Spill, baby spill....42,000 gallons a day

Hey Old Fraud,

Yes we use up that much oil....but you conveniently leave out the fact that we produce more then most of the world combined. Only China is approaching what we produce and only because our companies have left the USA (thanks to moronic govt. regs) to produce there.

You clowns allways leave out the most important facts. I remember well a failure analysis engineer at Raytheon giving my buddy (also a FAE) a hard time because he had bought a Corvette. The idiot tells my friend that "you know Volvo's (the idiots choice of car) are a lot safer in an accident" with a real pompous tone of voice...kind of like you use. So my friend asks the million dollar question...so what's the average speed of accident in a Volvo compared to the average speed of accident in a Corvette? Of course nimrod didn't know. So my friend says...well it's 35 in a Volvo and 105 in a 'Vette you idiot! Of course the survival rate is better in a Volvo when you leave out THE critical piece of information!!!!!!!

Like you guys allways do.....

Xenophone, we have 3% of the worlds oil reserves, we use 25% of the worlds oil. Is there something that you don't understand about those figures? No matter how much we drill, we will not attain energy independence as long as petroleum is our main source of energy for transportation.

This oil spill is not only going to make a big differance, it is going to change the political climate concerning drilling offshore.

The solution is simple........if the oil companies want to drill, they need to install a 500,000 dollar sonic shutoff valve.

It's what Norway requires for drilling off of their shores, and what they REQUIRE for safety purposes. Yes, there are ways that it can be done safely and efficiently.

However..........

Bush Jr. and Cheney lifted many of the restrictions for off shore drilling. One of them was taking out the requirement for sonic shutoff valves. I hardly think that saving a half a million on costs is worth the damage done if something goes wrong, like this one did.

If they are going to allow it, they're going to have to reinstate some of the restrictions. Period.

Besides, saving 500,000 to make 5.6 BILLION in profit is kind of a waste, when you consider the billions that cleaning this mess up is going to cost.

Got news for ya, Obama opened up even more areas to offshore drilling....

Environmental Groups Decry Obama Plan to Lift Moratorium on Offshore Drilling

So as I said its not a left/right thing. Thats just the show for us to bicker over...

The solution is simple........if the oil companies want to drill, they need to install a 500,000 dollar sonic shutoff valve.

It's what Norway requires for drilling off of their shores, and what they REQUIRE for safety purposes. Yes, there are ways that it can be done safely and efficiently.

However..........

Bush Jr. and Cheney lifted many of the restrictions for off shore drilling. One of them was taking out the requirement for sonic shutoff valves. I hardly think that saving a half a million on costs is worth the damage done if something goes wrong, like this one did.

If they are going to allow it, they're going to have to reinstate some of the restrictions. Period.

Besides, saving 500,000 to make 5.6 BILLION in profit is kind of a waste, when you consider the billions that cleaning this mess up is going to cost.

Let's put that into perspective:

Five-hundred thousand dollars is to $5 billion as 5 dollars is to $50,000.

However..........

So as I said its not a left/right thing. Thats just the show for us to bicker over...

Obama did that as a peace offering to the Republicans. However, before he did that, he should have REINSTATED THE RESTRICTIONS TAKEN OUT BY BUSH JR.

However..........

Or.......to put it another way........a cheap lunch of a hotdog and a soda, compared to your entire yearly income if you're middle class.

Disgraceful, ain't it?

However..........

Or.......to put it another way........a cheap lunch of a hotdog and a soda, compared to your entire yearly income if you're middle class.

Disgraceful, ain't it?

Yeah.

But on the other hand, $500,000 is maybe two brand new Bentleys or maybe a condo for the mistress.

Yeah.......2 cars and a condo are MUCH more important than a whole fucking shore line.

Know what I'd like to see? The Wasilla Chihuahua over in the gulf, cleaning up animals and helping to clean up the spill.

Only THEN would she get credibility back. And, she'd have to do it for a whole week.

Yeah.......2 cars and a condo are MUCH more important than a whole fucking shore line.

Know what I'd like to see? The Wasilla Chihuahua over in the gulf, cleaning up animals and helping to clean up the spill.

Only THEN would she get credibility back. And, she'd have to do it for a whole week.

She's been uncharacteristically quiet this past week or so. I wonder what's up with that.

However..........

Obama did that as a peace offering to the Republicans. However, before he did that, he should have REINSTATED THE RESTRICTIONS TAKEN OUT BY BUSH JR.

PEACE OFFERING???? gimme a break for what? He didn't need to make nay peace offerings they have a near unstoppable majority..... He wouldn't do something so opposite his so-called party position just to "make nice"..
And even IF he did, what kind of candy-ass does that make him? THe point still remains the same....

No matter what the clean up costs, BP and the owner of the rig will pay for it just like after the Exxon-Valdez.....

Okay, it is time.... oil occurs naturally on this planet. Currently we use it for energy and to manufacture products. If you don't support using oil, stop buying products made from it. Buy products made locally so you are not adding to the transportation costs. Doing this will 'reduce' the demand for oil, less drilling will take place. If you truly believe that we can live without oil, then, lead by example. (Before we used petroleum oil, we used.....whale oil)

Oil spills. Oil spills occur naturally, also. "Tarpits" are an example of where oil is 'spilled', naturally, on the surface of the ground. There are also oil 'spills' under the ocean when 'some' underwater earthquakes allow a pocket of oil a path into ocean water. There is 'scientific' evidence this has been occurring for thousands of years. There is no way to stop it. The amount of oil 'leaking' or 'spilling' (if you prefer) has been reduced by man's use of the wonderous substance. In a sense, we have saved thousands of animals from being trapped in spills that would have occurred naturally, if we had not tapped that source and used the oil to help build a nation and a world.
Yes, it is ugly. Can you imagine what New Orleans or NYC would be like without fossil fuels providing energy to pump out sewage and bring in 'clean' water?
If you are sincere about 'getting off of oil', please lead the way and keep us posted on how that is working for you. If it works for you, many will join you, if it works for them, many more will join them, and in 'no time' we will not be 'oil dependent'. Thanks for taking the lead.

OK, dumb fuck, what I propose is that all the petroleum producers in the US, and all oil imported, have a tax put on them and the imported oil, to pay for the damage done and loss of revenue in the fishing and tourist industry.

But keep on the ugly path you are on, minimilize the damage, insist that the people losing their livelihood are losers anyway. It will all be remembered in coming elections.

Time for a national policy aimed at terminating our use of fossil fuel, period. The technology exists to move to alternatives in a decade, if we decide to do so. And it will be far cheaper that the cost of continueing to depend on fossil fuels.

Way to lead the way Old rocks! Vote in bullies to beat up others, that are trying to make a livelyhood from supplying energy (those big bosses hire lots of 'little' guys to do the dangerous work). That will show us how to become 'energy independent'. I think they already have your policy in place in the middle east. Are you suggesting we buy camels (for transportation) and burn their shit for cookfires?

...what I propose is that all the petroleum producers in the US, and all oil imported, have a tax put on them and the imported oil, to pay for the damage done and loss of revenue in the fishing and tourist industry.

Not a bad idea. Even a .1% assessment would generated tens of millions of dollars in a very short time.

So .... where do all those gas taxes go.....??? Could it be to the .... politicians??

PEACE OFFERING???? gimme a break for what? He didn't need to make nay peace offerings they have a near unstoppable majority..... He wouldn't do something so opposite his so-called party position just to "make nice"..
And even IF he did, what kind of candy-ass does that make him? THe point still remains the same....

He's been looking for a way to get bipartisanship. He offered this as an olive branch to try to get the GOP to work for the people rather than be the party of no.

Try again you sperm burping cum dumpster.

I have a couple of things that I'd like to say about this thread and some of the people that have so graciously shared their thoughts, or lack there of, with us.

1) Our two party system has reached a point where it is not possible for us, as a country, to fix anything. Every event that occurs in this country is over politicized to the point where we can not amicably develop a solution and execute it. Take for instance this tragic incident that has occurred in the Gulf of Mexico for which this thread was developed. The subject of this thread alone is politicized and biased. We have a major oil incident that is threatening to destroy an entire ecosystem in a body of water that almost serves as the countries entire seafood industry and we can't even discuss it respectfully in a message board. Regardless of who(m) is at fault, they will pay for this incident, and the communities along the gulf coast will begin to clean up and hopefully will be able to rebuild their local economies.

2) Whether you support oil or not; it is here to stay. The world as a whole runs off of oil and that is not going to change. A large majority of the worlds products are developed from oil, either directly or in-directly. Man kind is not at a point in which we have the technology to develop alternative energy or an alternative to oil as a whole and be able to mass produce it. We are still in the industrial age. Yes, we have come a long way since its beginning, but we have not advanced past the point where we no longer need refinement of oil in order to sustain our present civilization. So for all of you on this thread that keep thinking this is what we needed, big oil is out the door, think again. Alt energy sources such as air, water, geo thermal and solar are great alternatives to oil and fuel; however, until technology advances even further, we will not be able to harness those alternatives to sustain ourselves. Sure solar is great to run a store or a school, but to run a large city is not feasible.

3) SpidermanTuba - You are a gross mis-representation of the people of LA. I can't believe you would trash people on this thread just because they don't agree with your views. You are more than likely a liberal democrat that lacks a solid education and results to slander and verbal attacks when you lack the ability to constructively debate an issue with an individual that does not agree with you. You have every right to be angry about the current oil incident in the Gulf of Mexico, but it does not give you the right to use foul language, that most of us haven't heard since junior high, or be an ass to someone simply because he/she does not agree with you. I have family in Lake Charles, LA and points south along the LA/TX border and understand your anger. I grew up in Port Arthur, TX along the south LA/TX border and understand what a massive incident of this magnitude will do to not only the ecosystem but also the local economy. Amanda may have a very simplistic view of what is occurring in the Gulf and of incidents around the world, but she is somewhat right. Things will return to normal, eventually. Could you imagine what country we would live in today, if the Americans of the Great Depression had the same attitude as most of middle aged Americans today? That generation had resolve unlike any other in our history. If they had just yelled and wanted Uncle Sam to give them a handout instead of working hard to get themselves back on their feet, I dare say we wouldn't have a country today. Unfortunately, that resolve died or is dying with most of the generation from that era. Residents of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama will have to find that resolve and stand up and ensure that their families move on from this. A family that relies solely on the shrimping industry in the gulf will have to find another source of income, and if they have to, relocate to another area. Lastly, all I have to say to you is attempt to keep your debates respectful. People will take you much more seriously if you debate with respect.

I would like to finish with this. This incident in the gulf is tragic and hopefully this week they can stop the oil. If not, there is no telling what the level of destruction will be. We all need to pray for the people whom are and will be affected by this tragic incident. The repercussions of this will be felt all over our country. Think about what this has done: the mississippi river will soon be completely closed off and shipping will not be allowed to travel from the midwest to the Gulf of Mexico, the ports of Beaumont and Houston, Texas will not be able to operate at full capacity due to shipping restrictions in the gulf. Those two ports serve as both major military and commercial ports. Smaller life forms in the gulf will begin to die; which will result in larger lifeforms starving or moving to other water. We will not see the Gulf of Mexico as it was a week ago for years and years. We all need to put aside our political opinions and think about the bigger picture!

She doesn't care.

She didn't even have the guts to serve out her term as governor of Alaska.

Better to make millions on the lecture circuit.

Maybe fining BP will make them more diligent, maybe it won't.

You do understand that BP is going to get the shit sued out of it and wind up paying billions upon billions in actual and punitive damages to those affected by this? They aren't worried about any fines that will be imposed - that will pale in comparison.

BP will not pay all damages. Obama Lied AGAIN.

Federal law may limit BP liability in oil spill
A federal law may limit how much BP has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast oil spill, despite President Barack Obama's assurances that taxpayers will not be on the hook.

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.

He's been looking for a way to get bipartisanship. He offered this as an olive branch to try to get the GOP to work for the people rather than be the party of no.

Try again you sperm burping cum dumpster.

Nice..... Way to show your age pal...

You are an idiot if you believe that nonsense... And from the looks of your insult... Well, you look like another one of the teenage brigade we have trolling this forum lately.... GO play in the kiddie rooms until we call for you punk.....:lol:

From the article-
Kenneth Baer, spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget, also noted that if BP were found to have acted negligently in the spill or to have violated federal laws, the damages cap under the Oil Pollution Act would be lifted.

Baer said BP could also be held liable under additional federal or state laws.

"You can be sure that BP will be held accountable to the full extent of the law," he said.

My father is an environmental and maritime attorney in Louisiana. According to him there are ways around that limit. The above would seem to provide some.

Last edited:
Maybe fining BP will make them more diligent, maybe it won't.

You do understand that BP is going to get the shit sued out of it and wind up paying billions upon billions in actual and punitive damages to those affected by this? They aren't worried about any fines that will be imposed - that will pale in comparison.

BP will not pay all damages. Obama Lied AGAIN.

Federal law may limit BP liability in oil spill
A federal law may limit how much BP has to pay for damages such as lost wages and economic suffering in the Gulf Coast oil spill, despite President Barack Obama's assurances that taxpayers will not be on the hook.

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.

First the title says "MAY" that means exactly that may. Not a definite, not a fact just a may...

Second, the article states a few other things if you choose to read it fully and not take the headline and draw conclusions from it....

Federal law may limit BP liability in oil spill - Yahoo! News

What exactly are "other kinds of damages" anyway? Ya think it may be all the ridiculous and frivolous lawsuits after the exxon valdez? yeah I bet lawsuits from enviro-group after eniro-group on behalf of the ducks, the beavers, the fish, the whales, and all the other ignorant lawsuits that flooded the courts after that incident.... There was a push amongst envro-groups to keep exxon locked into legalities and smear them in the press as much as they could. All that happened was the courts got disgusted and but a limit on that kind of nonsense....

You have to read the articles with an open mind anymore, any preconception going in gives you a twisted view of it and limits your perceptions.

Last edited:
From the article-
Kenneth Baer, spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget, also noted that if BP were found to have acted negligently in the spill or to have violated federal laws, the damages cap under the Oil Pollution Act would be lifted.

Baer said BP could also be held liable under additional federal or state laws.

"You can be sure that BP will be held accountable to the full extent of the law," he said.

My father is an environmental and maritime attorney in Louisiana. According to him there are ways around that limit. The above would seem to provide some.

HAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Going try your tactic again???? Whats wrong being a bullshit astrophysicist won't help your argument this time??? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dude you are the most pathetic little twerp I have ever seen..... What did I say you would do in the next debate where you couldn't win right away... Remember what I said? I said you would suddenly be an expert in that too, or have a relative or friend who is an expert in that.... yeah did I call that or what????

I called it because you internet fakes are all the same... No matter what the argument is if you can't bullshit a win out right away, you are suddenly some kind of educated expert on it and therefore all debate and argument must bow to your brilliance....

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back