Separation of church and state makes him want to throw up

i just heard that some jews want to put some jewish symbols on the legislative buildings in DC. anybody got a problem with that?

Yes. Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Zoroastrianist, Shinto...whatever. Religious symbols should not be permanently displayed on government buildings. They are not religious institutes.

My understanding is that Moses is very prominently displayed both inside and outside of the Supreme Court and permanently as well.

Since I suspect that CITM mentioned this in a way to show Christian hypocrisy, I won't bother to really answer it as if it were going to happen, but I will say that I would not have a problem with it so long as it was done in good taste.

Immie

Last edited:
My understanding is that Moses is very prominently displayed both inside and outside of the Supreme Court and permanenly as well.

Since I suspect that CITM mentioned this in a way to show Christian hypocrisy, I won't bother to really answer it as if it were going to happen, but I will say that I would not have a problem with it so long as it was done in good taste.

Immie

Yeah I am aware that such religious displays do exist. I mean it's not an issue that I get worked up in a froth over, but if someone bothers to ask my opinion I will give it. Sometimes it can be difficult as well because in some instances we may be dealing with fine artwork that I would hate to see removed simply because it has religious connotations. And yes my guess is that CITM was hoping to expose the hypocrites as well.

My understanding is that Moses is very prominently displayed both inside and outside of the Supreme Court and permanenly as well.

Immie

Yeah I am aware that such religious displays do exist. I mean it's not an issue that I get worked up in a froth over, but if someone bothers to ask my opinion I will give it. Sometimes it can be difficult as well because in some instances we may be dealing with fine artwork that I would hate to see removed simply because it has religious connotations. And yes my guess is that CITM was hoping to expose the hypocrites as well.

It is our duty to alert the hypocrites before they step in it. :lol:

Immie

Immie

It is our duty to alert the hypocrites before they step in it. :lol:

Immie

Testify! :lol:

No links? No legislation?

Stand by for vicious private message!!!

what do you think "personhood laws" are, hon?

they sure aren't secular.

how about efforts to take away reproductive choice and torture women with unnecessary medical procedures if they choose to exercise their rights?

Where has anyone suggested taking away reproductive rights?
this is what personhood laws are going to do. if a law passes that a fertilized egg is actually a person under the law, this makes most all forms of birth control illegal. since the pill does not stop an egg from being fertilized, it stops it from adhering to the uterus wall. thus if a state passes personhood law, using the Pill would be considered murder and punishable as such. unless the murder laws were changed to take this into account. but the this is exactly what the pro life crowd wants. this is in effect an effort to get around Roe v. Wade without actually repealing it.

how about efforts to take away reproductive choice and torture women with unnecessary medical procedures if they choose to exercise their rights?

this is what personhood laws are going to do. if a law passes that a fertilized egg is actually a person under the law, this makes most all forms of birth control illegal. since the pill does not stop an egg from being fertilized, it stops it from adhering to the uterus wall. thus if a state passes personhood law, using the Pill would be considered murder and punishable as such. unless the murder laws were changed to take this into account. but the this is exactly what the pro life crowd wants. this is in effect an effort to get around Roe v. Wade without actually repealing it.

Do you have anything to prove what you say the pro-life crowd wants or are you just presuming to speak for us?

I can't think of any other reasons, myself, but I am not a strategy planner either.

I'd really like to see the solid evidence you seem to have.

Immie

No, it will only make the forms of "birth control" that involve killing a baby illegal. The form of "birth control" that requires an actual birth...and murder.

It won't make condoms illegal, or birth control pills, or depo provera, or diaphrams, or any of the multitudes of actual contraceptives that are available illegal.

It will just make that form of "birth control" that is actually "abortion" illegal.

Do you have anything to prove what you say the pro-life crowd wants or are you just presuming to speak for us?

I can't think of any other reasons, myself, but I am not a strategy planner either.

Immie
look at how the personhood law that didnt pass in Mississippi was written.
Mississippi voting on 'personhood' amendment - CNN

Initiative 26 would define personhood as "every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof.

Because the amendment would define a fertilized egg as a person with full legal rights, it could have an impact on a woman's ability to get the morning-after pill or birth control pills that destroy fertilized eggs.

It could make in vitro fertilization treatments more difficult because it could become illegal to dispose of unused fertilized eggs. This could lead to a nationwide debate about women's rights and abortion while setting up a possible challenge to the landmark Roe v. Wade case, which makes abortion legal.
The ballot initiative is part of a national campaign brought by Personhood USA. The Colorado-based group describes itself as a nonprofit Christian ministry that "serves the pro-life community by assisting local groups to initiate citizen, legislative, and political action focusing on the ultimate goal of the pro-life movement: personhood rights for all innocent humans."

Clergy and church officials in the heavily religious state are split on the issue. Some anti-abortion religious groups say they think this step may be so extreme, it could lead to a Supreme Court ruling that actually strengthens Roe v. Wade.

Last edited:

Well I highly doubt the pro-life lobby wants people to be tried for murder for using the pill. That might be a little much, but yes you are correct that it's an attempt to reverse the effect of Roe v. Wade. Then again, that's what you would expect right? I mean they are pro-life and so that's their stated goal and they are perfectly entitled to try.

Anyhow, the problem comes down to the Lemon Test I mentioned before and the definition of a "living human organism". Remember that according to the Lemon test established in Lemon v. Kurtzman you must provide a secular argument for the courts to take action. At roughly 6-8 weeks that's easy enough to do. You have brain activity and a heartbeat and so a convincing secular argument can be made that it's "alive". The problem is that prior to that what you have (from a strictly scientific perspective) is a mass of cells that could potentially develop into a human life.

The pro-choice lobby argues that at that point it's really no different from a tumor or a wart. As distasteful as I find that comparison, speaking strictly from a scientific standpoint, the courts have found that argument to be convincing. So the argument that it's "a living human organism" prior to that 6-8 week time frame is really more of a religious or moral argument and those must be ignored according to the Lemon Test. Speaking from a legal perspective until someone can make a secular argument that it is "alive" prior to that, then the courts really have their hands tied because banning it would violate the 1st, 4th, and 14th Amendments...at least that's what they have determined.

So by defining "life" as "beginning at conception" you get around that problem of when it is "alive". The problem is I don't know if it will pass constitutional muster. My guess is that the Supreme Court will say essentially "you can't define an apple as an orange" and without a secular argument it aint gonna fly...but we'll see. It's an interesting strategy nonetheless but I highly doubt it will be upheld by the SCOTUS if it ever gets there....and of course Virginia shot it down anyhow so the way things stand right now it won't get to them any time soon.

Last edited:

Immie

Initiative 26 would define personhood as "every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning or the functional equivalent thereof.

Because the amendment would define a fertilized egg as a person with full legal rights, it could have an impact on a woman's ability to get the morning-after pill or birth control pills that destroy fertilized eggs.

It could make in vitro fertilization treatments more difficult because it could become illegal to dispose of unused fertilized eggs. This could lead to a nationwide debate about women's rights and abortion while setting up a possible challenge to the landmark Roe v. Wade case, which makes abortion legal.
The ballot initiative is part of a national campaign brought by Personhood USA. The Colorado-based group describes itself as a nonprofit Christian ministry that "serves the pro-life community by assisting local groups to initiate citizen, legislative, and political action focusing on the ultimate goal of the pro-life movement: personhood rights for all innocent humans."

Clergy and church officials in the heavily religious state are split on the issue. Some anti-abortion religious groups say they think this step may be so extreme, it could lead to a Supreme Court ruling that actually strengthens Roe v. Wade.

I don't see anything in your link that speaks as to what the reasons of the pro-life movement are. CNN by no means speaks for the pro-life movement, that is for sure. Will you next be telling us that the Alan Guttmacher Institute speaks for the pro-life movement? How about NOW? Emily's List? NARAL Pro-Choice America?

Immie

I'm still waiting to hear what "most all forms of birth control" will be illegal....

What spew.

Immie

I don't see anything in your link that speaks as to what the reasons of the pro-life movement are. CNN by no means speaks for the pro-life movement, that is for sure. Will you next be telling us that the Alan Guttmacher Institute speaks for the pro-life movement? How about NOW? Emily's List? NARAL Pro-Choice America?

Immie
this is from Personhood USA:

About Us | Personhood USA

Personhood USA desires to glorify Jesus Christ in a way that creates a culture of life so that all innocent human lives are protected by love and by law.

Personhood USA serves the pro-life community by assisting local groups to initiate citizen, legislative, and political action focusing on the ultimate goal of the pro-life movement: personhood rights for all innocent humans. We intend to build the support of at least two thirds of the states in an effort to reaffirm personhood within the U.S. Constitution.

I'm still waiting to hear what "most all forms of birth control" will be illegal....

What spew.

did you not see this post?

What spew.

did you not see this post?

Syphon is correct here. Any form of birth control that destroys a fertilized egg will be out the window. At the moment of conception it would be considered a "living human organism" with full rights under the United States Constitution. So for example, rubbers would be ok but an IUD would be out.

Immie

This is what you claimed the pro-life movement wants:

Emphasis added.

I don't see anything that backs up your statements in the About Us for Personhood USA.

Here is something they encourage people to do:

Moving churches and the culture to make the dehumanization and murdering of preborn children unthinkable.

Do you really find the idea of changing the hearts and minds of people in a non-violent manner:

Personhood USA opposes vigilante violence.

as reprehensible as it seems you do? I actually think it is a commendable goal.

Oh and by the way, Personhood USA doesn't speak for the pro-life movement either, only themselves.

Immie

Rick Santorum on Sunday took on of separation of church and state.

As opposed to jobs and the economy – one of the many reasons why Obama will be reelected.

Fortunately no one cares what Santorum thinks, and it’s not his call to make. Only the Supreme Court has the authority to interpret the Constitution, and determine the Framers’ intent.

The case law is clear and settled: the Framers indeed intended to establish a wall of separation between church and State.

Santorum’s desire to violate the Constitution and the Framers’ intent is obviously predicated on the authoritarian nature of conservatism, where all must conform and diversity must be punished, particularly with regard to matters of religion.

It’s right here:

There’s also no mention of an individual right to own a handgun in the Second Amendment, but I don’t hear you or others on the right complaining about that.

Remember that the Constitution exist only in the context of its case law.

Incorrect. See: Illinois ex rel. McCollum v. Board of Education of School District

The Supreme Court doesn't have that authority.

Incorrect. See: Marbury v. Madison

Dude ... you aren't giving any links to statements in the constitution, just more examples of the court doing things they don't have the power to do.
One for the road:

Abington School District v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203 (1963)

Immie

Emphasis added.

I don't see anything that backs up your statements in the About Us for Personhood USA.

Moving churches and the culture to make the dehumanization and murdering of preborn children unthinkable.

Do you really find the idea of changing the hearts and minds of people in a non-violent manner:

Oh and by the way, Personhood USA doesn't speak for the pro-life movement either, only themselves.

Immie
apparently reasoning and reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.

"Personhood USA serves the pro-life community"

"Personhood is a movement working to respect the God-given right to life by recognizing all human beings as persons who are “created in the image of God” from the beginning of their biological development, without exceptions."
"Personhood USA desires to glorify Jesus Christ in a way that creates a culture of life so that all innocent human lives are protected by love and by law.
Personhood USA serves the pro-life community by assisting local groups to initiate citizen, legislative, and political action focusing on the ultimate goal of the pro-life movement: personhood rights for all innocent humans.
We intend to build the support of at least two thirds of the states in an effort to reaffirm personhood within the U.S. Constitution."

now tell us all what birth control (i.e. the pill of plan b) does............... it either destroys a fertilized egg............ or it prevents a fertilized egg from attaching the to uterus wall................... if life is defined (as personhood usa wants a constitutional ammendment stating so) as at the moment of conception. using the pill or plan b is then considered murder and a women using said birth control could be charged as such.

learn to think for yourself for once.

Last edited:

Emphasis added.

Immie
apparently reasoning and reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.

"Personhood USA serves the pro-life community"

"Personhood is a movement working to respect the God-given right to life by recognizing all human beings as persons who are “created in the image of God” from the beginning of their biological development, without exceptions."
"Personhood USA desires to glorify Jesus Christ in a way that creates a culture of life so that all innocent human lives are protected by love and by law.
Personhood USA serves the pro-life community by assisting local groups to initiate citizen, legislative, and political action focusing on the ultimate goal of the pro-life movement: personhood rights for all innocent humans.
We intend to build the support of at least two thirds of the states in an effort to reaffirm personhood within the U.S. Constitution."

now tell us all what birth control (i.e. the pill of plan b) does............... it either destroys a fertilized egg............ or it prevents a fertilized egg from attaching the to uterus wall................... if life is defined (as personhood usa wants a constitutional ammendment stating so) as at the moment of conception. using the pill or plan b is then considered murder and a women using said birth control could be charged as such.

Apparently you believe you have the right to define your opponent's beliefs and arguments.

How can anyone argue against your fallacious arguments when you decide what they think?

Immie

Last edited:

Technically this is correct but what will happen is that those forms of birth control will simply become illegal. I think people being charged with murder...while certainly possible...is not their goal. They will deal with that by simply banning certain forms of birth control that interfere with or destroy a fertilized egg. Of course people may face legal prosecution for having and/or using those products but I doubt anyone will be charged with murder for taking the pill.

Forum List

Back