Sandy Hook families can sue gun manufacturers.

Should crime victims be able to sue gun manufacturers?

• Total voters
I'm a guy who gets sick and tired of watching children get wheeled out in body bags because you have a fetish. I used to be one oyou wingnuts, making these same arguments.. until I realized I couldn't.

Used to be a time the NRA supported common sense gun laws. In the 1960s, when armed terrorists like the Weathermen and the Black Panthers were running amok, Republicans supported gun laws and the NRA helped write them and no one talked any crazy shit about how we needs our guns to overthrow the gummit.

You will never overthrow the government, but you are racking up a lot of preschoolers. People like you made Adam Lanza possible.

yep, let's "make America great again" by coming together on common sense gun regulations.

AR-15s were one of 18 semiautomatic weapons banned under a 1994 law that expired in 2004 despite broad public support and a drop in gun fatalities
_85917464_hi029417401.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has unveiled new gun control laws in the wake of the deadly Oregon school shooting.

She proposes abolishing legislation that protects gun makers and dealers from being sued by shooting victims.

Mrs Clinton also vowed to use executive powers as president to expand background checks at gun shows and ban domestic abusers from purchasing guns.

The issue of gun control is a hugely divisive issue in the US.

Her announcement comes after a deadly shooting at Umqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, last week left eight students and a teacher dead.

She told a rally in New Hampshire: "I will try every way I can to get those guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

"We need to prevent these kinds of terrible crimes that are happening."

Hillary Clinton wants gun firms liable for shootings - BBC News

Who Has Guns and How Are They Acquired? | National Institute of Justice

Gangs and Gun-Related Homicide

Gun-related homicide is most prevalent among gangs and during the commission of felony crimes. In 1980, the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during arguments was about the same as from gang involvement (about 70 percent), but by 1993, nearly all gang-related homicides involved guns (95 percent), whereas the percentage of gun homicides related to arguments remained relatively constant. The percentage of gang-related homicides caused by guns fell slightly to 92 percent in 2008, but the percentage of homicides caused by firearms during the commission of a felony rose from about 60 percent to about 74 percent from 1980 to 2005.[5]

NIJ's earliest firearms studies uncovered who owns guns, legally and illegally, and how illegal gun trafficking is tied to juvenile gun violence and other crimes such as drug dealing and gang crime. Highlights of these studies:

• Many juveniles and young adults can easily obtain guns illegally; most claim to carry them for self-defense.
  • A study of persons arrested for a wide range of crimes showed that a higher percentage of arrestees than regular citizens own firearms. Arrestees are also more likely to be injured or killed by gun violence. Within a community, this amounts to an identifiable group of “career” offenders.
  • Surveys of offenders have found that they prefer newer, high-quality guns and may steal or borrow them; most, however, acquire guns “off the street” through the illicit gun market.

Federal Assault Weapons Ban Expires
September 13, 2004 at 12:00 AM EDT

JIM LEHRER: Now, the assault weapons ban. The ten-year-old law expires at midnight tonight. It outlaws 19 types of military- style semiautomatic assault weapons, as well as ammunition clips holding more than ten rounds.

Republican congressional leaders declined to bring reauthorizing legislation to the floor for debate or vote, saying there were not enough votes to pass it.

We get reaction to the end of the ban now from two very different perspectives. Gil Kerlikowske is chief of the Seattle Police Department. Wayne LaPierre is executive vice president and chief executive officer of the National Rifle Association. Chief Kerlikowske, first, what is your reading of what the impact of the failure to extend this ban is going to be?

GIL KERLIKOWSKE: Well, I think it sends a terrible signal to America’s law enforcement officers. This was a ban that ten years ago was put into place because of chiefs and sheriffs and the legitimate organizations that represent line officers and deputies.

I think it also sends a terrible message to America’s communities. The last thing we need are more military-style assault weapons on the streets of this country.

JIM LEHRER: Is there any question in your mind, Chief, that the lifting of the ban will in fact cause that to happen? There will be more of these weapons going on the streets?

GIL KERLIKOWSKE: There’s no question that there will be more weapons on the streets. Right now, the companies are taking orders in advance of the sunset provision.

We know that people will buy them and that unfortunately they will get stolen from their homes and out of their cars. And they are going to proliferate on our streets.

JIM LEHRER: And the end result of that proliferation would be what in your opinion?

GIL KERLIKOWSKE: A couple of things: One is that our law enforcement officers, my officers in Seattle, the others around this country, face enough danger right now.

They do not need to face the additional danger of additional weapons. We also know that when the family gun becomes an assault weapon, then that’s the gun that’s going to be stolen and will get out on our streets.

Wanna hear something funny? Joey claims he owns guns, yet he wants no one else to have them. Lol.

when did I claim to own guns?

Now, I fired a shitload of guns. It's kind of a job requirement when you are in the Army. But I've never owned one and have no desire to.

I just see no good reason why a civilian should have a gun. Self Defense never happens with them, at least not enough to balance out the deaths they cause. They make us less free because the government arms itself more than we do. (40% of gun sales are to government agencies.)

33,000 deaths.
70,000 injuries
$270,000,000,000 in economic losses.

EVERY YEAR.

The bottom line is that most gun control laws are aimed at the "law abiding" population of America, and would be highly unlikely to control any of the true violence and mayhem caused by gangs and criminals, as this segment of the population largely IGNORES laws. Hence the reason why we call them "criminals." Lol. :D

Wanna hear something funny? Joey claims he owns guns, yet he wants no one else to have them. Lol.

Now, I fired a shitload of guns. It's kind of a job requirement when you are in the Army. But I've never owned one and have no desire to.

I just see no good reason why a civilian should have a gun. Self Defense never happens with them, at least not enough to balance out the deaths they cause. They make us less free because the government arms itself more than we do. (40% of gun sales are to government agencies.)

33,000 deaths.
70,000 injuries

EVERY YEAR.

You told me and others before that you owned guns. Are you taking that back now? Hmm. Interesting. Very interesting. :D

I'm a guy who gets sick and tired of watching children get wheeled out in body bags because you have a fetish. I used to be one oyou wingnuts, making these same arguments.. until I realized I couldn't.

Used to be a time the NRA supported common sense gun laws. In the 1960s, when armed terrorists like the Weathermen and the Black Panthers were running amok, Republicans supported gun laws and the NRA helped write them and no one talked any crazy shit about how we needs our guns to overthrow the gummit.

You will never overthrow the government, but you are racking up a lot of preschoolers. People like you made Adam Lanza possible.

yep, let's "make America great again" by coming together on common sense gun regulations.

AR-15s were one of 18 semiautomatic weapons banned under a 1994 law that expired in 2004 despite broad public support and a drop in gun fatalities
_85917464_hi029417401.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has unveiled new gun control laws in the wake of the deadly Oregon school shooting.

She proposes abolishing legislation that protects gun makers and dealers from being sued by shooting victims.

Mrs Clinton also vowed to use executive powers as president to expand background checks at gun shows and ban domestic abusers from purchasing guns.

The issue of gun control is a hugely divisive issue in the US.

Her announcement comes after a deadly shooting at Umqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, last week left eight students and a teacher dead.

She told a rally in New Hampshire: "I will try every way I can to get those guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

"We need to prevent these kinds of terrible crimes that are happening."

Hillary Clinton wants gun firms liable for shootings - BBC News
The 2nd A was written to include overthrowing a tyrannical government. Your lack of knowledge on the subject is amazing. This has been known for 250 years already, what's it going to take for you?

The so called common sense gun legislation was , like most liberals policies and didn't do jack shit for crime or murder but don't let the facts bump your ass on the way out the door.

33,000 deaths.
70,000 injuries

EVERY YEAR.

How many of those 33,000 deaths are due to suicide, dishonest POS? :D

September 13, 2004 at 12:00 AM EDT

JIM LEHRER: Now, the assault weapons ban. The ten-year-old law expires at midnight tonight. It outlaws 19 types of military- style semiautomatic assault weapons, as well as ammunition clips holding more than ten rounds.

Republican congressional leaders declined to bring reauthorizing legislation to the floor for debate or vote, saying there were not enough votes to pass it.

We get reaction to the end of the ban now from two very different perspectives. Gil Kerlikowske is chief of the Seattle Police Department. Wayne LaPierre is executive vice president and chief executive officer of the National Rifle Association. Chief Kerlikowske, first, what is your reading of what the impact of the failure to extend this ban is going to be?

GIL KERLIKOWSKE: Well, I think it sends a terrible signal to America’s law enforcement officers. This was a ban that ten years ago was put into place because of chiefs and sheriffs and the legitimate organizations that represent line officers and deputies.

I think it also sends a terrible message to America’s communities. The last thing we need are more military-style assault weapons on the streets of this country.

JIM LEHRER: Is there any question in your mind, Chief, that the lifting of the ban will in fact cause that to happen? There will be more of these weapons going on the streets?

GIL KERLIKOWSKE: There’s no question that there will be more weapons on the streets. Right now, the companies are taking orders in advance of the sunset provision.

We know that people will buy them and that unfortunately they will get stolen from their homes and out of their cars. And they are going to proliferate on our streets.

JIM LEHRER: And the end result of that proliferation would be what in your opinion?

GIL KERLIKOWSKE: A couple of things: One is that our law enforcement officers, my officers in Seattle, the others around this country, face enough danger right now.

They do not need to face the additional danger of additional weapons. We also know that when the family gun becomes an assault weapon, then that’s the gun that’s going to be stolen and will get out on our streets.

That's cute. You stupidly posted the opinion of a liberal appointed cheif in a very liberal city and failed to post the counter argument. That's a bit too obvious. You need to step up your game.

feel free to follow the link i provided, to see the rest of the piece... you're welcome.

America Doesn't Have a Gun Problem, It Has a Gang Problem

Chicago's murder numbers have hit that magic 500. Baltimore's murder toll has passed 200. In Philly, it's up to 324, the highest since 2007. In Detroit, it's approaching 400, another record. In New Orleans, it's almost at 200.New York City is down to 414 from 508. In Los Angeles, it's over 500. In St. Louis it's 113 and 130 in Oakland. It’s 121 in Memphis and 76 in Birmingham.

Washington, D.C., home of the boys and girls who can solve it all, is nearing its own big 100.

Those 12 cities alone account for nearly 3,200 dead and nearly a quarter of all murders in the United States. And we haven't even visited sunny Atlanta or chilly Cleveland.

These cities are the heartland of America’s real gun culture. It isn’t the bitter gun-and-bible clingers in McCain and Romney territory who are racking up a more horrifying annual kill rate than Al Qaeda; it’s Obama’s own voting base.

Chicago, where Obama delivered his victory speech, has homicide numbers that match all of Japan and are higher than Spain, Poland and pre-war Syria. If Chicago gets any worse, it will find itself passing the number of murders for the entire country of Canada.

Chicago’s murder rate of 15.65 per 100,000 people looks nothing like the American 4.2 rate, the Midwestern 4.5 or the Illinois’ 5.6 rates, but it does look like the murder rates in failed countries like Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Zimbabwe. To achieve Chicago’s murder rate, African countries usually have to experience a bloody genocidal civil war or decades of tyranny.

But Chicago isn’t even all that unique. Or the worst case scenario. That would be New Orleans which at an incredible 72.8 murder rate is ten times higher than the national average. If New Orleans were a country, it would have the 2nd highest murder rate in the world, beating out El Salvador.

Louisiana went red for Romney 58 to 40, but Orleans Parish went blue for Obama 80 to 17.

St. Louis has a murder rate just a little lower than Belize. Baltimore has a worse murder rate than South Africa and Detroit has a worse murder rate than Colombia. Obama won both St. Louis and Baltimore by comfortable margins. He won Detroit’s Wayne County 73 to 26.

Homicide rates like these show that something is broken, but it isn’t broken among the Romney voters rushing to stock up on assault rifles every time Obama begins threatening their right to buy them; it’s broken among Obama’s base.

Any serious conversation about gun violence and gun culture has to begin at home; in Chicago, in Baltimore, in New York City, in Los Angeles and in Washington, D.C.

Voting for Obama does not make people innately homicidal. Just look at Seattle which is agonizing over its 26 murders. That's about the same number of murders as East St. Louis which has only 27,000 people to Seattle's 620,000.

So what is happening in Chicago to drive it to the gates of hell ahead of Zimbabwe and Rwanda?

A breakdown of the Chicago killing fields shows that 83% of those murdered in Chicago last year had criminal records. In Philly, it’s 75%. In Milwaukee it’s 77% percent. In New Orleans, it’s 64%. In Baltimore, it’s 91%. Many were felons who had served time. And as many as 80% of the homicides were gang related.

The bottom line is that most gun control laws are aimed at the "law abiding" population of America, and would be highly unlikely to control any of the true violence and mayhem caused by gangs and criminals, as this segment of the population largely IGNORES laws. Hence the reason why we call them "criminals." Lol. :D

The vast majority of gun deaths are

Suicides (19,500)
Domestic Arguments (about 50% of the 11,000 homicides every year)
Accidents ( about 800 a year)

So if we drop the death rate from 32,000 a year to maybe 5000 a year, I'm kind of good with that. The police will have a lot more free time on their hands to deal with the "criminals" (usually just poor people making bad choices, but never mind) because they won't be writing up a shitloads of reports on suicides and domestic murders.

Again, I don't worry about the "Criminal". As long as we have the racism and economic inequality you are ooooh, sooo good with, we are going to have crime.

Since we can't deal with the underlying cause, we can at least deal with the symptom - too many guns in the wrong hands.

How many of those 33,000 deaths are due to suicide, dishonest POS?

Are people who commit suicide less dead? Are their families less devastated? I'm just wondering at what point you say to a grieving relative, "Well, no big deal, it was only a suicide". I'm not imagining that being said by anyone who isn't a horrible person.

Now, I guess you can make the argument that the suicidal might fight other ways to end their lives if there weren't guns available. Maybe. But most of those methods are easier to stop and you have a decent chance of saving the person.

The vast majority of gun deaths are

Suicides (19,500)
Domestic Arguments (about 50% of the 11,000 homicides every year)
Accidents ( about 800 a year)

So if we drop the death rate from 32,000 a year to maybe 5000 a year, I'm kind of good with that. The police will have a lot more free time on their hands to deal with the "criminals" (usually just poor people making bad choices, but never mind) because they won't be writing up a shitloads of reports on suicides and domestic murders.

Again, I don't worry about the "Criminal". As long as we have the racism and economic inequality you are ooooh, sooo good with, we are going to have crime.

Since we can't deal with the underlying cause, we can at least deal with the symptom - too many guns in the wrong hands.

Gang members and other violent criminals will continue to get weapons illegally. Your "gun control laws" target the wrong people.

I don't have to, as they already do so and have for decades.

Yet you still can't point to the constitutional authorization for them to do so.

Profiting off of death and misery...

So the police and ATF should not purchase any guns from gun manufacturers?

the only reason why the Police and ATF have to be armed like soldiers is that the gun industry has flooded the market with guns.
I'm sorry you are too stupid to realize this.

When the gun industry has to start paying the loved ones of the people they kill, they will change their behavior.

How many of those 33,000 deaths are due to suicide, dishonest POS?

Are people who commit suicide less dead? Are their families less devastated? I'm just wondering at what point you say to a grieving relative, "Well, no big deal, it was only a suicide". I'm not imagining that being said by anyone who isn't a horrible person.

Now, I guess you can make the argument that the suicidal might fight other ways to end their lives if there weren't guns available. Maybe. But most of those methods are easier to stop and you have a decent chance of saving the person.

Of course not. There are plenty of ways to commit suicide.

Some countries with the highest suicide rates in the world . . .

The Highest Suicide Rates Worldwide
Rank Country Suicides per 100,000 People
1 Guyana 44.2
2 South Korea 28.9
3 Sri Lanka 28.8
4 Lithuania 28.2

August 9, 2004-States United to Prevent Gun Violence gathers a list of over 1,900 police chiefs, sheriffs, and county prosecutors who support “renewing and strengthening” the federal Assault Weapons Ban. Some of the names on the list include Chief John Wilson of Montgomery, Alabama; Chief Randy Henderlite of the Glendale, Arizona Police Department; the Greenwood, Arkansas Police Department; Cam Sanchez, president of the California Police Chiefs Association; the Daytona Beach, Florida Police Department; the Cicero, Illinois Police Department; Baltimore City, Maryland Police Commissioner Kevin Clark; Colonel Tadarial Sturdivant of the Michigan State Police; the East Rutherford, New Jersey Police Department; the Nassau County, New York Police Department; the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Police Department; and San Antonio, Texas Police Department Chief Albert Ortiz.

June 2004-A study commissioned by the Department of Justice finds, “Attacks with semiautomatics-including assault weapons and other semiautomatics equipped with large capacity magazines-result in more shots fired, more persons hit, and more woundeds infliced per victim than do attacks with other firearms.” The study also reports, “Assault weapons account for a larger share of guns used in mass murders and murders of police, crimes for which weapons with greater firepower would seem particularly useful.”

April 27, 2004-Standing with other law enforcement leaders from across the country to demand renewal of the Assault Weapons Ban, Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton states, “There is a reason that these [assault] weapons are so appealing to criminals. They are designed to be easily concealed and kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Congress must act and act now to protect the American public and our police officers from these deadly weapons. This is about public safety and law enforcement.”

May 2003-The Violence Policy Center releases the “Officer Down” report, which finds that at least 41 of the 211 law enforcement officers slain in the line of duty between January 1, 1998, and December 31, 2001, were killed with assault weapons.

1994-In an analysis of assault weapons, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) writes, “Assault weapons were designed for rapid fire, close quarter shooting at human beings. That is why they were put together the way they were. You will not find these guys in a duck blind or at the Olympics. They are mass produced mayhem.” The ATF describes assault weapons as “large capacity, semiautomatic firearms designed and configured for rapid fire, combat use … Most are patterned after machine guns used by military forces.”

http://csgv.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/mass-produced-mayhem-231x300.jpg

mass-produced-mayhem-231x300.jpg

Forum List

Back