SC Legislature banning books?

...the SC legislature is unconstitutionally censoring the universities by depriving them of funding with the openly stated intention of suppressing what they personally find to be morally objectionable.

Banned was pretty bad. Now unconstitutional? Oooooooookay.

1. Would that be the S.C. State Constitution or the U.S. Constitution? Where does either constitution address the funding of books? Link and constitution quote please.

2. Still haven't answered my earlier question: If I'm caught with one of these banned books, what will happen to me? What is the penalty? What is the penalty for the person who sold me the book?

You know, the nefarious banned book dealer. The scourge of our college streets.

dangers-of-getting-percodan-from-a-dealer-300x199.jpg

"Yo Man. Whats you want?"

"I want some books dude."

"Cracka, you crazy. Books be banned dumbazz".

"I don't care. I wants me some books."

"OK Cracka. It's yo funeral."

1. The 1st amendment right of freedom of expression means that no level of government (federal, state or local) is allowed to impose censorship.

2. Your strawman is your problem. The onus is on you to provide proof that I alleged that books were "banned".

Seriously dude? I think you should see a doctor, you are having serious issue with your memory, not to mention your logic.

Let me see if I can use small words to tell you how it is.

Not paying is not mean.

Thank you Old School and Bendog for the links.

This reeks of censorship. The state of SC does not have the right to dictate what anyone is allowed to read under the 1st Amendment. Since the Supreme Court has declared that money equals free speech (Citizens United) the withholding of funds for specific books is a denial of free speech rights by the state of SC.

This case will probably be taken up the ACLU and the anti-gay brigade will go ballistic in my opinion.

There would be no such fervor of this kind from the liberals if were just the Bible being banned.

Nothing is being banned, this is a matter of unconstitutional coercive legislation that is is violation of the 1st amendment in order to promote the morality of the legislature.

And you are completely wrong about both liberals and the bible. The ACLU and liberals would be just as appalled if that was happening because this is a matter of rights and censorship.

I bet you cannot find a single case of any government entity in this country cutting funding for a school because they objected to a specific book that ever got that government sued.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

Correct, the SC legislature is unconstitutionally censoring the universities by depriving them of funding with the openly stated intention of suppressing what they personally find to be morally objectionable.

Whoa there pardner!

If the money belongs to the State of South Carolina, it can do with that money as it pleases.

Nope! Taxpayer funds cannot be used to censor free speech rights.

Excuse me, this is not unconstitutional or coercive, despite your massive stupidity.

The South Carolina Legislature is cutting funding to a state university for having a book that's theme deals with homosexuals. They are cutting almost $18,000.00 this year and another $52,000.00 next year.

In the internet age, banning books is a waste of everyone's time and money. And when ever you ban something, you only increase peoples' desire to see or read it to see why it was banned. Wanna make something incredibly popular? Ban it.

It is a good thing they didn't even try, isn't it?

On the other hand, if they had tried, at least your post would make sense.

GOOD.

Im tired of my tax dollars going to support the liberal gay agenda, and this is a step in the right direction.

As was asked earlier how is cutting funding banning books?

Per the links the SC legislators made the connection between books and funding so they have to deal with the consequences of what they provided as a rationalization for their defiance of the 1st Amendment.

If they had simply cut the funding and then given the reason verbally without any witnesses present there would have been no way to prove that there was any connection.

But they were proud of being censors and wanted to be recognized as such and so they will have to deal with the consequences.

Correct.

This is known as prior restraint, where the government seeks to disallow the dissemination of information it deems inappropriate. In order to do so, the state must meet a very heavy burden to justify a compelling governmental interest based on objective, documented evidence.

With regard to both of these criteria the state of South Carolina has failed:

Members of the South Carolina House of Representatives on Wednesday voted to cut $70,000 in funding from two public colleges that assigned two books about same-sex relationships to freshmen students.

“One of the things I learned over the years is that if you want to make a point, you have to make it hurt,” state Rep. Garry Smith (R), who pushed for the cuts, told The State newspaper. “I understand academic freedom, but this is not academic freedom. … This was about promoting one side with no academic debate involved.”
Nonsense.

Conservative lawmakers are seeking to stifle academic debate predicated solely on fear and hate toward gay Americans, in violation of the First Amendment – not that this comes as any surprise, of course.

So, if I'm caught with one of these books in South Carolina, what's going to happen to me? It's banned after all. What's the penalty?

You don’t understand.

It has nothing to do with being ‘caught’ with anything.

It has to do with the fact that South Carolina lawmakers, in violation of the First Amendment, are using the power and authority of the state to prohibit the distribution of information it subjectively and capriciously believes to be ‘inappropriate,’ predicated solely on animus toward gay Americans:

“One of the things I learned over the years is that if you want to make a point, you have to make it hurt,” state Rep. Garry Smith (R)…”

Correct.

This is known as prior restraint,

Are you fucking high?

FYI, oh he of the incredibly bad legal advice, prior restraint, by fucking definition, is acting before somebody does something in an attempt to prevent it. This, in case you have problem with the elemental concept of cause and effect, is something that occurred after they university did something,and can only be considered prior restraint if you are a fucking moron.

Fucking moron.

So, if I'm caught with one of these books in South Carolina, what's going to happen to me? It's banned after all. What's the penalty?

You don’t understand.

It has nothing to do with being ‘caught’ with anything.

It has to do with the fact that South Carolina lawmakers, in violation of the First Amendment, are using the power and authority of the state to prohibit the distribution of information it subjectively and capriciously believes to be ‘inappropriate,’ predicated solely on animus toward gay Americans:

“One of the things I learned over the years is that if you want to make a point, you have to make it hurt,” state Rep. Garry Smith (R)…”

Trust me on this, you are the one that doesn't understand.

Correct.

This is known as prior restraint,

Are you fucking high?

FYI, oh he of the incredibly bad legal advice, prior restraint, by fucking definition, is acting before somebody does something in an attempt to prevent it. This, in case you have problem with the elemental concept of cause and effect, is something that occurred after they university did something,and can only be considered prior restraint if you are a fucking moron.

Fucking moron.
A link in case anyone doubts it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.law.cornell.edu%2Fwex%2Fprior_restraint&ei=9y8JU8jdA6nlyQGNnYCwBg&usg=AFQjCNF7Xh3zHqJJOPu2RZ__6OKuq2JOgQ&sig2=1LtVLFOrxf9qMftD4m0tAA&bvm=bv.61725948,d.aWc

Read the article. The school is requiring reading gay themed books and eliminating books based on our founding documents.

Republicans do love some good old government intervention.

Democrats who opposed the cuts said lawmakers who wanted to manage a university’s reading list should run for positions on the state Board of Trustees, which oversees the state’s public universities.

It's a government university, you ducking moron. Ever thing it does is government intervention.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Read the article. The school is requiring reading gay themed books and eliminating books based on our founding documents.

Republicans do love some good old government intervention.

Democrats who opposed the cuts said lawmakers who wanted to manage a university’s reading list should run for positions on the state Board of Trustees, which oversees the state’s public universities.

It's a government university, you fucking moron. Ever thing it does is government intervention.

Ya know who should be pissed? The parents of these college students who are paying for them to attend college only to be forced to read some pro faggotry crap that has nothing to do with getting an education to get a good job and has EVERYTHING to do with indoctrination.

It's a government university, you fucking moron. Ever thing it does is government intervention.

That's some impressive tapatalking.

You know what we're all forgetting in this thread? In fact I can't believe it hasn't been brought up!

South Carolina HAS BOOKS!!!! :clap2:

Who would've thunk it??? We should be celebrating!

Ya know who should be pissed? The parents of these college students who are paying for them to attend college only to be forced to read some pro faggotry crap that has nothing to do with getting an education to get a good job and has EVERYTHING to do with indoctrination.

Bang on except for the gay derision if you don't mind. I have a few current friends who are gay and I served with many gay men and women in the Air Force. All top notch, hard working people.

I put myself through college. It took me six years to get my diploma. The first three, I worked 50 hours a week at a day job while I took night classes four nights a week. The last three, I attended class full time and worked as a cook at night and took out student loans.

Attending a classical university as a young person who has worked in the real world is an exercise in suspending reality. Your dealing with older people in authority who have control over your future. You've got no cards to play. And you learn that quick.

All my professors had never left the campus since they arrived after graduating from high school. They could spout theory and even believed half of it. What they couldn't do was teach something useful that could be used to get and keep a job. They had no concept of reality. I quickly leaned to stop asking questions which made them look stupid. Later, I learned to stop asking questions at all. The professors knew nothing of the world I was going into. Why bother asking them? Meanwhile, the parents of my younger and richer classmates are forking out gazillions to finance this dog and pony show which would not help their progeny to get a job.

I'm almost at the point of advising young people not to go to a four year institution. Take two years of transferable credits at a community college while working full or part time. Take another two years off to earn money to go to a university, take a light load and work at night while there. Do not go in debt to pay for it. With this economy, what's the hurry?

My wife and I were at our wing joint the other night. A new bartender was chatting with a buddy of his seated next to us. They were both bitching about their student loan debt--both well north of 70K. The bartender had a degree in political science. My unemployed bar stool partner had a degree in history. My wife and I swapped silent glances. (Really? In this economy, you went into debt for those degrees?!). Ah, to be young again.

Call me a grumpy old man but color me a realist. You want to sit in front of me at an interview with a mountain of debt, an entitlement mentality, no concept of reality, no work experience, your head crammed full of opinions from liberal professors detached from reality and you want to sell yourself to my company as a victim? All you've done is party on a credit card and make bad life decisions. Oh yeah, you're the person I want to hire.

There's a wing joint with an opening in your future. And a long happy life voting for Democrats. Because your choices made you the victim.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back