Save the planet - buy an electric car

Still need towing power for my boat, work trailer, other assorted toys. None of which are electric. Large V-8 for me for the long term.

Okay, let's talk about towing power. You have a 200 hp motor in your gas rig. I install a 180 hp electric motor in mine. Now we get to tow something. You have about 400 ftlbs of torque or more. I have 300. The difference is, I develop that HP and Torque at one RPM and you develop yours in a bell curve starting at zero. At Interstate speeds, you have the advantage. At lower speeds where most towing is done, the Electric has the advantage. And you have more high speed towing range. But even that is changing fast. A new Battery (half dry cell battery and half super capacitor) goes into full production. The cost is a fraction of either the Rare Earths with liquid solution or even the conventional Sealed Lead Acids. And that battery can take almost instant charges and has a life expectancy of over 100,000 recharging times. That's a lot of years. Plus, it's a fraction of the size meaning, you can have a hell of a lot more onboard batteries and get some really tremendous range and power. 2025 us going to rewrite all the rules and we need to figure out how to deal with it.

Can I ask a serious question? Why do you suck so badly at math and NOT know it?

Can I ask you a serious question? How long have you worked for an oil company?

Apparently longer than you studied math, chemistry and physics, which is never! What does that have to do with your misinformation and outright lies you have been posting?

Last edited:
Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.
People who drive on public roads need to contribute to the upkeep.
Traditionally that has been done with state and federal gas taxes.

People who drive electric cars should have to contribute and if they aren't paying gas taxes they have to pay some other way

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

The problem is not only the price in this context. The problem are still the batteries. To produce this batteries costs a lot of energy. The equivalent is 73-98 g CO2 per 100 km when we calculate 150,000 km for the lifetime of a car in Germany. And the batteries are not recyclable. That's about 50% - 2/3 of the emissions of a Diesel or gasoline engine. And here in Germany we produce electric power also with a lot of additional CO2 emissions (not so Norway for example which produces electric energy totally with water - that's why electric cars make in Norway a big sense). Perhaps the best worldwide under all climate zones could be a system for hydrogen drive. We produce for example in summer much more solar power than in winter. I heard we are not able to use all the solar-power which we produce in summer. Why not to produce hydrogen in summer? And in winter we have not enough solar power when electric cars need also a lot of additional energy for heating. So why not hydrogen drive?

Yep, and wait til those batteries start hitting the landfills.

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

We all saw this coming, someone has to pay for the roads

At 1700 bucks a pop, I really don't see it as an incentive. I see it as a bunch of Oil Mongrels paying politicians to try and kill off a competitor. I can see it being raised to 120 bucks. I pay that on my 15000 lb RV and my F-250 costs me almost a hundred a year. Colorado goes by vehicle weight with a minimum. The registration is only a small part of road and bridge maintenance. Consider this, we subsidize heavy trucks. If you go by the amount of damage each vehicle does, a heavy loaded out to 70,000 lbs would cost in the thousands of dollars to pay it's fair share. Believe it or not, the cars subsidize the heavies. If you didn't, that loaf of bread would be in excess of 200 bucks.

Auto registration is just ONE of the methods used to fund roads and bridges. It's just another method of taxes.

No disagreement from me, but with out those goods..... We are going to pay one way or another..

On a side note, thinking of moving from Wyoming to Colorado (have a job offer to run a small ski lodge ) how is the taxes/political climate down there?

You may want to consider Colorado just decimalized Magic Mushrooms. Not sure how you feel about that, but there could be a few cities that start looking like downtown San Francisco.

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose.
The purpose is to pay for the roads, dumbass.

The only way to make an electric car viable is to make the gas burners more expensive ? Yeah that will help the middle class.

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose.
How about cutting spending in other areas ?

The only way to make an electric car viable is to make the gas burners more expensive ? Yeah that will help the middle class.

Considering that the actual cost of the car will remain the same, they just need to make the batteries cheaper and better. This is being done now and will get better as time goes by.

The problem is not only the price in this context. The problem are still the batteries. To produce this batteries costs a lot of energy. The equivalent is 73-98 g CO2 per 100 km when we calculate 150,000 km for the lifetime of a car in Germany. And the batteries are not recyclable. That's about 50% - 2/3 of the emissions of a Diesel or gasoline engine. And here in Germany we produce electric power also with a lot of additional CO2 emissions (not so Norway for example which produces electric energy totally with water - that's why electric cars make in Norway a big sense). Perhaps the best worldwide under all climate zones could be a system for hydrogen drive. We produce for example in summer much more solar power than in winter. I heard we are not able to use all the solar-power which we produce in summer. Why not to produce hydrogen in summer? And in winter we have not enough solar power when electric cars need also a lot of additional energy for heating. So why not hydrogen drive?

Ever see a hydrogen explosion? It makes gasoline look like a firecracker!

I think the main reason to prevent Hydrogen from being use is, it's hard to contain.

This problems are solved. The problem is such a system is not able to grow slowly. It needs a kind of activation start. A big investment.

No matter how good you think your storage tank is and your lines, you will almost always have leaks. Hydrogen is the smallest molecule and works overtime to get free. And it gets trapped in places like wheel well and almost any place it can find a home. It also doesn't automatically mix with the air. So you have these trapped crevices. Any spark, flame or heat can set it off.

You underestimate scientists and technicians. Sure can happen a catastrophe - but what do you think happens when a Litium accumulator burns? And do you really think when an aeroplane burns this is not so dangerous than a burning Hindenburg?

Millions of people drive e-bikes - but also this can happen:

Last edited:

Considering that the actual cost of the car will remain the same, they just need to make the batteries cheaper and better. This is being done now and will get better as time goes by.

Yep, as soon as they start bumping up production in China. Oh wait, that won't be cheaper.

At 1700 bucks a pop, I really don't see it as an incentive. I see it as a bunch of Oil Mongrels paying politicians to try and kill off a competitor. I can see it being raised to 120 bucks. I pay that on my 15000 lb RV and my F-250 costs me almost a hundred a year. Colorado goes by vehicle weight with a minimum. The registration is only a small part of road and bridge maintenance. Consider this, we subsidize heavy trucks. If you go by the amount of damage each vehicle does, a heavy loaded out to 70,000 lbs would cost in the thousands of dollars to pay it's fair share. Believe it or not, the cars subsidize the heavies. If you didn't, that loaf of bread would be in excess of 200 bucks.

Auto registration is just ONE of the methods used to fund roads and bridges. It's just another method of taxes.

No disagreement from me, but with out those goods..... We are going to pay one way or another..

On a side note, thinking of moving from Wyoming to Colorado (have a job offer to run a small ski lodge ) how is the taxes/political climate down there?

It depends on where you move. I lived in the Denver burbs for several years, but that was ten years ago. The state has become more liberal/progressive along the Front Range especially, and in other enclaves throughout the state. Your ski resort MAY be located in an area that is more conservative.

In South fork

You'll probably have a pretty good mix down there, but resort towns are often liberal/progressive, and you've got Pagosa Springs, and Durango not too far away. I wouldn't let politics or anything cultural stop you as people are probably pretty moderate with a mix of liberal and conservative.

Yep, as soon as they start bumping up production in China. Oh wait, that won't be cheaper.

And now you say something about the very big problems of the USA. We sell - better to say we sold - German cars "made in the USA" in China. Now we have some uneconomical production facilities. We should write on the walls there: "Never trust in the USA - trust in god."

Last edited:

You are in for a cultural shock, I believe. You are moving form a prominently Red area to a Blue area. Since we have better roads and services, your taxes will be higher. Housing is more. Since you are going to be gainfully employed, glad to have you.
Yeah and crime is going through the roof in Denver..But doesnt compare with Illinois and Californication.

Drug And Alcohol Crimes in Denver, 2019: Denver Crimes

And now you say something about the very very big problem of the USA. We sell - better to say we sold - German cars "made in the USA" in China. Germans were the greatest car exporters of the USA. Now I fear German companies lost a lot of money in the USA in the last years. And US-Americans are happy about. Fine. Be happy. Again you wan against the trust of evil Nazis in the USA.

Not quite sure what you're saying. We should continue letting foreign countries export their products to America?

You are in for a cultural shock, I believe. You are moving form a prominently Red area to a Blue area. Since we have better roads and services, your taxes will be higher. Housing is more. Since you are going to be gainfully employed, glad to have you.

So blue states have better roads and services....certainly not here in California, you know, land of high taxes.

How about cutting spending in other areas ?
Cutting spending cannot pay to maintain the roads.

Although they are not very common now, EVs are the future of the automotive industry, therefore sooner or later we will need an alternative paradigm for road funding because the current system of using gasoline and diesel taxes will become increasingly obsolete and ineffective.

Increasing the registration fee on motorists who wear out the roads but do not pay any fuel tax seems like a fair alternative.

Last edited:
Actually, there are coal powered cars. When WWII Germany had a problem with the Romanian Oil Fields and Refineries being bombed and disrupted, they processed coal into Fuel. The only reason that Coal isn't used today is that the cost per barrel of crude is so low. But we are now introducing more and more Shale Oil since the margin is higher than it used to be and the method used to extract oil from Shale has gone down. The methods used to convert coal into fuel is an old one. The Only Reason it's not up to the Shale level is that there has been almost zero funds in developing it. But someday, the cost of crude will allow even coal to be used as fuel oil.

Another way to use coal as an automobile fuel is to make the car run off electricity.

As for revenue, there are just so many ways to do that other than charging 1700 bucks a year to operate an electric vehicle.

Actually, it's only $1000, according to the article. But sure, there are other ways to raise the revenue. One way that has been very popular for decades is to charge a per gallon tax on gasoline. But coal powered vehicle users don't use gasoline.

This is just another way to try and kill off an alternative powered vehicle.

Don't be ridiculous.

Anymore ridiculous than putting as many roadblocks in the way of competing technology to same the older on that needs to be replaced?

Try that again in English after you sober up!

I used English. Sorry about that. I guess I should have used Dinosaur ultrarightee languge.

ELECTRIC VEHICLES ARE BAD!!!!!
I do hope that you dont have to go from Maine to Florida. When you get only 250 miles on a charge, without using lights, A/C, windshield wipers, and it takes up to 1 hour for each charge, you just might make that trip of 2 days into 7 days.....

I wouldn't drive one ... but I believe children should.

You should drive one, a Tesla, so you don't sound like an ignorant fool.

2019 Tesla Model S
#1 in Luxury Large Cars

2019 Tesla Model 3
#1 in Luxury Small Cars

2019 Jaguar I-Pace

#2 out of 16 in Luxury Compact SUVs
My son has the Model 3. Nice car. As all electric, it's fast and the torque is instantaneous. Cost way too much, but he has money to burn.

It's cheap if you drive alot because you don't pay for gas, oil changes and put almost no wear on brakes due to regenerative deceleration as soon as you lay-off the pedal (aka one-pedal driving)

I know a guy that previously spent $300/mo on gasoline with a $38k Audi A3 and now he spends $20-30 on a $40k Model 3 (comes loaded with everything), so for him Model 3 is a steal of a deal, with insta-speed and zero emmisions as a cherry on top.

Electric cars are the future, for sure.

Last edited:

And now you say something about the very very big problem of the USA. We sell - better to say we sold - German cars "made in the USA" in China. Germans were the greatest car exporters of the USA. Now I fear German companies lost a lot of money in the USA in the last years. And US-Americans are happy about. Fine. Be happy. Again you wan against the trust of evil Nazis in the USA.

Not quite sure what you're saying. We should continue letting foreign countries export their products to America?

No. That's a waste of time. Execute everyone who is doing business with the USA. That's much more effective. A good idea could also be to nuke everyone who sells and/or produces something in the USA.

By the way. Why do you let not just simple the people decide what they like to buy and what not? 25% of the lower middle class in the USA have a serios problem when they have suddenly to pay more than $400 a year. Trump costs this people every year a minimum of additional $670. Tendence growing.

If you are really convinced no one should buy Chinese or European goods then tell the people they should not buy this goods. What about this simple idea? Then the people, who have a real choice, may do so.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back