Right/wrong and the politics of being on the right side

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
We all argue day in and day out about what's right or just.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...-was-never-incarcerated-now-faces-prison.html

Here is a chance to make a possible difference. A man/familys life hangs in the balance. As a nation do we believe in redemption or only when it suits our agenda or politics.

I believe in the rule of law, I am a byproduct of it, but I had to devestate the lives of those who surrounded me to gain my redemption.

Sign the petition and lets try to keep that from happening to this mans friends & family when it CLEARLY doesn't need too.

And yes I know this isn't really a political type thread but I think it's just as important as the insults we throw at each other daily in politics.

Here's what I think.

1. He did not serve his time. He knows this and was hoping it would all be forgotten but the law does have a way of catching up.

2. The state dropped the ball big time.

3. He committed the crime at a young and frequently stupid age where impulse rules over sense.

4. He is by all accounts a good family man and member of society.

He has to pay for what he did and he hasn't. The state fucked up so it is in their best interest to make some kind of plea offer and I think they should. I do not think the slate should just be wiped clean; that would be an injustice to the victim of his criminal actions.

If it were up to me, I would sentence him to 400 hours of community service, and would set up a program to send him to schools to speak to young men about the choices one makes in life, comparing his youthful stupidity to his adult life on the right side of the law. He has to pay something.

I will not sign the petition.

I agree with both of you. But prision is not the answer.

No, it's not and neither is a fine which just goes into the state coffers. He can do some good while he makes right for his actions. I think he can demonstrate that his choices since the crime show he has already learned how to make up for poor decisions. I wish him well.

You posted a duplicate thread to link to another thread to link to a ridiculous petition. Lock him up.

• Banned
Let's hope the mods move my duplicate thread. We can't have me disturbing the flow of bickering on the forum.
I felt this man and his family's plight was worthy of a thread in the most viewed forum AFTER I posted it in current events.

We either believe in redemption or we don't. I have no problem with someone who thinks he should serve his time. I do disagree but don't fucking whine about duplicate threads when every damn topic on this forum gets at least 3 or 4 threads dedicated to it.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...-was-never-incarcerated-now-faces-prison.html

Here is a chance to make a possible difference. A man/familys life hangs in the balance. As a nation do we believe in redemption or only when it suits our agenda or politics.

I believe in the rule of law, I am a byproduct of it, but I had to devestate the lives of those who surrounded me to gain my redemption.

Sign the petition and lets try to keep that from happening to this mans friends & family when it CLEARLY doesn't need too.

And yes I know this isn't really a political type thread but I think it's just as important as the insults we throw at each other daily in politics.

Nothing personal, but I disagree with your opinion. I'm glad to see this man turned his life around but he still hasn't paid his debt to society, and I agree with the DA, who said if we don't force him to serve his time it could to a become a slippery slope for other cases. I'm a firm believer if you do the crime you do the time. What if the guy had committed murder, would you still be as lenient with him?

State screwed up, and now wants a mulligan. Sorry, no jail time, the state had its chance and blew it.

Nothing personal, but I disagree with your opinion. I'm glad to see this man turned his life around but he still hasn't paid his debt to society, and I agree with the DA, who said if we don't force him to serve his time it could to a become a slippery slope for other cases. I'm a firm believer if you do the crime you do the time. What if the guy had committed murder, would you still be as lenient with him?

No I would not.

No I would not.

Well if they let this guy free and someone who commits murder finds himself in the same set of circumstances, he can say he should be free to because we have a statue.

In some states, Texas is one example, this wouldn't even be an issue, he would be credited with all the time he spent on thee street waiting to be arrested since it wasn't his fault that he was free.

Here's what I think.

1. He did not serve his time. He knows this and was hoping it would all be forgotten but the law does have a way of catching up.

2. The state dropped the ball big time.

3. He committed the crime at a young and frequently stupid age where impulse rules over sense.

4. He is by all accounts a good family man and member of society.

He has to pay for what he did and he hasn't. The state fucked up so it is in their best interest to make some kind of plea offer and I think they should. I do not think the slate should just be wiped clean; that would be an injustice to the victim of his criminal actions.

If it were up to me, I would sentence him to 400 hours of community service, and would set up a program to send him to schools to speak to young men about the choices one makes in life, comparing his youthful stupidity to his adult life on the right side of the law. He has to pay something.

I will not sign the petition.

The victim thinks he should be set free.

How could it be a slippery slope? The guy did everything he was supposed to, never hid, didn't escape, and lived an exemplary life. Forcing him into prison simply because the state didn't know he wasn't in prison until they tried to let him go is stupid.

No I would not.

Well if they let this guy free and someone who commits murder finds himself in the same set of circumstances, he can say he should be free to because we have a statue.

The word is precedent.

I would give him an SIS and put him on probation....The other thing that needs to be done is that certain crimes should have a statute of limitations..

How could it be a slippery slope? The guy did everything he was supposed to, never hid, didn't escape, and lived an exemplary life. Forcing him into prison simply because the state didn't know he wasn't in prison until they tried to let him go is stupid.

The reason for forcing him into prison is he was convicted by a jury of his peers for armed robbery and sentenced by a judge. Keep in mind armed robbery is no petty offense. The state made a mistake by sending him to prison. There's no reason why he should benefit from such a mistake. Should all criminals benefit when the government makes this kind of error? Furthermore we don't know whether the guy turned his life around and became a model citizen or not. There's evidence of that and the article written has that belief, but we don't know for sure. Wether he changed his ways or not is really irrelevant anyway. You do the crime you do the time. Period.

I would give him an SIS and put him on probation....The other thing that needs to be done is that certain crimes should have a statute of limitations..

Certain crimes do have a statue of limitations. Why should there be a statue of limitation for armed robbery?

The reason for forcing him into prison is he was convicted by a jury of his peers for armed robbery and sentenced by a judge. Keep in mind armed robbery is no petty offense. The state made a mistake by sending him to prison. There's no reason why he should benefit from such a mistake. Should all criminals benefit when the government makes this kind of error? Furthermore we don't know whether the guy turned his life around and became a model citizen or not. There's evidence of that and the article written has that belief, but we don't know for sure. Wether he changed his ways or not is really irrelevant anyway. You do the crime you do the time. Period.

Keep in mind that the state fucked up.

Forum List

Back