Rush Limbaugh is cooked: The stunning fall of the right’s angriest bloviator

I know, I know - we've heard it before, but there's no denying the plain truth and the evidence. Sane people, I mean.

I predict he will quit his show in the next year when his contract expires. He will never get big money again, and his ego won't allow him to take any less.

Indianapolis' WIBC is just the latest station to drop him like a bad habit. His days of relevance are numbered

The bad news just keeps coming for conservative talker Rush Limbaugh.

Which bulletin was worse, though? The news in April that he was being dropped by WIBC in Indianapolis, a booming talk powerhouse that played home to Limbaugh’s radio show for more than two decades, or the news this week that the talker’s new address on the Indianapolis dial is going to be WNDE, a ratings doormat AM sports station that has so few listeners it trails the commercial-free classical music outlet in town?

The humbling, red-state tumble is just the latest setback for the conservative talker who has seen his once-golden career suffer a steady series of losses recently.

Divorced from successful, longtime affiliates in places like New York, Los Angeles, Boston, and Indianapolis, Limbaugh’s professional trajectory is heading downward. That’s confirmed by the second and third-tier stations he now calls home in those important media markets, and the fact that when his show became available, general managers up and down the dial passed on it. Apparently turned off by the show’s hefty price tag, sagging ratings, and disappearing advertisers, Limbaugh continues to be a very hard sell.

It’s a precipitous fall from the glory days when the host posted huge ratings numbers, had affiliates clamoring to join his network, and dictated Republican politics. All of that seems increasingly distant now. With his comically inflated, $50 million-a-year syndication deal set to expire next year, Limbaugh’s future seems uncertain. “Who would even want someone whose audience is aging and is considered toxic to many advertisers,” askedRadioInsight last month.

For Limbaugh, the troubles were marked by key events from 2012 and 2013. The first came in the form of Limbaugh’s Sandra Fluke implosion, where he castigated and insulted for days the graduate student who testified before Congress about health care and access to contraception, calling her a “slut” and suggesting she post videos of herself having sex on the Internet. The astonishing monologues sparked an unprecedented advertiser exodus.

The following year, as the host struggled to hang on to fleeing sponsors, radio industry giant Cumulus Media decided to negotiate its Limbaugh contract in public, making it clear through the press that the company was willing to cut ties with the pricey host in major cities where Cumulus owned talk radio stations. In the end, Limbaugh stayed with Cumulus stations, but the company sent a clear signal to the industry: Limbaugh was no longer an untouchable and general managers weren’t clamoring to hire him. Since then, the talker’s fortunes have only faded.

Another looming problem? Conservative talk radio is a “format fewer advertisers are interested in buying because of its aging audience,” noted radio consultant and self-identified Republican Darryl Parks. Limbaugh himself recently conceded a generational disconnect: “Now that I’ve outgrown the 25-54 demographic, I’m no longer confident that the way I see the world is the way everybody else does.

That disconnect may be fueling Limbaugh’s waning political influence. Once a mighty player whose ring was constantly kissed by Republicans, this campaign season seems to be unfolding with Limbaugh on the sidelines, his clout and his ability to drive the conversation seemingly surpassed by other conservative media players.

This is the real problem with con media. I think the average age for Faux News viewers is 65+. Kathy Griffin's mother's age group. As they aren't garnering younger viewers, same with Dimbaugh, the clock is ticking.

But how come Rush runs his normal complement of local/national ad spots when he has no advertisers? Something's not adding up. JoeyB? Entertain us with some of your normal lying b.s. to explain.

(Class, no laughing. It's not polite. Hell of a lot of fun but we must have compassion for such idiots.)

You mean PSA's and Gold Bugs?

Rush Limbaugh Rating Woes Continue No Audience For Hate-Filled Radio Troll Opinion

I think perhaps the most pleasurable aspect of watching Rush sink under the weight of his growing irrelevancy is what his situation proves: The market for hate and paranoia is smaller than you think. Hatemongers and partisan trolls are always trying to convince Americans that the are the voice of the people and that they’re saying what everyone else thinks or wants to say but can’t. Turns out, that’s not true.
He also plays his parodies when he has no commercial, although now he has political candidate ads buying his open slots at a discount.

I know, I know - we've heard it before, but there's no denying the plain truth and the evidence. Sane people, I mean.

I predict he will quit his show in the next year when his contract expires. He will never get big money again, and his ego won't allow him to take any less.

Indianapolis' WIBC is just the latest station to drop him like a bad habit. His days of relevance are numbered

Which bulletin was worse, though? The news in April that he was being dropped by WIBC in Indianapolis, a booming talk powerhouse that played home to Limbaugh’s radio show for more than two decades, or the news this week that the talker’s new address on the Indianapolis dial is going to be WNDE, a ratings doormat AM sports station that has so few listeners it trails the commercial-free classical music outlet in town?

The humbling, red-state tumble is just the latest setback for the conservative talker who has seen his once-golden career suffer a steady series of losses recently.

Divorced from successful, longtime affiliates in places like New York, Los Angeles, Boston, and Indianapolis, Limbaugh’s professional trajectory is heading downward. That’s confirmed by the second and third-tier stations he now calls home in those important media markets, and the fact that when his show became available, general managers up and down the dial passed on it. Apparently turned off by the show’s hefty price tag, sagging ratings, and disappearing advertisers, Limbaugh continues to be a very hard sell.

It’s a precipitous fall from the glory days when the host posted huge ratings numbers, had affiliates clamoring to join his network, and dictated Republican politics. All of that seems increasingly distant now. With his comically inflated, $50 million-a-year syndication deal set to expire next year, Limbaugh’s future seems uncertain. “Who would even want someone whose audience is aging and is considered toxic to many advertisers,” askedRadioInsight last month.

For Limbaugh, the troubles were marked by key events from 2012 and 2013. The first came in the form of Limbaugh’s Sandra Fluke implosion, where he castigated and insulted for days the graduate student who testified before Congress about health care and access to contraception, calling her a “slut” and suggesting she post videos of herself having sex on the Internet. The astonishing monologues sparked an unprecedented advertiser exodus.

The following year, as the host struggled to hang on to fleeing sponsors, radio industry giant Cumulus Media decided to negotiate its Limbaugh contract in public, making it clear through the press that the company was willing to cut ties with the pricey host in major cities where Cumulus owned talk radio stations. In the end, Limbaugh stayed with Cumulus stations, but the company sent a clear signal to the industry: Limbaugh was no longer an untouchable and general managers weren’t clamoring to hire him. Since then, the talker’s fortunes have only faded.

Another looming problem? Conservative talk radio is a “format fewer advertisers are interested in buying because of its aging audience,” noted radio consultant and self-identified Republican Darryl Parks. Limbaugh himself recently conceded a generational disconnect: “Now that I’ve outgrown the 25-54 demographic, I’m no longer confident that the way I see the world is the way everybody else does.

That disconnect may be fueling Limbaugh’s waning political influence. Once a mighty player whose ring was constantly kissed by Republicans, this campaign season seems to be unfolding with Limbaugh on the sidelines, his clout and his ability to drive the conversation seemingly surpassed by other conservative media players.

This is the real problem with con media. I think the average age for Faux News viewers is 65+. Kathy Griffin's mother's age group. As they aren't garnering younger viewers, same with Dimbaugh, the clock is ticking.

LOL...once again a low info dope tries to JoeyB the class with the old Fox news viewers average age is 65+ years. Yet with few exceptions primetime viewers in the all important 25-54 demo for Fox are greater than MSNBC and CNN combined.

Nice try though. Your fellow wishful thinkers will buy your tripe.

Hang on a sec.....I'm gonna go check the local station that I know used to carry Mr. Limbaugh........

(maybe sing a chorus of "Don' Worry Bees Happy" while I'm gone.

-----

-----

-----

-----

Sorry 'bout dat. Took longer than I expected. Yep. He's still on but I had to wait through 3-minutes of commercials to be sure it was him.

It was.

LOL...once again a low info dope tries to JoeyB the class with the old Fox news viewers average age is 65+ years. Yet with few exceptions primetime viewers in the all important 25-54 demo for Fox are greater than MSNBC and CNN combined.

Nice try though. Your fellow wishful thinkers will buy your tripe.

Tick tock.

Hang on a sec.....I'm gonna go check the local station that I know used to carry Mr. Limbaugh........

(maybe sing a chorus of "Don' Worry Bees Happy" while I'm gone.

-----

-----

-----

-----

Sorry 'bout dat. Took longer than I expected. Yep. He's still on but I had to wait through 3-minutes of commercials to be sure it was him.

It was.
Then you heard the Obama parody he played in place of an ad.

That would be useful if any of those numbers were all that big. In a population of some 310 million, only 2 or 3 million watch ANY news network with any regularity.

That would be useful if any of those numbers were all that big. In a population of some 310 million, only 2 or 3 million watch ANY news network with any regularity.
You missed the point again, stupid.
I was simply pointing out the low info fallacy that Fox's audience is comprised of folks whose average age 65+ years old.

So, what's it gonna be today, Joey? No ads during Rush's broadcast? Only local advertisers? The class is always interested in your lies of the day, so please don't let them down.

You missed the point again, stupid.
I was simply pointing out the low info fallacy that Fox's audience is comprised of folks whose average age 65+ years old.

So, what's it gonna be today, Joey? No ads during Rush's broadcast? Only local advertisers? The class is always interested in your lies of the day, so please don't let them down.

Have you ever met any hard core Faux News viewers? Those people are less informed than people who don't watch the news at all.

But it's okay. Please keep pretending that people love your bile as less companies want to be associated with it.

You didn't answer the question, Joey. Hurry, Rush will be on in mere minutes and we don't know if it's a commercial-free day, local advertisers only day, or any other combination of your various lies. Or, it might be time to come up with a new one. God knows you're extremely capable of it.

Imagine if Joey spent as much time cleaning the kitty box as he spends monitoring Mr. Limbaugh! He might even earn a compliment or two from neighbors - maybe even The City Department of Health!

Imagine if Joey spent as much time cleaning the kitty box as he spends monitoring Mr. Limbaugh! He might even earn a compliment or two from neighbors - maybe even The City Department of Health!

You seem attracted to one person that posts here. In fact you seem to be monitoring him.

Ouch, reality stings doesn't it.

You didn't answer the question, Joey. Hurry, Rush will be on in mere minutes and we don't know if it's a commercial-free day, local advertisers only day, or any other combination of your various lies. Or, it might be time to come up with a new one. God knows you're extremely capable of it.

Guy, i know you want to pretend your Dominican Pin-up boy is still loved...

But he really isn't.

But keep pretending that the fake agencies the Koch Brothers have set up are real advertisers.

But he really isn't.

But keep pretending that the fake agencies the Koch Brothers have set up are real advertisers.
Ah, the ball continues to bounce around in Joey's pea brain.

First, after lying to the class about Rush's complete lack of advertisers he then admitted his lie by criticising the "quality" of those advertisers he'd claimed didn't exist. Then he further admitted his lie by claiming his only advertisers were a handful of local companies, no national spots. But anyone who listens to the show knows that's another Joey lie. And now the ball has bounced again and advertisers that didn't exist but actually do aren't "real" advertisers.

Here's a tip Joey because I'm starting to feel a little sorry for you making such an ass out of yourself in here. Next time you decide to lie to support your agenda make it about something that isn't so easily disproved, assuming you're smart enough to do so of course.

But he really isn't.

Ah, the ball continues to bounce around in Joey's pea brain.

First, after lying to the class about Rush's complete lack of advertisers he then admitted his lie by criticising the "quality" of those advertisers he'd claimed didn't exist. Then he further admitted his lie by claiming his only advertisers were a handful of local companies, no national spots. But anyone who listens to the show knows that's another Joey lie. And now the ball has bounced again and advertisers that didn't exist but actually do aren't "real" advertisers.

Here's a tip Joey because I'm starting to feel a little sorry for you making such an ass out of yourself in here. Next time you decide to lie to support your agenda make it about something that isn't so easily disproved, assuming you're smart enough to do so of course.

You spend a lot of time smelling Dimbaugh's butt and defending that drug addict. You sound like a liar the way you talk.

Forum List

Back