Social Justice

We bother because our species uses words to communicate ideas. That does not mean the words do this effectively. What one person sees as justice may be completely different than what another person sees as justice.

For me it really becomes a question of what kind of society do we wish to have. Do we consider massive slums filled with underfed and disease ridden citizens with little or no hope of getting out as acceptable? That would certainly meet the definition of social justice for some, though not for others. So rather than deal with it as a question of justice, I would ask whether that is healthy for the society as a whole and I would offer that it is not.

If you think justice is a result and not an action, then you are already going down the wrong road. Massive slums are normally the result of corrupt government, which means injustice on a vast scale. However, the simple fact that 'A' has more than 'B' doesn't imply that any injustice has occured, but that seems to be what you are implying.

Not at all. I'm just saying that there are outcomes in society that, even though they might not violate anyone's rights, really suck. And I can certainly understand wanting to do something about that. The question is, should we bring the law to bear on the problem? I think it's a really bad idea, for many reasons.

But I don't think it's valid to write off the social justice movement as inherently malignant. The OP is correct in pointing out much of the good done in its name.

For my part, when the "socially just" decide what should be changed in society, I have no problem with them working to change what they feel is unjust. It's when they decide who should pay for their do-good, feel-good projects that I draw the line. That's the malignant part. And when they fail to generate enough support from the public to financially underwrite their social engineering, they turn to government to force the support they demand.

JFK in speaking about the economy once said.......A rising tide lifts all boats

Since the Reagan policies were enacted thirty years ago, The rising tide only lifts the yachts

Have you ever considered the fact that your thinking runs entirely along the lines of cliches and platitudes?

most of the descriptions attached to it appertain to impersonal states of affairs—“high unemployment” or “inequality of incomes” or “lack of a living wage” are cited as instances of “social injustice.” Hayek goes to the heart of the matter: social justice is either a virtue or it is not. If it is, it can properly be ascribed only to the reflective and deliberate acts of individual persons. Most who use the term, however, ascribe it not to individuals but to social systems. They use “social justice” to denote a regulative principle of order; again, their focus is not virtue but power.

“social justice rightly understood” is that it aims at the good of the city, not at the good of one agent only. Citizens may band together, as in pioneer days, to put up a school or build a bridge. They may get together in the modern city to hold a bake sale for some charitable cause, to repair a playground, to clean up the environment, or for a million other purposes that their social imaginations might lead them to. Hence the second sense in which this habit of justice is “social”: its object, as well as its form, primarily involves the good of others.

None of the activities in any of the above scenarios has to do with justice.

The first paragraph is an example of what it is not.

The second is an example of what it is.
“social justice rightly understood” is that it aims at the good of the city

In order for it to be a "social" issue that is looking for a social justice a public group has to be involved rather then a solitary individual.

If the question was do all social issues fall under the category of requiring social justice that could be a different discussion.

But my understanding of this thread was we are discussing what exactly is the difference between social and individual justice and not debating all social issues as needing social justice representation.

From my understanding, one of the distinguishing priorities of modern liberal/progressives is the desire to pursue "social justice" as a policy goal of government. In another thread, it was suggested that this term has been polluted by propagandists. I wasn't really aware that there was any dispute as to it's meaning, but the issue seems worthy of it's own thread.

So, what is social justice? How does it differ from ordinary justice? Is it something we should work toward as a society? Is it something for which government should be responsible?

Justice is justice. It doesn't require any qualifiers. whenever you add a qualifier to the term, you are referring to something other than justice. In other words, you are referring to injustice.

If you examine what the advocates of "social justice" are referring to whenever they use the term, it always involves violating the rights of 'A' for the sake of 'B.' It's a euphemism for organized plunder, and nothing more.

so·cial
/ˈsōSHəl/AdjectiveOf or relating to society or its organization

in·di·vid·u·al
/ˌindəˈvijo͞oəl/
NounA single human being as distinct from a group, class, or family.

In some instances a violation of the law affects the public as a group, but in other instances it does not.

In terms of social justice there would be a public issue if the law violation is towards to public as a whole which means collectively the public wants that justice addressed

It really boils down to if the violation is effecting the public or an individual.

The public will not take an individual's neighbor to court over his water being contaminated.

Hwoever, the public will collectively go to court if the public water fountains are being contaminated.

What you're really saying is that it depends on whether an individual is the injured party or the government is the injured party. However, the govenrment can only be in a position to be injured if it has already vaiolated the rights of indivuals. For instance, if someone pollutes a "public" stream, they have indjured the government because public ownership in reality always means government ownership. If government wasn't in the business of owning streams, then such "injustices" would never occur. Government userped the just social order when it arrogated to itself the right to own streams rather than allocating such property to private individuals.

We bother because our species uses words to communicate ideas. That does not mean the words do this effectively. What one person sees as justice may be completely different than what another person sees as justice.

For me it really becomes a question of what kind of society do we wish to have. Do we consider massive slums filled with underfed and disease ridden citizens with little or no hope of getting out as acceptable? That would certainly meet the definition of social justice for some, though not for others. So rather than deal with it as a question of justice, I would ask whether that is healthy for the society as a whole and I would offer that it is not.

If you think justice is a result and not an action, then you are already going down the wrong road. Massive slums are normally the result of corrupt government, which means injustice on a vast scale. However, the simple fact that 'A' has more than 'B' doesn't imply that any injustice has occured, but that seems to be what you are implying.

Not at all. I'm just saying that there are outcomes in society that, even though they might not violate anyone's rights, really suck. And I can certainly understand wanting to do something about that. The question is, should we bring the law to bear on the problem? I think it's a really bad idea, for many reasons. .

That may be the case, but the fact has nothing to do with justice. People can form charitable organizations to ameliorate such conditions, but the minute the government mandates some particular solution, it necessarily assaults the rights of a given group of people.

[But I don't think it's valid to write off the social justice movement as inherently malignant. Much good has been done in its name.

Such as?

Not at all. I'm just saying that there are outcomes in society that, even though they might not violate anyone's rights, really suck. And I can certainly understand wanting to do something about that. The question is, should we bring the law to bear on the problem? I think it's a really bad idea, for many reasons. .

That may be the case, but the fact has nothing to do with justice. People can form charitable organizations to ameliorate such conditions, but the minute the government mandates some particular solution, it necessarily assaults the rights of a given group of people.

[But I don't think it's valid to write off the social justice movement as inherently malignant. Much good has been done in its name.

Such as?

Midcan linked to some good articles in this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/277946-thank-a-liberal.html#post6799147

A lot of the 'achievements' are dubious in my view, but many aren't.

Justice is justice. It doesn't require any qualifiers. whenever you add a qualifier to the term, you are referring to something other than justice. In other words, you are referring to injustice.

If you examine what the advocates of "social justice" are referring to whenever they use the term, it always involves violating the rights of 'A' for the sake of 'B.' It's a euphemism for organized plunder, and nothing more.

so·cial

in·di·vid·u·al
/ˌindəˈvijo͞oəl/

In some instances a violation of the law affects the public as a group, but in other instances it does not.

In terms of social justice there would be a public issue if the law violation is towards to public as a whole which means collectively the public wants that justice addressed

It really boils down to if the violation is effecting the public or an individual.

The public will not take an individual's neighbor to court over his water being contaminated.

Hwoever, the public will collectively go to court if the public water fountains are being contaminated.

What you're really saying is that it depends on whether an individual is the injured party or the government is the injured party. However, the govenrment can only be in a position to be injured if it has already vaiolated the rights of indivuals. For instance, if someone pollutes a "public" stream, they have indjured the government because public ownership in reality always means government ownership. If government wasn't in the business of owning streams, then such "injustices" would never occur. Government userped the just social order when it arrogated to itself the right to own streams rather than allocating such property to private individuals.

What I am saying is social justice is defined in that it effects more then one party.

Social issues are issues a group experiences together.

If a group is seeking justice on a social issue the end result may be determined that the issue does not fall under a social injustice or maybe it does.

But social issues and social justice are two different things.

If the public is getting ill over contaminated water it becomes a social issue and if they seek for the government to clean it up and it's refused they may take it to court seeking social justice.

It has to be pointed out again that words such as these mean what we decide they mean, and that can change with time. At the time of slavery in the US, the justice system had no problem dealing with people as property. Society came to see that slavery was wrong and sought change. What began as a sense of social injustice eventually led to being codified in legal justice.

In modern nations, social justice seems to extend to things like higher education being more democratic, abject poverty being relieved, serious illness being communally helped, immigration being humanely dealt with, etc. Law may not deal with this, but the human sentiment of things being just does address it.

Of course, some fear abuse will take place, but many others feel that any abuse is acceptable in order for the rest of society to feel just.

social justice to the current crop of liberal democrats means getting even, taking from one and giving to another, punishing those who have more than they do-------unless of course the rich happen to be democrats, then its OK for them to be rich and evil.

the hypocrisy of today's left makes them look like a bunch of hyenas going through puberty in a briar patch.

so·cial

in·di·vid·u·al
/ˌindəˈvijo͞oəl/

What I am saying is social justice is defined in that it effects more then one party.

Social issues are issues a group experiences together.

If a group is seeking justice on a social issue the end result may be determined that the issue does not fall under a social injustice or maybe it does.

But social issues and social justice are two different things.

If the public is getting ill over contaminated water it becomes a social issue and if they seek for the government to clean it up and it's refused they may take it to court seeking social justice.

cleaning up dirty water is not what they mean by social justice, what they mean is taking stuff from one guy and giving it to another because the first guy's great great grandfather MAY have been a slave owner.

From my understanding, one of the distinguishing priorities of modern liberal/progressives is the desire to pursue "social justice" as a policy goal of government. In another thread, it was suggested that this term has been polluted by propagandists. I wasn't really aware that there was any dispute as to it's meaning, but the issue seems worthy of it's own thread.

So, what is social justice? How does it differ from ordinary justice? Is it something we should work toward as a society? Is it something for which government should be responsible?

Social justice is the belief in a magical formula where everyone gets equal results despite disparate effort and abilities.

Ordinary justice is justice that is rendered by law, which,in many cases, is not just at all. For example, many states allow convicted rapists parential visiting rights to the child thus created.

Social justice would never permit such a thing.

However, without the law, we have anarchy, so we are stuck with ordinary justice.

I'd really rather avoid the left/right nonsense in this thread, and focus merely on the concepts involved. In particular, I'm interested in the perceived differences between social justice and ordinary justice. If there is no substantive difference, why do we bother with different terms?

Ok.. Let me see....

Social Justice...

An attempt by society to correct the results of actions which were not illegal, yet had a perceived negative affect on people.

Social Justice requires that "The Rich" a general term not throughly defined, to pay into the tax system a much greater percentage of their income than anyone else. "The poor", again a term not throughly defined, are required to pay nothing and often times get money from the Government in a Reversed Tax format.

Social Justice, wihile proclaiming that everyone is "Equal" demands that women and non-whites are treated with special laws and protections that males and Whites do not get.

Social Justice is used to give those who broke immigration laws the chance to stay here because they managed to have a child born here.

Social Justice is used to demand that those who were brought here illegally while children, are given all the advantages of those who were born here.

Social Justice is used as an excuse to increase taxes on those few still paying taxes to improve the lives of those who do not work yet still have Flat Screen TV's and cell phones that the tax payer can not afford to have.

Ordinary justice is justice that is rendered by law, which,in many cases, is not just at all. For example, many states allow convicted rapists parential visiting rights to the child thus created.

Social justice would never permit such a thing.

However, without the law, we have anarchy, so we are stuck with ordinary justice.

That is the stupidest explanation of social justice I have ever read.

In fact, what you just described flies in the face of everything that social justice is supposed to be about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice

I'd really rather avoid the left/right nonsense in this thread, and focus merely on the concepts involved. In particular, I'm interested in the perceived differences between social justice and ordinary justice. If there is no substantive difference, why do we bother with different terms?

Ok.. Let me see....

Social Justice...

An attempt by society to correct the results of actions which were not illegal, yet had a perceived negative affect on people.

Social Justice requires that "The Rich" a general term not throughly defined, to pay into the tax system a much greater percentage of their income than anyone else. "The poor", again a term not throughly defined, are required to pay nothing and often times get money from the Government in a Reversed Tax format.

Social Justice, wihile proclaiming that everyone is "Equal" demands that women and non-whites are treated with special laws and protections that males and Whites do not get.

Social Justice is used to give those who broke immigration laws the chance to stay here because they managed to have a child born here.

Social Justice is used to demand that those who were brought here illegally while children, are given all the advantages of those who were born here.

Social Justice is used as an excuse to increase taxes on those few still paying taxes to improve the lives of those who do not work yet still have Flat Screen TV's and cell phones that the tax payer can not afford to have.

That's a pretty good survey of the ways "social justice" has been invoked, but I don't think the concept is exclusively corporatist in spirit. In years past it's been used to rally support for repealing unjust laws (Jim Crow) and tp raise awareness of unfair social biases.

Social justice becomes a problem (and in my view something that causes more injustice than it alleviates) when it's used to promote group rights over universal rights.

It does make me laugh that posters who are probably old enough to remember the Freedom Buses and lynchings seem to think white men need protection from non-whites.

It does make me laugh that posters who are probably old enough to remember the Freedom Buses and lynchings seem to think white men need protection from non-whites.

That's not the issue at all. The issue is that "special laws and protections" undermine the concept of equal protection in ways that will come back to haunt us (already are, actually). Corporatism is not a joke. It's serious, and mostly unnoticed, threat to the foundations of liberal democracy.

Forum List

Back