Sonic and Chili's Get On the Bandwagon

Telling gun owners to stay out, does that include security guards and the police or are they completely hypocritical?

Myself I see no reason to carry but that is a personal choice.

And tell the gun lovers to stay out of their restaurants!

Chili’s and Sonic became the latest national chains to wade into the gun debate on Friday, announcing in apparently coordinated statements that firearms are no longer welcome in their restaurants.

“We recognize that the open carry of firearms creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws,” Ashley Johnson, a spokeswoman for Chili's' parent company, Brinker International, said in an email. “So, we kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue.”

Good for them for standing up to the NRA bullies!

At least they are only forbidding open carry. They aren't stupid enough to declare that they are gun-free zones as that is always a welcome announcement to criminals. I suppose by asking people not to open carry, but not banning guns, they are trying to appease both sides. They aren't saying firearms aren't welcome, they just don't want to see them because they know liberals are easily upset.

Chili’s and Sonic became the latest national chains to wade into the gun debate on Friday, announcing in apparently coordinated statements that firearms are no longer welcome in their restaurants.

“We recognize that the open carry of firearms creates an uncomfortable atmosphere and is not permitted under many local liquor laws,” Ashley Johnson, a spokeswoman for Chili's' parent company, Brinker International, said in an email. “So, we kindly ask that guests refrain from openly carrying firearms into our restaurants and we will continue to follow state and local laws on this issue.”

I feel much better now knowing I carry in both places.

Are you kidding? Sonic is a drive-in. As in, I'm in my truck. I'll have whatever I get the urge to in it.

Why else would someone feel the need to carry a gun into Chilis? Do they think they need to kill their own dinner?

Ask the 23 that died here.

Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have been afraid to eat out ever since?

I actually ate at that Lubys in Killeen after the massacre. Didn't feel the need to bring a gun

Yeah. I be the people that ate there that day said the same thing. Good thing someone had some sense.

Why else would someone feel the need to carry a gun into Chilis? Do they think they need to kill their own dinner?

Ask the 23 that died here.

Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually ate at that Lubys in Killeen after the massacre. Didn't feel the need to bring a gun

I bet your car was insured, why would you not want to carry a bit of insurance for your life. Just like an auto accident you're not likely to get face to face with someone with a gun but both happen. I posted where an armed former marine met an armed robber outside a store, didn't turn out good for the robber.

At least they are only forbidding open carry. They aren't stupid enough to declare that they are gun-free zones as that is always a welcome announcement to criminals. I suppose by asking people not to open carry, but not banning guns, they are trying to appease both sides. They aren't saying firearms aren't welcome, they just don't want to see them because they know liberals are easily upset.

Say it like it is Clementine ... say it like it is!!! :D

In honor of all this nonsense I might start carrying two conceal carries just for the heck of it. One in a shoulder holster and one in a boot holster. Heh heh heh.

No, they are not telling gun lovers to stay out. They are telling people who want to take their rifles to dinner that they can't do it there.

I have been a gun owner for over 35 years. I have had a CWP for 15. It would never occur to me to take a rifle into a restaurant. Of course, I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten in Chilis and Sonic in the last 10 years, but this is more about people wanting to show off than about anything else.

And the few times I have eaten at Sonic, I did so in my vehicle. It is none of their business what I have in my vehicle.

Last edited:
Some can't read or at the very least has a difficult time understanding the written word they did not tell gun owners to stay out but not to openly carry firearms in their restaurants big difference and I suspect the number that do openly carry firearms into restaurants is pretty small.

Telling gun owners to stay out ?

Okay, I'll do just that.

you as i will comply and choose to stay away

but

on the very first day

the bad guys seemed to enjoy the newest gun free zone

--LOL

Robbery reported at Sonic drive-in in central Topeka

No weapons were displayed during a robbery of a carhop at a central Topeka Sonic drive-in reported Friday afternoon, a police official said.

Lt. Jana Harden said officers were dispatched about 3:18 p.m. to Sonic, 2053 S.W. Western, on a report of a robbery.

The robbers were described as two black males about 17 to 19 years old, Harden said in a news release. One was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and white pants and was about 5 feet 9 inches tall and 180 pounds. The second wore a black hooded sweatshirt and white pants, stood about 6 feet 1 inches tall and weighed about 150 pounds.

Robbery reported at Sonic drive-in in central Topeka | CJOnline.com

In hunting season in states where the libs haven't outlawed hunting it's not unusual for folks to get an early start and stop in some little town for breakfast. Then they get the choice of leaving their rifles in the truck where some pimply adolescent needing something to sell for drugs can break a window or bringing them in with them.

Guess what they do?

Of course breakfast often turns into a lot of discussion of what's best for what sort of game.

Love to see a little breakfast place with a "no guns" policy try to survive in one of those towns.

Personally, I believe Sonic etc. should be able to ban any kind of person they want or believe to be a spreader of disease, gun toter etc. It's not as if some redneck is going to have to defend a car hop from a terrorist but at the end of the day unless you're a super duper dumb fuck redneck asshole then nobody is going to see the AR underneath your seat and so on. Pointless conversation really.

Well, of course, I have a different perspective on this.

When someone "kindly asks me to refrain" from an activity on their property, I respect that.

Their house, their rules.

I have no animosity against either establishment.

But Whataburger still has better sandwiches.

I bet your car was insured, why would you not want to carry a bit of insurance for your life. Just like an auto accident you're not likely to get face to face with someone with a gun but both happen. I posted where an armed former marine met an armed robber outside a store, didn't turn out good for the robber.

Good point.......I think your gun should be insured in case you decide to shoot up a Lubys or Elementary School

What do you think your premiums would be?

Forum List

Back