S.C. GOP goes full bizarro: Militarizes ALL state residents in case of invasion??!!

The bill is a pre-emptive move, should Congress pass or the president order gun restrictions, amid the continued debate over the mass killing in December of 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school.

More ignorance and idiocy from the right.

If enacted this measure would be in violation of the Supremacy Clause of the US Constitution.

Federal law and decisions by the Federal courts are binding on the states; Federal law trumps state laws, and the states may not pre-empt, nullify, or otherwise ignore Federal statutes. See: Cooper v. Aaron (1958).

See Colorado, California, and Washington pot laws.

See: Gonzales v. Raich (2005)

Funny, that's the SAME EXACT THING one of the Father's of the Bill of Rights, George Mason, said regarding who exactly belongs to the Militia. Seems you're too dense to understand the reasoning behind their thinking. They wish to preserve the integrity of the US Constitution against the oppresiveness of the Federal Govt. You know, much like they did at the start of the 1st Civil War in this nation.

George Mason was a great man, but I don't think you understand that the Founders, George Mason included, were talking about the military taking over the government and not the government taking over the people, because the Founders made it so a government could be voted out.

If you respected Jesus Christ, you wouldn't have a avatar with J C written on it. You run your mouth about fighting our government and use your dad as a Marine for your credentials. I was a Marine and I'm not going to allow anyone to take over the government while I'm alive.

First off you scrote sob, I don't "use" anyones credentials, I was a Marine 80-84, (Paris Island, SOI East, 1/8 24th MAU spending almost 7 months in Lebanon, Honorably discharged), as was my Grandfather, Father and oldest son, 0311 as a matter of fact you REMF prick. As for the intent of the Founders, they're own words show your opinion to be full of crap, wrong and not based on anything the Founders said or wrote because they NEVER mentioned anythng ab out the military taking over the govt, they said the EXACT opposite dumbass. They were afraid of the govt using the military to oppress and enslave the people. Educate yourself.

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms." (Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer (1788) at 169)

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants" (Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939)

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.... Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins." (Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment [ I Annals of Congress at 750 {August 17, 1789}])

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380)

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States" (Noah Webster in `An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution', 1787, a pamphlet aimed at swaying Pennsylvania toward ratification, in Paul Ford, ed., Pamphlets on the Constitution of the United States, at 56(New York, 1888))

"...if raised, whether they could subdue a Nation of freemen, who know how to prize liberty, and who have arms in their hands?" (Delegate Sedgwick, during the Massachusetts Convention, rhetorically asking if an oppressive standing army could prevail, Johnathan Elliot, ed., Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution, Vol.2 at 97 (2d ed., 1888))

"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights..." (Alexander Hamilton speaking of standing armies in Federalist 29.)

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." (Tench Coxe in `Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution' under the Pseudonym `A Pennsylvanian' in the Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789 at 2 col. 1)

"The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 (Univ. of Alabama Press,1975)..)

"The great object is that every man be armed" and "everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution. Debates and other Proceedings of the Convention of Virginia,...taken in shorthand by David Robertson of Petersburg, at 271, 275 2d ed. Richmond, 1805. Also 3 Elliot, Debates at 386)

As for your nonsense about people taking over the govt, you're once agian showing yourself to be a moron. NOBODY is saying anything about taking over the govt, what we ARE saying is we won't allow the govt to run rampant over the rights of people. Now you can be a good little Nazi and follow and support a govt that tramples on the rights of "We the People", that's your right and your choice, but don't expect any accolades from the Patriots in this nation if that's the course of action you take. There's plenty of dirt in this nation for those who wish to see tyranny prevail. Maybe while you're educating yourself on the intents and words of our Founders regarding the need for an armed citizenry you may want to brush up on the words of the Document those Founders used to actually Found this nation, paying close attention to the boldened portions;

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government..............

Now to my shirt. I respect the Lord, I honor the Lord, I follow the Lord and my shirt is actually not only an advertisemet to that fact, as it says JC, the Original Superhero, it is a bold testimony to that fact and a good opening to share the truths of the Lord with others. Now your jesus may be some whimpy assed maggot that is offended by a shirt that calls him a superhero, My Jesus on the other hand is not so easily offended by public proclomations of His greatness and is actually happy with those who proclaim Him publically. Run along now son, it's obvious you have plenty of studying to do.

That’s an awful lot of cutting and pasting to create a post having nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

Seriously, why would anyone want to invade SC? What's there?

The coast is incredible! Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, That stretch is all about 2.5 hours total length, and is the best kept secret in America. Charleston was recently voted the #1 tourist city in the WORLD by Conde Naste Travel.

However, inland the state is a redneck nightmare of Tea Party dominated idiocy.

Yeah, I like coastal SC, but honestly, I don't think al-Qaeda or communists are going to invade for the Spanish moss or a round of 18.

Seriously, why would anyone want to invade SC? What's there?

The coast is incredible! Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head, That stretch is all about 2.5 hours total length, and is the best kept secret in America. Charleston was recently voted the #1 tourist city in the WORLD by Conde Naste Travel.

However, inland the state is a redneck nightmare of Tea Party dominated idiocy.

Yeah, I like coastal SC, but honestly, I don't think al-Qaeda or communists are going to invade for the Spanish moss or a round of 18.

The Yankees invaded them in 1864...... They could do it again

George Mason was a great man, but I don't think you understand that the Founders, George Mason included, were talking about the military taking over the government and not the government taking over the people, because the Founders made it so a government could be voted out.

If you respected Jesus Christ, you wouldn't have a avatar with J C written on it. You run your mouth about fighting our government and use your dad as a Marine for your credentials. I was a Marine and I'm not going to allow anyone to take over the government while I'm alive.

First off you scrote sob, I don't "use" anyones credentials, I was a Marine 80-84, (Paris Island, SOI East, 1/8 24th MAU spending almost 7 months in Lebanon, Honorably discharged), as was my Grandfather, Father and oldest son, 0311 as a matter of fact you REMF prick. As for the intent of the Founders, they're own words show your opinion to be full of crap, wrong and not based on anything the Founders said or wrote because they NEVER mentioned anythng ab out the military taking over the govt, they said the EXACT opposite dumbass. They were afraid of the govt using the military to oppress and enslave the people. Educate yourself.

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms." (Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer (1788) at 169)

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms....The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants" (Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William S. Smith in 1787. Taken from Jefferson, On Democracy 20, S. Padover ed., 1939)

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.... Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins." (Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment [ I Annals of Congress at 750 {August 17, 1789}])

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380)

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States" (Noah Webster in `An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution', 1787, a pamphlet aimed at swaying Pennsylvania toward ratification, in Paul Ford, ed., Pamphlets on the Constitution of the United States, at 56(New York, 1888))

"...if raised, whether they could subdue a Nation of freemen, who know how to prize liberty, and who have arms in their hands?" (Delegate Sedgwick, during the Massachusetts Convention, rhetorically asking if an oppressive standing army could prevail, Johnathan Elliot, ed., Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution, Vol.2 at 97 (2d ed., 1888))

"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights..." (Alexander Hamilton speaking of standing armies in Federalist 29.)

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." (Tench Coxe in `Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution' under the Pseudonym `A Pennsylvanian' in the Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1789 at 2 col. 1)

"The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 (Univ. of Alabama Press,1975)..)

"The great object is that every man be armed" and "everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution. Debates and other Proceedings of the Convention of Virginia,...taken in shorthand by David Robertson of Petersburg, at 271, 275 2d ed. Richmond, 1805. Also 3 Elliot, Debates at 386)

As for your nonsense about people taking over the govt, you're once agian showing yourself to be a moron. NOBODY is saying anything about taking over the govt, what we ARE saying is we won't allow the govt to run rampant over the rights of people. Now you can be a good little Nazi and follow and support a govt that tramples on the rights of "We the People", that's your right and your choice, but don't expect any accolades from the Patriots in this nation if that's the course of action you take. There's plenty of dirt in this nation for those who wish to see tyranny prevail. Maybe while you're educating yourself on the intents and words of our Founders regarding the need for an armed citizenry you may want to brush up on the words of the Document those Founders used to actually Found this nation, paying close attention to the boldened portions;

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government..............

Now to my shirt. I respect the Lord, I honor the Lord, I follow the Lord and my shirt is actually not only an advertisemet to that fact, as it says JC, the Original Superhero, it is a bold testimony to that fact and a good opening to share the truths of the Lord with others. Now your jesus may be some whimpy assed maggot that is offended by a shirt that calls him a superhero, My Jesus on the other hand is not so easily offended by public proclomations of His greatness and is actually happy with those who proclaim Him publically. Run along now son, it's obvious you have plenty of studying to do.

That’s an awful lot of cutting and pasting to create a post having nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

And here we have anohter moron spewing off at the mouth with out an ounce of shame regarding their ignorance. If you look to the red highlighted section of the post I was responding to you will see that the quotes I posted are germaine to the discussion I was having with that poster. Try to keep up, or at least try to refrain from showing your ignorance for the world to see.

Forum List

Back