Solar Power Destroys Miles and Miles of Desert

So your idea is to drive up the cost of all other forms of electricity and then force consumers to by solar and batteries?

Of course that ignores the fact that industry and commercial users will not have power.

It will be our homes that are saddled with the burden of expensive, solar.

Yes, in Spain, Solar caused the recession. They admitted as much while everyone else makes excuses.
Jajaja, no, I didn't say that !!!
Where did you get that stuff from ?

Ok. I use around 114 kwh per month
So by buying 2 solar panels which will yield about 64. kwh per month. I become energy independent.
Now , to the cost : 600 USD for the panels ( both )
My actual bill is near 13.5 USD per month so in 4 years I'll recover the cost.

So far so good, except I need to invest another 2400 USD for the batteries to have 24/7 electricity . So now It will take 19 years to recover the investment. Since the solar panel will have a usefull life of 20 years, at this point I'll have to buy another panel, so I am just at the break even price.

So as I said , the solar technology is ready. We still need to wait for cheaper batteries.
California's desert is fast becoming a Solar Wasteland, what was once pristine desert habitat is being replaced with Industrial Scale Solar.

Thanks to Obama and the State Government of California.

California solar projects plan undergoing major overhaul - SFGate

With billions of dollars in federal stimulus money in hand, the Obama administration set out five years ago on a grand experiment in the California desert.

The goal: Open public lands to renewable-energy development to wean the nation from fossil fuels.

The results haven't been pretty, a fact the administration has tacitly acknowledged by devising a new plan, expected to be released this month, to find better places to put industrial-scale solar farms in the California desert.

The solar plants were rushed through the environmental approval process. Miles of unspoiled desert lands were scraped and bulldozed to make way for sprawling arrays of solar panels. Desert tortoises required mass relocation, and kit fox burrows were destroyed. Surprise troves of American Indian artifacts found in the Mojave Desert were moved to a San Diego warehouse, where they remain.

And once it was built, the largest solar plant of its kind in the world - the Ivanpah installation in the Mojave - began igniting birds and monarch butterflies that fly through intensely concentrated, reflected sunbeams aimed at 40-story "power towers," according to a confidential report by federal wildlife officials.

Much is at stake. Several projects are proposed near the three big national parks of the California desert: a 23-square-mile wind and solar farm in the Silurian Valley near Death Valley; a 3,000-acre solar project at Soda Mountain near the Mojave National Preserve that would straddle a bighorn sheep corridor; and another project by BrightSource at Palen, near Joshua Tree NationalPark, that would be a bigger version of Ivanpah and be located in a bird migratory path.

Other conflicts are playing out elsewhere in the desert.

Brian Brown, fourth-generation owner of the China Ranch date farm, is one of the few residents of the Silurian Valley, a remote area at the southern end of Death Valley National Park that is the site of the proposed 15,000-acre wind and solar farm by the Spanish firm Iberdrola Renewables. The area is all but surrounded by federally protected wilderness and home to historic pioneer trails.

The Silurian Valley is "all big, long vistas and gorgeous purple and blue mountains," Brown said, views he believes will be destroyed by creating "a big industrial zone."

AS-I-2-15-13-135E.jpg

And all of this is just the beginning. We are forced to buy an expensive product literally created by the government.

I do not want Obama's and California Energy policy driving up the cost of food, which is what expensive Solar does in a state dependent on Electricity to pump water.

Destruction of the Desert and forced to pay more for food, while the Republicans created the EPA, now they need to create another Agency to protect the Environment from the Government

So elektra, do you get paid by the fossil fuel industry for starting all these anti-Green Energy threads or what?
And the fossil fuel industry hasn't created havoc to the landscape, water supply and skies of this Earth? I must of missed your thread on that subject.
Do you get paid to support wind and solar?

So funny, so many people just can not accept the truth. You guys consume extreme amounts of oil to build the world's largest solar plants and act like solar grows magically on trees.

Solar is a huge step backwards, nothing consumes more.

No, I don't get paid by and Green Industries.
My position doesn't involve eliminating any fossil fuel usage (although I do have a problem with the coal industry's pollution). My position, which I stated in another one of your anti-Green threads, is to use renewable energy to beef up the US's inventory of energy resources. This would make the US more self reliant.
It's that simple and is as simple to see as it is to see your anti-Green energy agenda.
Also, expanding this country's energy inventory gives people more of choice for their energy needs, instead of getting force fed fossil fuels.

So your idea is to drive up the cost of all other forms of electricity and then force consumers to by solar and batteries?

Of course that ignores the fact that industry and commercial users will not have power.

It will be our homes that are saddled with the burden of expensive, solar.

Yes, in Spain, Solar caused the recession. They admitted as much while everyone else makes excuses.
Jajaja, no, I didn't say that !!!
Where did you get that stuff from ?

Ok. I use around 114 kwh per month
So by buying 2 solar panels which will yield about 64. kwh per month. I become energy independent.
Now , to the cost : 600 USD for the panels ( both )
My actual bill is near 13.5 USD per month so in 4 years I'll recover the cost.

So far so good, except I need to invest another 2400 USD for the batteries to have 24/7 electricity . So now It will take 19 years to recover the investment. Since the solar panel will have a usefull life of 20 years, at this point I'll have to buy another panel, so I am just at the break even price.

So as I said , the solar technology is ready. We still need to wait for cheaper batteries.
California's desert is fast becoming a Solar Wasteland, what was once pristine desert habitat is being replaced with Industrial Scale Solar.

Thanks to Obama and the State Government of California.

California solar projects plan undergoing major overhaul - SFGate

With billions of dollars in federal stimulus money in hand, the Obama administration set out five years ago on a grand experiment in the California desert.

The goal: Open public lands to renewable-energy development to wean the nation from fossil fuels.

The results haven't been pretty, a fact the administration has tacitly acknowledged by devising a new plan, expected to be released this month, to find better places to put industrial-scale solar farms in the California desert.

The solar plants were rushed through the environmental approval process. Miles of unspoiled desert lands were scraped and bulldozed to make way for sprawling arrays of solar panels. Desert tortoises required mass relocation, and kit fox burrows were destroyed. Surprise troves of American Indian artifacts found in the Mojave Desert were moved to a San Diego warehouse, where they remain.

And once it was built, the largest solar plant of its kind in the world - the Ivanpah installation in the Mojave - began igniting birds and monarch butterflies that fly through intensely concentrated, reflected sunbeams aimed at 40-story "power towers," according to a confidential report by federal wildlife officials.

Much is at stake. Several projects are proposed near the three big national parks of the California desert: a 23-square-mile wind and solar farm in the Silurian Valley near Death Valley; a 3,000-acre solar project at Soda Mountain near the Mojave National Preserve that would straddle a bighorn sheep corridor; and another project by BrightSource at Palen, near Joshua Tree NationalPark, that would be a bigger version of Ivanpah and be located in a bird migratory path.

Other conflicts are playing out elsewhere in the desert.

Brian Brown, fourth-generation owner of the China Ranch date farm, is one of the few residents of the Silurian Valley, a remote area at the southern end of Death Valley National Park that is the site of the proposed 15,000-acre wind and solar farm by the Spanish firm Iberdrola Renewables. The area is all but surrounded by federally protected wilderness and home to historic pioneer trails.

The Silurian Valley is "all big, long vistas and gorgeous purple and blue mountains," Brown said, views he believes will be destroyed by creating "a big industrial zone."

AS-I-2-15-13-135E.jpg

And all of this is just the beginning. We are forced to buy an expensive product literally created by the government.

I do not want Obama's and California Energy policy driving up the cost of food, which is what expensive Solar does in a state dependent on Electricity to pump water.

Destruction of the Desert and forced to pay more for food, while the Republicans created the EPA, now they need to create another Agency to protect the Environment from the Government

So elektra, do you get paid by the fossil fuel industry for starting all these anti-Green Energy threads or what?
And the fossil fuel industry hasn't created havoc to the landscape, water supply and skies of this Earth? I must of missed your thread on that subject.
Do you get paid to support wind and solar?

So funny, so many people just can not accept the truth. You guys consume extreme amounts of oil to build the world's largest solar plants and act like solar grows magically on trees.

Solar is a huge step backwards, nothing consumes more.

No, I don't get paid by and Green Industries.
My position doesn't involve eliminating any fossil fuel usage (although I do have a problem with the coal industry's pollution). My position, which I stated in another one of your anti-Green threads, is to use renewable energy to beef up the US's inventory of energy resources. This would make the US more self reliant.
It's that simple and is as simple to see as it is to see your anti-Green energy agenda.
Also, expanding this country's energy inventory gives people more of choice for their energy needs, instead of getting force fed fossil fuels.
Yes, I remember, it's too bad you never actually take into account how big solar or wind must be to provide so little.

Diversify our energy? Solar and wind dies not do that. It does not produce enough and is dependent on increasing consumption of Fossil fuel.

I swear to god the plan of green energy is to use all the oil up, in manufacturing green leaving us an energy starved nation.

We should all own 20 green energy cars, drive each a quarter mile, get in the next, drive a quarter mile. You won't use any gas, hence it's not counter productive to use 20 when 1 could do the job.

I think each person should have their own supermarket, As long as it's green, no waste there.

Green energy, the biggest fraud in history, sold on the lie of agw.

Yeah and that's why China is soon to be the world's largest user of renewable energy.
Here's a link I posted in another one of tour anti-Green threads.
China Is Besting the U.S. on Renewable Energy - US News
I don't think China is that concerned with Global Warming.
You are such a small thinker, you really don't have the ability to look at the Big Picture. Countries around the world are investing in renewable energy because it's smart thinking for the future, we never have enough energy. If all hell breaks loose in the Middle East an energy crunch occurs. If you have alternative energy resources you are sure the hell better off than those who have all their eggs in one basket.
Energy experts from around the world know this, thus the growth of renewable energy. This has nothing to do with Global Warming. It has everything to do with energy.

Yeah and that's why China is soon to be the world's largest user of renewable energy.
You are such a small thinker, you really don't have the ability to look at the Big Picture. Countries around the world are investing in renewable energy because it's smart thinking for the future, we never have enough energy. If all hell breaks loose in the Middle East an energy crunch occurs. If you have alternative energy resources you are sure the hell better off than those who have all their eggs in one basket.
Energy experts from around the world know this, thus the growth of renewable energy. This has nothing to do with Global Warming. It has everything to do with energy.
Actually, you are a bit of late thinker,

China is going Nuclear, big, with our technology, transferred by Obama to China.

Honestly, you have not researched what you speak of, you are about backwards with all you state. Solar and Wind are not even a pimple on the ass of one nuclear power plant. China will be the strongest Nation ever, period. We will buy Solar and Wind from China, they will sell Nuclear Reactors to the World.

You my friend, are the "small thinker"

China Nuclear Power Chinese Nuclear Energy

Nuclear Power in China
(Updated January 2015)

• Mainland China has 23 nuclear power reactors in operation, 26 under construction, and more about to start construction.
  • Additional reactors are planned, including some of the world's most advanced, to give more than a three-fold increase in nuclear capacity to at least 58 GWe by 2020, then some 150 GWe by 2030, and much more by 2050.
  • The impetus for increasing nuclear power share in China is increasingly due to air pollution from coal-fired plants.
  • China’s policy is for closed fuel cycle.
  • China has become largely self-sufficient in reactor design and construction, as well as other aspects of the fuel cycle, but is making full use of western technology while adapting and improving it.
  • China’s policy is to ‘go global’ with exporting nuclear technology including heavy components in the supply chain.

You are worried about China "trumping" us in Green Energy while they build the most modern nuclear power infrastructure in the World, you are worried about Green Energy when in a few years China will be the World's largest exporter of Nuclear Power.

Your idea destroys America, literally.

Miles upon miles of useless desert being wasted by humans putting up solar panels or even all those useless power generating wind turbines. What we need instead is more coal or oil fired power plants making all that wonderful pollution we all adore so much.
That is a nice feeling, how much coal gets burnt up making 100 miles of solar panels.?

You can not hardly complain about coal when your solution is to destroy a land mass bigger than the entire state of Western Virginia and Pennsylvania combined.

China is going Nuclear, big, with our technology, transferred by Obama to China.

Honestly, you have not researched what you speak of, you are about backwards with all you state. Solar and Wind are not even a pimple on the ass of one nuclear power plant. China will be the strongest Nation ever, period. We will buy Solar and Wind from China, they will sell Nuclear Reactors to the World.

Nuclear Power in China
(Updated January 2015)

• Mainland China has 23 nuclear power reactors in operation, 26 under construction, and more about to start construction.
  • Additional reactors are planned, including some of the world's most advanced, to give more than a three-fold increase in nuclear capacity to at least 58 GWe by 2020, then some 150 GWe by 2030, and much more by 2050.
  • The impetus for increasing nuclear power share in China is increasingly due to air pollution from coal-fired plants.
  • China has become largely self-sufficient in reactor design and construction, as well as other aspects of the fuel cycle, but is making full use of western technology while adapting and improving it.
  • China’s policy is to ‘go global’ with exporting nuclear technology including heavy components in the supply chain.

Interesting.
Currently nuclear power accounts for 2% of China.s electricity, the anticipated growth by 2040 shows nuclear power accounting for 7% of China's electricity, Where as hydropower accounts for 20% of their electricity. Renewable energy will account for 35% of China's electricity by 2040.
That's hardly a pimple on China's nuclear facilities ass.
electrcity_generation_fuel_forecast.png

Nuclear Power in China
(Updated January 2015)

Interesting.
Currently nuclear power accounts for 2% of China.s electricity, the anticipated growth by 2040 shows nuclear power accounting for 7% of China's electricity, Where as hydropower accounts for 20% of their electricity. Renewable energy will account for 35% of China's electricity by 2040.
View attachment 36581
Coloring book pictures hardly tell the story of power in China. Seems that the Chinese do not agree with your optimism. Costs are a problem, yet Solar is so cheap and such a great source of power?

Small-scale solar stalls at China s city limits Nicholas Olczak - China Dialogue

Small-scale solar stalls at China’s city limits
Nicholas Olczak

China is failing to meet growth targets for small-scale solar energy generation as urban building owners struggle to justify installation costs

Nuclear Power in China
(Updated January 2015)

Interesting.
View attachment 36581
Coloring book pictures hardly tell the story of power in China. Seems that the Chinese do not agree with your optimism. Costs are a problem, yet Solar is so cheap and such a great source of power?

Small-scale solar stalls at China s city limits Nicholas Olczak - China Dialogue

Nicholas Olczak

China is failing to meet growth targets for small-scale solar energy generation as urban building owners struggle to justify installation costs

Subsidies ended in the European Union this year for wind and solar. Major wind power generation areas are now going massively over budget and the people will not pay the huge increases in power costs. Now begins the massive run on building new Coal and CNG plants while the wind turbines are beginning to be abandoned as they go bankrupt and their economies fail. It started 2 years ago and now its raging to get their economies back on track and be competitive again.

This collapse is going to be ugly...

You are worried about China "trumping" us in Green Energy while they build the most modern nuclear power infrastructure in the World, you are worried about Green Energy when in a few years China will be the World's largest exporter of Nuclear Power.

"Your idea destroys America, literally."

Do you have anything from experts not connected to the fossil fuel sector to back that comment up?

Even "W" an oil man agrees or I agree with him.
In 2007, President Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA), which responded to his “Twenty in Ten” challenge to expand alternative fuels and improve vehicle fuel economy. Although the President’s proposed alternative fuel standard would have gone further and faster than this legislation, EISA represents a major step forward in expanding the production of renewable fuels, reducing our dependence on oil, and confronting global climate change.
Energy for America s Future

Do you have anything from experts not connected to the fossil fuel sector to back that comment up?

In 2007, President Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA), which responded to his “Twenty in Ten” challenge to expand alternative fuels and improve vehicle fuel economy. Although the President’s proposed alternative fuel standard would have gone further and faster than this legislation, EISA represents a major step forward in expanding the production of renewable fuels, reducing our dependence on oil, and confronting global climate change.
Solar construction needs the largest amount of fossil fuel of any industry. It is about making people ric. Of course an oil man like bush supports anything that increases the use of oil.

Bush is greedy bastard except when it comes to solar?

A bit naive you are. Bush is a red flag.

Nuclear Power in China
(Updated January 2015)

Interesting.
View attachment 36581

Nicholas Olczak

Subsidies ended in the European Union this year for wind and solar. Major wind power generation areas are now going massively over budget and the people will not pay the huge increases in power costs. Now begins the massive run on building new Coal and CNG plants while the wind turbines are beginning to be abandoned as they go bankrupt and their economies fail. It started 2 years ago and now its raging to get their economies back on track and be competitive again.

Thanks for your input. However, I'd like you to take a look at this report. I fear that you fear too much.
Here's the link.
http://www.iea.org/Textbase/npsum/MTrenew2014sum.pdf

Solar construction needs the largest amount of fossil fuel of any industry. It is about making people ric. Of course an oil man like bush supports anything that increases the use of oil.

"A bit naive you are." :laugh:
You do know that solar energy is just one of several options for renewable energy,,right?
Also, I'm still waiting for you to prove "Your idea destroys America, literally."
So, you have really not proved a thing today.
Countries around the world are expanding their energy inventories by expanding their resources. That's a fact. If you were right, then I'm sure the world wouldn't be moving forward by expanding their energy resources with renewable energy. We also wouldn't being having this discussion.
I can't say anymore, facts are overwhelming on my side. You are now boring me. You want to be stubborn and ignore what's going on around you worldwide, well that's your problem.
Adios! :bye1:

"A bit naive you are." :laugh:
You do know that solar energy is just one of several options for renewable energy,,right?
Also, I'm still waiting for you to prove "Your idea destroys America, literally."
So, you have really not proved a thing today.
Countries around the world are expanding their energy inventories by expanding their resources. That's a fact. If you were right, then I'm sure the world wouldn't be moving forward by expanding their energy resources with renewable energy. We also wouldn't being having this discussion.
I can't say anymore, facts are overwhelming on my side. You are now boring me. You want to be stubborn and ignore what's going on around you worldwide, well that's your problem.
Adios! :bye1:
Post a fact or two, if you have all the facts.

250 billion spent last year, trillions more needed, great success, as Spain and brazil prove.

Do you know what oced, is?

Last edited:

Nuclear Power in China
(Updated January 2015)

Interesting.
View attachment 36581

Nicholas Olczak

Thanks for your input. However, I'd like you to take a look at this report. I fear that you fear too much.
Here's the link.
http://www.iea.org/Textbase/npsum/MTrenew2014sum.pdf

I am very familiar with the IEA and its biased reports. I am also familiar with the European markets and how they value things. Its called following the money. Now that subsidies are done the inability to compete in the open market is going to happen quickly. Last year alone 3,110 of the 5million dollar a piece wind mills were abandoned due to cost over run and high maintenance costs. That was in Germany alone. The failure is stunning and growing rapidly, a fact the IEA refuses to acknowledge.

Forum List

Back