Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

It's awful when the family of the founder of a great company does so well, eh comrade?

True, they ONLY benefited over half the Corp tax breaks right Bubs, beside hitting the lucky sperm lottery, why should they benefit from the fathers hard work, worth more than 80% of US COMBINED? ?????

True, they ONLY benefited over half the Corp tax breaks right Bubs,

You mean they paid taxes, just like every other corporation?
That's awful!
Feel free to cut out all the welfare payments that WalMart takes advantage of.

why should they benefit from the fathers hard work

Why not. You know, private ownership.

Yep, Walton's/Walmart use the best tax breaks they can buy in Congress!

Oh so our Founders were wrong to worry about INHERITED aristocracy over merit? Thanks for letting me know!

If it bothers you to have a complex tax code, the solution is quite simple: A low fair flat rate tax that applied to everyone.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!

Keep dreaming. A REGRESSIVE tax isn't needed, but weird how the GOP stops ANYTHING that might require their overlords to pay more equitable with their wealth!
What I find perplexing is how the liberals seem to think they have a right to someone elses earned income.

It's awful when the family of the founder of a great company does so well, eh comrade?

True, they ONLY benefited over half the Corp tax breaks right Bubs, beside hitting the lucky sperm lottery, why should they benefit from the fathers hard work, worth more than 80% of US COMBINED? ?????

That's awful!

Oh so our Founders were wrong to worry about INHERITED aristocracy over merit? Thanks for letting me know!

If it bothers you to have a complex tax code, the solution is quite simple: A low fair flat rate tax that applied to everyone.

Flat would be ideal, but just getting rid of all the exemptions, "incentives", and similar bullshit would be a fine start. And there'd be actual bipartisan support for such an effort.

A lot of the exemptions and deductions were put in place to justify higher rates. A change needs to involve reducing rates as well.

That's awful!

Keep dreaming. A REGRESSIVE tax isn't needed, but weird how the GOP stops ANYTHING that might require their overlords to pay more equitable with their wealth!
What I find perplexing is how the liberals seem to think they have a right to someone elses earned income.

I don't find it perplexing at all. History is replete with greedy envious people wanting and taking other people's money.

That's awful!

What I find perplexing, is conservatives/libertarians "think" those people made it on their own, without SOCIETY and our laws?

You'll get it back.

Most Americans could save but instead spend beyond their means and are in debt. This is a Republican talking point so don't argue with it.

You'll get it back.

Unless you die early. Or the government decides to cut your benefits.
Safer than the stock market.

If you put 12.4% of your lifetime earnings in the stock market and 12.4% of your lifetime earnings into Social Security and die tomorrow, at the age of 61 years, 363 days, which of your two retirement plans will give your family more money, the stock market or Social Security?

Don't understand how an INSURANCE policy works huh? I'm NOT surprised

Hint how'd the stock market work out after the Banksters hosed US in the 1920's?

If you're paying 12.4% of your lifetime earnings for a low yielding insurance policy, you may be doing it wrong.

Sure Bubs, sure. ONE example of privatizing SS that HAS worked as promised, ANYWHERE? lol

That's awful!

What I find perplexing, is conservatives/libertarians "think" those people made it on their own, without SOCIETY and our laws?

It's not at all preplexing to me that you find how other people make something of themselves to be perplexing.

That's awful!

and then comes the question, if someone made it within the rules of society, why didnt the other person. too lazy to get an education still comes in to play since both started equal.

That's awful!

I don't find it perplexing at all. History is replete with greedy envious people wanting and taking other people's money.

Sanders.jpg

conservative-logic-yeah-its-that-bad-conservatives-politics-1367833486.jpg

and then comes the question, if someone made it within the rules of society, why didnt the other person. too lazy to get an education still comes in to play since both started equal.

Yes, the Kochs, Walton family, Romney ALL started at the same place as the poor *shaking head*

Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and other fellow travelers

If there was one thing the Revolutionary generation agreed on — and those guys who dress up like them at Tea Party conventions most definitely do not — it was the incompatibility of democracy and inherited wealth.

Read more: Stephen Budiansky's Liberal Curmudgeon Blog: Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and other fellow travelers

SOME rules have changed:

EFFECTIVE tax rates

average_effective_federal_tax_rates.png

That's awful!

Flat would be ideal, but just getting rid of all the exemptions, "incentives", and similar bullshit would be a fine start. And there'd be actual bipartisan support for such an effort.

A lot of the exemptions and deductions were put in place to justify higher rates. A change needs to involve reducing rates as well.

Linking the two issues isn't necessary and ensures gridlock. We should seize the opportunity for positive change, even if it results in higher net taxes for some. The argument for lower tax rates will be much more compelling when people are actually paying the rates in question.

Yes, the Kochs, Walton family, Romney ALL started at the same place as the poor *shaking head*

If there was one thing the Revolutionary generation agreed on — and those guys who dress up like them at Tea Party conventions most definitely do not — it was the incompatibility of democracy and inherited wealth.

Read more: Stephen Budiansky's Liberal Curmudgeon Blog: Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and other fellow travelers
Somewhere along the line someone in their families was poor.
Waltons only really took off in the mid 80s so thiers is what is to be considered "New" money in many circles. ( yes, thats an insult from one rich guy to another)

SOME rules have changed:

EFFECTIVE tax rates

do you honestly think that a 70% tax rate is fair at any income level? seriously?

That's awful!

Linking the two issues isn't necessary and ensures gridlock. We should seize the opportunity for positive change, even if it results in higher net taxes for some. The argument for lower tax rates will be much more compelling when people are actually paying the rates in question.

Uh. Yes it is. Example. If you want to get rid of the mortgage deduction, then rates should be lowered for individuals.

If you want to get rid of depreciation on capital equipment as a deduction, then 100% of capital purchases should be eligible for deductions from income upon purchase.

We have a convoluted tax code because businesses and groups of individuals have quite rightly lobbied to offset high tax rates. You can't get rid of the deductions and leave rates high, unless you want to make the economy even worse.

Uh. Yes it is. Example. If you want to get rid of the mortgage deduction, then rates should be lowered for individuals.

If you want to get rid of depreciation on capital equipment as a deduction, then 100% of capital purchases should be eligible for deductions from income upon purchase.

We have a convoluted tax code because businesses and groups of individuals have quite rightly lobbied to offset high tax rates. You can't get rid of the deductions and leave rates high, unless you want to make the economy even worse.
No, its ok, you can leave tax high, hell, you can RAISE tax and get rid of the mortgage deductions, Dont worry, the economy is way strong enough to handle the housing industry failure that would come.

Waltons only really took off in the mid 80s so thiers is what is to be considered "New" money in many circles. ( yes, thats an insult from one rich guy to another)

You mean they didn't become BILLIONAIRES until the 1970's? And yes, they INHERITED the wealth AND aren't what a MERIT based society is SUPPOSED to be

Hint: Allowing the Walton's to become aristocrats, like the Kochs, is more harmful, IMHO, than allowing a few million "illegals" into the USA!

You mean they didn't become BILLIONAIRES until the 1970's? And yes, they INHERITED the wealth AND aren't what a MERIT based society is SUPPOSED to be

Hint: Allowing the Walton's to become aristocrats, like the Kochs, is more harmful, IMHO, than allowing a few million "illegals" into the USA!
I think you make too much.
there are people in this country that cant afford internet. Maybe you should cut your pay in half and give it to them.

SOME rules have changed:

EFFECTIVE tax rates

do you honestly think that a 70% tax rate is fair at any income level? seriously?

You mean like the hedge funder making $4.7+ billion by gamiong the system on his subprime bets? HELL YES.

ANY income over about $10 million a year should be taxed about 50%. ANYTHING over $100 million, 70%

WE CAN'T EVEN GET THE GOPers TO SUPPORT A MIN 30% TAX ON $1+ MILLION INCOMES THOUGH!

I think you make too much.
there are people in this country that cant afford internet. Maybe you should cut your pay in half and give it to them.

Your empathy is noteworthy, disingenuous, but noted

SOME rules have changed:

EFFECTIVE tax rates

You mean like the hedge funder making $4.7+ billion by gamiong the system on his subprime bets? HELL YES.

ANY income over about $10 million a year should be taxed about 50%. ANYTHING over $100 million, 70%

WE CAN'T EVEN GET THE GOPers TO SUPPORT A MIN 30% TAX ON $1+ MILLION INCOMES THOUGH!
You really dont understand incentive do you.
so, are you going to give half of your income to someone that doesnt work? to them, you must look rich if you can eat and keep a roof over your head.

Forum List

Back