Scott Walker: "Min. wage serves no purpose"

He's being under attack for saying stuff that is completely true.

“I want jobs that pay two or three times the minimum wage,” Walker said, adding, “The way you do that is not by (setting) an arbitrary amount by the state.”
Does that mean the first-term Republican governor opposes a minimum wage on principle?

During Tuesday's meeting with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel'sEditorial Board, Walker was asked to clarify his position. He didn't hesitate.

“I'm not going to repeal it,” Walker said. “But I don't think it serves a purpose because we're debating then about what the lowest levels are at. I want people to make, like I said the other night, two or three times that.”

Walker said he wants to help people get the skills they need to find careers that pay many times the current minimum wage, which is $7.25 an hour.

“The jobs I focus on, the programs we put in place, the training we put in place is not for people to get minimum wage jobs,” he said.

Liberal groups and labor organizations immediately went on the attack, tearing into the governor for saying he doesn’t think the minimum wage “serves a purpose.”

First out of the box was American Bridge — a Democratic Super PAC — which had video of the quote posted before the Editorial Board had concluded.

Then Walker came under fire from his campaign foe, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke. She has said she wants to raise the minimum wage in three stages to $10.10 an hour.

“Well, I disagree with it entirely,” Burke told Journal Sentinel reporter Bill Glauber in response to Walker’s comment earlier in the day. “It's important that people who are working fulltime are able to support themselves without government assistance. That's just sort of common sense.”

She said that reducing the number of people on the public dole would reduce the state budget and improve the economy, adding that many business owners she knows supporting increasing the minimum wage.

“I want to make sure people are able to have the pride of having a full-time job and supporting themselves,” Burke said.

A number of liberal websites — such as Talking Points Memo, Huffington Post and Think Progress — jumped on Walker’s comment.

Finally, a top labor official tried to take the governor to task.

“For nearly a century, American workers have relied on minimum wage protections,” said Stephanie Bloomingdale, secretary-treasurer of the Wisconsin State AFL-CIO. “Now is not the time to take away these important laws,” she continued. “Now is the time to raise the minimum wage so that people who get up and go to work every day can have a decent standard of living.”

This is the second remark from the debate for which Walker has come under strong criticism.

In the first, the governor said, “We don’t have a jobs problem in this state. We have a work problem.”

Burke and other Democrats ripped the statement, suggesting he is ignoring the fact that Wisconsin trails other states in job growth.

Walker countered in a 30-second ad earlier this week.

He has said the statement at the debate concerned the so-called “skills gap,” the notion that good jobs in the state aren’t being filled because of a lack of trained workers.

“Mary Burke is distorting my comments on jobs,” Walker said in the commercial. “It’s no wonder. The tax-and-spend policies she supports drove out good-paying manufacturing jobs in Wisconsin.”

The two candidates for the state’s top office will square off again Friday, sparking a second round of debate — and TV ads — over what is meant and said.​

Link:
Scott Walker says he doesn t believe minimum wage serves a purpose - JSOnline

Does the min. wage serve a purpose or should companies be allowed to pay what the market dictates?
Walker makes a lot of sense.......if you don't require a minimum wage, employers will pay two or three times that out of the goodness of their heart
Do you think workers will work for nothing out the goodness of their own hearts?
Fool.

Does the min. wage serve a purpose or should companies be allowed to pay what the market dictates?

Walker's problem is that he's viewing the issue in a temporal vacuum. We have to look at the issue across history and understand it in the context of its continually evolving function. The minimum wage serves a purpose, and has done so effectively for a long time. The issue in 21st century America is that the minimum wage is no longer an effective mechanism to achieve the purpose it's meant to achieve, and raising the minimum wage will have a negligible effect at best at successfully reaching the intended goal. The main reason for this is that the causes of income inequality no longer have anything to do with where the minimum wage is set. The causes of today's income inequality are distinct economic and social failings which generally sidestep the hard numbers of the minimum wage.

I support an entire shift in approach. Instead of raising the minimum wage, there should be a maximum wage, that ties CEO compensation to a more sustainable level compared to lowest tier employee compensation, in conjunction with an abolition of the minimum wage. But in order to really effect meaningful change, gotta get the illegals out of jobs that Americans should be filling.
What would be accomplished by creating a maximum wage? If it were below what the current market rate is, why would anyone work for it?

“I want jobs that pay two or three times the minimum wage,” Walker said, adding, “The way you do that is not by (setting) an arbitrary amount by the state.”
Does that mean the first-term Republican governor opposes a minimum wage on principle?

During Tuesday's meeting with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel'sEditorial Board, Walker was asked to clarify his position. He didn't hesitate.

“I'm not going to repeal it,” Walker said. “But I don't think it serves a purpose because we're debating then about what the lowest levels are at. I want people to make, like I said the other night, two or three times that.”

Walker said he wants to help people get the skills they need to find careers that pay many times the current minimum wage, which is $7.25 an hour.

“The jobs I focus on, the programs we put in place, the training we put in place is not for people to get minimum wage jobs,” he said.

Liberal groups and labor organizations immediately went on the attack, tearing into the governor for saying he doesn’t think the minimum wage “serves a purpose.”

First out of the box was American Bridge — a Democratic Super PAC — which had video of the quote posted before the Editorial Board had concluded.

Then Walker came under fire from his campaign foe, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke. She has said she wants to raise the minimum wage in three stages to $10.10 an hour.

“Well, I disagree with it entirely,” Burke told Journal Sentinel reporter Bill Glauber in response to Walker’s comment earlier in the day. “It's important that people who are working fulltime are able to support themselves without government assistance. That's just sort of common sense.”

She said that reducing the number of people on the public dole would reduce the state budget and improve the economy, adding that many business owners she knows supporting increasing the minimum wage.

“I want to make sure people are able to have the pride of having a full-time job and supporting themselves,” Burke said.

A number of liberal websites — such as Talking Points Memo, Huffington Post and Think Progress — jumped on Walker’s comment.

“For nearly a century, American workers have relied on minimum wage protections,” said Stephanie Bloomingdale, secretary-treasurer of the Wisconsin State AFL-CIO. “Now is not the time to take away these important laws,” she continued. “Now is the time to raise the minimum wage so that people who get up and go to work every day can have a decent standard of living.”

This is the second remark from the debate for which Walker has come under strong criticism.

In the first, the governor said, “We don’t have a jobs problem in this state. We have a work problem.”

Burke and other Democrats ripped the statement, suggesting he is ignoring the fact that Wisconsin trails other states in job growth.

He has said the statement at the debate concerned the so-called “skills gap,” the notion that good jobs in the state aren’t being filled because of a lack of trained workers.

“Mary Burke is distorting my comments on jobs,” Walker said in the commercial. “It’s no wonder. The tax-and-spend policies she supports drove out good-paying manufacturing jobs in Wisconsin.”

The two candidates for the state’s top office will square off again Friday, sparking a second round of debate — and TV ads — over what is meant and said.​

Link:

Walker makes a lot of sense.......if you don't require a minimum wage, employers will pay two or three times that out of the goodness of their heart
Do you think workers will work for nothing out the goodness of their own hearts?
Fool.
Do you even read the English language? Walker is claiming employers will pay HIGHER wages if we remove the minimum wage

Defend it

Link:

Fool.
Do you even read the English language? Walker is claiming employers will pay HIGHER wages if we remove the minimum wage

Defend it
He's right. If you had bothered to take an Econ course you would understand that. Of course they don't offer Econ 101 in 4th grade, your last grade completed, so I can't blame you completely.

Lefties must be desperate to post this junk. Didn't you have enough of Obama claiming that minimum wage jobs were the the best he could come up with? Who could argue with a politician who wants jobs that pay two or three times minimum wage?

Jeeebus Pubs are fos, and you dupes go right along. The average age of people who would be affected by raising the min wage is 35. Pubs have been waging class warfare on the nonrich for 30 years. Raising it would raise all boats, not just yachts.

The biggest fallacy about focusing on the Minimum Wage is ignoring the consequences of NOT paying anyone a living wage for working 8 hours a day.

As taxpayers we subsidize the housing and healthcare of those making minimum wages. That is Corporate Welfare.

No business deserves to have the benefit of taxpayer subsidized employees.

There's a simple solution to the problem: stop paying out the welfare benefits. Of course, all the libturds whining about this aren't really concerned about the money paid out. It's just a sleazy tactic to attack a company that has successfully resisted every attempt by unions to organize it. People aren't fooled by this kind of crap any longer. You only make yourself look like a weasel by posting this crap.

So until we stop blaming the victims and look at this as what it really is in reality, Corporate Welfare, we will never resolve the problem.

So Walmart employees are the "victims" of having a job?

The libturd delusion carnival never stops!

Link:

Fool.

Defend it
He's right. If you had bothered to take an Econ course you would understand that. Of course they don't offer Econ 101 in 4th grade, your last grade completed, so I can't blame you completely.
Splain it to us Rabbi
What economic force causes wages to go up if you drop minimum wage?

Jeeebus Pubs are fos, and you dupes go right along. The average age of people who would be affected by raising the min wage is 35. Pubs have been waging class warfare on the nonrich for 30 years. Raising it would raise all boats, not just yachts.

Is this a form of Spanish language? Are you an illegal Alien?

Simple solutions are for simpletons. What do you have against poor people. How bout a jobs infrastructure bill, training for 3 million tech jobs, and a living wage- making a black president a failure is so important?

What would be accomplished by creating a maximum wage? If it were below what the current market rate is, why would anyone work for it?

To be clear, "maximum wage" is a bit of a misnomer. My idea is that a fixed ratio between bottom and top tier compensation in a given company is a much better approach than obsessing over a hard minimum wage. It only works if you abolish the minimum wage, though. And getting rid of Obamacare would be important, too.

To be clear, "maximum wage" is a bit of a misnomer. My idea is that a fixed ratio between bottom and top tier compensation in a given company is a much better approach than obsessing over a hard minimum wage. It only works if you abolish the minimum wage, though. And getting rid of Obamacare would be important, too.
Again, if the maximum rate was below the market rate for the top job, what would be accomplished by doing that?

Link:

Fool.

Defend it
Splain it to us Rabbi
What economic force causes wages to go up if you drop minimum wage?
Supply and demand.
I could explain it but it's like explaining astrophysics to a hamster.

Again, if the maximum rate was below the market rate for the top job, what would be accomplished by doing that?

You don't seem to be understanding. There would be no maximum rate. There would only be a maximum disparity.

You don't seem to be understanding. There would be no maximum rate. There would only be a maximum disparity.
It's effectively the same thing. There is some theoretical rate that CEOs could not get paid more than.
My question is what is accomplished by doing that?

the consequences of NOT paying anyone a living wage for working 8 hours a day.
You mean, "the consequences of a worker trying to support himself (and possibly a family) by doing only work that does not create the revenue it takes to pay for it", don't you?

Blaming the victim does not resolve the problem.

Corporate Welfare is the problem.

Give me sound fiscal reasons why any corporation is entitled to the benefits of subsidized employees. Your desire for a cheap Big Mac is not a sound fiscal reason.
The problem you have is that you don't know who the victim is.

Here is a hint. It is NOT the employee.

Forum List

Back