Strike for $15.00 an hour, Sub shop fires everybody

If any of you people want to pay someone $15 an hour to put cold cuts on bread you are welcome to pony up 50 or 60K of your own money to rent, furnish and renovate a place then make sure it is OSHA compliant, EPA compliant, FDA compliant pay to heat cool and light the space buy all the ingredients pay all the taxes involved etc.

Until you do that you have no right to tell someone else they should pay people 15 bucks an hour.

These meatheads who got fired got a little economics lesson in life!!!

Funny as shit..........

If any of you people want to pay someone $15 an hour to put cold cuts on bread you are welcome to pony up 50 or 60K of your own money to rent, furnish and renovate a place then make sure it is OSHA compliant, EPA compliant, FDA compliant pay to heat cool and light the space buy all the ingredients pay all the taxes involved etc.

Until you do that you have no right to tell someone else they should pay people 15 bucks an hour.

Actually, by virtue of the first amendment anyone of course has the right to say exactly that.

And , given that the Fair Labor Act has been around for 80 years it seems a fair bet that the government has the authority to FORCE a certain minimum wage. The amount can be debated, the issue of making companies pay it can not.

Actually, by virtue of the first amendment anyone of course has the right to say exactly that.

And , given that the Fair Labor Act has been around for 80 years it seems a fair bet that the government has the authority to FORCE a certain minimum wage. The amount can be debated, the issue of making companies pay it can not.

And business owners have the right to tell you to piss off.

And these people are not talking about minimum wage they want $15 an hour to lay slices of cold cuts on bread.

So if you think that slapping cold cuts on a bun is worth $15 an hour then you open your own place and pay it

And these people are not talking about minimum wage they want $15 an hour to lay slices of cold cuts on bread.

So if you think that slapping cold cuts on a bun is worth $15 an hour then you open your own place and pay it

Of course they have the right to tell them to piss off. Isn't it funny that no one has said that they don't have that right, the ONLY people who have been told they don't have a right by anyone in this thread is the people who wanted $15?

Well guess what, BOTH sides have the right to voice their opinions.

it is important to remember that the employer must agree to the terms of a contract between the union and the business.
Yes, years ago, if a business owner refused to bargain, the employees could walk and shut down the business. That no longer is the case.
For example. A branch of Dish Network Service Corp( DNSC) in Maryland, terminated all of it's technicians because they elected to join a union.
The company simply refused to bargain with the union management. they simply waited out the employees who voted to for the union. The company went by the book. They fired people for being late. For declining work assignments. For incorrect paperwork. For working unauthorized overtime...After about a month, the entire technician corps was turned over.
Unions simply do not have the kind of clout they once had.

Yep, and thank goodness for small favors. Of course, it doesn't stop the union mobs from trying to coerce others into toeing their line, or stop them from extorting member dues to use to buy off politicians.
I worked for one union shop, a 'closed shop' at that. During company indoctrination, the local union representative showed up, passed out some forms for us to sign, and explained to us that if we did not sign those forms authorizing initiation fees and union dues to be automatically withheld from our pay by a certain deadline, they would report us to the company and we would be terminated. I raised my hand, asked him if what he was saying was that if we did not pay their dues and fees, we could not hold a job with the company? Yes, that's right, he says. I explain to him that making us pay to hold a job, or be fired, was extortion in my dictionary. The guy went apoplectic.
Needless to say, if the place I work now goes union, I will quit. I will not be forced to pay extorted fees to keep my job.

I would imagine you reside in forced union state?

I haven't worked that job for a long time. Right now, Alaska is an "at will" state, but many believe that having union representation protects them from the "at will" whim of employers. My understanding is that closed shop has been illegal for some time. That only means that you can opt out of paying a portion of your dues, those used for political action. When we learned about that, all the mechanics at the union job "opted out" of that portion of their dues. The union reps went nuts! Since the lower-paid ramp service folk (about 300 of them) always trumped the mechanics' vote (about 30 of us), we were always forced to go along with whatever those guys wanted. The union wonks did not even bother coming to talk to the mechs. After the mechs opted out of part of the dues, they got no more from one of us than from one of the other job classifications. (Mechs earned about 3 times what most of the others did.)

If you can't afford to pay someone a decent wage, don't hire anyone and do the work yourself.

Seems to me GD has it figured pretty well.
By-the-way, please quantify "decent wage".

Enough to live, and not starve.

And how much does it take to "live", "not starve"? We have your qualitative description, "enough", but how about a quantitative limit? What number qualifies as "enough"?

[

Actually our most prosperous decade was the 1990's.

You mean when Clinton gave the unions everything they wanted and raised taxes on the rich?

[
The workforce was never unionized. This has been explained to you many times.

Good jobs were unionized. Mediocre jobs paid a good wage to prevent a union forming and because- again- the minimum wage actually meant something up until 1980 or so.

[
Once again you demonstrate a propensity to distort the facts . You resort to spewing the most brain dead shit house rhetoric known to exist in USMB

The fact is, the America I grew up in was a much better place to live than the one we do now.

And it was Reagan and the Bushes who fucked it up for the rest of us.

Clinton gave what to the unions? Genius. During the 90's union membership fell from around 18% of the total workforce to around 12%.
The fact is the capital gains tax cut, the lowered top marginal rates, the availability of 401k's, mutual funds and other safe investment vehicles available to the common worker, low unemployment, strong US Dollar, are just some of the examples of what made the country prosperous.
Unions were not included.
Today, 6.6% of the private sector workforce is unionized.
Union Members Summary
36% of public sector workers are in unions. That is also down from it's peak.
And dropping as more states fed up with the high cost of unionized public workers and the accompanying confiscatory taxation.
One thing is abundantly clear, unions together with complicit politicians created this artificial bubble of higher than market rate wages and unsustainable benefit packages.
The corruption was exposed when the recession hit and revenues fell, leaving less money to fund these people. So while the public sector was flourishing, the people paying the bills were losing their jobs and their homes to foreclosure.
I know this means nothing to you. You probably believe those who lost their jobs and their homes 'should not had a house to begin with'...as though the entire existence of the homeowner is to make sure public workers are taken care of and kept in their grossly over paid jobs.
Well, sad for you, unions are on the run. And soon will be out.

Does anyone bother to read the links before they start a thread?

Staff at Snarf's Sub Shop in River North received the bad news on Sunday night in a group email
They were notified the drastic action was effective immediately
The company blamed 'increased competition and losses' for the firings
Director of operations Doug Besant said in the email the restaurant will likely close for a month as they reconcept the business into a burger joint

It comes less than a month after Snarf's workers rallied for higher wages

Read more: Chicago sandwich shop fires all its staff in an EMAIL just days before Christmas | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Workers Fired via e-mail...a conservative dream come true.

Oh....With the possibility of some asshole who cannot accept the reality they no longer have a job picking up a weapon, the email route is one that will be used in greater frequency.

[

Actually our most prosperous decade was the 1990's.

You mean when Clinton gave the unions everything they wanted and raised taxes on the rich?

[
The workforce was never unionized. This has been explained to you many times.

Good jobs were unionized. Mediocre jobs paid a good wage to prevent a union forming and because- again- the minimum wage actually meant something up until 1980 or so.

[
Once again you demonstrate a propensity to distort the facts . You resort to spewing the most brain dead shit house rhetoric known to exist in USMB

The fact is, the America I grew up in was a much better place to live than the one we do now.

And it was Reagan and the Bushes who fucked it up for the rest of us.

Define "good job"
If America is no longer a good place, can you leave now? Since you hate it so much.
This income inequality thing is a bunch of democrats trying to solidify their voting base.
This happens in every election cycle. Democrats playing the class warfare card. \
Nobody cares.
The fact is there is no such thing as income inequality as it relates to the real world.
Income and earning potential will never be 'equal' because there never was the intention to make everyone equal in the first place.
And please spare me the nonsense about CEO pay, etc. That's a straw man argument. The reason for this is simple. The fact is that should executive pay be somehow lowered by political fiat( never going to happen) would not be transferred to the employees. That money would more than likely be put back into the business or used to raise the quarterly dividend..Which ironically would wind up in the savings plans and/or profit sharing the employees have with the company....
Your clinging to the Keynesian theory is admirable. And a waste of time.

Yep, and thank goodness for small favors. Of course, it doesn't stop the union mobs from trying to coerce others into toeing their line, or stop them from extorting member dues to use to buy off politicians.
I worked for one union shop, a 'closed shop' at that. During company indoctrination, the local union representative showed up, passed out some forms for us to sign, and explained to us that if we did not sign those forms authorizing initiation fees and union dues to be automatically withheld from our pay by a certain deadline, they would report us to the company and we would be terminated. I raised my hand, asked him if what he was saying was that if we did not pay their dues and fees, we could not hold a job with the company? Yes, that's right, he says. I explain to him that making us pay to hold a job, or be fired, was extortion in my dictionary. The guy went apoplectic.
Needless to say, if the place I work now goes union, I will quit. I will not be forced to pay extorted fees to keep my job.

I haven't worked that job for a long time. Right now, Alaska is an "at will" state, but many believe that having union representation protects them from the "at will" whim of employers. My understanding is that closed shop has been illegal for some time. That only means that you can opt out of paying a portion of your dues, those used for political action. When we learned about that, all the mechanics at the union job "opted out" of that portion of their dues. The union reps went nuts! Since the lower-paid ramp service folk (about 300 of them) always trumped the mechanics' vote (about 30 of us), we were always forced to go along with whatever those guys wanted. The union wonks did not even bother coming to talk to the mechs. After the mechs opted out of part of the dues, they got no more from one of us than from one of the other job classifications. (Mechs earned about 3 times what most of the others did.)
Yeah..I did a little research and found that "closed shop" is illegal.
That meant that if a shop was union, an applicant had to already be a member to be considered.
Forced union..Still legal I believe is where payment of union dues is compulsory.
Forced union states can be "at will" states at the same time. I believe New Jersey is one of these.
Right to Work states prohibit unions from compelling workers to pay dues.
Apologize if you knew this already.

Yeah..I did a little research and found that "closed shop" is illegal.
That meant that if a shop was union, an applicant had to already be a member to be considered.
Forced union..Still legal I believe is where payment of union dues is compulsory.
Forced union states can be "at will" states at the same time. I believe New Jersey is one of these.
Right to Work states prohibit unions from compelling workers to pay dues.
Apologize if you knew this already.

I did, but thanks for the info. I got a little torqued because of the way the union rep presented his information. Sign the paper or we will have your boss fire you. The majority of the members in our shop were...ill-informed, easily compelled immigrants from places where this type of coercion is common, accepted, and probably expected. Of course, when contract negotiations came up, the union promised them the moon and the stars but the results of those negotiations always made it pretty damned clear that the union and the company were quite...companionable. The workers got the short end of the stick, every time.

Does anyone bother to read the links before they start a thread?

Staff at Snarf's Sub Shop in River North received the bad news on Sunday night in a group email
They were notified the drastic action was effective immediately
The company blamed 'increased competition and losses' for the firings
Director of operations Doug Besant said in the email the restaurant will likely close for a month as they reconcept the business into a burger joint

It comes less than a month after Snarf's workers rallied for higher wages

Read more: Chicago sandwich shop fires all its staff in an EMAIL just days before Christmas | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Workers Fired via e-mail...a conservative dream come true.

Oh....With the possibility of some asshole who cannot accept the reality they no longer have a job picking up a weapon, the email route is one that will be used in greater frequency.

I was once laid off by a fax. Two days after working Christmas. It wasn't handed to me, it was tucked into my box to find when I returned from my day's route. They misspelled my name on the fax. :eek:

If that isn't a record, it must be damned close! (Yes...at that job, I DID, in fact, feel like I worked in a Dilbert cartoon.)

I was fired once while I was on vacation. I was reinstated the day before I got back. Much like Phil Roberson got suspended while the series was on hiatus and reinstated in time to start filming.

When I found out I was furious. I confronted the boss with a list of demands or I would take my hurt feelings and leave if they weren't met. I got everything I wanted.

There will be no scramble for new employees. The shop is remodeling. There will be quite sometime to carefully examine applications.

Of course, according to all these poseur twerps who have never run a business, Costco is a failure.

Of course they have the right to tell them to piss off. Isn't it funny that no one has said that they don't have that right, the ONLY people who have been told they don't have a right by anyone in this thread is the people who wanted $15?

Well guess what, BOTH sides have the right to voice their opinions.

Actually we are pretty lucky these guys can't read. If they knew the history of labor movements they might have a clue as to what is going on. Low wage workers (garment workers, truck drivers, factory workers, miners) are always easy to replace, until they aren't. "Don't get mad, ORGANIZE!"

The minimum wage needs to go the way of the buggy whip. It is now so high it's in the harmful range. It needs to ge replaced by a graduated and categorized structure.

I was fired once while I was on vacation. I was reinstated the day before I got back. Much like Phil Roberson got suspended while the series was on hiatus and reinstated in time to start filming.

When I found out I was furious. I confronted the boss with a list of demands or I would take my hurt feelings and leave if they weren't met. I got everything I wanted.

That happens a lot more than you think. Many times, companies will let people go when they are on vacation in order to avoid any potential conflict or bad reaction in the workplace
Have you ever been instructed to attend an "exit interview"?
That's a joke.
I was working at a auto parts distributor. It was a temp job for me. I had no intention of staying there because I had my sights set on a position I had to wait on to become open.
I knew they were going to let me go because business was kind of slow and they knew I didn't give a shit about the job.
Anyway, the manager comes to me at lunch time and asks me into his office.
He tells me I am done. I said ok, see ya.
He said "wait a minute. You have to go to your exit interview"...
I said OK. In my mind I was thinking ok, what can I do to really screw with these guys.
so I go to see the other guy and he hands me these papers and crap. He says I have to fill them out. I was like "ok when? Can I take them home?"...Fill them out now, he says.
So i said..."Hey are you telling me what to do? Because the other guy just told me I was fired. That means you no longer get to tell me what to do"..
...Finally the guy says forget the exit interview. He was so pissed, I thought he was gonna have a stroke.
I really had an even more bizarre plan to screw with this guy, but I kind of felt bad because he was just doing what he was told to do.
The guy I really wanted to fuck with was the plant manager. He was the type that checked every time card of every employee every day. he was obsessed with time. He even made a point to be the first one to arrive every day. And it was well known that if someone got there before him, they had better wait until he entered the building first. Weirdo.

Forum List

Back