Should employee benefits be tax exempt?

Should government approved employee benefits be tax exempt? Why or why not?

• Total voters
At least three Republican candidates pushed for a one page income tax return in the 2016 primaries. Trump was not one of them. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and one other candidate who I forget at the moment pushed for the one page tax return.

Think about this: There is only one way a one page tax return is possible, and that is by eliminating all tax deductions, exemptions, and credits.

But not one of those three candidates explained that.

If you had a one page tax return that asked how much you made, and then a table to tell you how much to pay, America would no longer need tax accountants.

Which is why they bribe our politicians to keep the tax code as complicated as possible.

Now let's say the government raised its revenue needs to 30 bucks from each of us, because a majority of dipshits voted for the government to give hookers free puppies.

If you earn 100 dollars, the tax rate would have to be 30 percent to get your "fair share" out of you.

But let's chuck in that 10 dollar "standard deduction".

Now the tax rate would have to be raised from 30 percent to 33.33 percent.

That's how our system works.

It is further complicated when other tax expenditures are added in. Breeding, large mortgages, the right kind of refrigerators, employee health insurance exemptions, etc.

These add up to $1.4 trillion the government has to make up for by raising tax rates further and further.

Eventually, tax rates became so high because of this, the American people started complaining. So the tax rates were raised just so high, and then the rest of that $1.4 trillion has to be borrowed every fricking year.

And people earning identical incomes are paying radically different tax amounts, which is not just insane but also grossly unjust. This is massive government interference in our lives.

The whole problem could be solved by simply eliminating tax expenditures, and drastically lowering tax rates, and everyone earning identical incomes would pay identical taxes.

There are two reasons we have deficits;

1. The American Worker doesn't make enough.

2. The wealthy and Corporate America don't pay enough.

I don't think income should be taxed at all, but as long as it is we shouldn't allow government to use it as a tool to manipulate society.

What should be taxed to provide municipal services?

The usual alternatives I suppose - sales tax, property tax, whatever. But that's not the point - the point is that whatever tax scheme we use shouldn't be used as a tool to manipulate people - to punish some and reward others. Taxation should be used to collect revenue for legitimate government services, not as a carrot and stick to push people around.

Last edited:
There should be no income tax, from which to dole out favors and use for social engineering.

Oh, and did I mention....

Christmas.jpg

Now let's say the government raised its revenue needs to 30 bucks from each of us, because a majority of dipshits voted for the government to give hookers free puppies.

If you earn 100 dollars, the tax rate would have to be 30 percent to get your "fair share" out of you.

It is further complicated when other tax expenditures are added in. Breeding, large mortgages, the right kind of refrigerators, employee health insurance exemptions, etc.

These add up to $1.4 trillion the government has to make up for by raising tax rates further and further.

Eventually, tax rates became so high because of this, the American people started complaining. So the tax rates were raised just so high, and then the rest of that $1.4 trillion has to be borrowed every fricking year.

And people earning identical incomes are paying radically different tax amounts, which is not just insane but also grossly unjust. This is massive government interference in our lives.

The whole problem could be solved by simply eliminating tax expenditures, and drastically lowering tax rates, and everyone earning identical incomes would pay identical taxes.

Couldn't be more wrong if you were paid to be.

There is one -and ONLY ONE- reason for debt and deficits: TOO MUCH SPENDING.

If you had a one page tax return that asked how much you made, and then a table to tell you how much to pay, America would no longer need tax accountants.

Which is why they bribe our politicians to keep the tax code as complicated as possible.

But the complexity of the tax code is about much more than keeping tax accountants busy. Congress has used the taxation power to do an end run around Constitutional limitations on their power. With tax penalties and incentives, Congress can coerce people in ways that they aren't allowed to do through straightforward legislation. The Court, and most Americans, have blithely accepted this as the way thing are. But in point of fact it represents a massive expansion of Federal power.

I don't think income should be taxed at all, but as long as it is we shouldn't allow government to use it as a tool to manipulate society.

What should be taxed to provide municipal services?

The usual alternatives I suppose - sales tax, property tax, whatever. But that's not the point - the point is that whatever tax scheme we use shouldn't be used as a tool to manipulate people - to punish some and reward others. Taxation should be used to collect revenue for legitimate government services, not as a carrot and stick to push people around.

"whatever" is income tax.

1. The American Worker doesn't make enough. That would be you.

2. The wealthy and Corporate America don't pay enough. That would be me.

3. There's no debt without SPENDING..

There is no driving to work without spending. And for me, there wouldn't be anywhere to land my jet.

What has never penetrated your dense head after all these years is that TAX EXPENDITURES ARE SPENDING.

$1.4 TRILLION OF SPENDING.

But the complexity of the tax code is about much more than keeping tax accountants busy. Congress has used the taxation power to do an end run around Constitutional limitations on their power. With tax penalties and incentives, Congress can coerce people in ways that they aren't allowed to do through straightforward legislation. The Court, and most Americans, have blithely accepted this as the way thing are. But in point of fact it represents a massive expansion of Federal power.
Thank you. Precisely.

As I said above. This is government picking winners and losers. Astronomical interference in the free market. Behavioral control of the masses.

There is no driving to work without spending. And for me, there wouldn't be anywhere to land my jet.
Completely irrelevant to the point.

You could always park your jet in the trunk of your car.

th

Uh...you don't know what tax expenditures are, clearly.

A fire department doesn't derive public tax monies allocated through tax money expenditures?

My fire department does not.

What city do you live?

Try that again in English, and I will still not answer. You don't need to know.

You won't answer because it will prove you a liar.

I won't answer because it is none of your damn business what city I live in, dumbass!

Homeopathy is bunk.

I can appreciate that's your opinion, and I'm somewhat inclined to agree. However, a lot of people think otherwise, and I'm not sure that legislating this kind of thing is really what we want to do.

I think Republicans should totally run on ending tax exemptions for healthcare and getting rid of the mortgage interest deduction.
The mortgage interest deduction adds about 27 percent to the cost of housing. It's a YUGE ripoff.

You should ask yourself who benefits from houses costing more.

Realtor, builders, and bankers.

Guess how much the real estate lobby spends on campaign contributions and lobbying each year.

And forget about banking! Shit. They are the biggest lobbiests of all.

Lobbiests? WTF, over?

The vast majority of Americans no longer take the mortgage interest reduction because the standard deduction has been raised high enough to eclipse the advantage of taking it. More bullshit mental meanders from a dumbass!
The standard deduction is just another form of tax expenditure which causes all of our tax rates to be higher.

You are being seriously conned.

There is no fucking thing as a tax expenditure! You are simply a moron for calling it that.

A paper airplane can land anywhere.

Yep, that must be the reason why you whine so much about free healthcare and free college...because you're wealthy.

Thread: Should government approved employee benefits be tax exempt? Why or why not?

Government employee benefits should be taxed the same as non-government employees. The government was never intended to be a Cinderella story for its employees, but a way for people who serve Americans can be same as average Americans are. No better, no worse. I don't see a lot of Americans with 30 days of holidays nor month-long furloughs for their first 20 years of employment.

Who gets 30 days of holidays?
Assuming you use "holiday" in the British sense (vacation), I do. 4 weeks of vacation, 5 sick days, 5 personal days.

Forum List

Back