Romney's Bain Lie

Also, though factcheck said no dice on the 2nd, The Boston Globe as of the 12th said :

The Globe found nine SEC filings submitted by four different business entities after February 1999 that describe Romney as Bain Capital’s boss; some show him with managerial control over five Bain Capital entities that were formed in January 2002, according to records in Delaware, where they were incorporated

Government documents indicate Mitt Romney continued at Bain after date when he says he left - Politics - The Boston Globe

So factcheck may not have all the facts yet as they are still forthcoming.

12romneybain_docs.jpg

http://bostonglobe.com/news/politic...ays-left/IpfKYWjnrsel4pvCFbsUTI/igraphic.html

Like clockwork, I tell ya

:lol:

I got the ThinkProgress e-mail at 6:01pm

Jul 12, 2012 | By ThinkProgress War Room
It’s Time for Mitt Romney to Come Clean

An explosive report in today’s Boston Globe has raised even more questions about Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital and what he’s hiding in his tax returns.

:eusa_shhh:

These trolls fight over themselves to see who can first regurg the daily talking points before they are shot down.

LOL

Exactly why I try to subscribe to all the e-mails so I can keep track.

Here lately, The Blaze just straight to the Trash....
:cool:

You can bet the Clinton and McCain camps verified Obama's college credentials - as well as the U.S. Government. There ain't no there there...

All the big wingnuts know Obama's college education credentials are for real, but they like to keep the "birther" aspect of it alive.

Barack Obama attended Occidental College, but received his undergraduate degree in political science from Columbia University, an Ivy League member currently ranked 9th in the country by U.S. News and World Report.

President Obama also graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School, where he also served as President of the Harvard Law Review. Harvard Law School is ranked the second best Law School in America after Yale according to US News. (The most recognized law school rankings are those by US News and World Report).

His degree at Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.

His degree at Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

[Columbia COLLEGE is one of the undergraduate schools of Columbia UNIVERSITY. They are, essentially, the same school.]

What college degrees does Barack Obama have?

ummm.... wheres that college degree req't in the Constitution? :eusa_whistle: I'll wait.
It's 18 USC 1001.

If you lie to get a federal job, it's illegal. Simple. If you do it privately, they can immediately shitcan you.

Damn, I thought everyone knew this.

So, Obama claims to have these degrees. Where are his transcripts?

Are you crazy? That's part of the criminal code for gov't. I was talking about employers in general. And besides, a degree is not a requirement for running for political office.
Obama is a government employee. I never said a degree is required, but IF one claims they have one, then it IS required.

US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Romney may have committed felony lying about role with Bain

This is big news, as it backs up what the Obama campaign has been alleging - that Romney was still in charge of Bain when it outsourced US jobs - and this directly contradicts Factcheck.org's claim otherwise. From the Boston Globe:

Government documents filed by Mitt Romney and Bain Capital say Romney remained chief executive and chairman of the firm three years beyond the date he said he ceded control, even creating five new investment partnerships during that time.

Romney has said he left Bain in 1999 to lead the winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, ending his role in the company. But public Securities and Exchange Commission documents filed later by Bain Capital state he remained the firm’s “sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president.”

Also, a Massachusetts financial disclosure form Romney filed in 2003 states that he still owned 100 percent of Bain Capital in 2002. And Romney’s state financial disclosure forms indicate he earned at least $100,000 as a Bain “executive” in 2001 and 2002, separate from investment earnings.

It should be noted that David Corn broke this story a few weeks ago in a great piece everyone should read, though the Globe appears to have found additional disclosure forms to back up their case.

Oh but it gets worse. As Factcheck.org so graciously pointed out, if Mitt Romney lied in any federal forms about the extent of his role with Bain, Romney may have committed a felony. From Factcheck.org:

If the Obama campaign is correct [that Romney remained at Bain past 1999], then Romney is guilty of lying on official federal disclosure forms, committing a felony. But we don’t see evidence of that.

Here’s what Romney has said:

Mitt Romney Public Financial Disclosure Report, Aug. 11, 2011: Mr. Romney retired from Bain Capital on February 11, 1999 to head the Salt Lake Organizing Committee. Since February 11, 1999, Mr. Romney has not had any active role with any Bain Capital entity and has not been involved in the operations of any Bain Capital entity in any way.

Romney’s signature appears on the line that states: “I certify that statements I have made on this form and all attached schedules are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge.”

Making false statements to the federal government is a serious crime (under 18 USC 1001) carrying possible fines and up to five years in federal prison.

Senior Obama adviser David Axelrod has already weighed in on Twitter:

Based on Globe report, either Bain filed false SEC statements 1999-2002 about Mitt's status, or his campaign is making false statements now.

But Axelrod isn't even right about how bad this is. It's not an "either-or."

1. Romney told the SEC that he remained the firm’s "sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president" up until 2002.

2. But Romney said in a more recent financial disclosure form that he left Bain in 1999 - so the two federal forms contradict each other, at least one is a lie:

Mitt Romney Public Financial Disclosure Report, Aug. 11, 2011: Mr. Romney retired from Bain Capital on February 11, 1999 to head the Salt Lake Organizing Committee. Since February 11, 1999, Mr. Romney has not had any active role with any Bain Capital entity and has not been involved in the operations of any Bain Capital entity in any way.

In other words, Romney lied to the federal government either way. Either to the SEC, or in his more recent financial dislocure forms. And either one appears to be a felony.

MORE IN THE LINK!

Part of your story is missing. The rest is here:

J.W. Verrett, an attorney and economics scholar at George Washington University's Mercatus Center, also told Fox News that the original Globe report appeared to "be confused" about the SEC filings.
He noted they refer to "Bain Capital VI," which he described as an investment separate from Bain Capital itself.
"Saying that Governor Romney was the CEO of Bain Capital VI is like saying that I am the CEO of my retirement account ... it's a silly bit of legalese and it doesn't also mean I am CEO of all the companies in which I invest,"
he said in an email.

Read more: Presidential rivals trade charges of lying, Romney demands apology over 'felony' remark | Fox News

The time in question, Romney was CEO of BAIN CAPITAL VI which is a retirement account, not the company. He was the CEO of his own retirement account. Hardly a felony.

This aide who did this marvelous reporting ranks up there with Andrea Mitchell.

Last edited:
You can bet the Clinton and McCain camps verified Obama's college credentials - as well as the U.S. Government. There ain't no there there...

All the big wingnuts know Obama's college education credentials are for real, but they like to keep the "birther" aspect of it alive.

Barack Obama attended Occidental College, but received his undergraduate degree in political science from Columbia University, an Ivy League member currently ranked 9th in the country by U.S. News and World Report.

President Obama also graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School, where he also served as President of the Harvard Law Review. Harvard Law School is ranked the second best Law School in America after Yale according to US News. (The most recognized law school rankings are those by US News and World Report).

His degree at Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.

His degree at Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

[Columbia COLLEGE is one of the undergraduate schools of Columbia UNIVERSITY. They are, essentially, the same school.]

What college degrees does Barack Obama have?
Those aren't transcripts. I would say you knew that, but I wouldn't bet a nickel on that.

Romney either lied or committed a felony.

lol, remember when 'character matters' was the top conservative catch phrase?

When did they move past that?

It's 18 USC 1001.

If you lie to get a federal job, it's illegal. Simple. If you do it privately, they can immediately shitcan you.

Damn, I thought everyone knew this.

So, Obama claims to have these degrees. Where are his transcripts?

Are you crazy? That's part of the criminal code for gov't. I was talking about employers in general. And besides, a degree is not a requirement for running for political office.
Obama is a government employee. I never said a degree is required, but IF one claims they have one, then it IS required.

So why doesn't he undeal his records/ WHY was he vetted/ And WHOM vetted him ?

If Romney was indeed still in charge of Bain at the time, that means he knew and had to approve the Streicycle investment as well. Stericycle disposes of aborted fetuses, which means Romney would have made money off of abortion clinics.

US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Romney involved in business that disposed of aborted fetuses

Now lets find out if he really was still in charge or if ( as I strongly suspect ) it was an ON PAPER ONLY situation.

Only he wasn't in Charge, Just because some Government Bureaucrats failed to change the Paper work means nothing. Bain says he left before the Olympics and had Nothing to do with the Company after that point.

If there were a thread of truth to this Baseless, Irresponsible, Desperate and dishonest attack by the Obama team, then why not arrest him? Put your money where your mouth is Obama, You disgraceful Liar.

ROFLMAO

Romney calls Obama a Liar for Lying, and Obama's Team Responds with this Ridiculous Claim, and of course you just had to run with it.

The posters who are really seeking the truth, might visit factcheck.org more often...

That's funny. Many wingnuts discredit Politifact and Factcheck.org when they don't support their views.

That's how the brainwashed radical right wing mind works

Article/source that tells them what they want to hear = fair and balanced

Article/source that doesn't tell them what they want to hear = lib MSM lies.

US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Romney may have committed felony lying about role with Bain

This is big news, as it backs up what the Obama campaign has been alleging - that Romney was still in charge of Bain when it outsourced US jobs - and this directly contradicts Factcheck.org's claim otherwise. From the Boston Globe:

Government documents filed by Mitt Romney and Bain Capital say Romney remained chief executive and chairman of the firm three years beyond the date he said he ceded control, even creating five new investment partnerships during that time.

Romney has said he left Bain in 1999 to lead the winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, ending his role in the company. But public Securities and Exchange Commission documents filed later by Bain Capital state he remained the firm’s “sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president.”

Also, a Massachusetts financial disclosure form Romney filed in 2003 states that he still owned 100 percent of Bain Capital in 2002. And Romney’s state financial disclosure forms indicate he earned at least $100,000 as a Bain “executive” in 2001 and 2002, separate from investment earnings.

It should be noted that David Corn broke this story a few weeks ago in a great piece everyone should read, though the Globe appears to have found additional disclosure forms to back up their case.

Oh but it gets worse. As Factcheck.org so graciously pointed out, if Mitt Romney lied in any federal forms about the extent of his role with Bain, Romney may have committed a felony. From Factcheck.org:

If the Obama campaign is correct [that Romney remained at Bain past 1999], then Romney is guilty of lying on official federal disclosure forms, committing a felony. But we don’t see evidence of that.

Here’s what Romney has said:

Romney’s signature appears on the line that states: “I certify that statements I have made on this form and all attached schedules are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge.”

Making false statements to the federal government is a serious crime (under 18 USC 1001) carrying possible fines and up to five years in federal prison.

Senior Obama adviser David Axelrod has already weighed in on Twitter:

Based on Globe report, either Bain filed false SEC statements 1999-2002 about Mitt's status, or his campaign is making false statements now.

But Axelrod isn't even right about how bad this is. It's not an "either-or."

1. Romney told the SEC that he remained the firm’s "sole stockholder, chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and president" up until 2002.

2. But Romney said in a more recent financial disclosure form that he left Bain in 1999 - so the two federal forms contradict each other, at least one is a lie:

In other words, Romney lied to the federal government either way. Either to the SEC, or in his more recent financial dislocure forms. And either one appears to be a felony.

MORE IN THE LINK!

Part of your story is missing. The rest is here:

J.W. Verrett, an attorney and economics scholar at George Washington University's Mercatus Center, also told Fox News that the original Globe report appeared to "be confused" about the SEC filings.
He noted they refer to "Bain Capital VI," which he described as an investment separate from Bain Capital itself.
"Saying that Governor Romney was the CEO of Bain Capital VI is like saying that I am the CEO of my retirement account ... it's a silly bit of legalese and it doesn't also mean I am CEO of all the companies in which I invest,"
he said in an email.

Read more: Presidential rivals trade charges of lying, Romney demands apology over 'felony' remark | Fox News

The time in question, Romney was CEO of BAIN CAPITAL VI which is a retirement account, not the company. He was the CEO of his own retirement account. Hardly a felony.

This aide who did this marvelous reporting ranks up there with Andrea Mitchell.

The Obama admin, and the Media repeating this BS, know full well it's a lie, They don't care. They know it will muddy the waters and many people were believe it.

Facts no longer matter at all to these people.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back