Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

“The Republicans believe in the minimum wage — the more the minimum, the better.” - Harry Truman

Going to wait and see on this minimum wage rise, usually they are most effective when the workforce is gradually becoming more educated and finding high paid work, or there is a low unemployment rate i.e. inflation hurts consumers if business revenues decline, causing them to panic raise prices and sack staff- but if there is plenty of competition and big increases in profits, then some companies will lose out against their competitors that didn't raise prices and sack staff.

In completely related news, the unemployment rate in the Seattle areas affected just went up.

Your an idiot. :cuckoo: Increasing minimum wage increases jobs & lowers unemployment rates. Seattle has the highest minimum wage in the country, yet their unemployment rate is only 4.4% which is lower than their surrounding cities, their state, surrounding states & lower than the state of Texas that has low wages & the benefits of an oil boom.

Last edited:
I wonder if this will cause a lot of low paid workers to move to Seattle.
They will likely find Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Magical Unicorns to make them all wealthy.

And with all this new found $15 per hour labor, I'm sure WalMart, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Target, Subway, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Dollar General and every other low cost provider of goods and services will be frantically opening new locations. to jump on the bandwagon.

I wonder if this will cause a lot of low paid workers to move to Seattle.
They will likely find Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Magical Unicorns to make them all wealthy.

And with all this new found $15 per hour labor, I'm sure WalMart, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Target, Subway, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Dollar General and every other low cost provider of goods and services will be frantically opening new locations. to jump on the bandwagon.

or move out of the city limits

Martina Phelps says the Seattle City Council's historic vote Monday to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour could change her life.

Phelps, 22, earns $9.47 per hour working for a McDonald's restaurant near downtown. She wants to move out of her mother's South Seattle home, and she wants to go back to school. She says those things could happen now that the city will have the nation's highest minimum wage.

"It's hard right now," she told USA TODAY hours before the midafternoon vote. "I have been trying to save up for school, but I just can't do it. This would mean a lot."

The council unanimously approved the measure before a packed house.

The plan, which includes a lower training wage aimed at teenagers, will phase in the higher, local minimum over three to seven years, depending on the size of the business and benefits they provide employees. Next April 1, when the plan takes effect, every worker will get at least a $1-an-hour raise.

Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

Awesome news. :)

Forum List

Back