Should the Democratic Party move Left?

I've seen Van Jones and others say it - should the party move Left?

Democrats Try To Find A Future Post-Obama With Fault Lines Along Economics, Race

From the piece:

"I want to guard against the Democratic Party, because they feel that they lost because white men and white women did not vote for Democrats," Onyeukwu said. "I want to make sure that we do not abandon minority demographics to go and pander back to white Americans."

Onyeukwu is concerned that identity politics has become increasingly taboo in some Democratic circles.

"As a party," he said, "you should be robust enough to have multiple conversations with multiple groups of people at the same time."

no. van jones has a lot of good things to say, but i don't think he has his finger on the electorate.

but we might want to discuss reality for a moment and ask why it's ok that the GOP has gone full rightwingnut conspiracy hacks.

Democrats Try To Find A Future Post-Obama With Fault Lines Along Economics, Race

From the piece:

"I want to guard against the Democratic Party, because they feel that they lost because white men and white women did not vote for Democrats," Onyeukwu said. "I want to make sure that we do not abandon minority demographics to go and pander back to white Americans."

Onyeukwu is concerned that identity politics has become increasingly taboo in some Democratic circles.

"As a party," he said, "you should be robust enough to have multiple conversations with multiple groups of people at the same time."

no. van jones has a lot of good things to say, but i don't think he has his finger on the electorate.

but we might want to discuss reality for a moment and ask why it's ok that the GOP has gone full rightwingnut conspiracy hacks.
The thread is reality, because it's a primary topic of conversation within the Democratic party.

If you want to try to change the subject and the focus, it's easy to start a thread on USMB.

From the piece:

Well, they answered your question, now DIDN'T they-) How does it feel to belong on the fringe of a Marxist, political party?

From the piece:

The thread is reality, because it's a primary topic of conversation within the Democratic party.

If you want to try to change the subject and the focus, it's easy to start a thread on USMB.
Until the D Party realizes what a terrible failure BO was, they will never regain the confidence of the American people. We have Donnie today because BO was such a terrible failure. The American people are sick of their presidents only caring for the extreme wealthy.

This old column spells it out........

Democrats can’t win until they recognize how bad Obama’s financial policies were

Two key elements characterized the kind of domestic political economy the administration pursued: The first was the foreclosure crisis and the subsequent bank bailouts. The resulting policy framework of Tim Geithner’s Treasury Department was, in effect, a wholesale attack on the American home (the main store of middle-class wealth) in favor of concentrated financial power. The second was the administration’s pro-monopoly policies, which crushed the rural areas that in 2016 lost voter turnout and swung to Donald Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...obamas-financial-policies-were/?noredirect=on

One wonders what world most Americans live in when you read nonsense like most of the above. Democrats need to stay attached to representative democracy and not allow the failures of the republicans to become status quo. Republicans failed American democracy and have done so since money manages their very soul. An excellent piece below.

" But even that general conclusion is too fast. We will not actually know whether Trump’s election exhibits a failure of democracy until we see whether the institutions of court and congress function to prevent him from carrying out his anti-democratic impulses. We see a failure in our electorate, but institutions may yet save democracy. For example, if the Court rules against Trump’s proposed religious test for immigrants, and his proposal for a religious registry, and does not overturn (as he has proposed) the constitutional protection for flag-burning, or implement his proposal to punish women for having legal abortions, and resists his attempted removal of due process protections for immigrants, and resists the privatization of education as a violation of equal protection, then the damage Trump could do to democracy would be limited to some degree." The Critique – A Failure Of Democracy?

And reading too.

"Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" Jane Mayer
'Invisible Hands: The Businessmen's Crusade Against the New Deal' Kim Phillips-Fein

Who's that guy in your Avatar?

From the piece:

This is a really strange question from you. Seriously.....how much further could they possibly go?
I think you folks just like to make ridiculous statements so you can claim racism or some kind of phobia to anyone that feels it's stupid as shit....

Holy fuck no. They have moved to the extreme left already and the party is fighting for its identity.

We will see where this goes - If Biden takes the ticket then they have not gone nuts. If he does not then I don't see another candidate that represents rationality over crazy talking points and hate.

To those on the right cheering this shit show, take a good long and hard look at what you believe in and realize that the democrats WILL gain control. This is a hard fact and there is no way around it. No matter how far they go, no matter how crazy they get, at some point they are going to win and likely win full control. I don't care how long you think the right can retain the reigns of political power I don't think that justifies getting a Bernie or Warren in the oval office.

Forum List

Back