States moving to restore work requirements for food stamp recipients

About time. If you're able-bodied, you should be required to serve the community in some fashion. There's always a need for community service. Folks should wanna give back to the community.

All we ever hear about (and correctly) from the left is that "our infrastructure is broken". They are correct. However, if I recall my history - The New Deal put a lot of unemployed folks to work building roads, bridges and dams (The Tenessee Valley Authority), Now? We are 20 TRILLION dollars in debt, they lie to us daily about the "unemployment rate" - they say 5.0% and I say BS - it's probably closer to 12%.

Veterans are unemployed after they return from combat. They go to work for Private Armies rather than work for $10 per hour and who can blame them?

You want to re-build our infrastructure? Put those on welfare, food stamps, and the like to work for a decent salary, Herbert Hoover did it - Franklin Roosevelt did it - why can't we? Oh, that's right....the left believes that it's "wrong" to expect those folks to actually work for the benefits they receive. Just like Blacks - they want them dependent on "government".

It's more than that. It's the unions that would start most of the trouble. You are not putting a welfare recipient to do the job of a union man without starting a fight. That has happened in cities across America that tried to do the same thing.

Indeed. The union workforce would have to be willing to work side-by-side with non union workers. If it took a presidential decree, then so be it.

Of course, the tradesmen would be making considerably more than the welfare workers, and the union would have to agree with "right to work" rules, but either we get this country back on the "right" side, or we don't.

More bad news for the "gimme" Liberals....

States moving to restore work requirements for food stamp recipients | Fox News

States are moving to once again require able-bodied adults to put in work hours in exchange for food stamps, after the requirements largely were suspended by the Obama administration.

The slow-moving reversal follows the administration pulling back on Clinton-era changes that required recipients to work for government welfare benefits. Signing the reform bill in 1996 alongside then-Speaker Newt Gingrich, then-President Bill Clinton said the goal was to make welfare “a second chance, not a way of life.”

and when there's no work idiota?

To be accurate, the Obama admin allowed States to opt out of work requirements during the Great Recession, if the STATES chose to opt out. Congress and Slick put in work requirements as part of welfare reform.

You know - it tickles me to hear folks refer to the recession of 2008 as the "Great recession". I'm sure that a lot of you are too young to remember Jimmy Carter and his 18-19% inflation rates of the 80s - or home ownership at record lows, Unemployment at 17%. Funny though - when Obama "names" something - the left falls right into lock step.

Was it a recession? You bet! but nothing that couldn't be overcome by lying, cheating and stealing. How the hell do you have an inflation rate of 0% in a "robust economy" as our dear leader says? Of course, when you print your own phony money - backed by nothing - I guess it really doesn't matter, does it? ;)

And I remember that recession well. There weren't even any McDonald's jobs available. They were all taken.

This past recession, there were jobs available, just no jobs that anybody wanted. Unlike the recession under Reagan and Carter, you didn't have a boat load of government benefits that kept you very comfortable until you found some work. If you found work back then, you jumped at the opportunity no questions asked.
I coulda sworn we had UI back in 1980.

About time. If you're able-bodied, you should be required to serve the community in some fashion. There's always a need for community service. Folks should wanna give back to the community.

All we ever hear about (and correctly) from the left is that "our infrastructure is broken". They are correct. However, if I recall my history - The New Deal put a lot of unemployed folks to work building roads, bridges and dams (The Tenessee Valley Authority), Now? We are 20 TRILLION dollars in debt, they lie to us daily about the "unemployment rate" - they say 5.0% and I say BS - it's probably closer to 12%.

Veterans are unemployed after they return from combat. They go to work for Private Armies rather than work for $10 per hour and who can blame them?

You want to re-build our infrastructure? Put those on welfare, food stamps, and the like to work for a decent salary, Herbert Hoover did it - Franklin Roosevelt did it - why can't we? Oh, that's right....the left believes that it's "wrong" to expect those folks to actually work for the benefits they receive. Just like Blacks - they want them dependent on "government".

It's more than that. It's the unions that would start most of the trouble. You are not putting a welfare recipient to do the job of a union man without starting a fight. That has happened in cities across America that tried to do the same thing.

Indeed. The union workforce would have to be willing to work side-by-side with non union workers. If it took a presidential decree, then so be it.

Of course, the tradesmen would be making considerably more than the welfare workers, and the union would have to agree with "right to work" rules, but either we get this country back on the "right" side, or we don't.

States are moving to once again require able-bodied adults to put in work hours in exchange for food stamps, after the requirements largely were suspended by the Obama administration.

The slow-moving reversal follows the administration pulling back on Clinton-era changes that required recipients to work for government welfare benefits. Signing the reform bill in 1996 alongside then-Speaker Newt Gingrich, then-President Bill Clinton said the goal was to make welfare “a second chance, not a way of life.”

I think it is an excellent idea, and we should do it the left way to make it totally fair.

1. All government assistance is divided by the NEW minimum wage they want, 15 bucks an hour.

2. If they receive 1500 dollars in Federal and State assistance, they have to work, 100hrs a month.

3. Getting more subsidies to the tune of 3000 bucks a month, then they might have to work a little over time-)

4. Miss a day? OVER RULED......DEDUCTED-)

Then do your part to help bring about a cleaner environment (like the "Globull Warming" Libs keep saying we need)...

Volunteer to clean up our neighborhoods, or pick up trash on the side of the highway...

How does that work for the people WITH jobs who get food stamps?

They meet the work requirement. They work.

To be accurate, the Obama admin allowed States to opt out of work requirements during the Great Recession, if the STATES chose to opt out. Congress and Slick put in work requirements as part of welfare reform.

You know - it tickles me to hear folks refer to the recession of 2008 as the "Great recession". I'm sure that a lot of you are too young to remember Jimmy Carter and his 18-19% inflation rates of the 80s - or home ownership at record lows, Unemployment at 17%. Funny though - when Obama "names" something - the left falls right into lock step.

Was it a recession? You bet! but nothing that couldn't be overcome by lying, cheating and stealing. How the hell do you have an inflation rate of 0% in a "robust economy" as our dear leader says? Of course, when you print your own phony money - backed by nothing - I guess it really doesn't matter, does it? ;)

And I remember that recession well. There weren't even any McDonald's jobs available. They were all taken.

This past recession, there were jobs available, just no jobs that anybody wanted. Unlike the recession under Reagan and Carter, you didn't have a boat load of government benefits that kept you very comfortable until you found some work. If you found work back then, you jumped at the opportunity no questions asked.
I coulda sworn we had UI back in 1980.

It paid nothing like it does today. And back then, you had to go to the unemployment office, stand there nearly all day if not all day, and at times, fight to get the benefit if your employer objected.

I haven't been unemployed in over 25 years, but from what I understand, it's just a phone call or visiting a web site. It's effortless and you can support yourself on that kind of money.

Where is there no work at? I don't see it. I go to industrial sites all day long. They are loaded with HELP WANTED signs; same at nearly all the fast food restaurants I visit.

My industry is looking for 60,000 Americans to work that they can't find. Some are not only willing to train you, but pay you while you learn.

Owsley, KY, is going to learn something it has not known for 30 years: how to work.

Forum List

Back