Sheriff rejects popcorn killer’s ‘stand your ground’ defense: ‘Why didn’t he move sea

Imagine killing a man over a text message. Move seats next time, for Gods sake.

Imagine attacking an elderly man instead of just being respectful in the movies of others.

We do know the popcorn thrower was wrong no matter the provocation.
We also know cell phones were not allowed.
Guns were not allowed.
The movie hadn't even started.
Theater was almost empty-lots of other seats.
Law enforcement says stand your ground doesn't apply.
Somebody got mad and killed somebody. Period

P.S. Sounds like street justice - "Respect me or Die"

Imagine killing a man over a text message. Move seats next time, for Gods sake.

Imagine attacking an elderly man instead of just being respectful in the movies of others.

We do know the popcorn thrower was wrong no matter the provocation.
We also know cell phones were not allowed.
Guns were not allowed.
The movie hadn't even started.
Theater was almost empty-lots of other seats.
Law enforcement says stand your ground doesn't apply.
Somebody got mad and killed somebody. Period

P.S. Sounds like street justice - "Respect me or Die"

Should be a lot of charges for the gun carrying loser, then.

Not SYG
Justified Lethal force to stop the forcible felony of aggravated battery on elderly

Last edited:
let's see if that's applicable.
it is definitely NOT a stand your ground situation.

even if you are being attacked by popcorn at 71 that is NOT going to fly as the reason for stand your ground.

This will go as a manslaughter conviction.

I know it wouldn't be worth hearing--but what sort of explanation might this individual have for using deadly force because of tweeting?

I asked him to stop. He didn't.

I went to movie management. He didn't stop.

When I came back he started aggressively berating and intimidating me.

Then he came at me throwing something aggressively. It was dark I didn't know what he had.

In the dark and as 73 year old man, with health issues alone in the theatre I felt I was in danger of being injured by this irate individual who projected force at me. As a former law enforcement officer I have witnessed the effects of aggression toward the elderly and physical assaults.

I did what I needed to cease his aggression.

Then the widow walks in the courtroom with the 2-year-old baby girl that will never meet her father.

GUILTY!!

I know it wouldn't be worth hearing--but what sort of explanation might this individual have for using deadly force because of tweeting?

I asked him to stop. He didn't.

I went to movie management. He didn't stop.

When I came back he started aggressively berating and intimidating me.

Then he came at me throwing something aggressively. It was dark I didn't know what he had.

In the dark and as 73 year old man, with health issues alone in the theatre I felt I was in danger of being injured by this irate individual who projected force at me. As a former law enforcement officer I have witnessed the effects of aggression toward the elderly and physical assaults.

I did what I needed to cease his aggression.

Then the widow walks in the courtroom with the 2-year-old baby girl that will never meet her father.

GUILTY!!

if you don't have the rule of law emotions won't do it. See Sabrina martin

Not SYG
Justified Lethal force to stop the forcible felony of aggravated battery on elderly

In a few more years I'll have a licence to kill any young whipper-snapper mofo who nudges me no matter what I've done to piss him off. "Get the fuck out of my way kid"!!!

(BTW I don't like guns so I'll have to cut his throat, still all right with you?)

Since Florida grants concealed carry permits via its Department of Agriculture, rather than, say a criminal justice agency, the state cannot use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System to screen applicants. To put that another way, Florida simply doesn’t have the federal background check required in every other state that grants concealed carry permits.

FDLE does the background check.

opinion? You seem to use the two interchangeably. We still don't know if he went through a background check. In your opinion he did. I haven't seen that stated anywhere with any authority.

I actually appreciate and respect your concern for the elderly. They are victims of abuse and bullying to a shameful degree. Respect for our elders was bred into my generation and sadly today I don't see that much. I just think your wrong to give this fellow a pass because of his age I don't believe the situation warrants that.

The problem with using the stand your ground defense here is throwing popcorn is not endangering your life.

The problem with using the stand your ground defense here is throwing popcorn is not endangering your life.

Apparently the old fart is saying he couldn't tell it was popcorn. Its a movie theatre, and if it smells like popcorn, its fuckin' popcorn.

But Romine, who is not representing Reeves but has tried many high-profile cases, said the state’s law focuses on one thing: Did the retired officer believe that he was in danger?

If so, Romine said, he had the right to use deadly force to defend himself – even if the weapon was popcorn.

Sheriff rejects popcorn killer?s ?stand your ground? defense: ?Why didn?t he move seats?? | The Raw Story

What a bullshit law. No intelligent person is going to think their life was in danger from freaking popcorn.

But Romine, who is not representing Reeves but has tried many high-profile cases, said the state’s law focuses on one thing: Did the retired officer believe that he was in danger?

If so, Romine said, he had the right to use deadly force to defend himself – even if the weapon was popcorn.

Sheriff rejects popcorn killer?s ?stand your ground? defense: ?Why didn?t he move seats?? | The Raw Story

If the man believed hewas in danger from popcorn, then he probably has a better chance with an insanity defense.

What a bullshit law. No intelligent person is going to think their life was in danger from freaking popcorn.

Only a crazy person would. Insanity defense is better.

Apparently the old fart is saying he couldn't tell it was popcorn. Its a movie theatre, and if it smells like popcorn, its fuckin' popcorn.

Even if he couldn't tell it was possible, what the heck could it be? Milk Duds? Still not lethal.

Forum List

Back