Save the planet - buy an electric car

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'
Republicans don't give a shit. Really! //www.msnbc.com/velshi-ruhle/watch/bill-nye-climate-change-is-now-59609157720
Sure we do. We detest being lied to by the so-called -consensus- losers.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

electric cars are not the answer, sorry dude.

First of all not all fossil sources are the same. Last time I checked no one uses gasoline to make electricity.

Secondly part of electricity already comes from non-fossil sources and if really needed to we could make 100% of our electricity from non-fossil sources.

A lot of electric cars are hybrid, which means they are using some of the gas to generate electricity recharging the batteries, and fossil fuels or not, most methods of generating electricity still have a carbon footprint. The REAL solution to electric cars is the hydrogen fuel cell.

Since most electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, how does driving an electric car save the planet?

I used a city in China that has made or is seriously making the change to electric because people were dying from the polluted air. They use Coal to generate their electricity. Today, even with the electricity being generated by coal, the air is now breathable. Yes, it would be better if they used something other than coal but it's what they have. It would be better if they used Natural Gas but that's in short supply. They are also starting to build new buildings and homes with solar power built right in. That reduces the need to expand their coal system. China will do it before we do since it's a National Effort. But we are on the brink of having to do a national level as well.
There isn't much coal being used anymore in the US; it is being replaced by natural gas and the US has a super abundant supply of natural gas available now that Obama is out of office. The argument today in favor of electric cars is not about pollution anymore but about CO2, and natural gas produces CO2 just as other fossil fuels do. So since the electricity used to power electric cars comes from burning fossil fuels, it made no sense to claim you are saving the planet by buying electric cars.
There isn't much coal being used because of Obama, not from him being out of office.

I own a Volt, good car nice and easy to charge, only goes forty miles on a charge, but I use it locally. The state is now charging me $200, I believe to register the car. My other car, a Suburban cost $70 to license. After the feds and state extolled the virtues of helping to save the environment. Looks like money is more important to the state.

Since most electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, how does driving an electric car save the planet?

I used a city in China that has made or is seriously making the change to electric because people were dying from the polluted air. They use Coal to generate their electricity. Today, even with the electricity being generated by coal, the air is now breathable. Yes, it would be better if they used something other than coal but it's what they have. It would be better if they used Natural Gas but that's in short supply. They are also starting to build new buildings and homes with solar power built right in. That reduces the need to expand their coal system. China will do it before we do since it's a National Effort. But we are on the brink of having to do a national level as well.
There isn't much coal being used anymore in the US; it is being replaced by natural gas and the US has a super abundant supply of natural gas available now that Obama is out of office. The argument today in favor of electric cars is not about pollution anymore but about CO2, and natural gas produces CO2 just as other fossil fuels do. So since the electricity used to power electric cars comes from burning fossil fuels, it made no sense to claim you are saving the planet by buying electric cars.

When you remove that CO2 factories from the streets, the streets get cleaned up (the air) in short order. And last count around here (not counting private ones) Solar makes up 20% of the commercial power. When everything is considered, even Natural Gas has dropped. It's coming whether you like it or not.

I own a Volt, good car nice and easy to charge, only goes forty miles on a charge, but I use it locally. The state is now charging me $200, I believe to register the car. My other car, a Suburban cost $70 to license. After the feds and state extolled the virtues of helping to save the environment. Looks like money is more important to the state.

Do something about it. It's wrong for them to charge that much. Get behind a Politico that wants to change that at the state level.

There isn't much coal being used because of Obama, not from him being out of office.

Coal has been going out of style since the early 70s around here. I guess we got tired of the Black Snow.

Still need towing power for my boat, work trailer, other assorted toys. None of which are electric. Large V-8 for me for the long term.

Okay, let's talk about towing power. You have a 200 hp motor in your gas rig. I install a 180 hp electric motor in mine. Now we get to tow something. You have about 400 ftlbs of torque or more. I have 300. The difference is, I develop that HP and Torque at one RPM and you develop yours in a bell curve starting at zero. At Interstate speeds, you have the advantage. At lower speeds where most towing is done, the Electric has the advantage. And you have more high speed towing range. But even that is changing fast. A new Battery (half dry cell battery and half super capacitor) goes into full production. The cost is a fraction of either the Rare Earths with liquid solution or even the conventional Sealed Lead Acids. And that battery can take almost instant charges and has a life expectancy of over 100,000 recharging times. That's a lot of years. Plus, it's a fraction of the size meaning, you can have a hell of a lot more onboard batteries and get some really tremendous range and power. 2025 us going to rewrite all the rules and we need to figure out how to deal with it.
200 Hp? Not towing a plastic canoe here.
Try 360hp and it sounds cooler than an electric buggy.
Hemi supercharged engines exceed 600hp.

Putting the claimed mpg aside, you get about 19 mpg. Your Truck costs a ton to operate. Why this is even in this conversation is beyond reason.
The cost isn't a concern.
Power is.

When you remove that CO2 factories from the streets, the streets get cleaned up (the air) in short order. And last count around here (not counting private ones) Solar makes up 20% of the commercial power. When everything is considered, even Natural Gas has dropped. It's coming whether you like it or not.
Modern cars are clean. They don't need to be "cleaned up."

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

If you gave everybody an electric car, the power grid simply could not handle it.

Not to mention that making and running the electric cars is harder on the environment than cars running on fossil fuel. Of course leftists aren't going to let facts get in the way of their righteous attitudes.

That's why they are rated in co2 emmisions. If they were "Clean" then they wouldn't have that rating.

If you gave everybody an electric car, the power grid simply could not handle it.

Ours could. But then again, we aren't the brain dead idjits here that live where you live.

That's why they are rated in co2 emmisions. If they were "Clean" then they wouldn't have that rating.
CO2 isn't a pollutant, dumbass. Plants need it to live.

And too much of it blocks healthy sunlight as well. There is too much in the atmosphere right now and not enough plants to use it properly. Then there is the carbon rating of the cars. And the Hydrocarbons, etc.. It all adds up given time. And we have given it plenty of time. Either do something about it or get used to the violent weather, droughts, forest fires, etc..

And too much of it blocks healthy sunlight as well. There is too much in the atmosphere right now and not enough plants to use it properly. Then there is the carbon rating of the cars. And the Hydrocarbons, etc.. It all adds up given time. And we have given it plenty of time. Either do something about it or get used to the violent weather, droughts, forest fires, etc..
CO2 doesn't block sunlight, moron, and there isn't too much of it. In fact, there isn't enough. It was getting so low that plants were on the verge of not being able to grow.

Life on Earth was nearly doomed by too little CO2

Forum List

Back