So What is the Purpose of Civil Marriage?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I can think of it right now, so maybe y'all can help me out? (Please specify the government's interest in whether people are married or not.)

I can think of it right now, so maybe y'all can help me out? (Please specify the government's interest in whether people are married or not.)

Not sure what government's interest is, but I know mine.

The average return on social security contributions is much higher for married people, for starters.

Then there's the adding of the spouse to health insurance rather than having to buy two policies, the right to speak on your spouse's behalf should they become unable to speak on their own behalf. Plus you get a 50/50 partnership in financial matters rolled into it.

In my state, as the husband of the mother of my son, I also have the convenience of presumed paternity. If we hadn't been married, I would have had to file extra paperwork asserting my paternity, which would have been a pain in the ass to do between bottle feedings and diaper changes.

There is also the issue of citizenship - if your father is a U.S. Citizen and your mother not, and your father is married to your mother - you are presumed a U.S. citizen (so long as your father met residency requirements).

So What is the Purpose of Civil Marriage?

Married couples are more stable, and likely to produce future taxpayers in the process. The state likes that...

Forum List

Back