Save the planet - buy an electric car

I own a Volt, good car nice and easy to charge, only goes forty miles on a charge, but I use it locally. The state is now charging me $200, I believe to register the car. My other car, a Suburban cost $70 to license. After the feds and state extolled the virtues of helping to save the environment. Looks like money is more important to the state.

I used to get behind one of the few Volts I ever saw on the road every morning! That asshole would get on a two-lane road with a 55 mph speed limit and could not get that thing above 45 mph going downhill with a strong tailwind! I used my big SUV to blow his doors off every morning. He got so used to it he would pull off the road to let me pass and I never exceeded the speed limit!

My Volt has never had any difficulty staying the speed limit. I have had that thing at 80 mph on the freeway. Going up hill in electric mode there is no lag at all. It wasn’t the car, it was the driver. I fill it up once a month, it takes 8 gallons. One of the better cars I have owned.

How long have you owned your Volt? How many miles do you have on it? How far does that 8 gallons per month take you?

Based on the good number of auto industry jobs the auto and related companies have to threaten the State of Illinois with, I doubt if this $1000 annual tax comes to be.

A problem of your culture is it, that you seem to think who is able to threaten someone is right. But the stronger are in most cases only the stronger idiots - what you can see very good in the white house. Or take the former owners of Monsanto as an example. They were in combination with the governmental and other public structures of the United States unbelievable criminal. Practically not any document of this company for their prodcuts was made under objective circumstances. Everything was made by pressure, criminal activities, corruption and so on and so on. So no one knows really something about the real dangers of the products of Monsanto. And the idea to let now Germans pay for this all is indeed "smart" in sense of this what your culture thinks what "intelligent" is. But nothing will change - completely independent how much money Bayer is able to pay before it is dead. Uncle Sam will stay to be as corrupt as he is and will the same time be the greatest moralist of the world, who has the right to attack everyone with wars.

I disagree with your premise that presumes those with the power are "in most cases" wrong. I believe in looking at these things on a case-by-case basis and believe it would be very beneficial to society in this case if the auto powers educate the Illinois legislature about any attempt to basically kill the sales of electric vehicles within their state.

Good point. In this state (and many states), Tesla is barred from teaming up with other Dealers like your local GM or Ford Dealer. They have to set up their own Dealerships where only Teslas are provided. That means, it's illegal to have something like a Mazda/Tesla dealership. This, too, shall pass. The American Consumer just isn't that stupid (close but not quite) to tolerate the oil companies cramming such a stupid law down our throats just to prevent competition. And here I thought that went against the Sherman Antitrust act.

I own a Volt, good car nice and easy to charge, only goes forty miles on a charge, but I use it locally. The state is now charging me $200, I believe to register the car. My other car, a Suburban cost $70 to license. After the feds and state extolled the virtues of helping to save the environment. Looks like money is more important to the state.

I used to get behind one of the few Volts I ever saw on the road every morning! That asshole would get on a two-lane road with a 55 mph speed limit and could not get that thing above 45 mph going downhill with a strong tailwind! I used my big SUV to blow his doors off every morning. He got so used to it he would pull off the road to let me pass and I never exceeded the speed limit!

You were in hurry? Why? Because always everyone is in hurry? Why?

I drove 45 miles to work. Why should I sit behind someone and burn more fuel at an inefficient speed because he drives an electric car with no power?

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.
The only way to make an electric car viable is to make the gas burners more expensive ? Yeah that will help the middle class.

Considering that the actual cost of the car will remain the same, they just need to make the batteries cheaper and better. This is being done now and will get better as time goes by.

Sure, let's just change the laws of physics!

Or use the laws of physics to do it better. Maxwell Industry has an operating solid state flat battery that can recharge at a very, very high rate, isn't affected by normal heat (exclude the surface of the Sun or the inside of an active volcano) can do a very high discharge rate, has no liquid in it, lasts more than 100,000 recharging cycles, and costs a fraction of what the modern LIPO4 battery does. It's 5 times lighter if you used the density to output figures. Some have said it was impossible and against the laws of Physic. It's well within the laws of physics, mr doomsayer. It's reality and goes into full production no later than 2025 by Maxwell and Tesla. It usually takes at least 5 years to go from the proto stage to the full production so 2025 isn't out of the question. You must have missed that volume of the Laws of Physics.

So in other words it doesn't fucking work yet!

Physics keeps getting in the way!

Based on the good number of auto industry jobs the auto and related companies have to threaten the State of Illinois with, I doubt if this $1000 annual tax comes to be.

A problem of your culture is it, that you seem to think who is able to threaten someone is right. But the stronger are in most cases only the stronger idiots - what you can see very good in the white house. Or take the former owners of Monsanto as an example. They were in combination with the governmental and other public structures of the United States unbelievable criminal. Practically not any document of this company for their prodcuts was made under objective circumstances. Everything was made by pressure, criminal activities, corruption and so on and so on. So no one knows really something about the real dangers of the products of Monsanto. And the idea to let now Germans pay for this all is indeed "smart" in sense of this what your culture thinks what "intelligent" is. But nothing will change - completely independent how much money Bayer is able to pay before it is dead. Uncle Sam will stay to be as corrupt as he is and will the same time be the greatest moralist of the world, who has the right to attack everyone with wars.

I disagree with your premise that presumes those with the power are "in most cases" wrong.

? I think Monsanto is criminal and I think the USA is criminal too.

I believe in looking at these things on a case-by-case basis and believe it would be very beneficial to society in this case if the auto powers educate the Illinois legislature about any attempt to basically kill the sales of electric vehicles within their state.

What has "to educate" to do with car manufacturers and governments? A car manufacturer has to serve customers and a government has to serve citizens. And if someone knows not what's the best for customers and citizens then this people should start to learn and not start to educate. What about a referendum? If something is not clear then let the citizens decide.

Last edited:

He was in the excellent movie "Das Boot", you know. Well it was a German TV mini series turned into a movie, anyway.

The film "Das Boot" is an interesting study about the life on U-96 during world war 2. Herbert Grönemeyer played the author of the book which was the basics of the film. He's one of the most important German singers and songwriters.

He was in the excellent movie "Das Boot", you know. Well it was a German TV mini series turned into a movie, anyway.

The film "Das Boot" is an interesting study about the life on U-96 during world war 2. Herbert Grönemeyer played the author of the book which was the basics of the film. He's one of the most important German singers and songwriters.

I've read the book, and have the six hour, uncut series on DVD. I remember back in the mid 80's a German work colleague told me Gronemeyer was a big rock star in Germany. I had NO idea. Nice to see he's still around. I thought he did a great acting job in Das Boot, as did the rest of the cast. Hollywood could never make a movie of that quality.

I drove 45 miles to work. Why should I sit behind someone and burn more fuel at an inefficient speed because he drives an electric car with no power?

Because he was in front of you and so you lost 10-15 minutes - or you wan 10-15 minutes. Depends how to see it. A perfect situation to learn something about patience for example. And in general has this not a lot to do with the problem why electric cars will conquer more and more the future instead of combustion engines.

Last edited:

I've read the book, and have the six hour, uncut series on DVD. I remember back in the mid 80's a German work colleague told me Gronemeyer was a big rock star in Germany. I had NO idea. Nice to see he's still around. I thought he did a great acting job in Das Boot, as did the rest of the cast. Hollywood could never make a movie of that quality.

The film is very realistic - althougth it exist some few exaggerations too. It was a theme Germans tried to understand too. Who were this crazy fighters in the submarines of world war 2?

And Herbert Grönemeyer is still very popular. When his first wife died this was one of the sadest moments for Germany. Lots feared he will not survive her death. He survived - and he is now married again. Happily, I guess. Still a very great artist. Because of her death he made a song which I called sometimes "the real national anthem of Germany".

Last edited:

My Volt has never had any difficulty staying the speed limit. I have had that thing at 80 mph on the freeway. Going up hill in electric mode there is no lag at all. It wasn’t the car, it was the driver. I fill it up once a month, it takes 8 gallons. One of the better cars I have owned.

How long have you owned your Volt? How many miles do you have on it? How far does that 8 gallons per month take you?

I have had the Volt since 2014, 60,000 miles, lifetime I'm getting 90 mpg, an 8 gallon take and a full charge about 350 miles. If I use it for back and forth from work, I fill it once every couple of months, I will run the gas at times to put fresh gas in it.

The Volt has the power to run at 90 to 100 if you want to. I drove it at normal speeds and it had a lot of power.

Because he was in front of you and so you lost 10-15 minutes - or you wan 10-15 minutes. Depends how to see it. A perfect situation to learn something about patience for example. And in general has this not a lot to do with the problem why electric cars will conquer more and more the future instead of combustion engines.

There is no power issue with a Volt, that thing will go 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. That thing will get on a freeway and do whatever speed limit you got and still have spare energy. The issue he had was the driver, not the car.

There is no power issue with a Volt, that thing will go 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. That thing will get on a freeway and do whatever speed limit you got and still have spare energy. The issue he had was the driver, not the car.

Yep, the driver wanted to go further than 38 miles.

I believe in looking at these things on a case-by-case basis and believe it would be very beneficial to society in this case if the auto powers educate the Illinois legislature about any attempt to basically kill the sales of electric vehicles within their state.

What has "to educate" to do with car manufacturers and governments? A car manufacturer has to serve customers and a government has to serve citizens. And if someone knows not what's the best for customers and citizens then this people should start to learn and not start to educate. What about a referendum? If something is not clear then let the citizens decide.

Educating is what lobbyist do in effort to sell their side of an argument. I recall going down the steps to the company's cafeteria and overhearing a bit of conversation of two of our board members concerning the naming of a new member to the state's corporation commission.
Board member #1: "We need to educate that new corporation commissioner."
Board member #2: "Or buy him off."
The proposal calls for taxing an electric car owner $1000 annually for registration while in comparison the cost to a gasoline car owner is only $148 for registration plus around 1½¢ per mile in terms of the gasoline tax. Not to expect car manufacturers to respond to such extortion is not living in the real world.

Yep, the driver wanted to go further than 38 miles.

I fill my tank if I need to go further than 40 miles.

I have had the Volt since 2014, 60,000 miles, lifetime I'm getting 90 mpg, an 8 gallon take and a full charge about 350 miles. If I use it for back and forth from work, I fill it once every couple of months, I will run the gas at times to put fresh gas in it.

That's very impressive. Thanks for the info. What's your average daily commute (driving distance round trip).

Last edited:
dude, the state of illinois taxes everything you own. I live here.

That's very impressive. Thanks for the info. What's your average daily commute (driving distance round trip).

About 10 miles each way and 25 minute each way commute. It is great in the winter, it's cold and snowing and I hate fueling in that kind of weather.

About 10 miles each way and 25 minute each way commute. It is great in the winter, it's cold and snowing and I hate fueling in that kind of weather.

That's a great choice then for short commutes like yours. So you can run most of the time on electric alone. Is there any way to tell how much you are spending on electricity just for the car, maybe through a comparison of electric usage before and after the cars purchase?

Sorry for all the questions, but it may be a good alternative for me at some point.

That's a great choice then for short commutes like yours. So you can run most of the time on electric alone. Is there any way to tell how much you are spending on electricity just for the car, maybe through a comparison of electric usage before and after the cars purchase?

Sorry for all the questions, but it may be a good alternative for me at some point.

I use a regular 120v plug to charge the car, it costs me $30-$35 a month to charge it.

Forum List

Back