Save the planet - buy an electric car

I wouldn't drive one ... but I believe children should.

You should drive one, a Tesla, so you don't sound like an ignorant fool.

2019 Tesla Model S
#1 in Luxury Large Cars

2019 Tesla Model 3
#1 in Luxury Small Cars

2019 Jaguar I-Pace

#2 out of 16 in Luxury Compact SUVs
My son has the Model 3. Nice car. As all electric, it's fast and the torque is instantaneous. Cost way too much, but he has money to burn.

It's cheap if you drive alot because you don't pay for gas, oil changes and put almost no wear on brakes due to regenerative deceleration as soon as you lay-off the pedal (aka one-pedal driving)

I know a guy that previously spent $300/mo on gasoline with a $38k Audi A3 and now he spends $20-30 on a $40k Model 3 (comes loaded with everything), so for him Model 3 is a steal of a deal, with insta-speed and zero emmisions as a cherry on top.

Electric cars are the future, for sure.
No doubt.

I used to drive 520 miles a week to go to work. I purchased a Mazda 3 and with highway driving, was getting 38 mpg. I switched jobs and now I drive upward of 136 miles, tops. Before I would spend nearly 50 per week on gas, now I spend 20 per month.

Electric cars are just way too expensive for Me. I was looking into buying a good "used" pickup. They want nearly 25k for anything in decent shape. Screw that. I'll stick to My Mazda and rent a truck when I need to do some hauling or towing.

I wouldn't drive one ... but I believe children should.

You should drive one, a Tesla, so you don't sound like an ignorant fool.

2019 Tesla Model S
#1 in Luxury Large Cars

2019 Tesla Model 3
#1 in Luxury Small Cars

2019 Jaguar I-Pace

#2 out of 16 in Luxury Compact SUVs
My son has the Model 3. Nice car. As all electric, it's fast and the torque is instantaneous. Cost way too much, but he has money to burn.

It's cheap if you drive alot because you don't pay for gas, oil changes and put almost no wear on brakes due to regenerative deceleration as soon as you lay-off the pedal (aka one-pedal driving)

I know a guy that previously spent $300/mo on gasoline with a $38k Audi A3 and now he spends $20-30 on a $40k Model 3 (comes loaded with everything), so for him Model 3 is a steal of a deal, with insta-speed and zero emmisions as a cherry on top.

Electric cars are the future, for sure.

Sure, as long as you don't live in Illinois.

Still need towing power for my boat, work trailer, other assorted toys. None of which are electric. Large V-8 for me for the long term.

Okay, let's talk about towing power. You have a 200 hp motor in your gas rig. I install a 180 hp electric motor in mine. Now we get to tow something. You have about 400 ftlbs of torque or more. I have 300. The difference is, I develop that HP and Torque at one RPM and you develop yours in a bell curve starting at zero. At Interstate speeds, you have the advantage. At lower speeds where most towing is done, the Electric has the advantage. And you have more high speed towing range. But even that is changing fast. A new Battery (half dry cell battery and half super capacitor) goes into full production. The cost is a fraction of either the Rare Earths with liquid solution or even the conventional Sealed Lead Acids. And that battery can take almost instant charges and has a life expectancy of over 100,000 recharging times. That's a lot of years. Plus, it's a fraction of the size meaning, you can have a hell of a lot more onboard batteries and get some really tremendous range and power. 2025 us going to rewrite all the rules and we need to figure out how to deal with it.
200 Hp? Not towing a plastic canoe here.
Try 360hp and it sounds cooler than an electric buggy.
Hemi supercharged engines exceed 600hp.

Still need towing power for my boat, work trailer, other assorted toys. None of which are electric. Large V-8 for me for the long term.

Okay, let's talk about towing power. You have a 200 hp motor in your gas rig. I install a 180 hp electric motor in mine. Now we get to tow something. You have about 400 ftlbs of torque or more. I have 300. The difference is, I develop that HP and Torque at one RPM and you develop yours in a bell curve starting at zero. At Interstate speeds, you have the advantage. At lower speeds where most towing is done, the Electric has the advantage. And you have more high speed towing range. But even that is changing fast. A new Battery (half dry cell battery and half super capacitor) goes into full production. The cost is a fraction of either the Rare Earths with liquid solution or even the conventional Sealed Lead Acids. And that battery can take almost instant charges and has a life expectancy of over 100,000 recharging times. That's a lot of years. Plus, it's a fraction of the size meaning, you can have a hell of a lot more onboard batteries and get some really tremendous range and power. 2025 us going to rewrite all the rules and we need to figure out how to deal with it.

In the mean time, 40 miles down the road, you'll be pulled over to the side of the road because your batteries have run out of juice...we'll wait for you down at the lake.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

electric cars are not the answer, sorry dude.

In the mean time, 40 miles down the road, you'll be pulled over to the side of the road because your batteries have run out of juice...we'll wait for you down at the lake.
Probably has a kayak.
I bet he doesn't believe in gas powered boats.

Does the looney left ever consider how the electricity that powers these over priced turds is made?
It's like how they have their cute little recycle containers but are oblivious to the fact that most of it ends up in the landfill anyway

Around here, it's made with Natural Gas, Hydroelectric, Solar and Wind. There are, I believe, one coal fired plant left and it's on the chopping block. And WE have the coal but are smart enough not to burn it for electricity. Right now, 20% of all electric power come from Hydro, Solar and Wind. And it gets more and more each year. And are you aware that Hydro, Solar and Wind cost less than either the Coal or Natural Gas plants to operate. The electricity locally here is Hydroelectric. We haven't had a gas or coal fired plant for about 40 years. I can't help it that where you are from, people are dumber than a Box of Rock. Just one rock in that box. A Box of rocks would be smarter.
You keep lumping solar and wind in with hydro power when you know they have nothing to do with each other. Hydro is cheap, but wind and solar are several times more expensive. Furthermore, they require 100% backup from a reliable source of power, like coal.

The new house construction that uses solar has a zero electric daily cost of operation. In the daytime, it sells electric power to the Electric Company and at night it uses the grid and removes what it put in the grid during the daytime. Cost versus payback is estimated at 7 years. In 7 years, the cost savings pay for the added installation. After that, it's free.

And you believe that Hydroelectric is cheap? Wow, the cost of construction of a Dam Project can only be done at a national level. Before I went into the Service, I worked at Marrow Point and the cost of that project was way out of hand for anyone other than the United States Government. Over quite a number of years, it's paid for itself but it took it decades to do it. Solar and Wind are a far cry less expensive and pay for themselves in no more than 7 years.

How is that box of rock.

solar only works when the sun is out, not at night, not when its cloudy or raining or snowing. Nuclear is a much better option.

Does the looney left ever consider how the electricity that powers these over priced turds is made?
It's like how they have their cute little recycle containers but are oblivious to the fact that most of it ends up in the landfill anyway

Around here, it's made with Natural Gas, Hydroelectric, Solar and Wind. There are, I believe, one coal fired plant left and it's on the chopping block. And WE have the coal but are smart enough not to burn it for electricity. Right now, 20% of all electric power come from Hydro, Solar and Wind. And it gets more and more each year. And are you aware that Hydro, Solar and Wind cost less than either the Coal or Natural Gas plants to operate. The electricity locally here is Hydroelectric. We haven't had a gas or coal fired plant for about 40 years. I can't help it that where you are from, people are dumber than a Box of Rock. Just one rock in that box. A Box of rocks would be smarter.
You keep lumping solar and wind in with hydro power when you know they have nothing to do with each other. Hydro is cheap, but wind and solar are several times more expensive. Furthermore, they require 100% backup from a reliable source of power, like coal.

The new house construction that uses solar has a zero electric daily cost of operation. In the daytime, it sells electric power to the Electric Company and at night it uses the grid and removes what it put in the grid during the daytime. Cost versus payback is estimated at 7 years. In 7 years, the cost savings pay for the added installation. After that, it's free.

And you believe that Hydroelectric is cheap? Wow, the cost of construction of a Dam Project can only be done at a national level. Before I went into the Service, I worked at Marrow Point and the cost of that project was way out of hand for anyone other than the United States Government. Over quite a number of years, it's paid for itself but it took it decades to do it. Solar and Wind are a far cry less expensive and pay for themselves in no more than 7 years.

How is that box of rock.

solar only works when the sun is out, not at night, not when its cloudy or raining or snowing. Nuclear is a much better option.

... said Ahmed, the dead terrorist. Nuclear power plants are a security problem.

Probably has a kayak.
I bet he doesn't believe in gas powered boats.
Hey don't knock kayaks
I never got hassled for drunk kayaking like I have for drunk power boating

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'
Electric cars wouldn't save the planet. There's still the problem of "tire" pollution. No matter how diligent we could become in stopping our pollution and deforestation, it wouldn't change the problem the earth is facing because of mankind's negative impact on the planet. Third and Second World nations continue to contribute to the earth's eventual demise. For the earth to rebound, two-thirds of the planet would have to go back to being uninhabited and forest allowed to regrow and mankind would have to willingly restrict the numbers of births.
So, just relax and enjoy the time left on the planet, because religion holds a powerful sway over peoples beliefs and Catholics and Muslims aren't about to control their populations.

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

electric cars are not the answer, sorry dude.

First of all not all fossil sources are the same. Last time I checked no one uses gasoline to make electricity.

Secondly part of electricity already comes from non-fossil sources and if really needed to we could make 100% of our electricity from non-fossil sources.

Fuck electric cars, nice idea in theory but not on the battery technology we are still stuck with.

I'll stick with my fuel injected double overhead cam V-6 hemi.

Nice idea in practice too.

300 mile range some EVs can get today is plenty for just about anyone. Even 200 mile range is enough for most.

200 Hp? Not towing a plastic canoe here.
Try 360hp and it sounds cooler than an electric buggy.
Hemi supercharged engines exceed 600hp.

Putting the claimed mpg aside, you get about 19 mpg. Your Truck costs a ton to operate. Why this is even in this conversation is beyond reason.

How is that box of rock.

... said Ahmed, the dead terrorist. Nuclear power plants are a security problem.
Not really.

Since most electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, how does driving an electric car save the planet?

I used a city in China that has made or is seriously making the change to electric because people were dying from the polluted air. They use Coal to generate their electricity. Today, even with the electricity being generated by coal, the air is now breathable. Yes, it would be better if they used something other than coal but it's what they have. It would be better if they used Natural Gas but that's in short supply. They are also starting to build new buildings and homes with solar power built right in. That reduces the need to expand their coal system. China will do it before we do since it's a National Effort. But we are on the brink of having to do a national level as well.

Since most electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, how does driving an electric car save the planet?

I used a city in China that has made or is seriously making the change to electric because people were dying from the polluted air. They use Coal to generate their electricity. Today, even with the electricity being generated by coal, the air is now breathable. Yes, it would be better if they used something other than coal but it's what they have. It would be better if they used Natural Gas but that's in short supply. They are also starting to build new buildings and homes with solar power built right in. That reduces the need to expand their coal system. China will do it before we do since it's a National Effort. But we are on the brink of having to do a national level as well.
There isn't much coal being used anymore in the US; it is being replaced by natural gas and the US has a super abundant supply of natural gas available now that Obama is out of office. The argument today in favor of electric cars is not about pollution anymore but about CO2, and natural gas produces CO2 just as other fossil fuels do. So since the electricity used to power electric cars comes from burning fossil fuels, it made no sense to claim you are saving the planet by buying electric cars.

Forum List

Back