Scott Walker On Evolution: 'I Am Going To Punt On That One'

Not answering honestly.

He said he would punt on the question.
That means he would answer it later and he did.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/02/11/walker-steps-back-from-evolution-punt/
He tweeted-
Both science & my faith dictate my belief that we are created by God. I believe faith & science are compatible, & go hand in hand.

So basically, he is a creationist who believes that the best scientific theory ever conceived (one adhered to by over 90% of the world's scientists) is wrong. Got it.
He did not say that he did not beleive in evolution. Many Christians tie evolution and creationism together. If God is the creator, then he made the scientific "laws" by which the universe operates.

Obama and Hillary both claim to be Christians. When will hillary be asked if she beleives that God created the universe?

Catholics are also Christians, and yet they teach the theory of evolution in their schools. It is where I was first exposed to it.
Then what is your problem with Walker? Why can't he have his faith and beleive in science also. You don't seem to mind that Catholics beleive that God is the creator.

It isn't a matter of his faith. He can believe in pink leprechauns for all I care. But I do care whether or not he supports science.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/02/11/walker-steps-back-from-evolution-punt/
He tweeted-
Both science & my faith dictate my belief that we are created by God. I believe faith & science are compatible, & go hand in hand.

So basically, he is a creationist who believes that the best scientific theory ever conceived (one adhered to by over 90% of the world's scientists) is wrong. Got it.
He did not say that he did not beleive in evolution. Many Christians tie evolution and creationism together. If God is the creator, then he made the scientific "laws" by which the universe operates.

Obama and Hillary both claim to be Christians. When will hillary be asked if she beleives that God created the universe?

Catholics are also Christians, and yet they teach the theory of evolution in their schools. It is where I was first exposed to it.
Then what is your problem with Walker? Why can't he have his faith and beleive in science also. You don't seem to mind that Catholics beleive that God is the creator.

It isn't a matter of his faith. He can believe in pink leprechauns for all I care. But I do care whether or not he supports science.
In what way do you beleive that he does not or would not support science?

If this is all to do about how Walker would support science, perhaps the questions to him should be more policy oriented. For example, does he support NASA?

th

I would not suggest that you conform to anything, but your "belief in" Science is as faith based as any religion. Understand the limits of Science and your faith is limited. It's like having faith in plumbing!! lol

Greg

That's like saying that I must have faith in the force of gravity. If I drop my pen, I know it will fall to the ground. My belief that it will is not faith-based. It is based on empirical evidence through experimentation, repeated ad nauseam. I can demonstrate it, make predictions about it, generate a mathematical theorem of how it works, and have you do the same and thereby, through peer review verify that my findings are valid. Got anything remotely resembling that with your creator? Sorry, you are mistaken.

If you drop it in space will it fall down? I have falsified it!! So your theory is incomplete!!!

Greg

If I drop it in space will it fall? Yes. Space ships orbiting the Earth are falling AROUND it. You should take a class. Zero gravity in Earth orbit is a misnomer. Objects in orbit do not have zero gravity. They are in free fall. There is a huge difference between the two.

You forgot the "to the ground" bit. Mind you; depending on WHERE you drop it it may also fall to the moon, or sun. Please engage ALL the variables in the experiment!!

Greg

Please learn some basic science so you don't look foolish when you post.

Who said anything about dropping it near Earth?? I said NOTHING about being in orbit around the earth. Or is the earth the centre of the Universe in your scenario?? It is dumb analogies like that which show you really do have a "faith based" Science outlook...quite pre-Galileo!! It is like saying that you have FAITH IN NEWTON...only to have Einstein blow your faith out of the ballpark.

I don't know what the Theory of Evolution will look like in fifty years; I am sure those looking back in a century will be having a bit of a giggle.

Greg

In what way do you beleive that he does not or would not support science?

I don't know because he refused to tell us.

If this is all to do about how Walker would support science, perhaps the questions to him should be more policy oriented. For example, does he support NASA?

Or they could have asked him if he supports the most important scientific theory around. Oh wait, they did ask him.

That's like saying that I must have faith in the force of gravity. If I drop my pen, I know it will fall to the ground. My belief that it will is not faith-based. It is based on empirical evidence through experimentation, repeated ad nauseam. I can demonstrate it, make predictions about it, generate a mathematical theorem of how it works, and have you do the same and thereby, through peer review verify that my findings are valid. Got anything remotely resembling that with your creator? Sorry, you are mistaken.

If you drop it in space will it fall down? I have falsified it!! So your theory is incomplete!!!

Greg

If I drop it in space will it fall? Yes. Space ships orbiting the Earth are falling AROUND it. You should take a class. Zero gravity in Earth orbit is a misnomer. Objects in orbit do not have zero gravity. They are in free fall. There is a huge difference between the two.

You forgot the "to the ground" bit. Mind you; depending on WHERE you drop it it may also fall to the moon, or sun. Please engage ALL the variables in the experiment!!

Greg

Who said anything about dropping it near Earth?? I said NOTHING about being in orbit around the earth. Or is the earth the centre of the Universe in your scenario?? It is dumb analogies like that which show you really do have a "faith based" Science outlook...quite pre-Galileo!! It is like saying that you have FAITH IN NEWTON...only to have Einstein blow your faith out of the ballpark.

I don't know what the Theory of Evolution will look like in fifty years; I am sure those looking back in a century will be having a bit of a giggle.

Greg

If you drop a ball in space, it will move towards the closest body, even one that is the same size as the ball. Every body with mass exerts a gravitational pull. So you haven't falsified anything. And dufus, Einstein didn't refute or replace Newton. He built on what Newton had done. Without Newton's work, Einstein's work would not exist.

Not answering honestly.

He tweeted-
But he's wrong science says the bible does not prove a god exists. And there are many key stories in the bible that are scientifically impossible.

A scientific theory is when an idea graduates. No higher honor. Evolution is a fact.

Walker did not say that
He said that faith and science are compatible.

Which essentially means nothing.
Then it's a perfect political response to a question/issue which is irrelevant.

I'm just glad people are no longer proudly ignorant. Just a few years ago christians were proudly ignorant. Today they know to keep their irrational beliefs to themselves. So they punt. Pussies.

Not answering honestly.

He tweeted-

I mind that christians think non christians go to hell.

He tweeted-

Are you going to hell? Do you believe in hell? If you answer no to either, I'm not sure why you would care. It would be a neutral statement to you.

Are you going to hell? Do you believe in hell? If you answer no to either, I'm not sure why you would care. It would be a neutral statement to you.

You don't know why we would want to know if a person believes we're going to hell to burn for eternity?

Vote for me! I think you should go to jail. Not for eternity just the rest of your life. Not as bad as what Scott believes but you wouldn't vote for me why?

He tweeted-

If you don't believe it then why do you give a damn??

Greg

Greg

Greg

Greg

If you drop a ball in space, it will move towards the closest body, even one that is the same size as the ball. Every body with mass exerts a gravitational pull. So you haven't falsified anything. And dufus, Einstein didn't refute or replace Newton. He built on what Newton had done. Without Newton's work, Einstein's work would not exist.

Newton's theory is now replaced by Einstein's. That's a fact, jack!! But we still use Newtonian machanics because it's useful...within the error that takes into account Einstein's adjustments. Failing to admit that means you may as well accept the Earth is flat and held up in the Ether by four bloody elephants!!

You were WRONG wrt your statement about gravity. It does NOT always "drop" to the ground and I also point out that if you drop your pen overboard it does not fall to the ground; it falls to the sea-bed or may even get swallowed by a fish, whale etc etc. Your failure to acknowledge that every Scientific "fact" occurs only within the experimental parameters is a nonsense. Now THINK instead of bloviating!!

Greg

You don't know why we would want to know if a person believes we're going to hell to burn for eternity?

Vote for me! I think you should go to jail. Not for eternity just the rest of your life. Not as bad as what Scott believes but you wouldn't vote for me why?

Christians still love you!!

Greg

Greg

Greg

Newton's theory is now replaced by Einstein's. That's a fact, jack!! But we still use Newtonian machanics because it's useful...within the error that takes into account Einstein's adjustments. Failing to admit that means you may as well accept the Earth is flat and held up in the Ether by four bloody elephants!!

You were WRONG wrt your statement about gravity. It does NOT always "drop" to the ground and I also point out that if you drop your pen overboard it does not fall to the ground; it falls to the sea-bed or may even get swallowed by a fish, whale etc etc. Your failure to acknowledge that every Scientific "fact" occurs only within the experimental parameters is a nonsense. Now THINK instead of bloviating!!

Greg

What evidence does Scott have that his god exists? Don't you think it'd be on the table by now?

The fastest growing segment of the population is atheists. This question is going to become more and more important in the years to come. Religion is dying thank god. Lol

Greg

Greg

Nope. You are wrong. Read it and weep:

http://www.nattvakt.com/onlineenglish/harriman.htm

Newton’s laws have not been contradicted by any discoveries made since the publication of the Principia. Rather, all subsequent discoveries in physics have presupposed his theory and built on it (including Einstein's theories of relativity). His laws have been the rock-solid foundation for the work of every physicist of the past three centuries, and they continue to be applied today in countless ways. […] There are cases where his laws have been torn from the context in which they were discovered and applied to a realm far removed from anything he ever considered. The cases to pertain to bodies moving at near light-speed, which is about ten thousand times the speed of Earth in its orbit around the sun; or they pertain to subtle effects of very strong gravitational fields, none of which could be measured until more than a century after Newton; or they pertain to the behavior of subatomic particles, a realm that physicists did not begin to study until two centuries after Newton. ("Isaac Newton: Discoverer of Universal Laws", The Objective Standard, Vol. 3, No 1.)

Greg

Greg

Greg

Newton’s laws have not been contradicted by any discoveries made since the publication of the Principia. Rather, all subsequent discoveries in physics have presupposed his theory and built on it (including Einstein's theories of relativity). His laws have been the rock-solid foundation for the work of every physicist of the past three centuries, and they continue to be applied today in countless ways. […] There are cases where his laws have been torn from the context in which they were discovered and applied to a realm far removed from anything he ever considered. The cases pertain to bodies moving at near light-speed, which is about ten thousand times the speed of Earth in its orbit around the sun; or they pertain to subtle effects of very strong gravitational fields, none of which could be measured until more than a century after Newton; or they pertain to the behavior of subatomic particles, a realm that physicists did not begin to study until two centuries after Newton. ("Isaac Newton: Discoverer of Universal Laws", The Objective Standard, Vol. 3, No 1.)

If you believe I am wrong, show me the math. You should take that joke to the next IGU convention. I'm sure it will get a lot of laughs.

Greg[/QUOTE]

This thread is a perfect example of how Walker will have to answer tough questions like these at some time. If he doesn't he will lose favoribility, which I believe is destined to happen anyways just like Bush, and Kasich finds his way in.

Greg

Greg

Newton’s laws have not been contradicted by any discoveries made since the publication of the Principia. Rather, all subsequent discoveries in physics have presupposed his theory and built on it (including Einstein's theories of relativity). His laws have been the rock-solid foundation for the work of every physicist of the past three centuries, and they continue to be applied today in countless ways. […] There are cases where his laws have been torn from the context in which they were discovered and applied to a realm far removed from anything he ever considered. The cases to pertain to bodies moving at near light-speed, which is about ten thousand times the speed of Earth in its orbit around the sun; or they pertain to subtle effects of very strong gravitational fields, none of which could be measured until more than a century after Newton; or they pertain to the behavior of subatomic particles, a realm that physicists did not begin to study until two centuries after Newton. ("Isaac Newton: Discoverer of Universal Laws", The Objective Standard, Vol. 3, No 1.)

Greg

Greg

Greg

Newton’s laws have not been contradicted by any discoveries made since the publication of the Principia. Rather, all subsequent discoveries in physics have presupposed his theory and built on it (including Einstein's theories of relativity). His laws have been the rock-solid foundation for the work of every physicist of the past three centuries, and they continue to be applied today in countless ways. […] There are cases where his laws have been torn from the context in which they were discovered and applied to a realm far removed from anything he ever considered. The cases pertain to bodies moving at near light-speed, which is about ten thousand times the speed of Earth in its orbit around the sun; or they pertain to subtle effects of very strong gravitational fields, none of which could be measured until more than a century after Newton; or they pertain to the behavior of subatomic particles, a realm that physicists did not begin to study until two centuries after Newton. ("Isaac Newton: Discoverer of Universal Laws", The Objective Standard, Vol. 3, No 1.)

If you believe I am wrong, show me the math. You should take that joke to the next IGU convention. I'm sure it will get a lot of laughs.

Greg
[/QUOTE]

"The solutions indicated that, on either of the two annual equinoxes, there will be two places on the Earth's surface where the force cancellation occurs. For example, on the equinox of 22 September 2008, one will be in the far north of Greenland and the other will be on the opposite side of the world in Antarctica (see figure: "X marks the spot"). Ignatiev says that if a gravitational wave detector is set-up to monitor a static test object at one of these times and places, it might just be able to glimpse a tiny, 0.2 × 10-16 m deflection over a period of 0.5 ms – what he calls "SHLEM" (static high-latitude equinox modified inertia). If SHLEM is observed, it would be the first evidence in support of MOND."

Experiment sets the ultimate test for Newton s laws - physicsworld.com

The paper in question is here

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0612159v2.pdf

Us amateurs have a lot of fun. Maybe you shouldn't take your self proclaimed superiority too seriously!!! I don't.

Greg

Forum List

Back