SC Legislature banning books?

Thank you Old School and Bendog for the links.

This reeks of censorship. The state of SC does not have the right to dictate what anyone is allowed to read under the 1st Amendment. Since the Supreme Court has declared that money equals free speech (Citizens United) the withholding of funds for specific books is a denial of free speech rights by the state of SC.

This case will probably be taken up the ACLU and the anti-gay brigade will go ballistic in my opinion.

Damn, you almost sounded intelligent, than you spoke up.

As was asked earlier how is cutting funding banning books?

Per the links the SC legislators made the connection between books and funding so they have to deal with the consequences of what they provided as a rationalization for their defiance of the 1st Amendment.

If they had simply cut the funding and then given the reason verbally without any witnesses present there would have been no way to prove that there was any connection.

But they were proud of being censors and wanted to be recognized as such and so they will have to deal with the consequences.

Per common sense, only a complete idiot would claim that not handing over cash is censorship.

Members of the South Carolina House of Representatives on Wednesday voted to cut $70,000 in funding from two public colleges that assigned two books about same-sex relationships to freshmen students.
The legislators voted to cut $17,000 in funding from the University of South Carolina Upstate for assigning “Out Loud: The Best of Rainbow Radio,” a collection of stories first broadcast on a state radio program. The panel cut $52,000 from the College of Charleston’s budget for assigning “Fun Home,” a graphic autobiography about a young woman growing up in rural Pennsylvania. The amounts reflect the money the two universities spent purchasing the two books.

“One of the things I learned over the years is that if you want to make a point, you have to make it hurt,” state Rep. Garry Smith (R), who pushed for the cuts, told The State newspaper.
South Carolina legislators cut university funding over gay-themed books

Would you be upset if California cut funding to a school if they cut funding over a required course in creation science? Doesn't that make you a scumbag hack?

If you're asking PC or Non-PC, then the point might have validity. However, generally, what is taught in college must pass a departmental review of professionals.

Here you have forty hissing possums in a barn deriding what they have no knowledge of.

Are the books allowed on campus? If so they have not been banned.

Correct, the SC legislature is unconstitutionally censoring the universities by depriving them of funding with the openly stated intention of suppressing what they personally find to be morally objectionable.

Correct, the SC legislature is unconstitutionally censoring the universities by depriving them of funding with the openly stated intention of suppressing what they personally find to be morally objectionable.

The following is from one of the links provided it doesn't seem like there trying very hard to censor anything.

The amounts legislators want to cut are relatively small parts of the two schools’ budgets. USC Upstate received about $10.3 million in state funding in 2013, according to the school’s budget office; the College of Charleston received a little over $19 million in state funding.

The following is from one of the links provided it doesn't seem like there trying very hard to censor anything.

The amounts legislators want to cut are relatively small parts of the two schools’ budgets. USC Upstate received about $10.3 million in state funding in 2013, according to the school’s budget office; the College of Charleston received a little over $19 million in state funding.

From the link I provided earlier;

The amounts reflect the money the two universities spent purchasing the two books.

They are specifically censoring those 2 books because the amount is directly correlated to the expenditure and the elected official made the connection publicly. Censorship is a violation of the Constitution irrespective of the number of publications and the cost involved. The people who passed this have betrayed their oath of office and the people of their state.

I thought your claim that not giving them money is censorship was stupid, I was wrong, you just made it look sane and rational.

...the SC legislature is unconstitutionally censoring the universities by depriving them of funding with the openly stated intention of suppressing what they personally find to be morally objectionable.

Banned was pretty bad. Now unconstitutional? Oooooooookay.

1. Would that be the S.C. State Constitution or the U.S. Constitution? Where does either constitution address the funding of books? Link and constitution quote please.

2. Still haven't answered my earlier question: If I'm caught with one of these banned books, what will happen to me? What is the penalty? What is the penalty for the person who sold me the book?

You know, the nefarious banned book dealer. The scourge of our college streets.

dangers-of-getting-percodan-from-a-dealer-300x199.jpg

"Yo Man. Whats you want?"

"I want some books dude."

"Cracka, you crazy. Books be banned dumbazz".

"I don't care. I wants me some books."

"OK Cracka. It's yo funeral."

Last edited:
...the SC legislature is unconstitutionally censoring the universities by depriving them of funding with the openly stated intention of suppressing what they personally find to be morally objectionable.

Banned was pretty bad. Now unconstitutional? Oooooooookay.

1. Would that be the S.C. State Constitution or the U.S. Constitution? Where does either constitution address the funding of books? Link and constitution quote please.

2. Still haven't answered my earlier question: If I'm caught with one of these banned books, what will happen to me? What is the penalty? What is the penalty for the person who sold me the book?

You know, the nefarious banned book dealer. The scourge of our college streets.

dangers-of-getting-percodan-from-a-dealer-300x199.jpg

"Yo Man. Whats you want?"

"I want some books dude."

"Cracka, you crazy. Books be banned dumbazz".

"I don't care. I wants me some books."

"OK Cracka. It's yo funeral."

1. The 1st amendment right of freedom of expression means that no level of government (federal, state or local) is allowed to impose censorship.

2. Your strawman is your problem. The onus is on you to provide proof that I alleged that books were "banned".

Whoa there pardner!

If the money belongs to the State of South Carolina, it can do with that money as it pleases.

There would be no such fervor of this kind from the liberals if were just the Bible being banned.

Nothing is being banned, this is a matter of unconstitutional coercive legislation that is is violation of the 1st amendment in order to promote the morality of the legislature.

And you are completely wrong about both liberals and the bible. The ACLU and liberals would be just as appalled if that was happening because this is a matter of rights and censorship.

Whoa there pardner!

If the money belongs to the State of South Carolina, it can do with that money as it pleases.

Nope! Taxpayer funds cannot be used to censor free speech rights.

The South Carolina Legislature is cutting funding to a state university for having a book that's theme deals with homosexuals. They are cutting almost $18,000.00 this year and another $52,000.00 next year.

In the internet age, banning books is a waste of everyone's time and money. And when ever you ban something, you only increase peoples' desire to see or read it to see why it was banned. Wanna make something incredibly popular? Ban it.

Sites with lists and descriptions of banned books:

Banned Books That Shaped America | Banned Books Week
"Fahrenheit 451" among them, can you say "irony?"

Googling around, think the OP meant this item,
SC legislators want to punish 2 colleges in budget - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina legislators want to punish two public colleges for assigning books on homosexuality to freshmen.

The House budget-writing committee on Wednesday tentatively approved a spending plan for 2014-15 that would cut $52,000 from the College of Charleston and $17,142 from the University of South Carolina Upstate.

Last summer, the College of Charleston assigned the Alison Bechdel book, "Fun Home," to incoming freshmen. Bechdel's book describes her childhood with a closeted gay father and her own coming out as a lesbian.

USC Upstate assigned "Out Loud: The Best of Rainbow Radio," referring to South Carolina's first gay and lesbian radio show, for a required course for all freshmen, which included lectures and other out-of-classroom activities meant to spark discussions about the book. Social conservatives complained about the colleges' selections.

The proposed reductions in the budget equal what the colleges spent on the programs."

Forum List

Back