SCOTUS: "God save the United States and this Honorable Court!"

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

^Pretty much the Document that kicked the entire notherfucker off...

:)

peace...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness...

What if you don't Believe in a Creator?...

peace...

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Interesting...

I'm thinking the Founders wanted NO Reference to God at all and it started with the Declaration...

peace...

The hypocrisy is stunning. The white house and congress celebrate Christmas with a gigantic tree on public property but a little town anywhere in the Country would be subject to a law suit by the ACLU for doing the same thing. Congress has a chaplain but a kid would be subject to arrest and expulsion for organizing a Bible study in school. The president and the Supremes as well as members of congress freely say "God bless America" but a school teacher is liable to be fired for saying the same thing.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Interesting...

I'm thinking the Founders wanted NO Reference to God at all and it started with the Declaration...

peace...

Jefferson, of course, wrote the Declaration, subject to much editing, and Jefferson was a Deist, he believed God created us but then left and we were on our own. The real question is how much of the Declaration went into the Constitution, and an even larger question is how much of the Declaration is believed today and in practice?

Well, if there is no god and you can't mention a nonexistent god in government, then there is no way any god who does not exist created everyone equal like the documents say! Of course, people will take that money with the 'eye of Horus' the Egyptian god on it without complaint every chance they get.

This thread is clear indication that people are not equal. And in what ways they are not equal.

Last edited:
Money also says, "In God we Trust"

anatomy-2-s.JPG

Belief in God is steeped everywhere in our Government.

I am not religious but it doesn't really bother me because I do believe in the possibility of God.

I think it really bothers atheists but I am not sure why. :dunno:

There is no big sign in the Government that says "No Gods allowed," but just how far do people get to go with this stuff?

I don't have problems with people using it in speech, but prayer?

I don't know, why does prayer bother atheists if they don't believe in it?

The one thing I could see problematic is that if you are going to allow prayer, then there should be representation of all religions and prayers.

But the idea of prayer in itself in government doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:
How can the Supreme Court do this:

"When the Court is in session, the 10 a.m. entrance of the Justices into the Courtroom is announced by the Marshal. Those present, at the sound of the gavel, arise and remain standing until the robed Justices are seated following the traditional chant: "The Honorable, the Chief Justice and the Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States. Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All persons having business before the Honorable, the Supreme Court of the United States, are admonished to draw near and give their attention, for the Court is now sitting. God save the United States and this Honorable Court!"

The Court and Its Procedures - Supreme Court of the United States

And then Debate this?:

Colorful questions, but few easy answers, as court wrestles with prayer - U.S. News

The 10 Commandments are Repeatedly displayed around the Court.

But why stop at the Court... What about the other Branches of Gubmn't?...

gty_obama_lincoln_bible_dm_130110_wblog.jpg

^What Book is that that Barry has his hand on as he takes the Oath of Office?... Does it say Jesus in it anywhere?...

How many Federal Oaths have this in them: "So help me God."?

Let's move over to the Republican Branch. ;)

The Office of the Chaplain, United States House of Representatives

"Opening Prayer
10/30/2013
Reverend Patrick J. Conroy, S.J.
Eternal God, we give You thanks for giving us another day.

Once again, we come to ask wisdom, patience, peace, and understanding for the Members of this people's House.

On this day, we ask Your blessing on the men and women, citizens all, whose votes have populated this people's House. Each Member of this House has been given the sacred duty of representing them.

Today, we mourn the loss of former Congressman Ike Skelton, a true public servant and staunch supporter of our military. May he and his family find solace and peace at this time. Bring each of us, at last, to that place where our hearts will rest in You.

Bless us this day and every day, and may all that is done within the people's House this day be for Your greater honor and glory.

Amen."

Or maybe the Senate?...

U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Senate Organization > Chaplain's Office

^According to that, there is "no Separation of God and State'... That's the US Senate. :thup:

Did you know that the Chaplain of the Senate makes over $150,000 a year and has a Staff?...

True Story.

I would Hope that the Despotic Branch is taking the Facts and the History into Account as they Decide.

peace...

anatomy-2-s.JPG

I am not religious but it doesn't really bother me because I do believe in the possibility of God.

It also has the all seeing eye of Horus, an Egyptian god, above the unfinished pyramid. I've never heard anyone complain about that.

How can the Supreme Court do this:

"When the Court is in session, the 10 a.m. entrance of the Justices into the Courtroom is announced by the Marshal. Those present, at the sound of the gavel, arise and remain standing until the robed Justices are seated following the traditional chant: "The Honorable, the Chief Justice and the Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States. Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All persons having business before the Honorable, the Supreme Court of the United States, are admonished to draw near and give their attention, for the Court is now sitting. God save the United States and this Honorable Court!"

The Court and Its Procedures - Supreme Court of the United States

And then Debate this?:

Colorful questions, but few easy answers, as court wrestles with prayer - U.S. News

The 10 Commandments are Repeatedly displayed around the Court.

But why stop at the Court... What about the other Branches of Gubmn't?...

gty_obama_lincoln_bible_dm_130110_wblog.jpg

^What Book is that that Barry has his hand on as he takes the Oath of Office?... Does it say Jesus in it anywhere?...

How many Federal Oaths have this in them: "So help me God."?

Let's move over to the Republican Branch. ;)

The Office of the Chaplain, United States House of Representatives

"Opening Prayer
10/30/2013
Reverend Patrick J. Conroy, S.J.
Eternal God, we give You thanks for giving us another day.

Once again, we come to ask wisdom, patience, peace, and understanding for the Members of this people's House.

On this day, we ask Your blessing on the men and women, citizens all, whose votes have populated this people's House. Each Member of this House has been given the sacred duty of representing them.

Today, we mourn the loss of former Congressman Ike Skelton, a true public servant and staunch supporter of our military. May he and his family find solace and peace at this time. Bring each of us, at last, to that place where our hearts will rest in You.

Bless us this day and every day, and may all that is done within the people's House this day be for Your greater honor and glory.

Amen."

Or maybe the Senate?...

U.S. Senate: Reference Home > Senate Organization > Chaplain's Office

^According to that, there is "no Separation of God and State'... That's the US Senate. :thup:

Did you know that the Chaplain of the Senate makes over $150,000 a year and has a Staff?...

True Story.

I would Hope that the Despotic Branch is taking the Facts and the History into Account as they Decide.

peace...

anatomy-2-s.JPG

It also has the all seeing eye of Horus, an Egyptian god, above the unfinished pyramid. I've never heard anyone complain about that.

That's a good point and it doesn't bother me either. :cool:

No way should prayer be forced on anyone - especially in a meating for the goverment.

Why is that such a dificult concept to understand?

Whose forcing anyone to pray?

If some guy says a prayer before a town meeting in Greece, NY, then EVERYONE is being forced to pray!

And accept that religion.

Or else.

At gunpoint.

This is why the Founders and the Framers wisely built a high wall of separation 'tween church and state.

Oh wait. That's not exactly what they did.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . .

Forum List

Back