Should somebody need an ID to vote?

Sorry lads... US doesn't have a history of Mass election fraud but does have a history of this:

SNCC’s organizing was necessary and extremely challenging because African Americans in Selma, despite being a majority in the community, were systematically disfranchised by the white elite who used literacy tests, economic intimidation, and violence to maintain the status quo.

According to a 1961 Civil Rights Commission report, only 130 of 15,115 eligible Dallas County Blacks were registered to vote. The situation was even worse in neighboring Wilcox and Lowndes counties. There were virtually no Blacks on the voting rolls in these rural counties that were roughly 80 percent Black. Ironically, in some Alabama counties, more than 100% of the eligible white population was registered. See point #6 below for more examples.

The present voter laws being proposed by GOP have been struck down as voter suppression and specifically targeting blacks...

Voter ID has been used for decades as a cover for implementation of racial voter suppression. This is not helped that queues for voting in black areas are lot longer than in white areas.

So while I don't know your motivation for Voter ID laws, past has shown that this was used by racists to suppress the black vote and doesn't help when judges are calling the new laws as targeting black voters as well..

Nothing on this thread has done anything to address this...

P.S. It is funny that the Republicans (guys of small government ) are the ones insisting on everyone having a Government issued ID... This is a national ID card... Many in Europe Countries with Big Government, think this is far too much power given to the Government... Germany and Spain have them but UK, France and Ireland cringe at what information that gives the Government..
I remember working in South Africa where ID cards were also compulsory, there was a number on it that signifies what race or tribe you were from... Must had made easier to round them up..

Sorry lads... US doesn't have a history of Mass election fraud but does have a history of this:

SNCC’s organizing was necessary and extremely challenging because African Americans in Selma, despite being a majority in the community, were systematically disfranchised by the white elite who used literacy tests, economic intimidation, and violence to maintain the status quo.

According to a 1961 Civil Rights Commission report, only 130 of 15,115 eligible Dallas County Blacks were registered to vote. The situation was even worse in neighboring Wilcox and Lowndes counties. There were virtually no Blacks on the voting rolls in these rural counties that were roughly 80 percent Black. Ironically, in some Alabama counties, more than 100% of the eligible white population was registered. See point #6 below for more examples.

The present voter laws being proposed by GOP have been struck down as voter suppression and specifically targeting blacks...

Voter ID has been used for decades as a cover for implementation of racial voter suppression. This is not helped that queues for voting in black areas are lot longer than in white areas.

So while I don't know your motivation for Voter ID laws, past has shown that this was used by racists to suppress the black vote and doesn't help when judges are calling the new laws as targeting black voters as well..

Nothing on this thread has done anything to address this...

P.S. It is funny that the Republicans (guys of small government ) are the ones insisting on everyone having a Government issued ID... This is a national ID card... Many in Europe Countries with Big Government, think this is far too much power given to the Government... Germany and Spain have them but UK, France and Ireland cringe at what information that gives the Government..
I remember working in South Africa where ID cards were also compulsory, there was a number on it that signifies what race or tribe you were from... Must had made easier to round them up..
The GOP lies when they claim they want smaller less intrusive govt.

Well, some people might not like this opinion, but I really don't mind if some people don't vote because they aren't able to provide basic identification.

What kind of grown U.S citizen can't provide some form of basic identification? Should I really care whether or not a person like that expresses their opinion through voting? Is that a productive person whose opinion should be seen as valuable? I don't think so. I actually wouldn't mind if extremely ignorant and unproductive people voted less.
If you ask democrats, the answer is black folk can't provide ID's or do much at all other than beg for government help.

Sound's racist to me.

The problem arises as Republicans move from ID to the standards of acceptable ID

Any discrepancy in name or address can be grounds for rejection
People in the cities and elderly people do not have drivers licenses and their form of ID is not acceptable
I think just about every responsible and functional person in the country has some form of I.D. I wouldn't agree with only accepting certain kinds of identification.

If you ask democrats, the answer is black folk can't provide ID's or do much at all other than beg for government help.

Sound's racist to me.
Can sound all you like...

But racist policies in the South used voter ID as a method to suppress and disenfranchise the black vote...

Sorry we very little fraud and see no solutions to the racist polices of the 1960s... We even today see Black areas having longer lines and poorer machines...

And in the middle you say well we haven't fixed those things, so why don't you trust us some more...

I would even go as far as going back to only land owners voting.
Ah, the system where instead of counting votes, only your count votes. Feudalism was dropped for a reason, because that level of power enables those who do vote to make it harder for others to reach voting status.

Reasonable people need to be able to draw reasonable lines. It's not a lot to expect some form of I.D from a citizen that wants to vote.

I think just about every responsible and functional person in the country has some form of I.D. I wouldn't agree with only accepting certain kinds of identification.
OK
Make sure that 99 percent of the population has an ID that is acceptable to vote
If they don’t …get them one

Can sound all you like...

But racist policies in the South used voter ID as a method to suppress and disenfranchise the black vote...

Sorry we very little fraud and see no solutions to the racist polices of the 1960s... We even today see Black areas having longer lines and poorer machines...

And in the middle you say well we haven't fixed those things, so why don't you trust us some more...
So let me get this straight, we can give "free" vaccines to every man woman and child in the country but can't provide them with adequate ID's to vote?

Sounds about right.

LOL.

Why is it I never hear a movement to properly give people an ID so they can do basic things needed to function in society like drive a car? Is the whole needing an ID to drive racist as well or just voting?

Well, some people might not like this opinion, but I really don't mind if some people don't vote because they aren't able to provide basic identification.

What kind of grown U.S citizen can't provide some form of basic identification? Should I really care whether or not a person like that expresses their opinion through voting? Is that a productive person whose opinion should be seen as valuable? I don't think so. I actually wouldn't mind if extremely ignorant and unproductive people voted less.

Yes, everyone has ID and should be required to show ID when they vote. But the devil is in the details.

What ID should be used? The correct answer is "any government issued photo ID". What Republicans want to do is create a special "voter ID", as the ONLY acceptable voter ID. That way they can limit who gets the Voter ID card, in the same ways they try to limit voter registration.

I can vote with my birth certificate, citizenship card, passport, driver's license, gun license, or any other government issued ID. That's what Colorado has and what all states should have.

rightwinger
So you are saying that no one should have any ID to vote. Just walk in the door and vote??

Sounds pretty stupid to me but then you voted for a walking, talking hair sniffing disaster so I guess that's the way you see it. Good Lord.

I can vote with my birth certificate, citizenship card, passport, driver's license, gun license, or any other government issued ID. That's what Colorado has and what all states should have.
Agreed.

Not anymore
Most people bank online or through an ATM
Many people have lived in the same apartment for decades and never provided ID. The same people have voted for decades and now are being rejected

If an old timer has lived in the same residence for decades, they are well known and won't be asked for ID. Although the vast majority of geezers and geezerettes who have lived in the same place for decades live in houses not apartments.

Yes, everyone has ID and should be required to show ID when they vote. But the devil is in the details.

What ID should be used? The correct answer is "any government issued photo ID". What Republicans want to do is create a special "voter ID", as the ONLY acceptable voter ID. That way they can limit who gets the Voter ID card, in the same ways they try to limit voter registration.

Can people get a vaccine or medical treatment without an ID? If so, that is incredibly dangerous and open to fraud issues.

Sounds like democrats need to start focusing on getting people an ID so they can drive a car and get safe medical care instead of bitching they should vote without one.

rightwinger
So you are saying that no one should have any ID to vote. Just walk in the door and vote??

Sounds pretty stupid to me but then you voted for a walking, talking hair sniffing disaster so I guess that's the way you see it. Good Lord.
Sign your name, just like you always have

Easy Peasy

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
OK
Make sure that 99 percent of the population has an ID that is acceptable to vote
If they don’t …get them one

99% of the people aren't interested in voting.

And if the libs are successful in permanently silencing Conservative voices, the percentage of voters will decrease- actually on both sides.

Why vote if the results are predetermined?

The problem arises as Republicans move from ID to the standards of acceptable ID

Any discrepancy in name or address can be grounds for rejection
People in the cities and elderly people do not have drivers licenses and their form of ID is not acceptable
You mean they want a valid ID.

States that require an ID provide one for free.

Forum List

Back