Should only taxpayers be allowed to vote?

No, Gwennie you are wrong. Obama etc have no intention of doing anything of the sort, and you have no concrete evidence except your own worries. Be of good cheer. You merely fear fear itself.

The OP was settled long ago: all citizens get to vote regardless. No one is coming to take 75% of your pay check for anything. I agree that reform in entitlements is always a necessary mandate.

No they don't "Come for your paycheck". Taxation is done in the most insidious of ways.
Here's but a short list of taxes we are forced to pay. well over half of which go to fund social spending programs.
Income tax...I pay 15%.
Payroll tax...We all pay 6.5%
Medicare/Medicaid..NOt sure the percentage. Think it's like 2%
Unemployment insurance tax...not sure. Let's say 1%
Most of us pay State income tax. My rate in our state is 6%.
Sales tax. 6.75% of every purchase. State fuel tax. 39.6 cents per gallon. I average about 100 gallons per month. That's $39.60 per month. Or about 1% of my gross income. Federal fuel tax...18 cents per gallon.. $18 more per month...
Or about 0.5%
When it all gets worked out after federal taxes and fees, state taxes and fees, local taxes such as property taxes, taxes on my vehicles, city and county taxes it comes to well over 50% of my gross income. So please, don't try this nonsense about taxation and those who administer it being "just the people trying to ruin government".
Here's the rub. If government ran efficiently, operated within budget, did things on time, taxed only those things that were appropriate, employed people "in service" rather than as a career, most people would see value in government and therefore would not complain.
Because government at all levels does none of the things mentioned of course most people strenuously object to taxation and the way government operates.

You are effective making the argument that people should be allowed to vote themselves money.

Hard to imagine how any Nation could survive that once the underclass is encouraged to do that in exchange for free gubmint stuff (the Democrat platform).

Straw Man.

No....that's the truth of the situation we now face. obama is creating more of the "underclass" so that dems keep getting voted into office. If people can get free anything, no matter what it is, they will vote to get their free shit. End of story. To say this is a Straw Man argument is idiotic at best. It's obvious that's what's occurring in this country.

This is the intended goal of Obama and his followers. To increase the number of those dependent upon government. The theory is once a person comes to exist on the public dole, he will most likely vote for those who have extended the bounty to him.
It worked in the most recent election.
As long as the administration can implement policy that keeps the economy stagnant and unemployment rates barely tolerable while presenting the image of "trying to help the middle class", government dependency will continue to increase. For example, while both Obama and Biden have continually campaigned on the "middle class" and improving the economy, the number of those receiving food stamps has doubled during Obama's first administration. The reason given by the White House "it's Bush's fault"..Or the republican party has obstructed me". This excuse is destroyed by the fact that during years one and two of Obama's presidency ,he had democrat majorities in the House and Senate to work with.

When Socrates and his friends were talking of voters, they were talking of land owners. In today’s terms, that means, ---- taxpayer. The core of democracy.

There are two types of citizens. The taxpayer and the taxtaker.

Once the taxpayer hands over his wealth, he loses control of where it is spent.

This is counter to the taxpayer’s wishes.

Why do taxpayers allow this situation and defer their right to spend their wealth to others?

If taxtakers had done a good job with that wealth, I do not think any would complain. That is not the case.

Should those who pay the way of our society be the ones who decide where our wealth is spent?

Since the right to do so is tied to our vote, should only taxpayers be allowed to vote on spending issues?

Regards
DL
Socrates you are not. Everyone pays taxes. Land taxes, income taxes, gasoline taxes, food taxes, ..... get it yet?

And property taxes do not amount for huge enough proportion...so maybe I agree...

tax the shit out of property.

btw, Socrates times..they had slaves to do the grunt work while people like Socrates could sit around, pay a small tax and philosophize :rofl:

When Socrates and his friends were talking of voters, they were talking of land owners. In today’s terms, that means, ---- taxpayer. The core of democracy.

Why do taxpayers allow this situation and defer their right to spend their wealth to others?

If taxtakers had done a good job with that wealth, I do not think any would complain. That is not the case.

Should those who pay the way of our society be the ones who decide where our wealth is spent?

Since the right to do so is tied to our vote, should only taxpayers be allowed to vote on spending issues?

Regards
DL
you got problems with the Constitution???

These extensions state that voting rights cannot be denied or abridged based on the following:

• (For federal elections) "By reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax" - (24th Amendment, 1964)

I think you can't make people pay any tax as a requirement to vote...

Last edited:

Regards
DL
you got problems with the Constitution???

These extensions state that voting rights cannot be denied or abridged based on the following:

• (For federal elections) "By reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax" - (24th Amendment, 1964)

problems with the Constitution as well as understanding Socrates??? :eusa_whistle:

It shouldn't baffle you. The Right, at least those on this board look for simplistic knee jerk solutions to complex problems without considering the ramifications.

Exactly. Just like "the left".

Regards
DL

Terrible idea. Everyone who is subject to the laws of the state should be allowed to vote. That said, government should never be authorized to do three-fourths of the unscrupulous shit it currently does - regardless of who is voting.

I like Heinlein's idea that only veterans of the armed forces vote.

Sihan B Sirhan, Timothy McVeigh, and a long line of criminals, degenerates, wife beaters, deadbeat dads...

Yeah, all them veterans are wife-beating, gun-toting freaks who should be incarcerated once they finish their service. They're all trained killers, you know. Ain't no tellin' what they might do.

Hitler was a man. Therefore, all men are Hitler.

What a moronic statement.

Straw Man.

No....that's the truth of the situation we now face. obama is creating more of the "underclass" so that dems keep getting voted into office. If people can get free anything, no matter what it is, they will vote to get their free shit. End of story. To say this is a Straw Man argument is idiotic at best. It's obvious that's what's occurring in this country.

This is the intended goal of Obama and his followers. To increase the number of those dependent upon government. The theory is once a person comes to exist on the public dole, he will most likely vote for those who have extended the bounty to him.
As long as the administration can implement policy that keeps the economy stagnant and unemployment rates barely tolerable while presenting the image of "trying to help the middle class", government dependency will continue to increase. For example, while both Obama and Biden have continually campaigned on the "middle class" and improving the economy, the number of those receiving food stamps has doubled during Obama's first administration. The reason given by the White House "it's Bush's fault"..Or the republican party has obstructed me". This excuse is destroyed by the fact that during years one and two of Obama's presidency ,he had democrat majorities in the House and Senate to work with.

This is where you and others on the right lose the argument.

Regards
DL
Socrates you are not. Everyone pays taxes. Land taxes, income taxes, gasoline taxes, food taxes, ..... get it yet?

And property taxes do not amount for huge enough proportion...so maybe I agree...

btw, Socrates times..they had slaves to do the grunt work while people like Socrates could sit around, pay a small tax and philosophize :rofl:

"Tax the shit out of property"....Based on what logic?
Please expound on your statement.
BTW genius, for example, our property taxes are considered low in comparison to say the states where public employees are unionized. Nevertheless, property taxes here gobble up 12% of our gross household income. If I were in New Jersey, living in the same house on the same sized lot, my property taxes would be 7 times the rate I pay here.
So please explain your justification for stating "tax the shit out of property".

You are effective making the argument that people should be allowed to vote themselves money.

Hard to imagine how any Nation could survive that once the underclass is encouraged to do that in exchange for free gubmint stuff (the Democrat platform).

Straw Man.

Well, let me ask you directly. Should people who pay no Federal income taxes be permitted to vote for politician who promises to give them largess from the Federal treasury if elected?

Let me ask you directly, Snippy, why do you advocate disenfranchising the men and women serving as enlisted personel in our military?

This is where you and others on the right lose the argument.

By stating the facts?
You're gonna have to do better than "lose the argument".

Regards
DL

BTW genius, for example, our property taxes are considered low in comparison to say the states where public employees are unionized. Nevertheless, property taxes here gobble up 12% of our gross household income. If I were in New Jersey, living in the same house on the same sized lot, my property taxes would be 7 times the rate I pay here.
So please explain your justification for stating "tax the shit out of property".

please read the OP and then refrain from posting if you don't comprehend what a landowning, tax paying Ruling class would look like,, only tax payers who own land would vote. get it? what would they fund with the amount of taxes paid now? :lol:

please read the OP and then refrain from posting if you don't comprehend what a landowning, tax paying Ruling class would look like,, only tax payers who own land would vote. get it? what would they fund with the amount of taxes paid now? :lol:

No...The statement was "Tax the shit out of property"...That statement stands on it's own. No excuses. No obfuscation.
Knock yourself out.

No...The statement was "Tax the shit out of property"...That statement stands on it's own. No excuses. No obfuscation.
Knock yourself out.

Why was it said and in what context? :eek: good gawd you truly will be left posting alone if you can't keep up

Knock yourself out.

Why was it said and in what context? :eek: good gawd you truly will be left posting alone if you can't keep up

Still waiting.

Forum List

Back