Social Security Discussion

Problem with con tools is that they simply regurgitate the line that they are supposed to. It is irrational, of course. But that is all they are capable of.
They want the private investment firms to get richer. Just the way they are. Nothing that they can do about it.

But most importantly, they think that the voting public should not have what they want. And there is no question to a rational person that the vast majority of the voting public does not want ss privatized. And there are few candidates in safe enough districts to try to push or vote for privatization. So they will not. And for that reason, the public will get what they want. And the con tools may as well bey at the moon. Because they and any politician who would try to privatize ss will be about as popular as a turd in a punch bowl.

Ask W.

You are grossly confused ass hole. ITS MY GD MONEY AND I'LL SPEND IT HOW I WANT TO YOU CAN JUMP OFF A CLIFF YOU PARASITE.

Again, for the second time, SS is HIGHLY successful. Before its enactment, around half our nation's elderly lived in poverty. As of today, less than ten percent live in poverty due to SS.

Do you plan on using Medicare? Or is that another program designed by parasites? What your plan? Roll the disabled or elderly into a corner and let them expire?

Our social safety net is anemic and yet reactionaries want to totally gut them due to some ideological fantasy. Historically, your version of the Unites States never existed.

Thank God in heaven.

Bull shit, parasite. You can't "remove" someone from poverty by stealing 600k dollars from them over 40years (never accruing interest) and giving them 2400 a month back after they are 65 and then saying, your welcome I removed you from poverty in your old age. What a sick person you are.

Last edited:
Bull shit, parasite. You can't "remove" someone from poverty by stealing 600k dollars from them over 40years (never accruing interest) and giving them 2400 a month back after they are 65 and then saying, your welcome I removed you from poverty in your old age. What a sick person you are.

The economic data says otherwise, but I'm starting to realize that doesn't matter to you. What's your plan for the indigent, disabled, and elderly? Again, for the third time, SS is social insurance, not an investment vehicle.

w10466.jpg

Social Security and the Evolution of Elderly Poverty

The authors estimate that a $1,000 increase in Social Security benefits is associated with a 2 to 3 percentage point reduction in poverty rates for elderly households. They also find no statistically significant effect of benefits on income inequality, suggesting that higher-income and lower-income elderly benefit similarly from increases in Social Security.

Applying this estimate to the change in Social Security benefits between 1967 and 2000 suggests that the increase in benefits can explain all of the 17 percentage point decline in poverty that occurred during this period. The authors also find that higher benefits lead some elderly to live independently rather than with family members, and conclude that the effect of Social Security on poverty would have been even more dramatic in the absence of these changes in living arrangements.

http://www.nber.org/bah/summer04/w10466.html

Last edited:

The economic data says otherwise, but I'm starting to realize that doesn't matter to you. What's your plan for the indigent, disabled, and elderly? Again, for the third time, SS is social insurance, not an investment vehicle.

w10466.jpg

The authors estimate that a $1,000 increase in Social Security benefits is associated with a 2 to 3 percentage point reduction in poverty rates for elderly households. They also find no statistically significant effect of benefits on income inequality, suggesting that higher-income and lower-income elderly benefit similarly from increases in Social Security.

Applying this estimate to the change in Social Security benefits between 1967 and 2000 suggests that the increase in benefits can explain all of the 17 percentage point decline in poverty that occurred during this period. The authors also find that higher benefits lead some elderly to live independently rather than with family members, and conclude that the effect of Social Security on poverty would have been even more dramatic in the absence of these changes in living arrangements.

Social Security and Elderly Poverty

All that chart shows is that the elderly are not living in poverty. You assume it's because of SS. My point is that if those "elderly" had been allowed to put their money in their own accounts in safe investments they would not only not be in poverty, but rather they would be quite well off, as in having 5times more income coming in than under SS.

But I understand if basic math escapes you.

Put the tax in a private account. No need to use general revenues.
The government will save trillions. Benefits will rise.
Win-win.

Privatizing SS would be another subsidy for Wall Street, which is why they would love to get their hands on it. It would a generate a about an additional 300 billion in fees and commissions for these guys. No thanks...

Also, even if some of these reactionary douche bags phased in privatization it wouldn't protect people from market downturns. The crash of 2008 would have robbed around 60% of retirement investors portfolios whether privatization was phased in switched over all at once.

SS is a great program and has kept many Americans out of abject poverty. We should increase benefit payments for retirees, not strip them of their economic rights through a disastrous privatization scheme.

Lies on lies on lies on lies. Not even one portion of your statements have even a small measure of truth.

Your ignorance is surpassed only by PMS and Matthew.

SS does not keep anyone out of abject poverty. NO ONE.

SS is a gross theft of our money.

I could be wrong on the exact numbers, but I recall reading a study many years ago that with SS, 10% of seniors live in poverty. Without it, that number would rise to 40%.

w10466.jpg

Social Security and Elderly Poverty

All that chart shows is that the elderly are not living in poverty. You assume it's because of SS. My point is that if those "elderly" had been allowed to put their money in their own accounts in safe investments they would not only not be in poverty, but rather they would be quite well off, as in having 5times more income coming in than under SS.

But I understand if basic math escapes you.

Well...maybe if you read the study I linked to, you'd have a better idea of how the study was conducted.

Here's a non-technical summary:

Elderly poverty in the U.S. decreased dramatically during the twentieth century. Between 1960 and 1995, the official poverty rate of those aged 65 and above fell from 35 percent to 10 percent, and research has documented similarly steep declines dating back to at least 1939. While poverty was once far more prevalent among the elderly than among other age groups, today's elderly have a poverty rate similar to that of working-age adults and much lower than that of children.

Social Security is often mentioned as a likely contributor to the decline in elderly poverty. Enacted in 1935, the Social Security system experienced rapid benefit growth in the post-WWII era. In fact, there is a striking association between the rise in Social Security expenditures per capita and the decline in elderly poverty, as Figure 1 illustrates (with both series scaled to fit on the same figure).

This association is investigated further by researchers Gary Engelhardt and Jonathan Gruber in Social Security and the Evolution of Elderly Poverty, (NBER Working Paper 10466). Using data from the 1968 through 2001 March Current Population Surveys, the authors first examine aggregate trends in elderly poverty then conduct a statistical analysis to assess the role of Social Security in driving the decline in elderly poverty.

The authors draw several interesting conclusions from their analysis of aggregate trends. First, when poverty is measured relative to median non-elderly income rather than relative to the official poverty line, the decline in elderly poverty ended in the early 1980s. Income inequality has increased markedly since then among the elderly and non-elderly alike. Second, poverty rates are strongly cyclical - rising during recessions and falling during economic expansions - for the non-elderly but not for the elderly, highlighting the protective effect of Social Security. Third, decreases in elderly poverty over time have been similar across age groups but larger for married couples than for other groups.

As the authors note, assessing the causal effect of Social Security on poverty is difficult. For example, individuals may work and save more when benefits are less generous, so a simple calculation of the increase in poverty that would result from eliminating Social Security income would likely overstate the true effect by ignoring these behavioral responses.

To avoid this problem, the authors construct a measure of Social Security benefits that depends only on the Social Security rules that apply to each birth cohort and not on workers' actual labor market experience. They examine the relationship between this measure and poverty rates for people born between 1880 and 1935. For some of the analysis, the authors focus on a narrower range of birth cohorts, making use of the sharp drop in benefits experienced by the "notch" cohorts of 1917-1921.

My point is that if those "elderly" had been allowed to put their money in their own accounts in safe investments they would not only not be in poverty, but rather they would be quite well off, as in having 5times more income coming in than under SS.

SS isn't an investment. Secondly, what is it with your obsession with privatization? It's like you want to give Wall Street another subsidy, thus creating another moral hazard. Hey, I guess they deserve an additional 300 billion in fees and commissions courtesy of Uncle Sam. They've committed massive amounts of fraud already, so fuck it, let's give it ALL to them. We can go back the the 19th century when America was America! We can reopen poor houses, debtor's prison, have a real feudal system. This.will.be.awesome.

Lastly, the elderly would have had 60% of their retirement portfolio wiped out if SS would have been privatized back in 2008. If SS is privatized, Wall Street will love it, because the federal government would have to them bail them out when losses start accrue with these privatized accounts.

Do you understand the purpose of public policy?

Last edited:
Bull shit, parasite. You can't "remove" someone from poverty by stealing 600k dollars from them over 40years (never accruing interest) and giving them 2400 a month back after they are 65
The person being removed from poverty by social security won't have made nearly enough money to have put in 600k.

Bull shit, parasite. You can't "remove" someone from poverty by stealing 600k dollars from them over 40years (never accruing interest) and giving them 2400 a month back after they are 65
The person being removed from poverty by social security won't have made nearly enough money to have put in 600k.

And there's that, but I sort of let it slide.:eusa_shifty:

FTR, as I stated earlier, I believe the nation would be better served by converting SS from it's current form of 100% Treasury obligations to a well diversified portfolio of a variety of assets. A few other countries are doing this, such as Canada, as have several sovereign wealth funds which act as repositories of national savings as sovereigns monetize their assets, i.e. oil. Even if SS doesn't look like a typical 60/40 equity/bond fund, annuity providers such as insurance companies invest their participants' deposits in risk assets such as commercial real estate, corporate bonds, and even up to 10% in stocks. This would be better than the current system IMHO.

I also believe that someone who has contributed to SS for a period of time, say 20 years, should be allowed to opt out of the system and use their proceeds to invest in their own account, as long as they can demonstrate some level of competence.

However, such a system should be compulsory for everyone. People simply flat out don't save enough. The argument against SS is that people who have to pay the 6% FICA tax would instead save that 6%. That almost certainly wouldn't happen. People generally don't have the financial literacy nor the wherewithal to save as much as they need in retirement. Some do, but many, if not most, don't. That's an empirical statement, not an ideological one. Without forced savings, we would just pay for seniors' poverty some other way, for example through higher welfare payments. It's best that we have a system that taxes people when they are young and pays them when they are old, even if the current system is a poor one.

Privatization would be a subsidy for Wall Street... ...all it would do is create a moral hazard, which Wall Street excels at.
This conversation reminds me of how the president said others lied when they disputed the promise of keeping our doctors with the ACA.

Words need to mean things, and we either use standard definitions or we're babbling incoherently. These are standard definitions that the world around us uses:
pri·va·tize (prv-tz)
tr.v. pri·va·tized, pri·va·tiz·ing, pri·va·tiz·es
To change (an industry or business, for example) from governmental or public ownership or control to private enterprise: "The strike ... was called to protest the ... government's plans to break up and privatize the deficit-ridden national railway system" (Christian Science Monitor).
priva·ti·zation (-t-zshn) n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

moral hazard
Noun 1. moral hazard - (economics) the lack of any incentive to guard against a risk when you are protected against it (as by insurance); "insurance companies are exposed to a moral hazard if the insured party is not honest"​

Over 80% of the U.S. economy is already privatized AKA in the private sector ---OK gov't debt is greater than private debt but I'm talking production. Subsidies are government activities so privitazation can not be a subsidy. Furthermore, a moral hazard is also a problem caused by government interference; it's what happens when the Gov't insures that people will be taken care of and Gov't bears the risks that private citizens should have.

SS is a subsidy that presents a moral hazard. Privatization ends the subsidy and it ends the moral hazard.

SS isn't an investment. Secondly, what is it with your obsession with privatization? It's like you want to give Wall Street another subsidy, thus creating another moral hazard. Hey, I guess they deserve an additional 300 billion in fees and commissions courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Then offer only passive options where fees are very low.

However, even if we don't, the real equity risk premium over Treasury bonds has been about 4% over time. If Wall Street charges 1% in fees, the participant is still better off over time.

FTR, all-in expenses for large public pension plans are roughly 20-30 bps IIRC.

Privatizing SS would be another subsidy for Wall Street, which is why they would love to get their hands on it. It would a generate a about an additional 300 billion in fees and commissions for these guys. No thanks...

Also, even if some of these reactionary douche bags phased in privatization it wouldn't protect people from market downturns. The crash of 2008 would have robbed around 60% of retirement investors portfolios whether privatization was phased in switched over all at once.

SS is a great program and has kept many Americans out of abject poverty. We should increase benefit payments for retirees, not strip them of their economic rights through a disastrous privatization scheme.

Lies on lies on lies on lies. Not even one portion of your statements have even a small measure of truth.

I could be wrong on the exact numbers, but I recall reading a study many years ago that with SS, 10% of seniors live in poverty. Without it, that number would rise to 40%.

I have read similiar opinions. But all those opinions assumed that everything else would stay the same. It wouldn't. Millions of people take advantage of tax deffered IRAs, 401Ks, and other savings/investment vehicles and other attractive savings plans when these are made available to them. Had I put all that social security money into such private, tax deferred investments when I first started paying social security, I would have been able to retire on a very comfortable income.

Yes there will always be the irresponsible who won't do it and who will end up penniless in their old age but those who would have no family or friend to move in with would likely be in very small numbers. And we as a society can decide what we will do about those. But I suspect, if we could change the cultural expectations of what decent, honorable, responsible people do, the poor would be in a distinct minority and we would have a tiny percentage of folks dependent on government.

I have read similiar opinions. But all those opinions assumed that everything else would stay the same. It wouldn't. Millions of people take advantage of tax deffered IRAs, 401Ks, and other savings/investment vehicles and other attractive savings plans when these are made available to them. Had I put all that social security money into such private, tax deferred investments when I first started paying social security, I would have been able to retire on a very comfortable income.

Yes there will always be the irresponsible who won't do it and who will end up penniless in their old age but those who would have no family or friend to move in with would likely be in very small numbers. And we as a society can decide what we will do about those. But I suspect, if we could change the cultural expectations of what decent, honorable, responsible people do, the poor would be in a distinct minority and we would have a tiny percentage of folks dependent on government.

I beg to differ.

I started my career as a stockbroker, and I was shocked at how little people of means saved. These weren't dumb people, either. They were usually educated people who made good income and lived in nice houses. (Poor people don't talk to stockbrokers.)

Even today, despite SS, people generally don't save enough based on their expected level of future income. If people truly had the will to save, they would live in smaller houses, drive older cars, and spend less generally. And the incremental amounts aren't much. Even saving an additional 2-3% each paycheck can make a world of difference. But they don't because they aspire to a standard of living today. Most can't conceptualize 20-30 years from now. If people have a hard time saving an incremental 3% under today's scheme, they sure as heck aren't going to save their 6% in FICA taxes plus the necessary incremental 3% on top of that. Instead, they'll save a part of the 6% and spend part, driving themselves further in the hole.

How are you so sure social security is so unpopular?
OK, you're absolutely right, SS is very popular. In fact, let's make it purely volutary and that way we won't have any more complaining from those one or two people that don't want it.

Seriously, even though the bonkers left always spits out their empty talk about this America-loves-SS nonsense, we all know that nobody but nobody would ever voluntarily sign up for it if they had a choice. That's why since day one any talk about a voluntary SS has always been considered an option that would end SS.

I really think if social security was voluntary quite a few people would not pay. Later in life they would be sorry. You might say and also be right that that was their choice. Do we want to live in a country of poor old seniors. Many would be living with their family hopefully. Do the younger family members really want this. Being close to 70 I can remember oldsters saying God bless FDR for programs like WPA and social security. These were people that knew really hard times.

...people generally don't save enough...
One person's anecdotes are nice but they're a poor basis for public policy. The total private net worth of all American citizens is $74,820,940,000,000 (from here) so dividing that equally by 313,914,040 (from here) tells us that America's average personal net worth is $238,348.50.

This is where the extreme left will argue that America suffers from an inordinate inequality of wealth and that most Americans are are too incompetent to care for themselves. Thus, the masses must be made wards of the state and supported by funds confiscated from the excessively rich.

While this line of thinking seems very popular these days, historically it's a recipe for disaster.

One person's anecdotes are nice but they're a poor basis for public policy. The total private net worth of all American citizens is $74,820,940,000,000 (from here) so dividing that equally by 313,914,040 (from here) tells us that America's average personal net worth is $238,348.50.
Median household net worth is a far more useful measure.

From Wealth and Asset Ownership - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau as of 2011:

Median household net worth: $68,828
Excluding equity in own home: $16,942

According to Haven't saved enough for retirement? What to do?

For people 10 years away from retirement, the median savings is $12,000. "Of the people between 55 and 64, one third haven't saved anything for retirement," Oakley says.

Clearly there is a bit more supporting the case that people don't save a lot than Toro's anecdotal experience.

Last edited:
SS isn't an investment. Secondly, what is it with your obsession with privatization? It's like you want to give Wall Street another subsidy, thus creating another moral hazard. Hey, I guess they deserve an additional 300 billion in fees and commissions courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Then offer only passive options where fees are very low.

However, even if we don't, the real equity risk premium over Treasury bonds has been about 4% over time. If Wall Street charges 1% in fees, the participant is still better off over time.

FTR, all-in expenses for large public pension plans are roughly 20-30 bps IIRC.

All valid points.

Wall Street is obsessed with getting their hands on SS $$$$. If they could manage a portfolio the size of SS, and charge their typical 1% fee, we’re looking at something in the neighborhood of $27 billion per year in fees/commissions.

This is why they peddle this bullshit that everyone will be able to magically grow their money past what they get from SS payments. Given the public hatred for Wall Street and the big banks, this option has zero chance of success. The idea can only be floated when the stock market performs well like during the initial term of the GWB.

When FDR created SS, he also create this nonsensical accounting system for what I can assume was political reasons. When we pay FICA taxes, this money is nominally put into the SS Trust Fund. When benefits are paid, that $$$ is nominally paid out of the SS Trust Fund. FDR’s logic being if people thought they were getting their money when they retired, people would naturally resist any cuts to SS, as opposed to other social programs (“entitlements”).

We live in this fantasy world where we believe that FICA funds SS. This has created a situation where the government’s bookkeeping entries for the SS Trust Fund will be less than what is being paid out in benefits. One idea is to increase the cap on income for FICA. Only the initial 113k is subject to FICA. This would increase the government’s spreadsheet for another 80 years before we run into another accounting problem.

However, once we understand the nature of non-convertible (fiat) money, the current need for an SS Trust Fund is out of paradigm. In the real world, SS isn’t funded by FICA taxes nor from the SS Trust Fund. Payments are made by the federal government marking up bank accounts.

We can fund it out of the general revenue and eliminate the SS tax which tends to be regressive. There's no need to have the government become defacto portfolio managers through diversification and investing in various asset classes. We could raise the minimum SS payments to 2k per month tomorrow if we wanted to.

Last edited:

From Wealth and Asset Ownership - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau as of 2011:

For people 10 years away from retirement, the median savings is $12,000. "Of the people between 55 and 64, one third haven't saved anything for retirement," Oakley says.

Clearly there is a bit more supporting the case that people don't save a lot than Toro's anecdotal experience.

But that is the result of a government that discourages private initiative and encourages people to look increasingly to government as the purveyor of all they will ever need. It is a cultural emphasis on "I want it now" and a failure to achieve a culture in which people do save and take responsibility to save for their old age. We can change our culture, however, and restore basic values if we have the will to do so.

The government helps with tax deferred IRAs and 401Ks etc. It could help more by providing other incentives to save - offer tax savings on money saved and spent after Age 65 or some such as that. Now it not only taxes those savings that you spend at regular rates, but if you have a lot, it also taxes you again on 80% of the social security that you have already paid taxes on. That is not the way to encourage people to secure their old age.

I have attended churches that teach the principles as a matter of spiritual priorities: use the first 10% of your income for the benefit of others; place the second 10% in savings to achieve liberty and not be tied down or beholden in the service of anybody but God, and then budget and live on the rest. Whether one is religious or not, it is an excellent concept and could be made the cultural norm. Peer pressure is a powerful thing.

Last edited:

But that is the result of a government that discourages private initiative and encourages people to look increasingly to government as the purveyor of all they will ever need. It is a cultural emphasis on "I want it now" and a failure to achieve a culture in which people do save and take responsibility to save for their old age. We can change our culture, however, and restore basic values if we have the will to do so.

The government helps with tax deferred IRAs and 401Ks etc. It could help more by providing other incentives to save - offer tax savings on money saved and spent after Age 65 or some such as that. I have attended churches that teach the principles as a matter of spiritual priorities: use the first 10% of your income for the benefit of others; place the second 10% in savings to achieve liberty and not be tied down or beholden in the service of anybody but God, and then budget and live on the rest. Whether one is religious or not, it is an excellent concept and could be made the cultural norm. Peer pressure is a powerful thing.

It all depends on where we want to go as a society. What type of society do we want want to live in? We’re a democracy so we get to vote on these things at the end of the day.

For the very wealthy, SS isn’t part of their retirement plans. Even the most incompetent CEOs of multinationals and investment banks receive massive compensation and platinum retirement plans.

For even those of us making even a few hundred thousand per year, SS will be part of our retirement plans. However, for the very wealthy, they don’t need or require SS, so they don’t care about the program’s future. They do care about their tax rates, though. In their minds, it’s in their best interest to push for cuts in SS rather than take a chance at a tax hike. This is also a result of the federal government's retarded accounting for SS, but that's another story.

Last edited:

This is where the extreme left will argue that America suffers from an inordinate inequality of wealth and that most Americans are are too incompetent to care for themselves. Thus, the masses must be made wards of the state and supported by funds confiscated from the excessively rich.

While this line of thinking seems very popular these days, historically it's a recipe for disaster.

Comparing the United States to the Soviet Union is Apples & Oranges. We're talking about the the dissolution of a massive state into fifteen states. Russia inherited the debts of the former USSR which is what precipitated the Russian default. The primary causes were regime change, loss of a war, a pegged currency, and foreign denominated debt.

Forum List

Back