Russia poses 'existential' threat to US

I have a friend who was career military and a historian. I asked him why Japan attacked in WWII, and he told me that the US wanted the Japanese to attack. Some sort of economic battle while we were playing isolationist. I have heard others on here say the same. I asked this same guy about Putin. He said Putin is pretty much your typical thug, but the tough part is he gave me some background on Russia's aggression in the Ukrain. I guess the US blatently screwed the Soviets after the Cold War by recruiting Eastern European nations into Nato. We had specific treaties saying we wouldn't do that. I love America. I love our freedom, but man, our leaders are the dirtiest slimiest scum on earth. Why would you ever make a deal with America? We ignore any promises we make. This isn't Republican or Democrat. This is both sides, and it is just rotten. Americans are at an all time low on their opinion of public officials. How does this get better? How can Americans get worthy people to lead America. I hate to bring up South Park, but their voting episode was priceless. The choice really is between a giant dousche and a turd sandwich.
Russia was devious in their agreements with the US also.....
Yep. The USSR took over Poland, Czechoslovakia, and so on, even though those countries were meant to have free elections after the war and retain their independence. Though Stalin unlike Hitler, knew when to quit.

Special Ops Chief Russia aims to divide NATO poses existential threat to US Fox News
Is Russia really that dangerous? It seems to me it doesn't succeed in dividing NATO and making its members to leave the alliance. I don't think Russia has any power to do that; it probably just wants to restore its influence on all former parts of USSR. Why can't we allow Russia to regain its regional power? It's not like we are losing anything. The more we put pressure on Russia the more aggressive it becomes. I don't want to die in a nuclear war because of some irrelevant eastern European state.
Nothing more than tried and true propaganda techniques that have been employed on US citizens since before any of us were even born. Our leaders in Washington need a threat to exist in order to convince the befuddled American populace on the need for sustained militarism. We may all die in a nuclear holocaust but it would not be due to Russian aggression. We are the aggressors, wake up.

We are the aggressors, wake up.

upload_2015-7-25_8-49-13.png

HiPeter, USSR is not Russia , wake up! However Russia had to pay all the external debts of all the 15 former republics, if anybody's curious.

Your map is nothing comparing to all the countries all over the world where the USA have their military bases or were bringing their "democracy" (meaning death, chaos, misery and many other pleasant things) during all their history.

upload_2015-7-25_10-22-45.png

upload_2015-7-25_10-23-49.png

Last edited:
hipeter924, You do realize that we are in the year 2015 and that the Soviet Union was dissolved 24 years ago, right. But this is boring, I am interested in your signature. Do you understand how a tyranny of plutocracy would manifest itself on the world stage?........Zombie.

In his Interview to the Italian newspaper Il Corriere della Sera Putin said:

"US military spending is higher than that of all countries in the world taken together. The aggregate military spending of NATO countries is 10 times, note – 10 times higher than that of the Russian Federation. Russia has virtually no bases abroad. We have the remnants of our armed forces (since Soviet times) in Tajikistan, on the border with Afghanistan, which is an area where the terrorist threat is particularly high. The same role is played by our airbase in Kyrgyzstan; it is also aimed at addressing the terrorist threat and was set up at the request of the Kyrgyz authorities after a terrorist attack perpetrated by terrorists from Afghanistan on Kyrgyzstan.

We have kept since Soviet times a military unit at a base in Armenia. It plays a certain stabilising role in the region, but it is not targeted against anyone. We have dismantled our bases in various regions of the world, including Cuba, Vietnam, and so on. This means that our policy in this respect is not global, offensive or aggressive.

I invite you to publish the world map in your newspaper and to mark all the US military bases on it. You will see the difference."

Interview to the Italian newspaper Il Corriere della Sera President of Russia

"US military spending is higher than that of all countries in the world taken together. The aggregate military spending of NATO countries is 10 times, note – 10 times higher than that of the Russian Federation. Russia has virtually no bases abroad. We have the remnants of our armed forces (since Soviet times) in Tajikistan, on the border with Afghanistan, which is an area where the terrorist threat is particularly high. The same role is played by our airbase in Kyrgyzstan; it is also aimed at addressing the terrorist threat and was set up at the request of the Kyrgyz authorities after a terrorist attack perpetrated by terrorists from Afghanistan on Kyrgyzstan.

We have kept since Soviet times a military unit at a base in Armenia. It plays a certain stabilising role in the region, but it is not targeted against anyone. We have dismantled our bases in various regions of the world, including Cuba, Vietnam, and so on. This means that our policy in this respect is not global, offensive or aggressive.

I invite you to publish the world map in your newspaper and to mark all the US military bases on it. You will see the difference."

It is one of those things that you wouldn't believe it if you weren't seeing it for your own eyes.

Con media and Faux News has convinced say 28% of the population that we are in constant ever present mortal danger at every moment from all these nations that are on a hair's trigger to destroy us. In other words they instill terror in that segment of the population and make the U.S. as the victim and something to be pitied and the rest of the world to be feared.

Yet we spend more on defense than the next 15 top nations combined. Then look at it from the viewpoint of all those other nations.

They must think our people insane.

It is one of those things that you wouldn't believe it if you weren't seeing it for your own eyes.

Con media and Faux News has convinced say 28% of the population that we are in constant ever present mortal danger at every moment from all these nations that are on a hair's trigger to destroy us. In other words they instill terror in that segment of the population and make the U.S. as the victim and something to be pitied and the rest of the world to be feared.

Yet we spend more on defense than the next 15 top nations combined. Then look at it from the viewpoint of all those other nations.

They must think our people insane.
I do agree but I think 28% is a very modest figure especially in the case of Russia.

hipeter924, You do realize that we are in the year 2015 and that the Soviet Union was dissolved 24 years ago, right. But this is boring, I am interested in your signature. Do you understand how a tyranny of plutocracy would manifest itself on the world stage?........Zombie.
How so? Russia invaded Finland and will never give the territory back, and likewise it invaded Japan and seized the Kuril Islands that it also refuses to give back, and it took territory from Poland and Germany. This is all in today.

You rage about the evils of 'American imperialism' yet ignore the imperialism of the nation-state you are defending. Russia is by no means an innocent bystander, whether you are talking about the Russian Empire of Catherine the Great, Soviet Russia, or Russia today.

Likewise Russia would like nothing more than to create distrust and civil disturbances in the Baltic's, Poland, and so on: Vladimir Putin wants to regain Finland for Russia adviser says - Europe - World - The Independent
After annexing Crimea and with troops massed on the border of Ukraine, Vladimir Putin will not stop trying to expand Russia until he has “conquered” Belarus, the Baltic states and Finland, one of his closest former advisers has said.

According to Andrej Illarionov, the President’s chief economic adviser from 2000 to 2005, Mr Putin seeks to create “historical justice” with a return to the days of the last Tsar, Nicholas II, and the Soviet Union under Stalin.

Speaking to the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, Mr Illarionov warned that Russia will argue that the granting of independence to Finland in 1917 was an act of “treason against national interests”.

“Putin’s view is that he protects what belongs to him and his predecessors,” Mr Illarionov said.

You are a useful idiot for Russia, if you believe that there is such a thing as a 'moral high ground' and that only Russia is on it. I pointed out how naive it is to claim that only America has engaged in imperialism in modern or earlier times, but obviously you have been too sucked in by the propaganda of one side to see that.

I suppose that if we asked the people who live by Russia they would have a different take on it. The left bitches that our foreign policy is us just for creating a supposed empire and there is definitely evidence to suggest that but the minute Russia wants to do the same then it is ok. Just where the hell does the lefts loyalties lye?

Their is another reason for our high expenditures in the military. Much of our diplomacy is backed by military aid.
Yep, and a lot of countries rely on America for support when there is an emergency or natural disaster. The spending is too high given America's population and national debt woes, but at the same time, if the US military wasn't there things would be a lot worse.

How so? Russia invaded Finland and will never give the territory back, and likewise it invaded Japan and seized the Kuril Islands that it also refuses to give back, and it took territory from Poland and Germany. This is all in today.

You rage about the evils of 'American imperialism' yet ignore the imperialism of the nation-state you are defending. Russia is by no means an innocent bystander, whether you are talking about the Russian Empire of Catherine the Great, Soviet Russia, or Russia today.

Likewise Russia would like nothing more than to create distrust and civil disturbances in the Baltic's, Poland, and so on: Vladimir Putin wants to regain Finland for Russia adviser says - Europe - World - The Independent
After annexing Crimea and with troops massed on the border of Ukraine, Vladimir Putin will not stop trying to expand Russia until he has “conquered” Belarus, the Baltic states and Finland, one of his closest former advisers has said.

According to Andrej Illarionov, the President’s chief economic adviser from 2000 to 2005, Mr Putin seeks to create “historical justice” with a return to the days of the last Tsar, Nicholas II, and the Soviet Union under Stalin.

Speaking to the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet, Mr Illarionov warned that Russia will argue that the granting of independence to Finland in 1917 was an act of “treason against national interests”.

“Putin’s view is that he protects what belongs to him and his predecessors,” Mr Illarionov said.

You are a useful idiot for Russia, if you believe that there is such a thing as a 'moral high ground' and that only Russia is on it. I pointed out how naive it is to claim that only America has engaged in imperialism in modern or earlier times, but obviously you have been too sucked in by the propaganda of one side to see that.
This is all nonsense. You are still citing WWII and Russian-American agents to build a non existent case against Putin with propaganda that is more than a year old and has never come to fruition. The propaganda that you present is the same as the propaganda that the OP presented. It is unsubstantiated allegations that crumble under the weight of truth and time. The intent of the propaganda is to instill in the minds of the uncritical Western reader a fear of Putin's Russia so the powers that be can continue their war unmolested by public opinion. It is you who lacks the integrity to question what your leaders are doing that represents the useful idiot.

I suppose that if we asked the people who live by Russia they would have a different take on it. The left bitches that our foreign policy is us just for creating a supposed empire and there is definitely evidence to suggest that but the minute Russia wants to do the same then it is ok. Just where the hell does the lefts loyalties lye?
the minute Russia wants to do the same then it is ok

But where is the evidence of that? Keep in mind that all that has transpired in Ukraine was precipitated by an illegal coup orchestrated by the West.

Special Ops Chief Russia aims to divide NATO poses existential threat to US Fox News
Is Russia really that dangerous? It seems to me it doesn't succeed in dividing NATO and making its members to leave the alliance. I don't think Russia has any power to do that; it probably just wants to restore its influence on all former parts of USSR. Why can't we allow Russia to regain its regional power? It's not like we are losing anything. The more we put pressure on Russia the more aggressive it becomes. I don't want to die in a nuclear war because of some irrelevant eastern European state.

Why not let the Nazis cook the Jews? It's not like we were losing anything.

(Extreme sarcasm)

But US and Britain already let! Who blocks the all seaports of Germany, when Hitler wanted to send off all Jews from country?

Forum List

Back