Solar Power Destroys Miles and Miles of Desert

Oh elektra , so pessimistic
1) Yes, DIY stands for do it yourself not for energy self sufficient.
2) Well , actually you can use a solar distiler. One square yard of surface can distile about a gallon which is the amount of water you'll need to keep the panel clean. So yes , it is negligible : you'll sepend like 1 galon per month because of leaks in the distiler.
Your idea of Solar, is the biggest scam in History. You got your idea rapped around something that won't provide for life, literally. You can fix up your house all you want with these expensive luxury, but in the end, they got built with Oil and made people Billionaires. It ain't you who is going to save a dollar, a dime, or a bucket of Oil.

Do it yourself, that ended with the buffalo.

Why are you so upsest with the desert? Do you like big poisonous spiders and scopions? Go build yourself a shack out there and travel 20 miles to get a drink. You have this thing about California and it's pissing me off. All of California is becoming desert. You know that, right? You'll get your wish and live on pure cracked dirt. Not to mention your dumbass state will go bankrupt eventually, so you will feel it, while many are smart and getting out. You think detroit is bad just wait. But hey it's your own town. Live with it. I've been to CA many times.
Gee "Strawberry", you got you pink panty's in an uproar.

Yep, we will go bankrupt, and beings how California is too big to fail, guess what.

Most of the nations produce comes from california, what hurts us, kicks your ass, most Californians are Rich or on Welfare, and we know who pays for welfare, its not the state.

Be honest... Do you like whip cream or chocolate on your strawberries?
Strawberries are a low hanging fruit, not surprised, you suggesting whip cream.

Mam, I asked you are question and it is your responsibility to answer it.

Mam, I asked you are question and it is your responsibility to answer it.

Elektra is a record label you shithead.

Oh, I know it will go over your head, "strawberry", so I got to explain it. I was thinking of you when I picked this 45.

il_340x270.568645163_plhp.jpg

Southern California's Coast is not sunny, you ever hear of the June Gloom, which is actually 3 months of Coastal Fog? If is a big word.

DIY? You are not going to feed into the grid?

The amount of water used, during a 3 year drought, by 30 million people, is not negligible.

That water comes from the city, that water is pumped, there is no DIY, with solar. Solar relies on water, it is foolish to state water use during a drought crisis is negligible.
Oh elektra , so pessimistic
1) Yes, DIY stands for do it yourself not for energy self sufficient.
2) Well , actually you can use a solar distiler. One square yard of surface can distile about a gallon which is the amount of water you'll need to keep the panel clean. So yes , it is negligible : you'll sepend like 1 galon per month because of leaks in the distiler.
Your idea of Solar, is the biggest scam in History. You got your idea rapped around something that won't provide for life, literally. You can fix up your house all you want with these expensive luxury, but in the end, they got built with Oil and made people Billionaires. It ain't you who is going to save a dollar, a dime, or a bucket of Oil.

Do it yourself, that ended with the buffalo.

Hmm , well now that you have no arguments left, you start ranting.
Expensive luxury ? Oh my. Let me show you how expensive a solar distiler is.
bowlsolatrstill.jpg

One bucket big bucket, one small bucket a plastic sheet and a stone. How expensive is that ?

bowlsolatrstill.jpg

One bucket big bucket, one small bucket a plastic sheet and a stone. How expensive is that ?
Run out of arguments? You have ran about as far away from this OP as I have seen anyone. Dare I say, miles and miles. You should take a couple dozen of those cute toys to Death Valley and then post a pic after a month.

Solar destroys miles and miles and miles of desert, it is you who has ran out of, "argument".

bowlsolatrstill.jpg

Run out of arguments? You have ran about as far away from this OP as I have seen anyone. Dare I say, miles and miles. You should take a couple dozen of those cute toys to Death Valley and then post a pic after a month.

Solar destroys miles and miles and miles of desert, it is you who has ran out of, "argument".
Miles and miles sounds like a very big number, Ivanpah is responsible for only 5.5 miles of the aforementioned destruction.
Now think of how many desert miles have been lost due to the constructions of cities in the desert : El paso, Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix , Tucson , Albuquerque.
Denver alone would be responsible for the destruction of 1,244 square miles of desert. That's about 240 Ivanpahs put together.
So why the outcry ?

bowlsolatrstill.jpg

Miles and miles sounds like a very big number, Ivanpah is responsible for only 5.5 miles of the aforementioned destruction.
Now think of how many desert miles have been lost due to the constructions of cities in the desert : El paso, Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix , Tucson , Albuquerque.
Denver alone would be responsible for the destruction of 1,244 square miles of desert. That's about 240 Ivanpahs put together.
So why the outcry ?

Because Solar's share of $36 Trillion is 9,000 Invapahs. Now lets add the destruction of land that Wind will be responsible for.

Apple alone will destroy 5 sq. miles of the Carrizo Plains.
FriendsofCarrizoPlain1.jpg

The outcry is because it is all they got. There dirty fucked up energy source can't be logically defended!!! We could power our entire country with solar and one day do it for far less!
All we got, you have to use this "dirty fucked up energy source" to build 100,000's of sq. mi. of Solar Panels, now logically defend that!

Increase Oil Consumption to build Solar Panels which will all get burnt out by the sun, while telling us its free and lasts forever.

Because Solar's share of $36 Trillion is 9,000 Invapahs. Now lets add the destruction of land that Wind will be responsible for.

Where did you get that figure from?
That's about twice the GDP of the USA and enough to buy 80 solar cells per capita plus wiring plus batteries .

That's about twice the GDP of the USA and enough to buy 80 solar cells per capita plus wiring plus batteries .

It is a thread I created but I got the idea from a post in one of Matthew's threads, not sure if he made it or crick or old crock or even you, but someone linked to the report so I thought it would make a nice thread.

36 Trillion for Clean Energy IEA reports. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
IEA - International Energy Agency - affordable clean energy for all iea.org

Working together to ensure reliable, affordable and clean energy

It is a thread I created but I got the idea from a post in one of Matthew's threads, not sure if he made it or crick or old crock or even you, but someone linked to the report so I thought it would make a nice thread.

36 Trillion for Clean Energy IEA reports. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Oh , ok , that makes sense: it is distributed in a 35 years span, so it's like 6% of the gdp per year, and it would be distributed in wind, solar and fusion and subsidies. In the case of solar , given the lifespan of solar cells it would include the replacement costs of the first generation fo cells, it doesn't necesarily mean covering thousand of miles with solar panels.

Oh , ok , that makes sense: it is distributed in a 35 years span, so it's like 6% of the gdp per year, and it would be distributed in wind, solar and fusion and subsidies. In the case of solar , given the lifespan of solar cells it would include the replacement costs of the first generation fo cells, it doesn't necesarily mean covering thousand of miles with solar panels.
In your dreams, you did not even read it

And were we to cover the industrial and commercial roofs within the cities with solar, a large percentage of the cities power would be self supplied.

Yes, you dumb fuck, 36 trillion for the whole world spread over about 35 years. We will spend that on energy infrastructure during that period in any case. And that report was not just about government spending, but included private firms, like the money Apple is putting up.

Solar doesn't even destroy the environment like building a city within a desert certainly does. Solars foot print on the ground is tiny compared to the overall area it takes.
5 sq. mi of mirrors and panels is small, and that is just one Solar Plant and this is just the start, with $36 trillion dollars to spend on panels on free public land, you are simply a liar.

Yes, you dumb fuck, 36 trillion for the whole world spread over about 35 years. We will spend that on energy infrastructure during that period in any case. And that report was not just about government spending, but included private firms, like the money Apple is putting up.

Anybody that spends 36 trillion over 35 years on this is a dumbfuck. Just like you. :)

So the cost is $ 72 trillion with the infrastructure.

Apple just destroyed 5 sq. mi. of the Carrizo Plain. The desert is too expensive without an additional $36 trillion, for that total of 72$ trillion.

Apple is rich, like I said, Solar is an expensive luxury, Apple gets beat up over extreme profits and then bought off the Obama administration. Good Political move by Apple, nothing more.

Carrizo Plain Marks 10 Years as Colorful National Monument

630-1ChuckGraham_PronghornAntelope_IMG010.jpg

And were we to cover the industrial and commercial roofs within the cities with solar, a large percentage of the cities power would be self supplied.

That's simply not true unless you are in Arizona and similar places with little weather, and high sunlight energy.

Even so, currently solar panels just barely make enough power to meet or exceed the power used in their creation, and the costs per kWh, is still a hundred times higher than conventional power.

We'll know Solar Panels have finally arrived when the solar panel factories disconnect from the power grid, and can run exclusively on the power generated by their own product. Until that happens, I wager the idea of solar powered cities is still a long way off.

Of course you never know. A break through could happen right around the corner. But thus far, drastic increases in PV efficiency has come at massively highers prices. New Cadmium telluride photovoltaics, with high 40% efficiency, come with steep price tags, making them impractical for all but aerospace applications.

I doubt we'll be seeing cities covered in panels any time soon. Just my opinion.

Forum List

Back