Save the planet - buy an electric car

When you remove that CO2 factories from the streets, the streets get cleaned up (the air) in short order. And last count around here (not counting private ones) Solar makes up 20% of the commercial power. When everything is considered, even Natural Gas has dropped. It's coming whether you like it or not.
Modern cars are clean. They don't need to be "cleaned up."

That's why they are rated in co2 emmisions. If they were "Clean" then they wouldn't have that rating.
CO2 isn't a pollutant, dumbass. Plants need it to live.

And too much of it blocks healthy sunlight as well. There is too much in the atmosphere right now and not enough plants to use it properly. Then there is the carbon rating of the cars. And the Hydrocarbons, etc.. It all adds up given time. And we have given it plenty of time. Either do something about it or get used to the violent weather, droughts, forest fires, etc..
CO2 doesn't block sunlight, moron, and there isn't too much of it. In fact, there isn't enough. It was getting so low that plants were on the verge of not being able to grow.

Life on Earth was nearly doomed by too little CO2

Yes, it was almost doomed. In the last Friggin Ice Age. There are so many BS statements in your cite, it's not worth mentioning. Too little CO2 is a bad thing but too much CO2 is even worse.

Look, i've been a spark for quite some time, i also have to exist with the 'green machine' ,in a blue state that's bent on saving the planet.

I know the math isn't easy, but i'm here to tell you 'lectric is not , not now in this country, an alternative

~S~

We all saw this coming, someone has to pay for the roads

At 1700 bucks a pop, I really don't see it as an incentive. I see it as a bunch of Oil Mongrels paying politicians to try and kill off a competitor. I can see it being raised to 120 bucks. I pay that on my 15000 lb RV and my F-250 costs me almost a hundred a year. Colorado goes by vehicle weight with a minimum. The registration is only a small part of road and bridge maintenance. Consider this, we subsidize heavy trucks. If you go by the amount of damage each vehicle does, a heavy loaded out to 70,000 lbs would cost in the thousands of dollars to pay it's fair share. Believe it or not, the cars subsidize the heavies. If you didn't, that loaf of bread would be in excess of 200 bucks.

Auto registration is just ONE of the methods used to fund roads and bridges. It's just another method of taxes.

No disagreement from me, but with out those goods..... We are going to pay one way or another..

On a side note, thinking of moving from Wyoming to Colorado (have a job offer to run a small ski lodge ) how is the taxes/political climate down there?

It depends on where you move. I lived in the Denver burbs for several years, but that was ten years ago. The state has become more liberal/progressive along the Front Range especially, and in other enclaves throughout the state. Your ski resort MAY be located in an area that is more conservative.

In South fork

Wow, that is some of the most majestic areas in the Universe. It's also one of the most brutal. Cost of living his high, cost of housing is out of sight, services are low. It also has more in common with New Mexico than Colorado. Due to towns like Durango being around and the population density being so low, it normally votes Republican. But these "Republicans" know better than to rock the Leftee boat. That would cost millions of dollars in business. Get ready for a wild ride. One adventure you will never forget or wish to pass up.

I never been to that part of Colorado, I was just looking on Google maps..looks kind of cool. Housing would be included for me and my new girlfriend. S.O.B. not calling me back. Lol

That's why they are rated in co2 emmisions. If they were "Clean" then they wouldn't have that rating.

And too much of it blocks healthy sunlight as well. There is too much in the atmosphere right now and not enough plants to use it properly. Then there is the carbon rating of the cars. And the Hydrocarbons, etc.. It all adds up given time. And we have given it plenty of time. Either do something about it or get used to the violent weather, droughts, forest fires, etc..
CO2 doesn't block sunlight, moron, and there isn't too much of it. In fact, there isn't enough. It was getting so low that plants were on the verge of not being able to grow.

Life on Earth was nearly doomed by too little CO2

Yes, it was almost doomed. In the last Friggin Ice Age. There are so many BS statements in your cite, it's not worth mentioning. Too little CO2 is a bad thing but too much CO2 is even worse.
"Too much" would be something like 10000 PPM or more

Since most electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, how does driving an electric car save the planet?

I used a city in China that has made or is seriously making the change to electric because people were dying from the polluted air. They use Coal to generate their electricity. Today, even with the electricity being generated by coal, the air is now breathable. Yes, it would be better if they used something other than coal but it's what they have. It would be better if they used Natural Gas but that's in short supply. They are also starting to build new buildings and homes with solar power built right in. That reduces the need to expand their coal system. China will do it before we do since it's a National Effort. But we are on the brink of having to do a national level as well.
There isn't much coal being used anymore in the US; it is being replaced by natural gas and the US has a super abundant supply of natural gas available now that Obama is out of office. The argument today in favor of electric cars is not about pollution anymore but about CO2, and natural gas produces CO2 just as other fossil fuels do. So since the electricity used to power electric cars comes from burning fossil fuels, it made no sense to claim you are saving the planet by buying electric cars.

When you remove that CO2 factories from the streets, the streets get cleaned up (the air) in short order. And last count around here (not counting private ones) Solar makes up 20% of the commercial power. When everything is considered, even Natural Gas has dropped. It's coming whether you like it or not.

I dunno, mine is pretty clean. Just finished cleaning it with a cloth.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

electric cars are not the answer, sorry dude.

First of all not all fossil sources are the same. Last time I checked no one uses gasoline to make electricity.

Secondly part of electricity already comes from non-fossil sources and if really needed to we could make 100% of our electricity from non-fossil sources.

A lot of electric cars are hybrid, which means they are using some of the gas to generate electricity recharging the batteries, and fossil fuels or not, most methods of generating electricity still have a carbon footprint. The REAL solution to electric cars is the hydrogen fuel cell.

lol what? electric cars are electric (EV), hybrid cars are hybrid.

Number of succesful hydrogen cars is still zero and EV's are all the rage now with auto industry getting rocked by come-build-EVs-with-us Tesla. The ONLY possible reversal of that would be if batteries production runs into some sort of material shortages.

Hydrogen Cars Struggle To Compete With Electric Vehicles | OilPrice.com

Last edited:
Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

First of all not all fossil sources are the same. Last time I checked no one uses gasoline to make electricity.

Secondly part of electricity already comes from non-fossil sources and if really needed to we could make 100% of our electricity from non-fossil sources.

A lot of electric cars are hybrid, which means they are using some of the gas to generate electricity recharging the batteries, and fossil fuels or not, most methods of generating electricity still have a carbon footprint. The REAL solution to electric cars is the hydrogen fuel cell.

Number of succesful hydrogen cars is still zero and EV's are all the rage now with auto industry getting rocked by come-build-EVs-with-us Tesla. The ONLY possible reversal of that would be if batteries production runs into some sort of material shortages.

Right Ya. Teslas that BLOW UP. Blow it out your ass. I won't be driving any battery operated cars and I've forgotten more about them than you will ever know.

Right Ya. Teslas that BLOW UP. Blow it out your ass. I won't be driving any battery operated cars and I've forgotten more about them than you will ever know.

Oh, Mercy. You are the brightest, mostest educated person on the planet. Glad you cleared that up.

Oh, Mercy. You are the brightest, mostest educated person on the planet. Glad you cleared that up.

I'm sorry if I missed it DH, did you say you are an electrical engineer?

New blow for Tesla: Fire in the 'world's safest electric car' began in vehicle's battery | Daily Mail Online

Tesla Model S Battery Explodes, Totals Car in Minutes

Tesla launches investigation after parked car BLOWS UP in flames in viral VIDEO

What causes Teslas to explode?

Just as a side issue, FWIW, one of the chemicals that go into making a rechargeable lithium ion battery is a nerve gas agent.

Small and stupid comment.

You think a handful of tesla fires is scary? I can't wait to hear what you think about riding around on 5000psi hydrogen tanks.

Last edited:
Around here, it's made with Natural Gas, Hydroelectric, Solar and Wind. There are, I believe, one coal fired plant left and it's on the chopping block. And WE have the coal but are smart enough not to burn it for electricity. Right now, 20% of all electric power come from Hydro, Solar and Wind. And it gets more and more each year. And are you aware that Hydro, Solar and Wind cost less than either the Coal or Natural Gas plants to operate. The electricity locally here is Hydroelectric. We haven't had a gas or coal fired plant for about 40 years. I can't help it that where you are from, people are dumber than a Box of Rock. Just one rock in that box. A Box of rocks would be smarter.
You keep lumping solar and wind in with hydro power when you know they have nothing to do with each other. Hydro is cheap, but wind and solar are several times more expensive. Furthermore, they require 100% backup from a reliable source of power, like coal.

The new house construction that uses solar has a zero electric daily cost of operation. In the daytime, it sells electric power to the Electric Company and at night it uses the grid and removes what it put in the grid during the daytime. Cost versus payback is estimated at 7 years. In 7 years, the cost savings pay for the added installation. After that, it's free.

And you believe that Hydroelectric is cheap? Wow, the cost of construction of a Dam Project can only be done at a national level. Before I went into the Service, I worked at Marrow Point and the cost of that project was way out of hand for anyone other than the United States Government. Over quite a number of years, it's paid for itself but it took it decades to do it. Solar and Wind are a far cry less expensive and pay for themselves in no more than 7 years.

How is that box of rock.

solar only works when the sun is out, not at night, not when its cloudy or raining or snowing. Nuclear is a much better option.

... said Ahmed, the dead terrorist. Nuclear power plants are a security problem.
Not really.

Very real. In Chernobyl for example they simulated conditions, which could lead to a crash of the power plant, and they were right with their hypothesis: it crashed. In Fukushima an earthquake was a surprisingly a little stronger than the constructors thought. They were wrong with their hypothesis: it crashed. And I'm totally common with Doris Day: Death is just simple a very big bullshit. Life is the only important thing.

Last edited:

The only way to make an electric car viable is to make the gas burners more expensive ? Yeah that will help the middle class.

Considering that the actual cost of the car will remain the same, they just need to make the batteries cheaper and better. This is being done now and will get better as time goes by.

Sure, let's just change the laws of physics!

Does the looney left ever consider how the electricity that powers these over priced turds is made?
It's like how they have their cute little recycle containers but are oblivious to the fact that most of it ends up in the landfill anyway

Around here, it's made with Natural Gas, Hydroelectric, Solar and Wind. There are, I believe, one coal fired plant left and it's on the chopping block. And WE have the coal but are smart enough not to burn it for electricity. Right now, 20% of all electric power come from Hydro, Solar and Wind. And it gets more and more each year. And are you aware that Hydro, Solar and Wind cost less than either the Coal or Natural Gas plants to operate. The electricity locally here is Hydroelectric. We haven't had a gas or coal fired plant for about 40 years. I can't help it that where you are from, people are dumber than a Box of Rock. Just one rock in that box. A Box of rocks would be smarter.
You keep lumping solar and wind in with hydro power when you know they have nothing to do with each other. Hydro is cheap, but wind and solar are several times more expensive. Furthermore, they require 100% backup from a reliable source of power, like coal.

The new house construction that uses solar has a zero electric daily cost of operation. In the daytime, it sells electric power to the Electric Company and at night it uses the grid and removes what it put in the grid during the daytime. Cost versus payback is estimated at 7 years. In 7 years, the cost savings pay for the added installation. After that, it's free.

And you believe that Hydroelectric is cheap? Wow, the cost of construction of a Dam Project can only be done at a national level. Before I went into the Service, I worked at Marrow Point and the cost of that project was way out of hand for anyone other than the United States Government. Over quite a number of years, it's paid for itself but it took it decades to do it. Solar and Wind are a far cry less expensive and pay for themselves in no more than 7 years.

How is that box of rock.

solar only works when the sun is out, not at night, not when its cloudy or raining or snowing. Nuclear is a much better option.

... said Ahmed, the dead terrorist. Nuclear power plants are a security problem.

Yes, they are constantly being targeted by terrorists - NOT!

I own a Volt, good car nice and easy to charge, only goes forty miles on a charge, but I use it locally. The state is now charging me $200, I believe to register the car. My other car, a Suburban cost $70 to license. After the feds and state extolled the virtues of helping to save the environment. Looks like money is more important to the state.

I used to get behind one of the few Volts I ever saw on the road every morning! That asshole would get on a two-lane road with a 55 mph speed limit and could not get that thing above 45 mph going downhill with a strong tailwind! I used my big SUV to blow his doors off every morning. He got so used to it he would pull off the road to let me pass and I never exceeded the speed limit!

There isn't much coal being used anymore in the US; it is being replaced by natural gas and the US has a super abundant supply of natural gas available now that Obama is out of office. The argument today in favor of electric cars is not about pollution anymore but about CO2, and natural gas produces CO2 just as other fossil fuels do. So since the electricity used to power electric cars comes from burning fossil fuels, it made no sense to claim you are saving the planet by buying electric cars.

Take an agriculture or botany class and you will learn that what you just posted is a bald-faced lie! Can you even make one post without lying?

The biggest single cost for the Tesla is the Batteries. Tesla just Merged (bought) Maxwell Batteries. Maxwell has a new battery that works now. It goes into production in 2025. It's part dry cell battery and part Super Capacitor. It can be fully charged from almost zero to full change in a matter of minutes, isn't suseptible to temperature, doesn't need to be cooled, and puts out many times per density of the current batteries. Just think of what we could have if we didn't almost completely stop development of the Battery for that 100 year stretch.

Recyclable?

By the way: A Tesla is for the environment not better than any Diesel engine from Mercedes. And - I don't know where I read it here in the moment - the plans of the Chinese to electrify the traffic in their cities is very very important for China: they need clean air in their urban areas. But this helps not automatically in the fight for the stability of our climate worldwide (which was extraordinary stable in the last billion years). The problem is still the production of energy. The electric energy has still to be produced and to be brought into the urban areas. So how the electric energy is produced and how to store this energy are very important themes.

And another problem exists too; the paradigma our economies have always only to grow needs a correction: Trees don't grow to the moon. I heard when we continue to use every year more energy than last year then the earth will glow in the year 2600 AD. I guess we all have to start to think in longer dimensions too, if we like to give the future generations including all and every life on our planet best chances.

Last edited:

How is that box of rock.

Yes, they are constantly being targeted by terrorists - NOT!

I don't understand what you like to say with this sentence.

I own a Volt, good car nice and easy to charge, only goes forty miles on a charge, but I use it locally. The state is now charging me $200, I believe to register the car. My other car, a Suburban cost $70 to license. After the feds and state extolled the virtues of helping to save the environment. Looks like money is more important to the state.

I used to get behind one of the few Volts I ever saw on the road every morning! That asshole would get on a two-lane road with a 55 mph speed limit and could not get that thing above 45 mph going downhill with a strong tailwind! I used my big SUV to blow his doors off every morning. He got so used to it he would pull off the road to let me pass and I never exceeded the speed limit!

You were in hurry? Why? Because always everyone is in hurry? Why?

Last edited:
OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT! OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT! OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT! OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT! OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT! OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT! OUR PLANET! NOT YOUR PROFIT!

Forum List

Back