Russell Wilson vs. Peyton Manning - Can Wilson Best Manning's Legacy?

Put Manning on the Seahawks and they wouldn't make the playoffs. Seattle's o-line is terrible at pass protection. Manning has all the mobility of the statue of liberty. Manning would get beaten like a drum if he played for Seattle and when Manning gets hit he crumbles like a stale cookie

You kidding? Manning with a decent line which Seattle is above average, they are winners. You are now sounding a bit crazy.

Seattle has a very good run blocking line. Their pass protection is terrible. Footballoutsiders has them at 24th in pass protection. They allowed 42 sacks in the regular season which ties them for 20th. Russell Wilson rushed 118 times this year and it's VERY rare that the Seahawks call a designed quarterback run. I would guess that Wilson had to scramble out of pressure on probably half of those (with read options making up the rest). So that's 42 sacks plus an estimated 59 scrambles....pfft. Manning wouldn't have survived the season.

How many of those sacks are due to Wilson not being able to make quick enough reads because of his lack of confidence in throwing from the pocket? I went to a game at Lambeau in 07. Favre's line was the worst I've ever seen. The rushers were in on him constantly but he had the confidence to take the hits and fling the rock and they eventually won a game they had no business winning.

With a similar quality line in 09 or 10, Rodgers wasn't making quick reads and the Packers then gave up the most sacks.
:lmao: zero. You can say a lot of things about Wilson but lacking confidence is not one of them. He throws just fine from the pocket BTW. Watch a game or two and you will see just how quickly defensive linemen blaze through Seattle's o-line, especially on the right side. They may as well put me out there at right tackle. I can get steamrolled just as effectively

Yea, WIlson is blazing with confidence; throwing 20 TDs and 200 yards per game. Peyton doubled Wilson's TDs this year and last year :lol: The fact that you even think to compare them shows how disassociated you are with reality.

Wilson also has the highest career quarterback rating in the playoffs in NFL history; better than Aikman, better than Favre, better than Montana, Marino, Rodgers, Brees, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr, Brady, Staubach, and yes far better than Manning. No quarterback in the history of the NFL has exploded in the playoffs like Russell Wilson has the last three years. I'd say he is pretty confident.

Impeccable Russell Wilson in rare company after another strong postseason performance HeraldNet.com - Seattle Sidelines

You kidding? Manning with a decent line which Seattle is above average, they are winners. You are now sounding a bit crazy.

Seattle has a very good run blocking line. Their pass protection is terrible. Footballoutsiders has them at 24th in pass protection. They allowed 42 sacks in the regular season which ties them for 20th. Russell Wilson rushed 118 times this year and it's VERY rare that the Seahawks call a designed quarterback run. I would guess that Wilson had to scramble out of pressure on probably half of those (with read options making up the rest). So that's 42 sacks plus an estimated 59 scrambles....pfft. Manning wouldn't have survived the season.

How many of those sacks are due to Wilson not being able to make quick enough reads because of his lack of confidence in throwing from the pocket? I went to a game at Lambeau in 07. Favre's line was the worst I've ever seen. The rushers were in on him constantly but he had the confidence to take the hits and fling the rock and they eventually won a game they had no business winning.

With a similar quality line in 09 or 10, Rodgers wasn't making quick reads and the Packers then gave up the most sacks.
:lmao: zero. You can say a lot of things about Wilson but lacking confidence is not one of them. He throws just fine from the pocket BTW. Watch a game or two and you will see just how quickly defensive linemen blaze through Seattle's o-line, especially on the right side. They may as well put me out there at right tackle. I can get steamrolled just as effectively

Yea, WIlson is blazing with confidence; throwing 20 TDs and 200 yards per game. Peyton doubled Wilson's TDs this year and last year :lol: The fact that you even think to compare them shows how disassociated you are with reality.

Wilson also has the highest career quarterback rating in the playoffs in NFL history; better than Aikman, better than Favre, better than Montana, Marino, Rodgers, Brees, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr, Brady, Staubach, and yes far better than Manning. No quarterback in the history of the NFL has exploded in the playoffs like Russell Wilson has the last three years. I'd say he is pretty confident.

man you sure school him.lol.

Impeccable Russell Wilson in rare company after another strong postseason performance HeraldNet.com - Seattle Sidelines

Anyone who tries to hang their hat on the flawed rating standard (shakes head).... Wilson is a game manager who has never thrown for 300 yards in a playoff game. The fact that you've anointed this guy as some all-time great....gee whiz..

Anyone who tries to hang their hat on the flawed rating standard (shakes head).... Wilson is a game manager who has never thrown for 300 yards in a playoff game. The fact that you've anointed this guy as some all-time great....gee whiz..

Ok you do realize that when a quarterback throws for over 300 yards, their team usually loses right? Go through the box scores for this season and count it up. I will bet you that when a quarterback throws for 300 yards their team loses 60% of the time or more.

BTW Wilson most certainly has thrown for 300 yards in a playoff game. 2012 at Atlanta where he passed for 385 yards. Here's the link to the box score. Seattle Seahawks vs. Atlanta Falcons - Box Score - January 13 2013 - ESPN Oh and guess what? They lost. You really should try knowing what you are talking about before you starting popping off with statements that are totally wrong.

Ok you do realize that when a quarterback throws for over 300 yards, their team usually loses right? Go through the box scores for this season and count it up. I will bet you that when a quarterback throws for 300 yards their team loses 60% of the time or more.

BTW Wilson most certainly has thrown for 300 yards in a playoff game. 2012 at Atlanta where he passed for 385 yards. Here's the link to the box score. Seattle Seahawks vs. Atlanta Falcons - Box Score - January 13 2013 - ESPN Oh and guess what? They lost. You really should try knowing what you are talking about before you starting popping off with statements that are totally wrong.

I realize that you make that claim. If a team loses its not because their QB did well either.

Lots of great points made in this thread. Peyton Manning has a lot of career passing yards and holds the all time TD record. But the guy is a conehead from outer space. Statswise, he's the Rafael Palmeiro of football. The greatest ever? What are you, a bean counter?

If you don't see the greatness of Russell Wilson right now, and you don't recognize his greatness, you might as well be any other ESPN pundit who makes the safe and uncontroversial choice every week.

Russell Wilson is head and shoulders above Manning in every way but actual height. Is he Montana? Is he Unitas? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He isn't close to that. But is he already better than Manning? No question.

Actually its impossible to compare Wilson to any of the other quarterback past and present. Seattle isn't a passing style team, its a run first and pass second.
Now with that said Russell Wilson is a better quarterback in one way that the other are not. He is a true field general and directs his team be it running the ball or passing if the situation warrants it. None of the other quarterback can do or has done that with the efficiency that Seattle and Wilson does.
Comparing Wilson to Manning, Brady, Romo etc. etc. is like comparing apples to oranges.

People want to compare Wilson to great quarterback of past and present who throw for 50 touchdown and 10K yards...it won't ever happen in Seattle under their system.

Put Manning on the Seahawks and they wouldn't make the playoffs. Seattle's o-line is terrible at pass protection. Manning has all the mobility of the statue of liberty. Manning would get beaten like a drum if he played for Seattle and when Manning gets hit he crumbles like a stale cookie

You took him to school big time,game over,checkmate.Blue Phantom wins.

Say's homer boy.

Lots of great points made in this thread. Peyton Manning has a lot of career passing yards and holds the all time TD record. But the guy is a conehead from outer space. Statswise, he's the Rafael Palmeiro of football. The greatest ever? What are you, a bean counter?

If you don't see the greatness of Russell Wilson right now, and you don't recognize his greatness, you might as well be any other ESPN pundit who makes the safe and uncontroversial choice every week.

Russell Wilson is head and shoulders above Manning in every way but actual height. Is he Montana? Is he Unitas? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He isn't close to that. But is he already better than Manning? No question.

Actually its impossible to compare Wilson to any of the other quarterback past and present. Seattle isn't a passing style team, its a run first and pass second.
Now with that said Russell Wilson is a better quarterback in one way that the other are not. He is a true field general and directs his team be it running the ball or passing if the situation warrants it. None of the other quarterback can do or has done that with the efficiency that Seattle and Wilson does.
Comparing Wilson to Manning, Brady, Romo etc. etc. is like comparing apples to oranges.

People want to compare Wilson to great quarterback of past and present who throw for 50 touchdown and 10K yards...it won't ever happen in Seattle under their system.

Carrol uses the talent he has and has gotten the most out of it. Wilson is one of the quickest thinking QB's I have ever saw. He reads and accesses all through the play and has the ability to read and adapt quickly. I call him a game manager and I think your field general is a better term.

I realize that you make that claim. If a team loses its not because their QB did well either.

Well just for shits and giggles I counted it up. Over the last three years (playoffs included and ignoring games where both quarterbacks passed for 300 yards) the win loss record for 300 yard quarterbacks is 129 - 154 for a 45% winning rate. Ok so 5% higher than I estimated, but still...when the quarterback throws for 300 yards they usually lose.

Well just for shits and giggles I counted it up. Over the last three years (playoffs included and ignoring games where both quarterbacks passed for 300 yards) the win loss record for 300 yard quarterbacks is 129 - 154 for a 45% winning rate. Ok so 5% higher than I estimated, but still...when the quarterback throws for 300 yards they usually lose.

You don't think that has something to do with the high amount of strong defensive teams that win? Or the fact that often a QB that has to throw for 300 yards often has a weak er RB? You've made a false correlation. If the Seahawks could get 300 yards from Wilson, they'd take it any day.

You don't think that has something to do with the high amount of strong defensive teams that win? Or the fact that often a QB that has to throw for 300 yards often has a weak er RB? You've made a false correlation. If the Seahawks could get 300 yards from Wilson, they'd take it any day.

Wilson has passed for 300 yards five times in his NFL career. Seattle is 3-2 in those games (which is a hell of a lot better than the average). No...quarterbacks pass for 300 yards because their team is getting stomped and they have to abandon the run and start heaving it down field in a desperate attempt to catch up. As the Seahawks rarely need to catch up to anyone there's no need for Wilson to throw all the time. Hence he rarely goes over 300 yards.

Lets look at the games where he DID throw for 300 yards.

2012 at Atlanta - Divisional Playoffs: Down 20-0 at the half Wilson goes on a second half tear passing for two touchdowns and rushing for one to take the lead with 31 seconds left in the game. Matt Ryan connects on a deep ball to Tony Gonzalez who beat Marcus Trufant and the Falcons kick a FG to win the game. In other words Wilson was behind and had to catch up and was absolutely clutch in his performance.

Seattle Seahawks vs. Atlanta Falcons - Box Score - January 13 2013 - ESPN

2013 at Carolina: Seahawks are down 7-3 at the half.Lynch has been averaging 2.5 yards per carry. Wilson goes on a second half tear completing a 43 yard TD pass to Jermaine Kearse in the 4th quarter to win the game. In other words, Wilson had to catch up.

Seattle Seahawks vs. Carolina Panthers - Box Score - September 08 2013 - ESPN

2013 vs. New Orleans: Seattle just dominated that game. Wilson threw 30 passes and went for over 300. Just one of those games where everything went right and the receivers had big gains whenever they caught a ball.

New Orleans Saints vs. Seattle Seahawks - Box Score - December 02 2013 - ESPN

2014 at St. Louis: Seahawks are down 21-6 at the half. Wilson goes on a second half tear passing for two touchdowns and running for one. St. Louis calls a fake punt on 4th down converting the first down and allowing them to run out the clock. In other words the Seahawks were losing and Wilson had to throw to catch up.

Seattle Seahawks vs. St. Louis Rams - Box Score - October 19 2014 - ESPN

2014 at Arizona: Again just a game that Seattle dominated from beginning to end. 31 attempts for Wilson and 339 yards with 2 TDs. Again just one of those games where every time a receiver caught the ball he went for a big gain.

Seattle Seahawks vs. Arizona Cardinals - Box Score - December 21 2014 - ESPN

So...most of the time when Wilson has thrown for 300 yards it's because Seattle was losing and Wilson had to put the team on his back to catch up. As Wilson has won 60% of the time he has thrown for 300 yards where the NFL average is 45%, I'd say Wilson is pretty solid and no....personally I don't want Wilson throwing for 300 yards. If that is happening the Seahawks are usually in big trouble.

Game 1 - In other words, Atlanta protected against the run and played a prevent secondary and Wilson finally had his first 300 yard game (I remember that game; that's exactly what they did. They went soft).....BTW, you can't even tell what games Seattle lost in your write-ups....

BTW, up to 2009, teams with 300 yard passers did well...Remember when 300 yard passing games were for losers Pro-football-reference.com blog Blog Archive

Also, Seattle would take 300 yards from Wilson any damn day. Within a typical game, it's not something he can typically do though. Of course Seattle is otherwise built upon field position management and defense. But your correlation that 300 yard games are bad is just totally fallacious.

Game 1 - In other words, Atlanta protected against the run and played a prevent secondary and Wilson finally had his first 300 yard game (I remember that game; that's exactly what they did. They went soft).....BTW, you can't even tell what games Seattle lost in your write-ups....

BTW, up to 2009, teams with 300 yard passers did well...Remember when 300 yard passing games were for losers Pro-football-reference.com blog Blog Archive

Also, Seattle would take 300 yards from Wilson any damn day. Within a typical game, it's not something he can typically do though. Of course Seattle is otherwise built upon field position management and defense. But your correlation that 300 yard games are bad is just totally fallacious.

Ok so your opinion is correct and the stats are wrong. Never mind that 300 yard passers lose 55% of the time. Gatsby says it's bullshit so we will go with that. That's right up there with the guy pointing out to Obama that every time the government has raised capital gains taxes that the government has collected less money and his answer was "well it won't this time" :wtf:

Ok so your opinion is correct and the stats are wrong. Never mind that 300 yard passers lose 55% of the time. Gatsby says it's bullshit so we will go with that. That's right up there with the guy pointing out to Obama that every time the government has raised capital gains taxes that the government has collected less money and his answer was "well it won't this time" :wtf:

Do you not know what correlation means? If 54 percent of people die at night and 46 percent of people die in the day, then that's a stat. Then for you to say that it's bad to go out at night cos you're more likely to die lunar rays is a very faulty correlation. That is basically what your 300 yard game is bad argument is. You're creating correlations that aren't there.

In fact, often QBs throw for 300 yards because the run sucks or their team is behind and teams are playing prevent or they're going for it on 4th down. Stuff like that is obviously going to drag the percent down. But if a qb dominates and throws for 300 yards, that is to the QB's credit and not to a team's detriment.

If you are down in the second half by 10 points are you going to run or try to catch up by passing? If you lead in the second half are you going to run the ball to use up more time, or are you going to pass?

When playing from behind the only chance you have is passing. Seattle uses a run offense first, them pass.

I really don't get TGG's point in this thread or his point of view in general.

This season isn't about Dan Marino. He might as well be dead as far as any impact he will have this weekend.

The only thing that can affect the outcome in the NFC as far as QBs go are Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. Then, it is on to AZ to find out who is the big winner in the NFL between Russell Wilson and Luck or Brady.

Wilson is the giant killer...the dragon slayer. He was the third round pick..the short guy. It's hard NOT to support his success.

What will this Gatsby fellow be complaining about on February 2?

How about the February after that one?

I get the feeling that somehow it is personal with this guy except he isn't here to support any team or QB...... just to downplay Wilson's accomplishments. Well maybe Marino ..but he isn't playing any more.

Did Wilson refuse to give him an autograph ? If so why ?

trolls pooper and disinfo agent rightwinger hate the truth bring told and seeing Gatsby being taken to school here by Blue Phantom.:asshole:

Not suprising THEY are the ones doing the agreeing ignoring the facts how Phantom won the chess game every time taking him to school.:biggrin::laugh:

I really don't get TGG's point in this thread or his point of view in general.

This season isn't about Dan Marino. He might as well be dead as far as any impact he will have this weekend.

The only thing that can affect the outcome in the NFC as far as QBs go are Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. Then, it is on to AZ to find out who is the big winner in the NFL between Russell Wilson and Luck or Brady.

Wilson is the giant killer...the dragon slayer. He was the third round pick..the short guy. It's hard NOT to support his success.

What will this Gatsby fellow be complaining about on February 2?

How about the February after that one?

I get the feeling that somehow it is personal with this guy except he isn't here to support any team or QB...... just to downplay Wilson's accomplishments. Well maybe Marino ..but he isn't playing any more.

Did Wilson refuse to give him an autograph ? If so why ?

Guess Wilson will have to beat another future hall of famer Brady in the superbowl before TGG can see the light that Blue Phantom has taken him to school here in every post before he can acknowledge the truth that Blue Phantom gave him a first class education here and won every chess match.

Seattle fans have become the new New England fans. They actually have convinced themselves that Russell fucking Wilson is better than Dan Marino!

May I suggest the next time you go to a grocery store you go to the produce department and pick up an apple and then find a orange, got that, now compare the two...see any difference in an apple and the orange?

Forum List

Back