South Carolina schools may teach gun safety and training

And if I don't want my child to attend said class, or to ever fire a gun, or know anything about them?

And to what ages would you teach said class?

Then your kids should not sign up for this elective class. duh.
The fire the gun part is elective. The three week NRA study of the Second Amendment is not.

And what ages?

I think that's wonderful. The children should be taught about their rights.
You need three weeks to study the Second Amendment? And the materials for said thing should be from the NRA?

I have no idea where they will get the materials for their study of the 2nd Amendment. Got a link for this "forced study of NRA material"?
Right here:

"South Carolina lawmaker has proposed making local school students spend three weeks studying the Second Amendment using materials “developed or recommended” by the NRA, reports CarolinaLive."
South Carolina lawmaker wants high schools to spend 3 weeks teaching NRA class on guns

Well, what would you say to parents who feel that way about sex education?
I would say that in nearly all cases your child will have sex, even if only with themselves, so we strongly recommend that they attend but it's your child so it's your call. However, no child needs to fire a gun, ever.

Your child could choose to own a gun when he or she is old enough. Teaching the children gun safety is certainly not harmful, but helpful. If they ever happen upon a gun, they would know how to handle it safely or not to handle it at all because they would realize that it can be dangerous and that it is not just a toy.
His version of gun safety means let's go the range and fire guns. How about yours?

And guns in America are treated as toys, deadly toys for immature boys.

I highly doubt that the kids will be going to the range with guns anyway. Lol!
That is not an answer. Does a Gun Safety class including firing guns, yes or no?

According to the OP, yes it will include going to the range. That is not all it will include, but it will be part of the class.

Perhaps 7 or 8 for today. You tried 13 yesterday. So my numbers are fine, if approximate.

Which answer has been wrong> I gave you the basic gun safety rule that had been violated for each example. All would have prevented the injury or death.
I used only one example from that list. And then the toddler shoots mommy. and then six so far today. That's eight, not 20.

And you never could explain why a 9-year-old can't fire an Uzi?

You posted a link with a list of 12 examples (although the title claimed 13) plus the 9 year old with the Uzi. I answered them all.
Yes you did, but I never asked you to now did I?

You didn't specify. I made the claim that following basic gun safety would prevent accidental shooting deaths. You claimed to be able to refute that, but didn't want to do so. So I said my claim still stands. Then you posted "No, it doesn't. Start here: 13 of the Most Tragic and Horrifying Gun Accidents in 2014 Alternet".

So it was pretty easy to see you offered all 13 (12) up in the hopes one would work. They didn't.
The start here part was to show a rational person, not you in this case, that accidents with guns will always happen, even when the rules are followed. I used only one example from said list, and you have yet to be able to tell us what rules were broken in said case.

Sorry, but he seems to be the rational one in this discussion. You seem to have an irrational fear of an inanimate object.

I would say that in nearly all cases your child will have sex, even if only with themselves, so we strongly recommend that they attend but it's your child so it's your call. However, no child needs to fire a gun, ever.

Your child could choose to own a gun when he or she is old enough. Teaching the children gun safety is certainly not harmful, but helpful. If they ever happen upon a gun, they would know how to handle it safely or not to handle it at all because they would realize that it can be dangerous and that it is not just a toy.
His version of gun safety means let's go the range and fire guns. How about yours?

Really? Care to show where I said anything of the kind?

And would you like to show where any gun safety class teaches that guns are toys?
So, you're okay with a Gun Safety class in which the kids do not fire a gun? And how long would that take because that could be done in 20 minutes then.

The article in the OP stated that the kids would be taken to a local gun range for the actual shooting part of the class. I am fine with that.
That is not an answer. Are you okay with a Gun Safety class in which guns are never fired?

The fire the gun part is elective. The three week NRA study of the Second Amendment is not.

And what ages?

You need three weeks to study the Second Amendment? And the materials for said thing should be from the NRA?

I have no idea where they will get the materials for their study of the 2nd Amendment. Got a link for this "forced study of NRA material"?
Right here:

"South Carolina lawmaker has proposed making local school students spend three weeks studying the Second Amendment using materials “developed or recommended” by the NRA, reports CarolinaLive."
South Carolina lawmaker wants high schools to spend 3 weeks teaching NRA class on guns

Good news! :D Our rights are very important, and the children should know their rights. I never learned much about my rights in school. I really think the schools should start talking more about it.

That is not an answer. Does a Gun Safety class including firing guns, yes or no?

According to the OP, yes it will include going to the range. That is not all it will include, but it will be part of the class.
You seem to be unable to answer this simple question. Does a Gun Safety class including firing guns and is the class itself optional?

And what ages?

Right here:

These are two different topics. That is why, in the article you linked, it said "Clemmons also supports proposed legislation that would allow schools to offer a semester-long course on firearm safety that would take kids out of the classroom and onto shooting ranges. That class would also focus on the history of guns and gun rights."

Separate legislation. Separate topics.

Really? That sounds like an expensive class!!!

And what ages?

Right here:

Good news! :D Our rights are very important, and the children should know their rights. I never learned much about my rights in school. I really think the schools should start talking more about it.
Well if the NRA can teach guns you should have no problems with Playboy or Planned Parenthood teaching sex.

You seem to be unable to answer this simple question. Does a Gun Safety class including firing guns and is the class itself optional?

Why would you NOT want your child to learn how to properly handle a gun? What if your child happened upon one, out the in woods while playing, over a friend's house? Wouldn't you rather they realize the deadly potential of the weapon, or to be ignorant of it and perhaps look at it as if it were a toy?

Basically, you are saying that you would rather your child remain ignorant.

And what ages?

Right here:

These are two different topics. That is why, in the article you linked, it said "Clemmons also supports proposed legislation that would allow schools to offer a semester-long course on firearm safety that would take kids out of the classroom and onto shooting ranges. That class would also focus on the history of guns and gun rights."

Separate legislation. Separate topics.
Once again you fail to answer the questions. You need three weeks to study the Second Amendment? And the materials for said thing should be from the NRA?

Right here:

Well if the NRA can teach guns you should have no problems with Playboy or Planned Parenthood teaching sex.

Planned parenthood DOES teach about responsible sex. I wouldn't even bother to respond about the Playboy comment. Playboy magazine is NOT an educational material, or least not for kids in the classroom. Lol.

Well, what would you say to parents who feel that way about sex education?

I believe that more appropriate skills should be :

1- learning how to fill out forms to apply for welfare;
2- learning how to recognize the ideal welfare state candidate
3- learning that tyranny is better than freedom

Your question was answered in the link in the OP (almost 50 pages ago).

From that linked article: "The second bill, being proposed in the Senate, would offer an optional gun safety or gun marksmanship course to students, though at an off-campus location."

So yes, it is optional and yes they go to a gun range.

Why would you NOT want your child to learn how to properly handle a gun? What if your child happened upon one, out the in woods while playing, over a friend's house? Wouldn't you rather they realize the deadly potential of the weapon, or to be ignorant of it and perhaps look at it as if it were a toy?

Basically, you are saying that you would rather your child remain ignorant.
The rules are very simple - see a gun, don't not "handle" it, and run for your life. That is all the Gun Safety any child needs in this day and age. Got it?

Last edited:
The article in the OP stated that the kids would be taken to a local gun range for the actual shooting part of the class. I am fine with that.

Really? And IF a kid gets shot while at the range, who will be responsible? The NRA? Aren't they conducting the class?
OR were the parents asked to sign an agreement that the parent wouldn't hold anyone responsible if their kid was accidentally shot?

I believe that more appropriate skills should be :

1- learning how to fill out forms to apply for welfare;
2- learning how to recognize the ideal welfare state candidate
3- learning that tyranny is better than freedom

Lol! Yeah, that sounds like what some of the left would like the children to learn about. And MMMM-MMMMM Obama!! :p

Really? That sounds like an expensive class!!!
Yes, it will be, but I'm sure the NRA would be happy to pay. It fits their agenda perfectly.

Right here:

Does Playboy have 100 years of experience teaching sex ed?

Your question was answered in the link in the OP (almost 50 pages ago).

From that linked article: "The second bill, being proposed in the Senate, would offer an optional gun safety or gun marksmanship course to students, though at an off-campus location."

So yes, it is optional and yes they go to a gun range.

That sounds like the best and most interesting class in school! I would totally take that class. :D

Forum List

Back