Scientists Discover a Self-Replicating Protein Structure, And It Could Have Built The First Life on

But the universe did create life and intelligence did evolve. I'm arguing that life arising is like the universe being matter filled instead of only radiation filled. It's improbable.
So how did the universe create that first life?

The Earth was a different place back then. What would happen to a long chain organic molecule if it appeared today with lots of bacteria and other life to eat it?
OMG, seriously? If it is a natural process, it should be easy to reproduce.

So how did the universe create that first life?
No idea. The best guess is hot, wet conditions, long chains of organic molecules and chance. Chance as in the chain forming in the correct sequence and chance in the chain folding itself in the correct sequence. Which tells me that it was probably somewhere on the sea floor near a thermal vent.

But weren't you the guy that argued life evolved on land first? Then moved into the sea and then moved back on land?

Given the cooling earth, the change in the atmosphere and therefore the sun radiation spectra. You would have different conditions every few million years.
And life could have spawned, when one of those windows produced just the right conditions.

The problem with trying to recreate a natural process that occurred over millions if not billions of years, isn't something that can be readily replicated on the time scale humans exist on.

Can you thumbnail it for me? Or is google search the extent of you talent?
My bad, I thought you'd be able to understand the science but here's the thumbnail:
Through ionic intercalation the clay layered structure units can be modified and enabled to self-assemble into ordered arrays such as rod-, dendrite-, and fiber-like microstructures​

My bad, I thought you'd be able to understand the science but here's the thumbnail:
Through ionic intercalation the clay layered structure units can be modified and enabled to self-assemble into ordered arrays such as rod-, dendrite-, and fiber-like microstructures​
Ok, so where's the evolution part? Because that's what we are discussing, right?

Too complex to have formed spontaneously.
And yet it did. So however improbable it is, that's what happened. Long chains of organic compounds which mimicked amino acids folding themselves in the correct sequence.

It would be if we had a world without free oxygen but with plenty of other elements and molecules, an atmosphere, a variety of geophysical structure, no pre-existing life, and a few hundred million years.

It would be if we had a world without free oxygen but with plenty of other elements and molecules, an atmosphere, a variety of geophysical structure, no pre-existing life, and a few hundred million years.
Or lot's of time on the ocean floor near thermal vents.

And yet it did. So however improbable it is, that's what happened. Long chains of organic compounds which mimicked amino acids folding themselves in the correct sequence.
Believe whatever you wish but I doubt that idea has much support in the scientific literature. Am I right?

Believe whatever you wish but I doubt that idea has much support in the scientific literature. Am I right?
That's where I first heard it from. Did you honestly think I made it up on my own. I had no idea about the folding sequences of amino acids.

Given the cooling earth, the change in the atmosphere and therefore the sun radiation spectra. You would have different conditions every few million years.
And life could have spawned, when one of those windows produced just the right conditions.

The problem with trying to recreate a natural process that occurred over millions if not billions of years, isn't something that can be readily replicated on the time scale humans exist on.
Natural processes are repeatable, right? Replicate the conditions and it should occur, right?

Natural processes are repeatable, right? Replicate the conditions and it should occur, right?
You have a temperature scale from above boiling to below freezing. Light conditions covering different levels of visible, UV-a UV-b UV-c and gamma radiation. Plus changing atmospheric gases. That means as many different conditions as grains of sand on a beach. So unless you know which grain of sand was the correct set of conditions, running the experiment with any other set would fail.

You have a temperature scale from above boiling to below freezing. Light conditions covering different levels of visible, UV-a UV-b UV-c and gamma radiation. Plus changing atmospheric gases. That means as many different conditions as grains of sand on a beach. So unless you know which grain of sand was the correct set of conditions, running the experiment with any other set would fail.
Do you think conditions on the sea floor have changed significantly?

Forum List

Back