Some Inconvenient Facts About Social Security

40 years ago?
He wanted to do it and AFAIK hasn't addressed what he said. Hasn't told us what he was thinking, if he changed his mind, when he changed his mind and why. You know, the sorts of things someone tells you when they own up to something they once did that they now think was wrong. Instead, he relies on his sycophants (you know who you are) to make excuses for him so he doesn't have to address anything he did.

Sunsetting means it ENDS, and had to be reaurhorized
Works for me. There should be very few things the federal government should not re-consider and re-authorize. Maybe defense spending, that's constitutionally mandated.

Republicans want to be able to hold SS hostage every five years

Unless you cut the following social spending we will allow SS to expire
And democrats want to make it impossible to EVER meaningfully cut ANYTHING from the budget so they don't want anything to be re-authorized. What's your point?

And democrats want to make it impossible to EVER meaningfully cut ANYTHING from the budget so they don't want anything to be re-authorized. What's your point?
The time to cut things from the budget is when the budget is approved

NOT by holding the Debt Ceiling and SS hostage to try to slash the budget after the fact

of course i am paying the tax

nobody is trying to deny you anything…but you should know, you have no “right” to SS.
Do I have a 'right' to the money in my savings account?
Damn right I do.
Same with SS.

NOT by holding the Debt Ceiling and SS hostage to try to slash the budget after the fact
And everything should have an expiration date so nothing becomes a permanent fixture.

Damn right I do.
Same with SS.
The trouble is, it's not your money. Your money was spent as soon as it was confiscated from your paycheck. What you have is a promise from the government that they will give you some of the money today's workers are putting in for their futures.

The trouble is, it's not your money. Your money was spent as soon as it was confiscated from your paycheck. What you have is a promise from the government that they will give you some of the money today's workers are putting in for their futures.
DO you think that I don't understand this^^^^^^^

Works for me. There should be very few things the federal government should not re-consider and re-authorize. Maybe defense spending, that's constitutionally mandated.
Keep your right wing hands off my fucking social security

Damn right I do.
Same with SS.
haha your savings account isn’t money that’s been taxed. It’s your money. The money taxed, isn’t your money it’s not the federal govts

Sunsetting means it ENDS, and had to be reaurhorized
Well you know that, and I know that, but FactCheck.org clearly didn't so would hire neither of us. That said, in FactCheck's defense, "sunsetting" and "ENDS" are clearly distinct words. In fact the word "sunsetting" doesn't even contain a letter "D." LOL.

I effectively buried my own lead, so I'm not surprised by your response. My intended point was that FactCheck was idiotically lying to itself, apparently in its stupid desperation to appear "nonpartisan." Again,

they say:
Under Point Six, which aims to shrink the size of the federal government, Scott writes, “All federal legislation sunsets in 5 years. If a law is worth keeping, Congress can pass it again.” Scott also writes that he would: “Force Congress to issue a report every year telling the public what they plan to do when Social Security and Medicare go bankrupt.”
Notice them dutifully reporting Scott writing "sunsets" along with "Social Security and Medicare" within the very same paragraph. Only one paragraph on, they state:
Scott never specifically mentioned Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid in his call for sunsetting
True, Scott neglected to mention "Medicaid" in that instance :rolleyes:

Otherwise, both Scott and FactCheck.org earned themselves five out of five pinocchios there.

40 years ago?
Biden himself, at least on his campaign website, now supports making Social Security more generous, not less. But that’s at odds with decades of his own advocacy, a record that could become a major political liability among voters concerned Biden will finally get his wish to trim back Social Security checks. Because about half of black seniors on Social Security rely on it as their primary means of support, any trimming of the program hits those beneficiaries particularly hard.

Over the years, Biden, in speeches and interviews, has often taken pains to let listeners know that he’s taking an unpopular stance, being explicit about the risk he knows he’s taking.

“One of the things my political advisers say to me, is, whoa, don’t touch that third rail,” Biden told Tim Russert on “Meet the Press,” while running for president in 2007.

Maybe they need to vote on every spending wish over $1,000,000?
Instead of dumping hundreds of pages at a time, take it or leave it?

To Jimmy Carter's great unsung credit, he was actually the first President to successfully f with Social Security.
It's clearly high time we f'ed with it again in similar fashion to keep it going strong for another fifty years or so without implementing any more major changes.

Maybe they need to vote on every spending wish over $1,000,000?
Instead of dumping hundreds of pages at a time, take it or leave it?

Members are free to challenge any expenditure…..and they do

Save for your own retirement if you don't like SS ... all SS is supposed to be is bare minimum ... rich folks don't depend on it, neither should you ... unless you want to live in poverty at the end of your life ... that's all SS will get you ... poverty ...

Don't want to pay the taxes, then don't have earned income ... stupid ... you should be running your income through capital gains which isn't taxed for SS, not one dime ... only middle class scum fill out schedule C ... grow up will ya ...
hank you for pointing out the problems and solutions.

Taxing ALL income
eliminating the upper limit

Problem solved.

The issue is really how SS is funded. There is a cap on the taxable income that goes to ss and medicare. Itsonl paid on the first$250000 you make in a year.

The working class pay fica taxes on 100% of their income. The wealthy barely pay 1%-2%

And its not enough, because there isnt enough new income to make up for people living longer and using more money.

They need to raise or remove the cap.

Devils advocate here.
Which rich?
Being a liberal I agree wholly with the idea that there are many ultra rich folks who do not pay their fair share of taxes. See Bernie’s example of a guy who pays a lower income tax rate than his secretary. That’s income tax though .

Wage earners, even those you may consider rich, pay their fair share as their taxes are taken like everyone else before anything even hits their accounts. They pay their 35 or 37 percent income and the max payroll tax.

Why should they be on the hook for a SS fix when they’re doing everything right?

There’s gotta be a way to raise revenue from those ultra rich who avoid taxes altogether.

Warren Buffett. "Bernie's" is I assume Bernie Sanders who pays taxes on his nearly 200K Senate salary. He doesn't pay less than his secretary.

Forum List

Back