Stanford U doesn’t want people using the words “American,” “brave,” & “user,” among many others. So as not to "offend"

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
This is the kind of crap that gives “woke” a bad name & turns off the vast majority of Americans.

FkO-ECAVQAAzTaC

If I were at Stanford I would go out of my way to use every single one of those words as often as possible...

"You guys, considering how insane everything has gotten around here I think we should have a quick stand up meeting so we can hammer things out instead of beating a dead horse every time a brave employee tries to make a point. The important aspect of everything with this business is how the end user reacts to what we do. Brave Americans have sacrificed everything so that we can live the American dream. Instead, what we deal with is everyone thinking they can't speak their mind because of some trigger warning from some delicate little snowflake.

After the meeting I'm happy to do a walk-in, in my office, for anyone who wants to discuss this further".

Last edited:
Great example of why getting a degree from a University nowadays is no guarantee that you were educated.

If you attend a Liberal university it is quite possible to be dumber when you graduate than when you went in due to Libtard brainwashing.

Immediate cease all federal funds to Stanford. Let them go get American funding from the other countries in the Americas.

To be fair, this looks like an internal guideline, it does say "Consider using" rather than "Use this instead," and some of these (most notably 'insane') are legit good points.

That said, okay, I have considered saying "US Citizen" and have disregarded your suggestion. I will keep being an "American," thank you very much; it is accepted the world over as the demonym for the United States, and it works just fine. Language evolves organically, and that is the point at which purposeful attempts at manipulation do more harm than good.

I'm also surprised they want their people to use the term "citizen," seeing as that excludes immigrants and long-term residents who haven't yet passed the test but still consider themselves people of this country. It implies that Dreamers, for example, aren't Americans, which I don't think is the point they were trying to make.

We should be kind.

Some woke people sincerely feel that we should not say anything that is unkind.

For example, President Obama's Administration ordered government agencies to use "Asian," instead of "Oriental." The O-word had sinister overtones.

As far as "United States citizen" for "American," that is simply too long, especially in speech. The idea, of course, is that people in, say, Mexico and Brazil are also "Americans," for they live in North and South America.

I also understand why Stanford suggests "Black" instead of "African American," which seems to set them apart from other Americans. I use "African American" because "Black," I feel, is too curt. The longer term seems more gentle.

Personally, I would use the former term for the White House, which is the "Executive Mansion."

Forum List

Back