States With Most Gun Laws Have Fewest Gun Deaths, Study Finds

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
States with more gun laws have lower levels of gun fatalities, according to a new study from Boston Children’s Hospital. While the study, published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, does not establish cause-and-effect, nor which particular gun laws are most effective, it does suggest a positive relationship between gun control and gun violence prevention. According to NBC News:

“It seems pretty clear: If you want to know which of the states have the lowest gun-mortality rates just look for those with the greatest number of gun laws,” said Dr. Eric W. Fleegler of Boston Children’s Hospital who, with colleagues, analyzed firearm-related deaths reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 through 2010.

By scoring individual states simply by the sheer volume of gun laws they have on the books, the researchers noted that in states with the highest number of firearms measures, their rate of gun deaths is collectively 42 percent lower when compared to states that have passed the fewest number of gun rules. [...]

As proof, Fleegler pointed to the firearm-fatality rates in law-laden states such as Massachusetts (where there were 3.4 gun deaths per 100,000 individuals), New Jersey (4.9 per 100,000) and Connecticut (5.1 per 100,000). In states with sparser firearms laws, researchers reported that gun-mortality rates were higher: Louisiana (18.0 per 100,000), Alaska (17.5 per 100,000) and Arizona (13.6 per 100,000).

The authors of the study openly acknowledge that correlation research has a much more limited application than research that establishes cause-and-effect, and conclude that further study is necessary. But in an accompanying commentary, Dr. Garen J. Wintemute of the University of California, Davis, Sacramento, laments that anything more than this sort of simple and cost-free analysis of already-available data has been alarmingly difficult achieve, thanks to a chokehold on funding that has cleared the field of researchers with gun expertise. Even with President Obama’s recent executive order calling on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to resume the gun violence research it ceased in the 1990s, it is up to Congress to fund that research (Obama called for $10 million), and will require a sustained, significant commitment to develop new academics whose careers are focused on gun violence. Wintemute writes:

States With Most Gun Laws Have Fewest Gun Deaths, Study Finds | ThinkProgress

I would imagine states with the most cars have the most car accidents, men have more accidents than woman because they drive more.
so i would think states with the most guns have the most accidents.
murder, rape, and assaults are more relevant to gun laws.

Seems the good doctors can't get it right. I think there is a small difference between what is stated in the article and reality, but maybe that's just me.

From your link: "The United States has belatedly awakened to the knowledge that it is, in effect, under armed attack. More than 30,000 people are purposely shot to death each year"

CDC data: Firearm homicides Number of deaths: 11,078

FASTSTATS - Homicide

Can you say inflated, self serving numbers to push for fed funds?

Last edited:
States with more gun laws have lower levels of gun fatalities, according to a new study from Boston Children’s Hospital. While the study, published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, does not establish cause-and-effect, nor which particular gun laws are most effective, it does suggest a positive relationship between gun control and gun violence prevention. According to NBC News:

“It seems pretty clear: If you want to know which of the states have the lowest gun-mortality rates just look for those with the greatest number of gun laws,” said Dr. Eric W. Fleegler of Boston Children’s Hospital who, with colleagues, analyzed firearm-related deaths reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2007 through 2010.

By scoring individual states simply by the sheer volume of gun laws they have on the books, the researchers noted that in states with the highest number of firearms measures, their rate of gun deaths is collectively 42 percent lower when compared to states that have passed the fewest number of gun rules. [...]

As proof, Fleegler pointed to the firearm-fatality rates in law-laden states such as Massachusetts (where there were 3.4 gun deaths per 100,000 individuals), New Jersey (4.9 per 100,000) and Connecticut (5.1 per 100,000). In states with sparser firearms laws, researchers reported that gun-mortality rates were higher: Louisiana (18.0 per 100,000), Alaska (17.5 per 100,000) and Arizona (13.6 per 100,000).

The authors of the study openly acknowledge that correlation research has a much more limited application than research that establishes cause-and-effect, and conclude that further study is necessary. But in an accompanying commentary, Dr. Garen J. Wintemute of the University of California, Davis, Sacramento, laments that anything more than this sort of simple and cost-free analysis of already-available data has been alarmingly difficult achieve, thanks to a chokehold on funding that has cleared the field of researchers with gun expertise. Even with President Obama’s recent executive order calling on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to resume the gun violence research it ceased in the 1990s, it is up to Congress to fund that research (Obama called for $10 million), and will require a sustained, significant commitment to develop new academics whose careers are focused on gun violence. Wintemute writes:

States With Most Gun Laws Have Fewest Gun Deaths, Study Finds | ThinkProgress

I was hoping someone would be stupid enough to publish this. This sentence is the key to understand the entire report.

Compared with the quartile of states with the fewest laws, the quartile with the most laws had a lower firearm suicide rate (absolute rate difference, 6.25 deaths/100 000/y; IRR, 0.63; 95% CI, 0.48-0.83) and a lower firearm homicide rate (absolute rate difference, 0.40 deaths/100 000/y; IRR, 0.60; 95% CI, 0.38-0.95).

What was that? He is basing the entire conclusion of his study on suicides, and has determined that looser gun laws have more suicides using guns? I thought the entire debate about gun control was preventing harm to others, I guess it is about taking guns away after all.

By the way, if you look at the data you will see there is a glaring omission in his statistical sample, he did not count DC when he was comparing strict gun laws to homicide rates. It turns out that, if you factor in DC, we find that 10 states with the strictest gun control laws have a homicide by gun rate of 4.0 100,000, and the 10 states with the least gun control have a gun homicide rate of 3.5 per 100,000.

By the way, there is something known as an outlier in 10 states with the least gun control list that would lead an honest researcher to ignore it as an aberration and admit that there must be something wrong with the data or the method of sampling. If we eliminate that outlier the 10 states with the least gun control have a gun homicide rate of 2.8 per 100,000.

That is a difference of 12.5% for the math challenged among us, which is a very significant difference.

As the study was very careful to point out, correlation is not causation, but it seems pretty clear that, as far as correlation goes, strict gun laws actually make it more likely that you will get murdered.

I love math.

I would imagine states with the most cars have the most car accidents, men have more accidents than woman because they drive more.
so i would think states with the most guns have the most accidents.
murder, rape, and assaults are more relevant to gun laws.

I would imagine that, since no one has ever reported any significant difference in suicide rates from state to state, that suicides are just as likely to occur in states with strict gun control as they are in states with less gun control.

Seems the good doctors can't get it right. I think there is a small difference between what is stated in the article and reality, but maybe that's just me.

From your link: "The United States has belatedly awakened to the knowledge that it is, in effect, under armed attack. More than 30,000 people are purposely shot to death each year"

CDC data: Firearm homicides Number of deaths: 11,078

FASTSTATS - Homicide

Can you say inflated, self serving numbers to push for fed funds?

To be fair, the link you posted did not count suicides as homicides.

Come to think of it, no one does unless they are trying to pad the stats to make gun control look good.

States along the coast have more ocean drownings too ...

Btw, how is Chicago doing these days?

chicago-crime-scene.jpg

Forum List

Back