Smoking banned in private homes.

Does anyone really agree smoking should be banned in your own home?

Yes, if there are children living in the home or other people living there who are made sick by the smoke. Lots of people follow that rule nowadays anyway, including my neighbors who don't smoke inside when the kids are at home. Unfortunately they smoke outside where their smoke goes in the windows of other people's homes where there are children.

Why don't smokers just switch to smokeless tobacco? That way they only affect their own health. Though they are still unkissable.

what's next no farting , Big government dictating what you can eat , when does it stop??

This is just ridiculous. :cuckoo:

BELMONT, California: During her 50 years of smoking, Edith Frederickson says she has lit up in restaurants and bars, airplanes and trains, and indoors and out, all as part of a two-pack-a-day habit that she regrets not a bit. But as of two weeks ago, Frederickson can no longer smoke in the one place she loves the most: her home.

Frederickson lives in an apartment in Belmont, California, a quiet city about 23 miles, or 37 kilometers, south of San Francisco that is now home to perhaps the nation's strictest anti-smoking law, effectively outlawing lighting up in all apartment buildings.

Smoking ban extends to apartments in California city - International Herald Tribune

10 pages of posts already!! Damn this must be a hot topic. I'm sure I don't need to read any of it though. No doubt Shogun's about to blow an o-ring and Anguille thinks it's a great idea. My first thought is, how do they plan on enforcing this?

This is just ridiculous. :cuckoo:

BELMONT, California: During her 50 years of smoking, Edith Frederickson says she has lit up in restaurants and bars, airplanes and trains, and indoors and out, all as part of a two-pack-a-day habit that she regrets not a bit. But as of two weeks ago, Frederickson can no longer smoke in the one place she loves the most: her home.

Frederickson lives in an apartment in Belmont, California, a quiet city about 23 miles, or 37 kilometers, south of San Francisco that is now home to perhaps the nation's strictest anti-smoking law, effectively outlawing lighting up in all apartment buildings.

Smoking ban extends to apartments in California city - International Herald Tribune

10 pages of posts already!! Damn this must be a hot topic. I'm sure I don't need to read any of it though. No doubt Shogun's about to blow an o-ring and Anguille thinks it's a great idea. My first thought is, how do they plan on enforcing this?
try reading the article?

It has to do with apartment dwellings. I think an eviction process. would be in order for repeat violations,

your smoking rights end at my nose/lungs/apt

At a local level, the debate over the law has divided the residents of the Bonnie Brae into two camps, with the likes of Frederickson, a hardy German émigré, on one side, and Ray Goodrich, a slim 84-year-old with a pulmonary disease and a lifelong allergy problem, on the other.

And, as with many combatants, there is a mix of respect and animosity.

"She is one tough old woman," Goodrich said.

Frederickson is less loving.

"I would not acknowledge that man for anything in the world," she said. "He started this as a vendetta against other residents."

A soft-spoken North Carolinian who grew up playing in tobacco warehouses as a child, Goodrich hardly seems the vendetta type, but he did say he noticed smoke from neighbors' rooms soon after he moved into Bonnie Brae in 1998.

"It gave me an instant headache, kind of like an iron band around the head," Goodrich said. "I could be sitting and have the air filters going, which eliminated the visible smoke, but the smoke was still there."

He finally decided he had had enough after a fire broke out in a smoker's room in the complex in 2003, a blaze that was fed by the tenant's oxygen tank.

"I came around the corner, and there was just a giant puff of black smoke, and I knew I wasn't going to last five seconds in that," Goodrich said. "It was like Dante's inferno up there."

Goodrich began a letter-writing campaign, petitioning everyone from local officials to the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, which helps finance the privately managed Bonnie Brae.

"We need your help," read one of Goodrich's letters in July 2006. "A barking dog disturbs our sleep but will not kill us. Secondhand smoke is killing us."

That letter caught the attention of several members of the Belmont City Council, including Dave Warden, a Belmont native and software consultant who served on the council until 2007. Warden said council members were particularly moved when Goodrich followed up with visits to Council meetings, often joined by other Bonnie Brae tenants - using walkers, wheelchairs and oxygen tanks - and telling harrowing tales of life surrounded by secondhand smoke.
sigh

;)

Why is secondhand smoke a problem?

Secondhand smoke causes cancer

Secondhand smoke is classified as a "known human carcinogen" (cancer-causing agent) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a branch of the World Health Organization.

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Secondhand smoke causes other kinds of diseases and deaths

Secondhand smoke can cause harm in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

an estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
about 3,000 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
150,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually
increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
more than 750,000 middle ear infections in children
Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth weight babies.
ACS :: Secondhand Smoke

it is apartments or condos......basically attached units.....

yeah, nothing about castles. :eusa_whistle:

nope....you can smoke to your hearts content in your single famliy home.....unless you have kids in there.....then you are endangering a minor....same if you smoke in your car with kids in there.....california is nuts.....

California is nuts, but so are many of the people who live here. I just moved here. :cool:

Why anyone smokes around kids is beyond me. PEople who smoke around children and pets need a good slap. I used to smoke around a dawg I had. The pup sat at my feet everywhere I went. He started wheezing. One of the reasons I quit.

That works for me. And if an apartment building owner wishes to run a non-smoking establishment, he or she is welcome to do so...ditto if they want to allow people to smoke in their apartments.

What if he wants to run a no homosexual establishment? Is he welcome to do that too?

yeah, nothing about castles. :eusa_whistle:

nope....you can smoke to your hearts content in your single famliy home.....unless you have kids in there.....then you are endangering a minor....same if you smoke in your car with kids in there.....california is nuts.....

California is nuts, but so are many of the people who live here. I just moved here. :cool:

Why anyone smokes around kids is beyond me. PEople who smoke around children and pets need a good slap. I used to smoke around a dawg I had. The pup sat at my feet everywhere I went. He started wheezing. One of the reasons I quit.

born here......it is a trip.....quit smoking cold turkey in 01.....

born here......it is a trip.....quit smoking cold turkey in 01.....
most everything here is a legal infraction or misdemeanor, punishable by a hefty fine. lol

fukin' cops in LB, stop people on bicycles and issue traffic tickets.

I have a photo or two to share. my buildingw as evacuated for a bomb scare.

LB's finest harassed me for taking photos.

That works for me. And if an apartment building owner wishes to run a non-smoking establishment, he or she is welcome to do so...ditto if they want to allow people to smoke in their apartments.

What if he wants to run a no homosexual establishment? Is he welcome to do that too?
It depends.

of course it depends. an owners insurance will/can go down because of risks and there is also a health issue.

smoker's rights is a red herring

most everything here is a legal infraction or misdemeanor, punishable by a hefty fine. lol

fukin' cops in LB, stop people on bicycles and issue traffic tickets.

I have a photo or two to share. my buildingw as evacuated for a bomb scare.

LB's finest harassed me for taking photos.

You need to move south. LB is nasty. Newport or Laguna is much nicer. And if you surf Capistrano Beach is good even further south. LB is just a low rent Venice Beach or Santa Monica. It wants to be hip and trendy but... isn't. Kinda like you Devy. :tongue:

I don't think so. On the face of it sure, but after reading the how and why (the context) I don't find it ridiculous at all. A person's private home is not affected (yet - lol). When one rents an apartment one is sharing living quarters/property.

The way I read it, it does. I have an attached condo. No common entrances,no shared ventilation, but some walls are shared. If this law were in effect here, I would not be able to legally smoke on my own property.

Why is secondhand smoke a problem?

Secondhand smoke causes cancer

Secondhand smoke is classified as a "known human carcinogen" (cancer-causing agent) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a branch of the World Health Organization.

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Secondhand smoke causes other kinds of diseases and deaths

Secondhand smoke can cause harm in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

an estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
about 3,000 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
150,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually
increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
more than 750,000 middle ear infections in children
Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth weight babies.
ACS :: Secondhand Smoke

ACS hmmm? Nice and impartial.

It depends.

of course it depends. an owners insurance will/can go down because of risks and there is also a health issue.

smoker's rights is a red herring
Not seeing how that is relevant. An apartment building owner can choose to pay the extra premium. It would be more complicated in a condo owner's case...but I'd hate to see laws that make no man's home his castle.

And I still fail to see how second hand smoke can travel through walls. Methinks the man in the story is full of shit and a self-righteous teetotaller type.

I don't think so. On the face of it sure, but after reading the how and why (the context) I don't find it ridiculous at all. A person's private home is not affected (yet - lol). When one rents an apartment one is sharing living quarters/property.

The way I read it, it does. I have an attached condo. No common entrances,no shared ventilation, but some walls are shared. If this law were in effect here, I would not be able to legally smoke on my own property.
And truthfully, you shouldn't be able to BBQ if these laws are consistent. I'd imagine BBQ fumes were more harmful overall than second hand cigarette smoke.

And seriously, dogs. Dogs have been known to kill.

And truthfully, you shouldn't be able to BBQ if these laws are consistent. I'd imagine BBQ fumes were more harmful overall than second hand cigarette smoke.

And seriously, dogs. Dogs have been known to kill.

Don't try and be logical. It won't help.

Forum List

Back