Slavery reparations?

Are you for or against slavery reparations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is a poll we might just want to look at how effective the arguments have been

Against reparations: 92
For reparations: 9

Enough said?

He doesn't care that it would never get enough votes to be passed into law.
He'll just keep whining.

Dont call it whining it is a debt owed. Would you call it whining if you were not paid for the work you did?

It is a debt that was once owed and never paid by some long dead people to other long dead people.

Neither the debtors nor the creditors have any living representatives around. Nor do they have children around. Nor do they have (for the most part) even any
GRANDchildren around.

There is no debt owed anymore by anyone to anybody based on slavery.

Not only did that ship sail, it got grounded, rotted and turned into dust long ago.

This is true and shows what type of deadbeats the white people from that era were pretending the war was fought to free slaves We know all along it was to keep the Union intact and promote free states over slave states where white people could benefit from homesteading acts that gave out land and obtain jobs without competing with free slave labor. The least they could have done was paid up at that point so we could actually obtain something to leave a legacy for. The white power structure in this country has never truly advocated the inclusion of Black people. This is just another reason why reparations should be paid.

What matters is that no one wanted you people.

Thats not really true. Have you noticed all the mixed children? You need these genes. Yours are inferior according to studies.

The average Negro IQ in Africa is 70. The average Negro IQ in the United States is 85. The 15 point difference in favor of American Negroes is partly due to the benefits of living in a white dominated civilization. It is partly due to genetic contributions made by white slave owners and employers.

What matters is that no one wanted you people.

Thats not really true. Have you noticed all the mixed children? You need these genes. Yours are inferior according to studies.

The average Negro IQ in Africa is 70. The average Negro IQ in the United States is 85. The 15 point difference in favor of American Negroes is partly due to the benefits of living in a white dominated civilization. It is partly due to genetic contributions made by white slave owners and employers.

Wait...what? You expect me to lend credibility to a test inspired by a known eugenicist who admittedly, according to studies, has inferior genes? Dont make me laugh. Nobody believes that monkey boy. :lol:

There is no doubt that slavery was a horrific act committed by sick individuals, but, I dont think that this necessarily means we should have to financially repararend something that happened 100 years ago! Anyone who is still alive in our currently, had no direct hand in slavery, therefore, why should we have to be the ones paying? Also, only a small portion of people owned slaves, its not like the whole Eastern Seaboard had hundreds upon hundreds of slaves, I think that this topic is commonly over exaggerated, especially in regard to the amount of slaves there were.

It wasnt just committed by some sick individuals. It was condoned and supported by the US. Even after admitting slavery was wrong they never reimbursed the victims. For that the US owes. I doesnt matter if your ancestors never owned slaves. You are living in a country that derives its wealth directly from the labor of those slaves hence your participation by paying your taxes. Of course the topic is over exaggerated to some. That just points to your lack of perspective to be honest.

He doesn't care that it would never get enough votes to be passed into law.
He'll just keep whining.

Dont call it whining it is a debt owed. Would you call it whining if you were not paid for the work you did?

It is a debt that was once owed and never paid by some long dead people to other long dead people.

Neither the debtors nor the creditors have any living representatives around. Nor do they have children around. Nor do they have (for the most part) even any
GRANDchildren around.

There is no debt owed anymore by anyone to anybody based on slavery.

Not only did that ship sail, it got grounded, rotted and turned into dust long ago.

You keep getting mixed up and confused. The US and not the slave owners are the party responsible for allowing slavery. The slave owners just took advantage of the US allowing it to occur. Please pay attention.

Wait...what? You expect me to lend credibility to a test inspired by a known eugenicist who admittedly, according to studies, has inferior genes? Dont make me laugh. Nobody believes that monkey boy. :lol:
Why would anyone care if you are "lent" credibility? After all, you've assigned almost every human advancement to the most primitive peoples to have ever inhabited the earth.

Why would anyone care if you are "lent" credibility? After all, you've assigned almost every human advancement to the most primitive peoples to have ever inhabited the earth.

Evidently monkey boy cares. He cited the test attempting to convince me. Are you stupid or something? Thats correct. The Africans are the most primitive people on earth. Only a moron like you doesn't realize primitive means primary from the latin primus. Go look up the etymology of the word retard. :lol:

Now when you can show me where the first languages, writing, examples of math, philosophy, and sciences all come from you will be a little smarter. Face it. Without Black people cave apes would still be running around in caves eating each other. Why was Greece was the first known European country and for years europeans claimed they were not really white?

Evidently monkey boy cares. He cited the test attempting to convince me. Are you stupid or something? Thats correct. The Africans are the most primitive people on earth. Only a moron like you doesn't realize primitive means primary from the latin primus. Go look up the etymology of the word retard. :lol:

Now when you can show me where the first languages, writing, examples of math, philosophy, and sciences all come from you will be a little smarter. Face it. Without Black people cave apes would still be running around in caves eating each other. Why was Greece was the first known European country and for years europeans claimed they were not really white?
I have no idea what you're talking about. The best I can make of your babbling is that Greeks were not "white".

Also, I've never called blacks "cave apes", or even apes. They had only just achieved the level of European cavemen before European intervention, despite the possibility of diffusion both from Europe and North Africa.

People, this is getting more and more stupid and we seem to have racists of every color crawling out of the wood work on this one.

I think a sufficient case has been made that reparations for slavery that ended more than 150 years ago is idiotic and not really worth the time of any thinking person to bother with. Reparations are promoted and defended only by racist opportunists of all skin colors who are interested in keeping racism alive and well.

And I can't sit by and hear people actually suggest that black people are intellectually inferior to white people. Black children who are expected and required to learn and perform as all other children almost always will and certainly will on the same level as any other children. Some will excel; some won't. Skin color has nothing to do with it.

But those who are treated as inferior or that they won't be allowed opportunity or fair treatment or whatever will too often believe they are inferior and/or can't do it or there is no point in trying. Those who are discouraged from excelling or accomplishing academically for fear they will be accused of 'acting white' or some other idiotic characterization may very well sell themselves short and/or perform less competently on IQ tests or SATs or other means of measurement.

Before government meddling and racism became a national industry, black children in the segregated inner city schools of New York City and elsewhere were performing every bit as well as their counterparts in the area 'white' schools. Anybody who doesn't buy that should read up on it. A good place to start would be with Thomas Sowell's excellent book: Education: Assumptions vs History as well as some of his many essays on the subject.

But I would advise fellow members that we are in danger of having our IQ lowered simply reading some of the idiotic stuff posted on this thread both by black and white members here.

People, this is getting more and more stupid and we seem to have racists of every color crawling out of the wood work on this one.

I think a sufficient case has been made that reparations for slavery that ended more than 150 years ago is idiotic and not really worth the time of any thinking person to bother with. Reparations are promoted and defended only by racist opportunists of all skin colors who are interested in keeping racism alive and well.

And I can't sit by and hear people actually suggest that black people are intellectually inferior to white people. Black children who are expected and required to learn and perform as all other children almost always will and certainly will on the same level as any other children. Some will excel; some won't. Skin color has nothing to do with it.

But those who are treated as inferior or that they won't be allowed opportunity or fair treatment or whatever will too often believe they are inferior and/or can't do it or there is no point in trying. Those who are discouraged from excelling or accomplishing academically for fear they will be accused of 'acting white' or some other idiotic characterization may very well sell themselves short and/or perform less competently on IQ tests or SATs or other means of measurement.

Before government meddling and racism became a national industry, black children in the segregated inner city schools of New York City and elsewhere were performing every bit as well as their counterparts in the area 'white' schools. Anybody who doesn't buy that should read up on it. A good place to start would be with Thomas Sowell's excellent book: Education: Assumptions vs History as well as some of his many essays on the subject.

But I would advise fellow members that we are in danger of having our IQ lowered simply reading some of the idiotic stuff posted on this thread both by black and white members here.
I understand you're trying to bring a balance to difficult discussion, but at the same time I think that in that attempt you're trying to be egalitarian in spite of the glaringly obvious. Equality is a concept very rare in nature. It is rather a human construct championed by those who accept dogma far more readily than fact. To you I would say that despite your idealism, what you wish will never be true.

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride, to use a tired metaphor.

Code:

Not quite getting your analogy. Who is the convicted murder in this and why is he receiving 2 million dollars? The purpose of reparations would be token as well as provide real assets denied by the withholding of reparations. The victims will never forget but reparations would go a long way towards seeing that real progress is desired.

The analogy is ackward, but it works. Usually a convicted murderer is as naturally destitute as Uncle Sam. Both are only allowed to raise money for noble causes and have no means of support except as prescribed by the law. So if a convict raises money by selling his story, the proceeds must go to the victims. That means that Uncle Sam would have to legally justify the appropriation in terms of its ability to raise money from its Constitutional allowance to tax. You didnt think the money would come from the Confederacy did ya?

I think its problematic to go tell recent Russian immigrants that Uncle Sam just decided to intentionally lose a judgement over a 200 yr old debt. So they have to pony up for what CONSTITUTIONAL reason???

What I find most interesting about your comment is your belief that all reparations would accomplish is to show a desire to repent. And that say $10Bill would be nothing but an opening to a real apology. THAT is gonna be an impossible sell. Your expectation should be to ask for whatever amount would end the grief and hurt. Or like the bereaved family, taking the movie royalty money from the crappile that killed their kin, maybe there's no amount of money that will fix the grief in the first place and they rather not see the murder story win an OSCAR.

OK. The convict part was throwing me off as you are correct they are usually destitute. In this case Uncle Sam is hardly destitute, has never been sentenced, and never even convicted. I would describe Uncle Sam more like Bernie Madoff before he was caught.

It may be problematic to tell your new Russian immigrant that his taxes are going to pay for a 200 year old debt that was never paid but I think most rational people would understand a debt is a debt until its paid. I think they would be ok with part of the initiation fee they were going to be paying anyway is going to pay that debt. They dont seem to have a problem with paying for wars.

I didnt say thats all reparations would do. There would be some real economic benefit to not only the descendants of the ex-slaves but also the US itself would naturally recoup that money in the form of a better economy due to increased spending in the Black sector. The part that would be most valuable is the trust it would build in the Black community. Most Black people do not trust whites to do what is right to put it simply. That is a big source of contention. Looking at the excuses against reparations bears that out. To most Blacks its pretty simple. Our ancestors worked and made this nation a economic power. The money those ancestors should have been paid for just that aspect is glaringly obvious. The attempts to trivialize the subsequent effects of slavery on the Black condition also builds large barriers. You are correct in saying there really is no amount large enough but a good faith gesture of a reasonable amount would show an attempt to rectify the wrong.

+1 for the Bernie Madoff comparison.. The problem here is the specific form of settlement. You do not get to make suing for damages -- an on-going experiment with "relations and trust" in our justice factory. And I fear that a ONE-TERM payment -- would PROVOKE more bad faith than it solves. Within a year or two -- the stimulus from a one-time payout would dissipate and there would be same effect on the economy as when Uncle Same makes Temporary subsidies to states for programs that the states are then obliged to fund in perpetuity.

You need more of a "structured settlement" whereby for instance, folks disadvantaged by bad karma from the government (and that would include the failed treaties with Amer. Indians) would receive vouchers to ensure schools of their choice, or that only they could receive EITC tax credits for instance. Something that has a LASTING effect on the disadvantages that they have suffered. And then we get to focus on the whining and begging about WHO is in the receiving class and how many drops of blood it takes to be eligible for the settlement.. That's counterproductive if we ever want to get AWAY from being a society so LEGALLY and ADMINISTRATIVELY fixated on race and descendency.

I understand you're trying to bring a balance to difficult discussion, but at the same time I think that in that attempt you're trying to be egalitarian in spite of the glaringly obvious. Equality is a concept very rare in nature. It is rather a human construct championed by those who accept dogma far more readily than fact. To you I would say that despite your idealism, what you wish will never be true.

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride, to use a tired metaphor.

I am not speaking of theoretical or idealistic equality. I am speaking of the reality. I doubt any other human as done such exhaustive research on this as has Thomas Sowell, which is why I recommend his books and essays as the authority. And having been hands on in mixed race classrooms of sorts, I am also speaking from up close and personal experience.

And what I wish is that racism would cease as a national industry and that political correctness would be condemned as the abomination that it is, and that we allow all people to see skin color as of no more importance than eye color or hair color. In that I may indeed be overly idealistic, but somebody needs to be.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The best I can make of your babbling is that Greeks were not "white".

Also, I've never called blacks "cave apes", or even apes. They had only just achieved the level of European cavemen before European intervention, despite the possibility of diffusion both from Europe and North Africa.

We all know you have no idea how to read comprehensively. Read my post slowly and maybe you can ask for help on the 2 syllable words. I never accused you of calling Black people apes. I called you a cave ape because you are a racist as exhibited by your retarded posts. If you dont like it show some respect and you will get some. Your grasp of history is astonishing. Your own historians like Herodotus spoke of the African civilization of Egypt and remarked "the people of Colchis must be Egyptians because like them they are black-skinned and wooly-haired."

I would disagree on any case being made against reparations. So far all the excuses against have been shot down. Nothing offered so far can dispute that the ex-slaves were not paid reparations. Nothing offered so far has shown any rationality as to why the descendents of slavery should not be entitled to those reparations. Its idiotic to even argue those points in light of the precedents set by the paying of reparations to the Japanese and the victims of the Rosewood massacre.

I would disagree on any case being made against reparations. So far all the excuses against have been shot down. Nothing offered so far can dispute that the ex-slaves were not paid reparations. Nothing offered so far has shown any rationality as to why the descendents of slavery should not be entitled to those reparations. Its idiotic to even argue those points in light of the precedents set by the paying of reparations to the Japanese and the victims of the Rosewood massacre.

I know you disagree despite the credible arguments that have been made here. Which is why, in this discussion, I would classify you as being supportive of the racism and race baiting industry in this country and one who is doing far more harm than good re dealing with racism.

We all know you have no idea how to read comprehensively. Read my post slowly and maybe you can ask for help on the 2 syllable words. I never accused you of calling Black people apes. I called you a cave ape because you are a racist as exhibited by your retarded posts. If you dont like it show some respect and you will get some. Your grasp of history is astonishing. Your own historians like Herodotus spoke of the African civilization of Egypt and remarked "the people of Colchis must be Egyptians because like them they are black-skinned and wooly-haired."
You're being daft. The Romany (Gypsies) were labeled as "Egyptians", (get it?) were thus named because the were dark-skinned although they were certainly not black by your definition. Anyway, sub-Saharan Africans were, and still are, the most primitive people on earth.

They were never able to take advantage of diffusion and remained essentially stone-aged people which is why they were enslaved by not only those who would colonize their lands, but by others centuries before that.

The analogy is ackward, but it works. Usually a convicted murderer is as naturally destitute as Uncle Sam. Both are only allowed to raise money for noble causes and have no means of support except as prescribed by the law. So if a convict raises money by selling his story, the proceeds must go to the victims. That means that Uncle Sam would have to legally justify the appropriation in terms of its ability to raise money from its Constitutional allowance to tax. You didnt think the money would come from the Confederacy did ya?

I think its problematic to go tell recent Russian immigrants that Uncle Sam just decided to intentionally lose a judgement over a 200 yr old debt. So they have to pony up for what CONSTITUTIONAL reason???

What I find most interesting about your comment is your belief that all reparations would accomplish is to show a desire to repent. And that say $10Bill would be nothing but an opening to a real apology. THAT is gonna be an impossible sell. Your expectation should be to ask for whatever amount would end the grief and hurt. Or like the bereaved family, taking the movie royalty money from the crappile that killed their kin, maybe there's no amount of money that will fix the grief in the first place and they rather not see the murder story win an OSCAR.

OK. The convict part was throwing me off as you are correct they are usually destitute. In this case Uncle Sam is hardly destitute, has never been sentenced, and never even convicted. I would describe Uncle Sam more like Bernie Madoff before he was caught.

It may be problematic to tell your new Russian immigrant that his taxes are going to pay for a 200 year old debt that was never paid but I think most rational people would understand a debt is a debt until its paid. I think they would be ok with part of the initiation fee they were going to be paying anyway is going to pay that debt. They dont seem to have a problem with paying for wars.

I didnt say thats all reparations would do. There would be some real economic benefit to not only the descendants of the ex-slaves but also the US itself would naturally recoup that money in the form of a better economy due to increased spending in the Black sector. The part that would be most valuable is the trust it would build in the Black community. Most Black people do not trust whites to do what is right to put it simply. That is a big source of contention. Looking at the excuses against reparations bears that out. To most Blacks its pretty simple. Our ancestors worked and made this nation a economic power. The money those ancestors should have been paid for just that aspect is glaringly obvious. The attempts to trivialize the subsequent effects of slavery on the Black condition also builds large barriers. You are correct in saying there really is no amount large enough but a good faith gesture of a reasonable amount would show an attempt to rectify the wrong.

+1 for the Bernie Madoff comparison.. The problem here is the specific form of settlement. You do not get to make suing for damages -- an on-going experiment with "relations and trust" in our justice factory. And I fear that a ONE-TERM payment -- would PROVOKE more bad faith than it creates. Within a year or two -- the stimulus from a one-time payout would dissipate and there would be same effect on the economy as when Uncle Same makes Temporary subsidies to states for programs that the states are then obliged to fund in perpetuity.

You need more of a "structured settlement" whereby for instance, folks disadvantaged by bad karma from the government (and that would include the failed treaties with Amer. Indians) would receive vouchers to ensure schools of their choice, or that only they could receive EITC tax credits for instance. Something that has a LASTING effect on the disadvantages that they have suffered. And then we get to focus on the whining and begging about WHO is in the receiving class and how many drops of blood it takes to be eligible for the settlement.. That's counterproductive if we ever want to get AWAY from being a society so LEGALLY and ADMINISTRATIVELY fixated on race and descendency.

In order to reach a specific settlement one would need to agree that there is merit to the idea of reparations. Anytime you sue you are able to set the terms of the settlement. Regardless, what I am saying is that as an additional benefit the good will generated by the pay out of reparations acknowledges and validates what happened. Why would a 1 time payment cause bad faith? You paid the debt and then there is nothing further left to be said at that point. The point of the reparations is not to stimulate the economy. It will be a natural reaction to more money being spent by the Black sector but is in no way designed to be an incentive for agreement to pay reparations. Its not a bribe so if the effects dissipate thats not an issue.

We decide what we need. That decision belongs to the recipients. Your suggestions may be noted but we need to let go of this inclination to try and decide whats best for people capable of determining that for themselves. Also this is not going to go like Affirmative Action where everyone is included. This is specifically for Black people that can prove descent from an ex-slave. Once reparations are paid their is no reason for racial politics. The debt is paid. People will sink or swim on their own.

Last edited:

I know you disagree despite the credible arguments that have been made here. Which is why, in this discussion, I would classify you as being supportive of the racism and race baiting industry in this country and one who is doing far more harm than good re dealing with racism.

What credible arguments? List even one.

You're being daft. The Romany (Gypsies) were labeled as "Egyptians", (get it?) were thus named because the were dark-skinned although they were certainly not black by your definition. Anyway, sub-Saharan Africans were, and still are, the most primitive people on earth.

They were never able to take advantage of diffusion and remained essentially stone-aged people which is why they were enslaved by not only those who would colonize their lands, but by others centuries before that.

You are either stupid or trolling. You need to be aware that the Egyptians are proven sub-saharan via DNA. Rameses III is E1B1A haploid group. Look up the DNA results for him and some of the other mummies including King Tut. Yes we are primitive. The primary man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back