Should The Rich Be Required To Pay Higher Taxes In the US?

Your inability to use reason, logic or honesty noted Bubs
yet I am able to feed myself and don't have to be a parasite

you should be a bit more respectful to those of us who pay for your existence

AGAIN Bubs

Keep yourself on your knees for the plutocrats though Bubs

average_effective_federal_tax_rates.png

Hey dipshit, I am your overlord, people like you bow to me

Middle class AND the Founders wanted a society based on merit, not generational inherited wealth, like the Kochs/Waltons, which occupy the top 6 of 10 richest in the US...

I see you forgot the richest such as Buffett, Gates and Oprah.

Weird, did THEY INHERIT THEIR MONEY LIKE THE KOCHS/WALTONS? lol

Moron, Oprah is BARELY a billionaire to begin with.

Oprah is a black woman that is barely a billionaire in supposedly an oppressive, racist country against blacks and women.

It's called SYSTEMIC dummy. She's an exception to the rule. Know what that means Bubs?

That racism isn't a rule?

Systemic racism is a sociological theory for understanding the role of race and racism in United States society developed by Joe Feagin and presented in his book Racist America: Roots, Current Realities, & Future Reparations. Feagin uses historical evidence and demographic statistics to create a theory that asserts that the United States was founded in racism as the Constitution classified black people as the property of whites, and that this legal recognition of slavery is a cornerstone of a racist social system in which resources and rights were and are unjustly given to white people, and unjustly denied black people. Rooted in this foundation, systemic racism today is composed of intersecting, overlapping, and codependent racist institutions, policies, practices, ideas, and behaviors. As such, it is a theory that accounts for individual, institutional, and structural forms of racism. The development of this theory was influenced by other scholars of race, including Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. Du Bois, Oliver Cox, Anna Julia Cooper, Kwame Ture, and Frantz Fanon, among others.

While Feagin developed the theory based on the history and reality of anti-black racism in the United States, it is usefully applied to understanding how racism functions more broadly, both within the United States, and around the world.

The Key Aspects of Systemic Racism Include:

1. Patterns of undeserved impoverishment and enrichment that are historically rooted and continue to recur today. Over time, whites have been enriched by the labor of blacks, whether commanded for free during the era of slavery, or purchased on the cheap on the basis of race. This pattern consists of the simultaneous and mutually dependent denial of wealth accumulation for blacks, and unjust wealth accumulation for whites. It can be seen in the exclusion of blacks from buying homes in certain neighborhoods and receiving unfavorable mortgage rates, or in blacks being overwhelmingly channeled into low-wage jobs. Vested group interests, among both powerful whites and “ordinary whites” who benefit from a white racial identity, support political and economic systems that reproduce a social system that is racist and has racist outcomes.

Systemic racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wealth Gap. Did you know that in 2010 Black Americans made up 13% of the population but had only 2.7% of the country's wealth?

yet I am able to feed myself and don't have to be a parasite

you should be a bit more respectful to those of us who pay for your existence

AGAIN Bubs

Keep yourself on your knees for the plutocrats though Bubs

average_effective_federal_tax_rates.png

Hey dipshit, I am your overlord, people like you bow to me

I don't think you understand what respect an assistant manager at McD's gets Bubs

Systemic racism is a sociological theory for understanding the role of race and racism in ....

Yeah... I was merely commenting on the inability to recognize the distinction between equality under the law - (ensuring that our laws and government aren't racist) and trying to address cultural bigotry via the law. But I suppose that's off-topic.

Oprah is a black woman that is barely a billionaire in supposedly an oppressive, racist country against blacks and women.

It's called SYSTEMIC dummy. She's an exception to the rule. Know what that means Bubs?

Systemic racism is a sociological theory for understanding the role of race and racism in United States society developed by Joe Feagin and presented in his book Racist America: Roots, Current Realities, & Future Reparations. Feagin uses historical evidence and demographic statistics to create a theory that asserts that the United States was founded in racism as the Constitution classified black people as the property of whites, and that this legal recognition of slavery is a cornerstone of a racist social system in which resources and rights were and are unjustly given to white people, and unjustly denied black people. Rooted in this foundation, systemic racism today is composed of intersecting, overlapping, and codependent racist institutions, policies, practices, ideas, and behaviors. As such, it is a theory that accounts for individual, institutional, and structural forms of racism. The development of this theory was influenced by other scholars of race, including Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. Du Bois, Oliver Cox, Anna Julia Cooper, Kwame Ture, and Frantz Fanon, among others.

While Feagin developed the theory based on the history and reality of anti-black racism in the United States, it is usefully applied to understanding how racism functions more broadly, both within the United States, and around the world.

1. Patterns of undeserved impoverishment and enrichment that are historically rooted and continue to recur today. Over time, whites have been enriched by the labor of blacks, whether commanded for free during the era of slavery, or purchased on the cheap on the basis of race. This pattern consists of the simultaneous and mutually dependent denial of wealth accumulation for blacks, and unjust wealth accumulation for whites. It can be seen in the exclusion of blacks from buying homes in certain neighborhoods and receiving unfavorable mortgage rates, or in blacks being overwhelmingly channeled into low-wage jobs. Vested group interests, among both powerful whites and “ordinary whites” who benefit from a white racial identity, support political and economic systems that reproduce a social system that is racist and has racist outcomes.

Wealth Gap. Did you know that in 2010 Black Americans made up 13% of the population but had only 2.7% of the country's wealth?

Hence the call for Redistribution? How far is that going to get US?

They are? Why would Wal-Mart have a care in the world about welfare? It doesn't benefit them. But I suppose you have evidence of this push for welfare Wal-Mart is involved in?

I didn't think so.

Walmart pays people so little that they can get welfare payments and work at the same time. This is why Walmart care, because without this they wouldn't be able to get such cheap labor.

For example, healthcare coverage. Walmart has a much lower proportion of workers on healthcare than other companies that are similar to Walmart. Why? They make it hard for them to get on the company health insurance plan.
A full time worker has to wait 6 months before they can get on. A part time worker 2 years.

This costs the US money because these people end up on state funded health care. We're talking more then 50% of the workers here. The average time at large companies is 1.3 months to get health insurance.

Also workers pay a lot of their healthcare costs. 16% is the average in the US, Walmart employees pay over 40%.

Walmart spent around $3,500 per employee on healthcare. The national average is $5,600.
Employees take some of this, the govt takes the rest.

California spend $20 million covering the cost of Walmart not paying people their healthcare. Walmart actively encourages its employees to seek funding for healthcare from the government.

Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay For Wal-Mart: Wal-Mart's Labor Record / CONGRESSMAN GEORGE MILLER / Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce / U.S. House of Representatives 16feb04

"
The Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee. Specifically, the low wages result in the following additional public costs being passed along to taxpayers:

• $36,000 a year for free and reduced lunches for just 50 qualifying Wal-Mart families.
  • $42,000 a year for Section 8 housing assistance, assuming 3 percent of the store employees qualify for such assistance, at $6,700 per family.
  • $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families, assuming 50 employees are heads of household with a child and 50 are married with two children.
  • $100,000 a year for the additional Title I expenses, assuming 50 Wal-Mart families qualify with an average of 2 children.
  • $108,000 a year for the additional federal health care costs of moving into state children's health insurance programs (S-CHIP), assuming 30 employees with an average of two children qualify.
  • $9,750 a year for the additional costs for low income energy assistance."
Basically Walmart costs the US loads of money.

The Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee.

Let's assume a part-time worker, 30 hours a week at $10 an hour. About $15,000 a year.
If WalMart closes her store, does that supposed $2,103 cost increase or decrease?

Liberal math is funny.
WalMart has about 1.4 million employees in the US. If we assume the $2,103 number is correct (I don't), that's about $3 billion. Now you'd have to balance that against the tens of billions they save consumers each year, the tens of billions they contribute in sales taxes, the $8 billion they paid in income taxes, the $7 billion they paid in dividends, the $3 billion they spent to buy back stock, the income and payroll taxes their employees pay, the taxes collected on the dividends and capital gains taxes and more that I've left out.

It's clear to anyone who understands economics, and math, that WalMart does not cost the US loads of money.

Let's assume a Walmart closes down. Another shop will open in it's place, assuming there's a market for stuff that Walmart sells, which there is. Perhaps you'd have a company which makes a profit and pays wages, and doesn't make them pay extra for healthcare and doesn't send them off to the government to collect welfare money.

Your logic is funny. Sure, they save people money, people who buy their stuff. However they don't save people money because they pay lower wages. They make massive profits. Let's say you're calculations are right, the $3 billion is STILL only half of their profits. They could easily afford to pay this stuff.

What the contribute is what everyone has to contribute. What they don't contribute and other companies do is the factor here.

It's like saying that this company pays X amount in tax therefore that's okay, even though everyone else pays X*2. I don't get it.

Walmart has people working, and has people taking. The right seem to hate it when people are on welfare, EXCEPT when people are on welfare and making someone else a shed load of cash. I don't get it.

I'm not in favor of people being on welfare. Some people have to be on welfare, but when big corporations are putting people on welfare, when this is an actual policy of the company, and then paying them much less so they can get the welfare to back up their meager wages, then something is wrong, wouldn't you say?

Sure, they save people money, people who buy their stuff.

They also save money for people who don't buy their stuff.

On Monday, the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus will announce its finding that the “implied claim” in the ads — that families shopping at Wal-Mart will save $2,500 a year more than those that shop at other big stores — is misleading.

It is a message “for which the advertiser provided no support and, in fact, conceded that there was none,” the group says.

The claim of saving $2,500 dates to 2005, when Wal-Mart, under mounting criticism from unions and elected leaders over its business practices, commissioned a study of its economic impact on Americans.

An outside firm, paid by Wal-Mart, found that the company’s emphasis on low prices led to a 3 percent decline in overall consumer prices. That translated into $287 billion in savings in 2006, or $2,500 a household, whether a family shops at Wal-Mart or a competitor, according to the study.

The watchdog group had no quibble with what it called the “express claim” of Wal-Mart’s ad — that it saves American families $2,500 a year. “The advertiser has provided adequate support for its intended message,” according to the report.

Shopping at WalMart specifically does not save the average family $2,500 a year. But the effect of WalMart on the total economy means that the average family does save $2,500 a year on their shopping. This is, if you like, the consumer surplus of the big box stores having driven all those Mom and Pop stores out of business: and of having destroyed all of those jobs in the process.

Or, if you prefer, that $287 billion a year. And please do note that that’s each and every year.

WalMart Destroys Jobs, Yes, But The Benefits Go To Consumers, Not The Top

So you're saying that a store which saves people money compared to other stores should be given a free ride by the government?

I'll tell you what. I'll open up a store. I'll pay my employees $1 an hour then charge much less for my products, and go to government and say "I'm saving these people loads of money because I pay my employees peanuts, so, give my employees $10 for every hour that they work in welfare"

Is that small government mentality?

I don't get it.

So you're saying that a store which saves people money compared to other stores should be given a free ride by the government?

What the hell are you talking about?
They employ 1.4 million Americans.
Last year they paid $8 billion in income taxes, $7 billion in dividends, $10s of billions in sales taxes, billions more in payroll taxes. Free ride? LOL!

I'll pay my employees $1 an hour...
"I'm saving these people loads of money because I pay my employees peanuts, so, give my employees $10 for every hour that they work in welfare"

As usual, liberal math is way off. Assume the stupid study by the anti-WalMart group was correct and each WalMart employee gets $2,103 in government benefits. If every employee works 30 hours a week, the government is adding $1.40 an hour.

in 2010 Black Americans made up 13% of the population but had only 2.7% of the country's wealth

It's amazing what importing millions of low-skilled illegals does to the wages of low-skilled blacks.

ANY form of taxation IS re-distributive.

Weird how the 1945-1980 time period when the EFFECTIVE tax rates on the top 1/10th+ of 1% (50%-70%) of US saw the largest growth for the bottom 90%,. Today the US has the lowest effective tax rates on those same guys, around 20% for decades, yet we see stagnant wages for the bottom. Correlation?

Weird how the 1945-1980 time period when the EFFECTIVE tax rates on the top 1/10th+ of 1% (50%-70%) of US saw the largest growth for the bottom 90%,. Today the US has the lowest effective tax rates on those same guys, around 20% for decades, yet we see stagnant wages for the bottom. Correlation?

Weird how the 1945-1980 time period when the EFFECTIVE tax rates on the top 1/10th+ of 1% (50%-70%) of US saw the largest growth for the bottom 90%,.

Yeah, weird how they did so well when we were the only manufacturing power on the planet.
And we didn't have 15 million illegals taking the jobs at the lower end.

It's amazing how this reality doesn't seem to sink in with these stupid people. We had the biggest middle class, biggest industry and best educational system on earth during this period. Yet, they double down on cut, slash and burn.

Why do they favor the super wealthy so much??? I don't think most of the loserterians are rich??? So it doesn't make sense.

Yep. Taxes are taken by force. There's nothing more directly "re-distributive", really.

Some taxes are voted on and others are voted on by people we elected. How is that forced? You do like driving on paved roads and living in a first world country? Your argument doesn't make any sense.

There's nothing wrong about paying taxes as societies been doing so for thousands of years.

Yep. Taxes are taken by force. There's nothing more directly "re-distributive", really.

Some taxes are voted on and others are voted on by people we elected. How is that forced? You do like driving on paved roads and living in a first world country? Your argument doesn't make any sense.

I'll walk you through it. If you refuse to pay your taxes, men with guns will come and take you to jail. Even if you voted against the taxes.

I'll walk you through it. If you refuse to pay your taxes, men with guns will come and take you to jail. Even if you voted against the taxes.

It's called a society. Grow up dummy

It's called a society. Grow up dummy

That's the conceit of the statist in a nutshell - the idea that society and government are the same thing.

They are quite conservative and therefore, believe that people should support themselves if anyway possible. That's unlike liberals who believe in having only one job, and if the job doesn't pay enough, blame somebody else and get on a government program(s) to make up the difference.

And don't try to blame Republicans. People having two jobs is an old school thing that's been around for decades. Many times I've held two (or more) jobs and the same holds true of my parents. Of course back then, people had pride. Government handouts were for losers and only a failure would accept government assistance. Then again, liberalism is all about removing integrity from our country.

It's Walmart and companies like that who are pushing for welfare for people who don't earn enough.

They are? Why would Wal-Mart have a care in the world about welfare? It doesn't benefit them. But I suppose you have evidence of this push for welfare Wal-Mart is involved in?

I didn't think so.

Walmart pays people so little that they can get welfare payments and work at the same time. This is why Walmart care, because without this they wouldn't be able to get such cheap labor.

For example, healthcare coverage. Walmart has a much lower proportion of workers on healthcare than other companies that are similar to Walmart. Why? They make it hard for them to get on the company health insurance plan.
A full time worker has to wait 6 months before they can get on. A part time worker 2 years.

This costs the US money because these people end up on state funded health care. We're talking more then 50% of the workers here. The average time at large companies is 1.3 months to get health insurance.

Also workers pay a lot of their healthcare costs. 16% is the average in the US, Walmart employees pay over 40%.

Walmart spent around $3,500 per employee on healthcare. The national average is $5,600.
Employees take some of this, the govt takes the rest.

California spend $20 million covering the cost of Walmart not paying people their healthcare. Walmart actively encourages its employees to seek funding for healthcare from the government.

Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay For Wal-Mart: Wal-Mart's Labor Record / CONGRESSMAN GEORGE MILLER / Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce / U.S. House of Representatives 16feb04

"
The Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee. Specifically, the low wages result in the following additional public costs being passed along to taxpayers:

• $36,000 a year for free and reduced lunches for just 50 qualifying Wal-Mart families.
  • $42,000 a year for Section 8 housing assistance, assuming 3 percent of the store employees qualify for such assistance, at $6,700 per family.
  • $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families, assuming 50 employees are heads of household with a child and 50 are married with two children.
  • $100,000 a year for the additional Title I expenses, assuming 50 Wal-Mart families qualify with an average of 2 children.
  • $108,000 a year for the additional federal health care costs of moving into state children's health insurance programs (S-CHIP), assuming 30 employees with an average of two children qualify.
  • $9,750 a year for the additional costs for low income energy assistance."

The Democratic Staff of the Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in a cost to federal taxpayers of $420,750 per year – about $2,103 per employee.

Let's assume a part-time worker, 30 hours a week at $10 an hour. About $15,000 a year.
If WalMart closes her store, does that supposed $2,103 cost increase or decrease?

Liberal math is funny.
WalMart has about 1.4 million employees in the US. If we assume the $2,103 number is correct (I don't), that's about $3 billion. Now you'd have to balance that against the tens of billions they save consumers each year, the tens of billions they contribute in sales taxes, the $8 billion they paid in income taxes, the $7 billion they paid in dividends, the $3 billion they spent to buy back stock, the income and payroll taxes their employees pay, the taxes collected on the dividends and capital gains taxes and more that I've left out.

It's clear to anyone who understands economics, and math, that WalMart does not cost the US loads of money.

Let's assume a Walmart closes down. Another shop will open in it's place, assuming there's a market for stuff that Walmart sells, which there is. Perhaps you'd have a company which makes a profit and pays wages, and doesn't make them pay extra for healthcare and doesn't send them off to the government to collect welfare money.

Your logic is funny. Sure, they save people money, people who buy their stuff. However they don't save people money because they pay lower wages. They make massive profits. Let's say you're calculations are right, the $3 billion is STILL only half of their profits. They could easily afford to pay this stuff.

What the contribute is what everyone has to contribute. What they don't contribute and other companies do is the factor here.

It's like saying that this company pays X amount in tax therefore that's okay, even though everyone else pays X*2. I don't get it.

Walmart has people working, and has people taking. The right seem to hate it when people are on welfare, EXCEPT when people are on welfare and making someone else a shed load of cash. I don't get it.

I'm not in favor of people being on welfare. Some people have to be on welfare, but when big corporations are putting people on welfare, when this is an actual policy of the company, and then paying them much less so they can get the welfare to back up their meager wages, then something is wrong, wouldn't you say?

Correct, something is very wrong. But it's not Wal-Mart or anybody else putting people on welfare. Wal-Mart doesn't have that capability. People put themselves on welfare.

Wal-Mart is the target of the left because of their size......not because of their pay scale. Their pay scale is no different than any other big box store, and in fact, pay better money and provide better opportunity for advancement than any mom and pop shop.

Wal-Mart has many happy employees such as management. Their office staff does very well in wages and benefits. Their truck drivers earn a very good wage; I talk to them all the time. So does their warehouse people. Yet when the left talks about Wal-Mart, they look to the lowly floor sweeper or shelf stocker.

Also to the chagrin of the left, Wal-Mart does not force people to work for them. It's an option. People willingly apply and take jobs at Wal-Mart because they want to do those jobs. It can't be ruled out that because of our over generous welfare system, they take those jobs on purpose either.

Wal-Mart should pay their employees a living wage! No, people should make themselves worth a living wage. Wal-Mart doesn't control what a person is worth in wages--the individual is in charge of that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back