Small Businesses in NYC Struggling with $15 Minimum Wage

Yes, in Arizona there are a ton of self-checkouts.
It's only a matter of time before all fast-food and mid-grade level national chain restaurants are self-order. Greeters and food runners will be the only floor staff at the latter. The costs will be imputed into higher food prices and tipping will be a thing of the past.

Only mom & pop shops and high-end joints will still have people taking your order.

Jamming a national $15 min wage down every state's throat will just hasten the demise of the 2.5 million wait-staff jobs whose average reported income (wage+tips) is just over $10/hr. At least that is what they report but if their tips are replaced with a $15/hr min wage their howling will be deafening. Guess why.

Probably true and then we will pay people to stay home.

That's what we do now, and it isn't working so well.

Works better than the alternative. There are other alternatives but "shareholders" are not interested in better alternatives so we will pay more and more to simply stay home.

What do shareholders have to do with people staying at home? The only reason people stay at home is because they are lazy. It doesn't matter what any shareholder does.

They are the ones pushing automation. People will have no choice. But you know the argument.

Ever noticed the self checkouts everywhere and the lack of cashiers? I wonder what caused that?
It's only a matter of time before all fast-food and mid-grade level national chain restaurants are self-order. Greeters and food runners will be the only floor staff at the latter. The costs will be imputed into higher food prices and tipping will be a thing of the past.

Only mom & pop shops and high-end joints will still have people taking your order.

Jamming a national $15 min wage down every state's throat will just hasten the demise of the 2.5 million wait-staff jobs whose average reported income (wage+tips) is just over $10/hr. At least that is what they report but if their tips are replaced with a $15/hr min wage their howling will be deafening. Guess why.

We're already on this ride. It's happening now regardless of whether we pay people not enough to support themselves or pay them almost enough. The fact that you guys think paying someone 5 bucks an hour when they can't survive on it is somehow beneficial.

Of course, you'll argue they should get a better job but in order to do so you need training or an education which also costs money and you guys don't support any sort of government sponsored education assistance.

These shit jobs usually come without healthcare which can lead to people in these jobs prone to health issues and of course they can't afford the care. But you guys don't care about that.

Trade school is affordable for virtually everybody in this country. The problem is people who are willing to go to school don't want to come out working with their hands. Advanced education should put you behind a desk or in a cubical where the heaviest thing you lift all day is your ass out of the chair.

If you still believe all is lost, there is always the military who will train you for many different types of work. My field alone we need over 60,000 drivers we can't find. You can become a certified tractor-trailer operator in less than two months of school. If you don't like that route, there are companies that will train you for free and get you licensed if you sign a contract to work for them for one year. Can't find Americans willing to take these offers and give you the ability to live anywhere in the country and make a good living.

Trade school costs thousands and the rest of your post is a joke.

Ever noticed the self checkouts everywhere and the lack of cashiers? I wonder what caused that?

We're already on this ride. It's happening now regardless of whether we pay people not enough to support themselves or pay them almost enough. The fact that you guys think paying someone 5 bucks an hour when they can't survive on it is somehow beneficial.

Of course, you'll argue they should get a better job but in order to do so you need training or an education which also costs money and you guys don't support any sort of government sponsored education assistance.

These shit jobs usually come without healthcare which can lead to people in these jobs prone to health issues and of course they can't afford the care. But you guys don't care about that.

Trade school is affordable for virtually everybody in this country. The problem is people who are willing to go to school don't want to come out working with their hands. Advanced education should put you behind a desk or in a cubical where the heaviest thing you lift all day is your ass out of the chair.

If you still believe all is lost, there is always the military who will train you for many different types of work. My field alone we need over 60,000 drivers we can't find. You can become a certified tractor-trailer operator in less than two months of school. If you don't like that route, there are companies that will train you for free and get you licensed if you sign a contract to work for them for one year. Can't find Americans willing to take these offers and give you the ability to live anywhere in the country and make a good living.

Yes, they do cost several thousand dollars depending on what kind of training you need, but in this country, we have what's called loans. A loan is where you borrow money and pay it back at a later date. In fact my niece and nephew are doing that right now. They racked up tens of thousands in college loans, and are paying it back now that they are out of school and working.

As for the rest of my post being a joke, care to be more specific?

Yes, they do cost several thousand dollars depending on what kind of training you need, but in this country, we have what's called loans. A loan is where you borrow money and pay it back at a later date. In fact my niece and nephew are doing that right now. They racked up tens of thousands in college loans, and are paying it back now that they are out of school and working.

Can't get a loan if you don't have any collateral.

No liberal but I still refuse to use robo-checkouts and have left baskets of food...especially frozen items...in carts when there were no human checkers. There ARE other stores.

Works better than the alternative. There are other alternatives but "shareholders" are not interested in better alternatives so we will pay more and more to simply stay home.

What do shareholders have to do with people staying at home? The only reason people stay at home is because they are lazy. It doesn't matter what any shareholder does.

They are the ones pushing automation. People will have no choice. But you know the argument.

No, I never heard of shareholders pushing automation. The owners or managers may, but not the shareholders. All we care about is our investment is paying off.

No, I never heard of shareholders pushing automation. The owners or managers may, but not the shareholders. All we care about is our investment is paying off.

Automation in insurance: good for shareholders, bad for employees?

http://insights.instech.london/post...rance-good-for-shareholders-bad-for-employees

Robot Takeover Matters Less If We're All Shareholders

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It wasn't consumers. Not all that long ago Wal-Mart had their "made in the USA" posters and placards everywhere. Then they demanded lower and lower and lower supplier costs and the only way to meet this was with foreign manufacturing. The "consumers," were not left with a choice.

First you say it was the consumers and now you say it isn't. Make up your mind.

I haven't seen any Walmart made in American signs, but then I again I seldom shop there. As for supplier costs, yes they do try to get their products lower. I know because we have customers that supply Walmart. In fact my last stop today was from an American company that make products for another customer of ours that supplies Walmart. And I'll probably be heading back there on Monday because we have a different customer that also supplies them.

They have jobs. They don't pay enough to live on.

Other people are living on them, why can't these people you are talking about?

It wasn't consumers. Not all that long ago Wal-Mart had their "made in the USA" posters and placards everywhere. Then they demanded lower and lower and lower supplier costs and the only way to meet this was with foreign manufacturing. The "consumers," were not left with a choice.

I haven't seen any Walmart made in American signs, but then I again I seldom shop there. As for supplier costs, yes they do try to get their products lower. I know because we have customers that supply Walmart. In fact my last stop today was from an American company that make products for another customer of ours that supplies Walmart. And I'll probably be heading back there on Monday because we have a different customer that also supplies them.

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Automation in insurance: good for shareholders, bad for employees?

http://insights.instech.london/post...rance-good-for-shareholders-bad-for-employees

Robot Takeover Matters Less If We're All Shareholders

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Bloomberg is a pay site and your other site made no mention of shareholders demanding anything. If you're going to post links, read them yourself instead of pasting headlines.

No you're changing the subject. You asked about jobs and I said go to any industrial area and hit all the businesses with the HELP WANTED signs on their building.

No you're changing the subject. You asked about jobs and I said go to any industrial area and hit all the businesses with the HELP WANTED signs on their building.

They aren't paying any more than Wal Mart or they wouldn't have to put out a sign.

They aren't paying any more than Wal Mart or they wouldn't have to put out a sign.

WTF, you've got an excuse for everything. No wonder you're whining for free shit.

Can't get a loan if you don't have any collateral.

Obama fixed everything when he had government take over student loans, remember?

Like I said, you can join the military. Not only will they train you for a field you like, they also have college benefits for after you get out of the service.

How Financial Aid for Trade School Works

Wrong as always. Some of those places are our customers, and I inquire about the kind of jobs and what they have to offer. Most don't pay too badly, it's just that the company can't find people that can pass the drug test.

Gotta wonder what they would cost us if there was no Walmart to subsidize them, eh Comrade?

Gotta wonder what they would cost us if there was no Walmart to subsidize them, eh Comrade?

Walmart is the leftist whipping boy. However what do these people think Target pays, K-Mart, Kohl's?

Minimum wage jobs have been in this country since the day I was born. In fact I've worked several of them myself in a younger day. One of those minimum wage jobs gave me inspiration that led to a lifelong career.

I was hired as a truck driver helper. A friend of mine was the driver and he got me the job. After he left the company, they didn't know where to turn, so they threw me behind the wheel. I was scared shitless because I was only 17 and the largest vehicle I ever drove was a van.

I learned and also left the company, but I was too young for another truck driving job. Most places wanted you to be at least 21. So I went into delivering medical equipment for about ten years. When I got sick of that, I went back into driving a truck.

A few years later, I took my tests for a Class A which is tractor-trailer, and I've been driving tractor-trailers ever since.

The point is that I learned things at those minimum wage jobs. I found something I really liked to do, and also learned what I really didn't want to do the rest of my life. That's what minimum wage jobs are for. Also if not for social programs, people would try harder to get better paying work. That's what we did years ago. If government subsidized me for getting paid minimum wage, who knows where I would have ended up.

I love how you move the goal posts every time your right wing talking points are dismantled.

I love how you move the goal posts every time your right wing talking points are dismantled.

Great.......two people that are unable to follow a conversation.

Forum List

Back