Senate pulls trigger on nuclear option, clearing way for Gorsuch confirmation

The senate just fired the fatal shot that will end any semblance of sanity in Washington. Let the games begin.
Disagreed it's a fatal shot or that it will result in insanity, but I strongly believe the RNC will come to regret this action when the DNC shoves it up their ass at some point in the future. The Pendulum swings both ways.
the GOP would be stupid not to use it since Harry released it.

The senate just fired the fatal shot that will end any semblance of sanity in Washington. Let the games begin.

That shot was fired 8 years ago when O rammed healthcare down our throats. Reid continued it and set precedent by nuking lower appt justices. Now, dems are reaping the repercussions on such horrid moves and incompetent policy. Aside from that, both parties are despicable.
O no you don't, no blaming the Dems for this more than the Repubs.
it all started with the dems. why does that anger you so? why not vote in different people? why do you all like the same ole same ole? losers.
When did the Dems ever use the Nuclear Option?
it was voted in by Harry Reid.

Reid, Democrats trigger ‘nuclear’ option; Senate eliminates most nominee filibusters in party-line vote

"Senate Democrats took the dramatic step Thursday of eliminating filibusters for most nominations by presidents, a power play they said was necessary to fix a broken system but one that Republicans said will only rupture it further.

Democrats used a rare parliamentary move to change the rules so that federal judicial nominees and executive-office appointments can advance to confirmation votes by a simple majority of senators, rather than the 60-vote supermajority that has been the standard for nearly four decades"

6iNK289.png

Awesome. President Trump has a lot of work to do to make America great again, and obstructionist communists will just slow that down. :)
I predict that the Republicans will regret crossing that line when the Democrats gain control in 2-8 years. Nothing lasts forever and, as we've often seen in Washington DC, they love to play "tit-for-tat".

Sure, there's the possibility, but Trump has the opportunity to potentially appointed 1-3 SCOTUS Justices during his term and possibly even more. If there was ever a time to pull a move like this, it would be now.

We told you this was going to happen....but the Dems had to play their games.
And Garland never even getting a hearing for over 400 days wasn't game playing with an unprecedented tactic to hold that SCOTUS spot position open. Don't piss and moan later down the road if karma jumps up and bites the GOP's collective ASS!
In case you haven't fully realized what just happened here let me put you closer to the edge.

What happened today means Trump can get any justice he wants right up to his last day in office as long as we have 51 senators. Which we will. Ginsberg now has to live past Jan 18th, 2021.

How do you like us now?
There's a lot of big "IFs" in that statement. IF Trump is President, IF the Republicans maintain a 51 or better majority. Let's not forget that all Senators face reelection at home. Depending on their tenure, reelection dates and strength at home, not all Republican Senators may vote for Trump's picks.

As it is, I like Gorsuch. The Democrats were just being Democrats in fighting him and I think the Republicans made a mistake in not sucking it up without using the Nuclear Option. Now that the line has been crossed, we'll never again see it remain uncrossed.

That shot was fired 8 years ago when O rammed healthcare down our throats. Reid continued it and set precedent by nuking lower appt justices. Now, dems are reaping the repercussions on such horrid moves and incompetent policy. Aside from that, both parties are despicable.
O no you don't, no blaming the Dems for this more than the Repubs.
it all started with the dems. why does that anger you so? why not vote in different people? why do you all like the same ole same ole? losers.
When did the Dems ever use the Nuclear Option?

Reid, Democrats trigger ‘nuclear’ option; Senate eliminates most nominee filibusters in party-line vote

"Senate Democrats took the dramatic step Thursday of eliminating filibusters for most nominations by presidents, a power play they said was necessary to fix a broken system but one that Republicans said will only rupture it further.

Democrats used a rare parliamentary move to change the rules so that federal judicial nominees and executive-office appointments can advance to confirmation votes by a simple majority of senators, rather than the 60-vote supermajority that has been the standard for nearly four decades"
Thanks! I stand corrected; the Democrats crossed the line first and now we'll never see a party not pass up a chance to use it.

6iNK289.png

Awesome. President Trump has a lot of work to do to make America great again, and obstructionist communists will just slow that down. :)
I predict that the Republicans will regret crossing that line when the Democrats gain control in 2-8 years. Nothing lasts forever and, as we've often seen in Washington DC, they love to play "tit-for-tat".

Sure, there's the possibility, but Trump has the opportunity to potentially appointed 1-3 SCOTUS Justices during his term and possibly even more. If there was ever a time to pull a move like this, it would be now.
True, but let's not forget the Finicky American voters. By the same logic, the Democrats have the "opportunity to potentially" have a big win in Congress in 2018, the WH in 2020 plus a stronger Democrat Congress.

How many seats are up for reelection in 2018?

Disagreed it's a fatal shot or that it will result in insanity, but I strongly believe the RNC will come to regret this action when the DNC shoves it up their ass at some point in the future. The Pendulum swings both ways.
the GOP would be stupid not to use it since Harry released it.
Agreed. Thanks again for correcting my understanding of the facts.

As it is, I like Gorsuch. The Democrats were just being Democrats in fighting him and I think the Republicans made a mistake in not sucking it up without using the Nuclear Option. Now that the line has been crossed, we'll never again see it remain uncrossed.

Actually, Gorsuch was the first and only Supreme Court nominee ever to be filibustered.

If the Republicans had "sucked it up", what hardcore conservative could President Trump have nominated and been confirmed without getting rid of the filibuster?

And suppose in 2024, Mrs. Clinton succeeds President Trump, don't you think the Dems would do the same thing? VP Candidate Kaine said they planned to exactly that if they took the senate and presidency last year

6iNK289.png

True, but let's not forget the Finicky American voters. By the same logic, the Democrats have the "opportunity to potentially" have a big win in Congress in 2018, the WH in 2020 plus a stronger Democrat Congress.

Agreed. There is definitely the potential for backlash, and I fully expect CNN and MSNBC to try to turn this into a huge scandal and air it 24/7. We'll just have to see if the voters fall for it come midterm elections time and in 2020.

Actually, Gorsuch was the first and only Supreme Court nominee ever to be filibustered.

If the Republicans had "sucked it up", what hardcore conservative could President Trump have nominated and been confirmed without getting rid of the filibuster?

And suppose in 2024, Mrs. Clinton succeeds President Trump, don't you think the Dems would do the same thing? VP Candidate Kaine said they planned to exactly that if they took the senate and presidency last year
There's other facts on it:

Ha Ha Dem's lose again I love it.

As soon as Gorsuch is confirmed my vote for Trump pays off.
You voted for the pussy grabber? What am I asking that for? Of course you did. If he was alive and running for president, you would have voted for Ted Bundy, just because he was a Republican --- a Republican party worker and delegate to be precise --- you partisan hack.

6iNK289.png

Agreed. There is definitely the potential for backlash, and I fully expect CNN and MSNBC to try to turn this into a huge scandal and air it 24/7. We'll just have to see if the voters fall for it come midterm elections time and in 2020.
Don't forget Fox! After all, all of them are in the business of selling infotainment. Controversy sells best.

The voters vote like they do every election; for what they think is best. The past several elections have been very close and swing mostly based on the mood of the country. In 2016, Hillary was selling "more of the same" just as McCain did in 2008. Both times Americans voted their frustration in going down the same wrong-headed path.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Direction of Country
RCP POLL AVERAGE
Direction of Country
36.6 Right Direction
54.6 Wrong Track

6iNK289.png

In reality I think they just cleared the way for Democrats to pick nominees without issues in the future.--LOL

Niel Gorsuch is someone Democrats like, and have voted for in the past. It's not that they had any issues with him, it's just that they were upset that Merrick Garland didn't get a vote and that is what all the uproar is about.

Democrats know now when they take over-- which they will in 2020--there will be no blocking of any of their nominees in the future. Democrats can look at Republicans and honestly say--"Well it was them that changed the law."

Republicans played right into their hands.

C3iqmpaWQAEPvHP.jpg

These are the Democrats that voted for Niel Gorsuch in 2006. They could have easily rejected Gorsuch because in 2006 they owned the Senate. Gosuch was a G.W. Bush appointee to the Federal District court.
Here Are the Democrats Who Voted for Neil Gorsuch as a Circuit Court Judge in 2006

Furthermore--Trump promised another Scalia--which they didn't get. Niel Gorsuch is the first nominee to my memory that has stated Roe V Wade is set in stone, and is precedent in the Constitution.
Gorsuch to Feinstein: Abortion ruling is 'precedent'

The irony is many people voted for Trump, just because they were scared to death who Hillary Clinton would have nominated--and you'll note that she voted for Gorsuch, along with Obama who went to law school with Gorsuch and bunch of other Democrats--LOL In fact, Gorsuch could have easily been Hillary Clinton's pick.

Democrats are certain to take over the Senate in 2018--so they will be controlling this process until 2020, and then they'll have a free run at the court.

trump-secures-gop-nomination-cartoon-morin_pivot.jpg

Last edited:
6iNK289.png

In reality I think they just cleared the way for Democrats to pick nominees without issues in the future.--LOL

Niel Gorsuch is someone they like, and have voted for in the past. It's not that they had any issues with him, it's just that they were upset that Merick Garland didn't get a vote and that is what all the uproar is about.

Democrats know now when they take over-- which they will in 2020--there will be no blocking of any of their nominees in the future. And Democrats can look at Republicans and honestly say--"Well it was them that changed the law."

Republicans played right into their hands.

C3iqmpaWQAEPvHP.jpg

These are the Democrats that voted for Niel Gorsuch in 2006. They could have easily rejected Gorsuch because in 2006 they owned the Senate. Gosuch was a G.W. Bush appointee to the Federal District court.
Here Are the Democrats Who Voted for Neil Gorsuch as a Circuit Court Judge in 2006

Furthermore--Trump promised another Scalia--which they didn't get. Niel Gorsuch is the first nominee to my memory that has stated Roe V Wade is set in stone, and is precedent in the Constitution.
Gorsuch to Feinstein: Abortion ruling is 'precedent'

Many people voted for Trump, because they were scared to death who Hillary Clinton would have nominated--and you'll note that she voted for Gorsuch, along with Obama who went to law school with Gorsuch and bunch of other Democrats--LOL In fact, Gorsuch could have easily been Hillary Clinton's pick.

trump-secures-gop-nomination-cartoon-morin_pivot.jpg
What's done is done.

Media praised the ‘nuclear option’ when Democrats did it
MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow assured her viewers at the time that “judges can be blocked on an up or down vote, a majority vote, like always.”

“But they cannot be blocked anymore by just a minority of votes,” Ms. Maddow said, reported the Media Research Center’s NewsBusters. “Republicans cannot force that anymore.”

MSNBC anchor Chris Hayes similarly hailed the 2013 development as “an affirmative win for democracy,” while his colleague Al Sharpton said “Democrats took the bold step of changing Senate rules, scaling back the filibuster that Republicans have unfairly used to block the president’s nominees.”

Rammed healthcare? It was debated for nearly a year. Ryan had 7 years to write a replacement & he tried to ram it through in weeks & failed miserably.

Debated? Are you kidding me? No it wasn't. Yes, the R's failed miserably after obamacare when they voted to repeal the worthless law 60 times when the vote didnt matter. Then, Ryan trots out the same crap. Yeah, they're all worthless.
The Democrats talked about this in committees & on the floor for months & months. Great effort was made to get Republicans on board. Boehner chastised any Republicans who were helping the Democrats.

Forum List

Back