Save the planet - buy an electric car

...... Battery tech is still in infancy? Says who?

The first battery was made in 1800 (although some argue they made one in 250BC, read up on Baghdad Battery).

The first lithium was made in the 1970s.

I don't know how you call that infancy, when we've been pouring research into batteries for decades now.

Once again, showing you seem to know very little, and try and compensate it by speaking your ignorance boldly.

I'm all for new batteries. If something new comes up, great. But to try and base national economic policy on "something good could happen" is the thought process of a fool. Funny how a greek fable writer in 650 BC understood "don't count your chickens before they hatch", but left-wing idiots want to push national economic policy based on technology that doesn't exist yet.

Well while you were advocating sitting on our hands National economic policy was grants and tax credits for alternative energy tech like electric cars - which are now a well proven concept and a successful product that all of major manufacturers are trying to jump on. Something good already DID happen.

So why don't you just stfu already about someone being an ignorant regressive and get back to eating that shoe.

No one was 'sitting on their hands'.

umm yes, as I said, your prescription to sit on our hands when it came to national policy on electric cars was ignored.

You were really going to mandate at the time people buy these? It was after all the best technology out there.

View attachment 261893

...wtf?

Logic escape you? That was the technology in the 1970s for electric cars....

The very concept of "saving the planet" just shows how jaw-droppingly arrogant liberals are. Do they seriously believe that us humans are a danger to essentially an 8000 mile wide (25000 mile circumference) ball of iron which has existed for 4+ billion years? Earth has been through far more disastrous cataclysms that any pollution humans leave on the surface.

How about 5 almost total extinctions of life on earth in it's history. Mother Nature can be forgiving and She can be cruel.

5 Extinctions That Wiped Much of Life off Planet Earth

by Aliya Whiteley

The more we get to know about the history of the Earth, the more incredible it becomes. Our planet formed about 4.5 billion years ago, and for the first billion years it was without life. Then organic molecules began to form simple cells.

It’s tempting to think that from those first cells the business of evolution took hold and created the plants and animals we see today, but this simplified version overlooks some of the most catastrophic developments that happened along the way. Five mass extinction events have wiped out nearly every living thing on this planet. So the next time you’re feeling less than brave, remind yourself that you are descended from some seriously tough survivors. You’re already one of nature’s great success stories.

1. ORDOVICIAN-SILURIAN EXTINCTION—445 MILLION YEARS AGO
Most life forms were still living in the oceans at the time of the first mass extinction. There are many theories as to how that happened: global cooling that brought on an ice age, volcanic gases, or maybe changes in ocean chemistry. Whatever the cause, about 85 percent of species were wiped out.

2. LATE DEVONIAN EXTINCTION—375 MILLION YEARS AGO
The oceans recovered and teemed with life once more, and that diversity had begun to spread onto land at the time of the second mass extinction, when 79–87 percent of all species died due to environmental change. A series of several extinction events spread over approximately 40 million years wiped out most of the life on earth. The cause is unclear, but some scientists have theorized that the sudden increase in plant life could have triggered a period of anoxia (lack of oxygen). Other suggestions include volcanic eruptions on a huge scale, or another ice age.

Although plants may have triggered the destruction, it was the marine life that was hardest hit. Armored fish died out completely. Reef ecosystems vanished from the seas and were not seen again for the next 100 million years. But there were some who benefited: Into these gaps in the oceans’ ecosystems came some of nature’s hardiest survivors—the sharks.

3. PERMIAN-TRIASSIC EXTINCTION—250 MILLION YEARS AGO
This is also known as the Great Dying, and with good reason: 70 percent of land species and 90 percent of marine species disappeared, including half of all marine families. Plant life also suffered; only a few forests remained. It’s the only event in which insects also died out en masse. The devastation to life was so thorough, this mass extinction event is known as the Great Dying.

The culprit was, once again, environmental change. An enormous volcanic event in an already hot, dry climate led to a massive increase in carbon dioxide, and as ice sheets melted, methane escaped into the atmosphere, adding to the problem. These greenhouse gases led to the creation of anoxic conditions in marine habitats once more.

4. END-TRIASSIC EXTINCTION—200 MILLION YEARS AGO
After the Great Dying, it took approximately 20 million years for the Earth to recover. Unfortunately, soon after the Earth returned to its previous level of diversity, the next mass extinction came along and nearly wiped out the dinosaurs just as they were getting started. But it was the mammal groups who really suffered this time around, along with large amphibians: 76 to 84 percent of all species died out. The culprit may have once again been volcanic activity.

But dinosaurs managed to recover remarkably well, becoming the dominant creatures on the planet after this particular extinction event. And so they might well have remained, if it wasn’t for what happened next …

5. END-CRETACEOUS MASS EXTINCTION—66 MILLION YEARS AGO
This is the event we all know about. Many experts theorize that a large asteroid hit the Earth and contributed to rapid environmental changes. Sea levels plummeted, volcanic activity threw ash and poisonous gases into the air, and 71 to 81 percent of all species died. All non-avian dinosaurs perished, leaving the way clear for the small mammals that managed to survive.

BONUS: HOLOCENE EXTINCTION—10,000 BCE to ONGOING
And here we are today, having evolved from those small mammals. Are we in the grip of the sixth mass extinction of life on our planet? It's unclear how many species we're losing annually—one widely cited estimate is 140,000 species per year [PDF]—but it’s difficult to be sure of the size of the problem, as less than 3 percent of species on the planet are thought to have been formally assessed for risk.

The growth of humanity may be causing a loss of biodiversity, but the good news is that we have developed to the point where we might be able to do something about our own impact on the planet. We’re already aware of the problem—and there might even still be time to fix it.
giphy.gif

Al Gore certainly looks better than I expected with a pie in his face. He was the senile old fool who predicted that by 2016, both of Earth's arctic icecaps would be completely melted. Well, 2016 has come and gone and the icecaps still remain the same as always. These "climate change" idiots remind me of bible-thumping Rapture fanatics who keep predicting the end of the world by a certain date and are wrong every single time. There is no difference between them.

Last edited:
The very concept of "saving the planet" just shows how jaw-droppingly arrogant liberals are. Do they seriously believe that us humans are a danger to essentially an 8000 mile wide (25000 mile circumference) ball of iron which has existed for 4+ billion years? Earth has been through far more disastrous cataclysms that any pollution humans leave on the surface.

How about 5 almost total extinctions of life on earth in it's history. Mother Nature can be forgiving and She can be cruel.

by Aliya Whiteley

The more we get to know about the history of the Earth, the more incredible it becomes. Our planet formed about 4.5 billion years ago, and for the first billion years it was without life. Then organic molecules began to form simple cells.

It’s tempting to think that from those first cells the business of evolution took hold and created the plants and animals we see today, but this simplified version overlooks some of the most catastrophic developments that happened along the way. Five mass extinction events have wiped out nearly every living thing on this planet. So the next time you’re feeling less than brave, remind yourself that you are descended from some seriously tough survivors. You’re already one of nature’s great success stories.

Most life forms were still living in the oceans at the time of the first mass extinction. There are many theories as to how that happened: global cooling that brought on an ice age, volcanic gases, or maybe changes in ocean chemistry. Whatever the cause, about 85 percent of species were wiped out.

The oceans recovered and teemed with life once more, and that diversity had begun to spread onto land at the time of the second mass extinction, when 79–87 percent of all species died due to environmental change. A series of several extinction events spread over approximately 40 million years wiped out most of the life on earth. The cause is unclear, but some scientists have theorized that the sudden increase in plant life could have triggered a period of anoxia (lack of oxygen). Other suggestions include volcanic eruptions on a huge scale, or another ice age.

Although plants may have triggered the destruction, it was the marine life that was hardest hit. Armored fish died out completely. Reef ecosystems vanished from the seas and were not seen again for the next 100 million years. But there were some who benefited: Into these gaps in the oceans’ ecosystems came some of nature’s hardiest survivors—the sharks.

This is also known as the Great Dying, and with good reason: 70 percent of land species and 90 percent of marine species disappeared, including half of all marine families. Plant life also suffered; only a few forests remained. It’s the only event in which insects also died out en masse. The devastation to life was so thorough, this mass extinction event is known as the Great Dying.

The culprit was, once again, environmental change. An enormous volcanic event in an already hot, dry climate led to a massive increase in carbon dioxide, and as ice sheets melted, methane escaped into the atmosphere, adding to the problem. These greenhouse gases led to the creation of anoxic conditions in marine habitats once more.

After the Great Dying, it took approximately 20 million years for the Earth to recover. Unfortunately, soon after the Earth returned to its previous level of diversity, the next mass extinction came along and nearly wiped out the dinosaurs just as they were getting started. But it was the mammal groups who really suffered this time around, along with large amphibians: 76 to 84 percent of all species died out. The culprit may have once again been volcanic activity.

But dinosaurs managed to recover remarkably well, becoming the dominant creatures on the planet after this particular extinction event. And so they might well have remained, if it wasn’t for what happened next …

This is the event we all know about. Many experts theorize that a large asteroid hit the Earth and contributed to rapid environmental changes. Sea levels plummeted, volcanic activity threw ash and poisonous gases into the air, and 71 to 81 percent of all species died. All non-avian dinosaurs perished, leaving the way clear for the small mammals that managed to survive.

And here we are today, having evolved from those small mammals. Are we in the grip of the sixth mass extinction of life on our planet? It's unclear how many species we're losing annually—one widely cited estimate is 140,000 species per year [PDF]—but it’s difficult to be sure of the size of the problem, as less than 3 percent of species on the planet are thought to have been formally assessed for risk.

The growth of humanity may be causing a loss of biodiversity, but the good news is that we have developed to the point where we might be able to do something about our own impact on the planet. We’re already aware of the problem—and there might even still be time to fix it.
giphy.gif

Al Gore certainly looks better than I expected with a pie in his face. He was the senile old fool who predicated that by 2016, both of Earth's arctic icecaps would be completely melted. Well, 2016 has come and gone and the icecaps still remain the same as always. These "climate change" idiots remind me of bible-thumping Rapture fanatics who keep predicting the end of the world by a certain date and are wrong every single time. There is no difference between them.

Well, Trump did get elected in 2016. To liberals that's got to be almost like the icecaps melting.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.

No they aren't. You people are losing it.

I am far from rich. But with my EV on the fritz temporarily, (it was stolen and I am building another one) the cost of gas is tough on the pocket book. But this shall change soon. Then it's back to the 20 cents a day fuel costs at the most instead of that 11 mpg Beastie. Every time I drive it, small birds die.

The Rich don't need to be the only ones driving electric EVs. The small personal EVs do less damage to the roads, are easier to park and cost less to operate over a longer period of time. Okay, I don't have a thirteen speaker Bose Radio or AC that will freeze you out but I do have a heater. I don't need GPS, or any of the other crap that just breaks in a couple or three years. Is it safe? I am enclosed in a steel roll cage so it's at least as safe as any vehicle on the road and I don't worry about the engine being shoved into the drivers compartment. For short hauls, it does the job. And up to a certain speed, hardly anything on the road can accelerate with it. It only has a 50 mile range with the batteries it has onboard but if I need more than that I can add more batteries without suffering performance to extend it out to about 100 miles easily for less than 1000 bucks for the addition. Total cost for the 50 mile build is about 1500 bucks. It's a street legal Trike that seats 2 and has a very large cargo area behind the passenger compartment. And yes, it can do highway speeds of 65 mph which is plenty. More than that and the range goes way down. That means it's a fantastic commuter that operates for pennies a day to operate.

If I were to market and mass produce it, the retail for it would be right at about 3400 bucks for the 50 mile range and about 4000 for the 1000 mile range unit. The Chinese realize this and put out a similar product commercially but it's not allowed in the United States.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

Of course electric cars are only for the rich. They're expensive to buy and maintain. In addition, they can only be part of a two car or more household. They're impractical for any sort of a trip so if the family wants to go on a trip, they have to rent a car.

I have no clue if this is endemic to the industry. A close business associate owns a top of the line Tesla. They drove 150 miles to another airport where they left the car in long term parking. Ten days later they returned, late at night and...nothing. Apparently not having been charged over ten days drained the batteries. They couldn't get a jump, the car had to be charged so they were stuck, a flatbed had to haul the car off and they had to rent a car to get back home. It's a rich person's status symbol.

Well while you were advocating sitting on our hands National economic policy was grants and tax credits for alternative energy tech like electric cars - which are now a well proven concept and a successful product that all of major manufacturers are trying to jump on. Something good already DID happen.

So why don't you just stfu already about someone being an ignorant regressive and get back to eating that shoe.

No one was 'sitting on their hands'.

umm yes, as I said, your prescription to sit on our hands when it came to national policy on electric cars was ignored.

You were really going to mandate at the time people buy these? It was after all the best technology out there.

View attachment 261893

...wtf?

Logic escape you? That was the technology in the 1970s for electric cars....

I'm well versed in logic and there is nothing logical about distorting what I said and posting shit that had nothing to do with what was disccused (electric car subsidies)

Strawman.png

What the fuck THREAT is this planet under anyways? Here in my little rural corner of northern California the weather and climate (although rainier than usual this past week) have been pretty average and usual for as many decades as I can remember - some years we have droughts and some years we have mega-vicious-rainstorms, as if to make up for it. All the redwood and flowering plant scenery around my cabin are as normally lush as usual, as well as a perfectly normally flowing creek that separates my property from the neighbor's. I haven't seen any evidence that this planet is doing anything differently than it usually does!

BTW, the term "climate change" is much, much stupider than "global warming" because Earth's climate changes four times every year; it's called the seasons. Earth has always swiveled around at 23 degrees on its axis so different parts of the planet get an uneven amount of solar radiation - hence, the seasons.

What the fuck THREAT is this planet under anyways? Here in my little rural corner of northern California the weather and climate (although rainier than usual this past week) have been pretty average and usual for as many decades as I can remember - some years we have droughts and some years we have mega-vicious-rainstorms, as if to make up for it. All the redwood and flowering plant scenery around my cabin are as normally lush as usual, as well as a perfectly normally flowing creek that separates my property from the neighbor's. I haven't seen any evidence that this planet is doing anything differently than it usually does!

BTW, the term "climate change" is much, much stupider than "global warming" because Earth's climate changes four times every year; it's called the seasons. Earth has always swiveled around at 23 degrees on its axis so different parts of the planet get an uneven amount of solar radiation - hence, the seasons.

As the moon moves away, the Earth wobbles a bit more each year. And the North Pole has moved to somewhere in Siberia now. Your 23 degrees sounds good but it's a lie.

You may be blessed living in a area that is stable but most of the rest of us are having some really nasty weather these days including extreme droughts, flooding, fires and more. We go from one extreme to another. It didn't used to be that way. To give you an idea, the Industrial Revolution ended an Ice Age in Europe in the late 1700s and that Industrial Revolution kept right on going and was imported to the United States and then the world. That Ice Age should have lasted much longer but the industrial burning of Coal shortened it up. By the time the US got into the act, we took the weather as a given.

To give you an idea, even farming in the Midwest drives it's own weather today. When it does, it's generally a good thing. But when the screwball weather comes in from outside that area, things go haywire. It's doing it right now. Check the weather reports. The Midwest has gone from drought to flooding with nothing in between. Yes, Dorathy, Man affected this and Mother Nature is Pissed.

by Aliya Whiteley

giphy.gif

Al Gore certainly looks better than I expected with a pie in his face. He was the senile old fool who predicted that by 2016, both of Earth's arctic icecaps would be completely melted. Well, 2016 has come and gone and the icecaps still remain the same as always. These "climate change" idiots remind me of bible-thumping Rapture fanatics who keep predicting the end of the world by a certain date and are wrong every single time. There is no difference between them.

If we had kept going the direction we were going there was a good chance in our lifetime that his predictions would have come to play. But we have cleaned up much of our act and slowed it down. We haven't stopped it completely. Mother Nature is wounded though. And we have a ways to go. Each preventive step we have taken has been met with the same naysayers. But each time we have done what needs to be done. We do it a little a time. So go ahead and be a naysayer. It's natural. But we are still going to take it a few more steps to try and give Mother Nature a chance to heal her wounds that we have had a contribution in inflicting.

If we had kept going the direction we were going there was a good chance in our lifetime that his predictions would have come to play. But we have cleaned up much of our act and slowed it down. We haven't stopped it completely. Mother Nature is wounded though. And we have a ways to go. Each preventive step we have taken has been met with the same naysayers. But each time we have done what needs to be done. We do it a little a time. So go ahead and be a naysayer. It's natural. But we are still going to take it a few more steps to try and give Mother Nature a chance to heal her wounds that we have had a contribution in inflicting.

It's not time for us to do anything more until the rest of the world catches up. We're not the problem, as you know.
Wings-S.jpg

CO2-M.png

The Global Warming kooks here are raving about closing 10 coal plants in the US. Meanwhile, they ignore thousands being built around the world while the third world countries have billions using peat and dung to cook and heat.
Coal%20plants-S.png

by Aliya Whiteley

giphy.gif

Lol
It’s arrogant and foolish to believe man can change the climate...

It's not time for us to do anything more until the rest of the world catches up. We're not the problem, as you know.
Wings-S.jpg

CO2-M.png

The Global Warming kooks here are raving about closing 10 coal plants in the US. Meanwhile, they ignore thousands being built around the world while the third world countries have billions using peat and dung to cook and heat.
Coal%20plants-S.png
Lol
Progressives blame America first, that is why they are all fucked in the head

by Aliya Whiteley

giphy.gif

Lol

It's suicidal to discount it.

Wings-S.jpg

CO2-M.png

Coal%20plants-S.png
Lol

That statement must be true since you said it. Thanks for clearing that up, cupcake.

It is human nature to work on improving life. Moving away from poisonous pollution is natural.

by Aliya Whiteley

giphy.gif

Lol

It's suicidal to discount it.
Iron-Eyes-Cody-Sheds-Glycerin-Tear1.jpg

Wings-S.jpg

CO2-M.png

Coal%20plants-S.png
Lol

That statement must be true since you said it. Thanks for clearing that up, cupcake.
51958481_962779017258681_4270373510104219648_n.jpg

Lol I've got a Brooklyn bridge to sell you if you really belive that.

Model 3 has 134 MPG equivalent.
Civic (a much lower powered car) gets 30mpg.

So what you are saying is straight nonsence.

Wrong.
Electric cars do NOT have the equivalent claimed.

MPGe is a rating given by the EPA.

You say it's not accurate? Ok explain why you think that.

The EPA has been a corrupt corporate shill since they went with catalytic converters in 1974.
The MPGe rating says nothing about things like how far your charging station is from the power plant, and how much energy is lost by that transmission. The reality is that is likely about 20%. And there are many more factors like that the EPA ignores. Just like no car actually gets the EPA mileage figures. It should be obvious that when you add 1000 lbs of batteries to a car, it will require more energy, not less. And it also ignores the fact the major source of electricity in the US and the rest of the world is and will remain coal, which is the dirtiest. Those claiming electric power is going away from coal are lying because we have 10 times as much coal as we oil or gas, and fracking emits far more pollution than burning coal even.

I'm not sure if they are a corporate corporate shill... but I think they are doing the best that ignorant government bureaucrats can do, when they absolutely nothing about the auto industry, or how anything works.

When cars were required to have catalytic converters in 1974, almost all the mechanics in the shop came down with respiratory problems. We had to greatly increase the ventilation system to remove all the new toxins that catalytic converters were generating.

I saw the EPA targeting air cooled cars like VW and Porsche, and diesels. They were using NOx as their means to do this, because US makers did not make air cooled or small diesels. But yet clearly air cooled and diesels are far cleaner and safer. So the EPA was deliberately trying to cut foreign competition, while increasing emissions. We see that by all the low mpg SUVs US makers are selling now. If the EPA was even half honest, no one would be selling any SUVs because the EPA would not be allowing them. SUVs clearly use twice as much fuel. That has to be corruption. Way too obvious.

So, I spent 3 years in school, going through automotive tech.

It's true that NOx was what killed off most air cooled cars, and the tiny diesels. NOx is tied directly to smog and acid rain.

Diesels that run hotter (because they are smaller), are specifically problematic in producing NOx because of the air ratio to fuel.
Air cooled cars have the same problem because the cylinder walls are in fact too hot, which results in NOx emissions.

So the factual results that you pointed to, are dead on accurate. The question I have is whether this was an intentionally targeting of import cars, or just an over-zealous regulation to combat smog and acid rain.

Do you have any actual evidence to support the idea that it was a deliberate targeting? Or is it possible it was just over zealous regulation, that resulting in collateral damage?

Manufacturing electric car batteries produces some of the most toxic waste on the planet. Riiiiight lets manufacture more of those because its 'green'. :icon_rolleyes:

Forum List

Back