South Carolina schools may teach gun safety and training

The educational priorities are upside down if gun education trumps arts education.

Educators agree with gusto that arts education is necessary for the intellectual well being of students in every grade. Arts education helps deal with leadership skills, conflict resolution and upward social mobility. In other words, arts education accomplishes much of what we expect from general education.

Inculcating students in the gun culture is all well and good so long as actual education isn't the sacrificial lamb in the bargain.
Bullshit
Gun education inculcates respect for others, sportsmanship and personal responsibility. All of those will also achieve your dubious statements about arts education.
Are you suggesting then that arts education be eliminated so further gun culture inculcation can happen?
No. Are you fucking stupid you can't read and understand a post?
I'm sorry. I was cleaning a gun at the time.
How many people regret paying thousands for a useless liberal arts degree.
Do you know the difference between a Liberal Arts degree and arts education? Do you think that the word "Liberal" attached to the Liberal Arts degree connotes some political affiliation?

Sure. I think gun safety should be optional though as many kids probably won't have to deal with guns in their lives. They all have a penis or vagina though.
Why do you want children to remain ignorant to the dangers of firearms?
I can't recall ever hearing you say that guns are in the least bit dangerous. I was under the impression you saw guns as inanimate objects and therefore free of any danger in and of themselves.

Bullshit
Gun education inculcates respect for others, sportsmanship and personal responsibility. All of those will also achieve your dubious statements about arts education.
Are you suggesting then that arts education be eliminated so further gun culture inculcation can happen?
Do you know the difference between a Liberal Arts degree and arts education? Do you think that the word "Liberal" attached to the Liberal Arts degree connotes some political affiliation?
I know thousands that received them either are regretting spending thousands for nothing.

How exactly would this work? Would schools have to hire dozens of firearm instructors? Surely you don't want one instructor teaching a class of ~25 students. Kids do dumb things in large numbers.

Sure. I think gun safety should be optional though as many kids probably won't have to deal with guns in their lives. They all have a penis or vagina though.
I can't recall ever hearing you say that guns are in the least bit dangerous. I was under the impression you saw guns as inanimate objects and therefore free of any danger in and of themselves.
An unloaded gun is an expensive paper weight.

How exactly would this work? Would schools have to hire dozens of firearm instructors? Surely you don't want one instructor teaching a class of ~25 students. Kids do dumb things in large numbers.
Plenty of retired military would prolly volunteer as instructors.

Lol, so you think teaching gun safety would include every student needing a gun in hand? You are clueless aren't you?

Lol, so you think teaching gun safety would include every student needing a gun in hand? You are clueless aren't you?
So you are going to have one gun per class of students? Not going to get a lot accomplished.

I know thousands that received them either are regretting spending thousands for nothing.
I don't know thousands of folks with Liberal Arts degrees. And I seriously doubt you do too. But I do know folks who have benefitted from the broad spectrum of knowledge one is exposed to while seeking and earning a Liberal Arts degree.

Teaching gun safety and training in school is an obviously good thing to do. (Obvious to all except the leftists who want to keep people ignorant, defenseless and terrified.) It is decision that should be made (and paid for) at the local level, possibly as high as at a state-govt level.

Nothing could be clearer from our last dozen or more years of experience as a nation, than the fact that government (state and local police) is inadequate to keep individual citizens safe. Criminals always find ways to evade the police and zero in on the citizen. And if he knows the citizens are unarmed, there is nothing left to stop him from assaulting, robbing, or raping. The citizen is the only one who is there at the scene of the crime every time. The citizen is the last (often the only) line of defense against the common criminal. Disarming him makes no sense.

And society benefits directly from making sure the citizen is familiar with the weapon he needs, trained in its safe and effective use, and unafraid to use it when needed. Gun safety and training in school is every bit as important as training in readin', writin', and 'rithmetic. And there is no batter way to make sure the citizen is able to deal with the crime that will come his way... and to make sure the criminal knows the citizen is ready.

The 2nd amendment includes a justification for why it's part of the Law of the Land. It points out that an armed and capable populace (that's what a militia is) is necessary for security and freedom. Can anybody name a better way of making sure the populace is armed and capable, than gun safety and training in local schools?

So guns are dangerous now?
You did not answer the question.
I really don't care one way or the other. I'm not passionate about guns one way or the other. I know gun nuts think that everyone who isn't a fellow gun nut are anti-gun, I really just don't give a fuck anymore.

Indeed.
There need not be ANY guns present to teach gun safety.

An unloaded gun is an expensive paper weight.
Sounds like a bumper sticker. Maybe that can supplant classroom time spent teaching something that can be distilled to a catch phrase.

You did not answer the question.
I really don't care one way or the other....
You don't care that children remain ignorant to the dangers of firearms? Why?
Because a very small percentage of them will be affected by firearms.
And so... they should ALL remain ignorant?
If it saves the life of just one child, isn't it worth it?

Forum List

Back