Study: Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides

Notice number 4

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides, according to 45-year study

Yeah those criminals wait a long time for those background checks met me tell you.

And the guy who decides he's going to kill his wife but can legally buy a gun?

And the cop who suddenly loses it " eww he carries a gun too" whatta ya know.

I guess cops are immune from having mental issues too aye. LMFAO

He used 2 rifles and murdered 58.

The guy in France used a truck and murdered 89.

Your point?

I love how you guys move all over when losing.

The point obviously is that he used a weapon for mass killing. No reason they should be legal unless you want well armed mass killers.

They should be legal because the Constitution says so.

Really? Where does it say weapons of mass killing are legal?

It does not contain those words.
It does guarantee my right to own a gun.

Just to let you know....brain is a Troll.......you can use your time with him to sharpen your arguments...but you aren't going to achieve anything else useful....

Yeah, I kind of figured that out while reading his responses here.
That's OK... others have posted interesting argument and useful info.

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

Yeah those criminals wait a long time for those background checks met me tell you.

and a bump stock

And that results in how many criminals arrested or dead?

With increasing concealed carry:

FBI: Violent crime increases for second straight year

That study is not directly tied to firearms regulations and ownership.
For instance ... Over thee last two years there has been a serious increase in violent crime in cities like Chicago (that affect the national average).
Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws.

Chicago doesn't have walls. It is still easy to get guns in. Chicago and Milwaukee both got concealed carry in recent years. Not going well...

so how do you plan on keeping illegal guns out of the hands of criminals? and whats not going well? law abiding citizens are now robbing stores and banks because they are allowed to carry guns? is that what you are trying to sell here?

What is going well? Violent crime is up. We have regular mass shootings and they are getting worse. Law enforcement are killed weekly...
I didn't say anything is going well, you did claim conceal and carry was not going well, are trying to say law abiding citizens are now committing crime because of conceal and carry?

I'm saying we have too many guns. Criminals have more guns because of that. Would you try to rob someone unarmed? We have an arms race between citizens and criminals. Gun control has proven to greatly reduce mass shootings. It is also unheard of for law enforcement to be gunned down weekly in civilized countries with gun control.

upload_2017-10-17_19-0-24.png

I love how you guys move all over when losing.

The point obviously is that he used a weapon for mass killing. No reason they should be legal unless you want well armed mass killers.

They should be legal because the Constitution says so.

Really? Where does it say weapons of mass killing are legal?

It does not contain those words.
It does guarantee my right to own a gun.

Just to let you know....brain is a Troll.......you can use your time with him to sharpen your arguments...but you aren't going to achieve anything else useful....

Yeah, I kind of figured that out while reading his responses here.
That's OK... others have posted interesting argument and useful info.

And 2aguy has been saying for years more guns equals less crime:
FBI: Violent crime increases for second straight year

I'm saying we have too many guns. Criminals have more guns because of that. Would you try to rob someone unarmed? We have an arms race between citizens and criminals. Gun control has proven to greatly reduce mass shootings. It is also unheard of for law enforcement to be gunned down weekly in civilized countries with gun control.

Gun control is a joke that never really achieves its purpose ... And is only intended to make people like you think they are safer.
Crap ... I legally purchased my first assault weapon brand new from a gun store during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.

All the ban did was piss people off and help sell more assault weapons.
All the ban did was state that you couldn't buy an assault weapon with more than one of these items ... Pistol grip, folding stock, flash suppressor and grenade launcher.
It didn't say that you couldn't purchase any additional items after market and put them on the assault weapon (albeit the grenade launcher might be a little difficult).

That study is not directly tied to firearms regulations and ownership.
For instance ... Over thee last two years there has been a serious increase in violent crime in cities like Chicago (that affect the national average).
Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws.

Chicago doesn't have walls. It is still easy to get guns in. Chicago and Milwaukee both got concealed carry in recent years. Not going well...

so how do you plan on keeping illegal guns out of the hands of criminals? and whats not going well? law abiding citizens are now robbing stores and banks because they are allowed to carry guns? is that what you are trying to sell here?

What is going well? Violent crime is up. We have regular mass shootings and they are getting worse. Law enforcement are killed weekly...
I didn't say anything is going well, you did claim conceal and carry was not going well, are trying to say law abiding citizens are now committing crime because of conceal and carry?

Now your not just grasping at straws but struggling to grasp at them,
Would you try to rob someone unarmed?

first off why don't you just go ahead and say it is impossible to rob someone if guns are banned and see how ridiculous that claim is...and second, a thief is far more likely to rob someone he his 100% sure is unarmed...far more likely...way more likely...let me hear you say you disagree with that, just to make the folly complete

Drew Peterson didn't use a gun and neither do countless others. If a man decides to kill his wife, he probably will do so whether he owns a gun or not.
You want to trample the Constitution because of some future crime that hasn't happened yet?

first off why don't you just go ahead and say it is impossible to rob someone if guns are banned and see how ridiculous that claim is...and second, a thief is far more likely to rob someone he his 100% sure is unarmed...far more likely...way more likely...let me hear you say you disagree with that, just to make the folly complete

Yet crime in countries with low gun ownership rates is much lower than ours.

Gun control is a joke that never really achieves its purpose ... And is only intended to make people like you think they are safer.
Crap ... I legally purchased my first assault weapon brand new from a gun store during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.

All the ban did was piss people off and help sell more assault weapons.
All the ban did was state that you couldn't buy an assault weapon with more than one of these items ... Pistol grip, folding stock, flash suppressor and grenade launcher.
It didn't say that you couldn't purchase any additional items after market and put them on the assault weapon (albeit the grenade launcher might be a little difficult).

Well we certainly have never had good gun control here. Why do you think our police are shot and killed weekly? Why do you think our police kill so many people themselves? We have quite the gun problem.

Here is gun control working:
Milwaukee Man Planning Mass Shooting Bought Machine Guns From FBI | HuffPost

Sure beats Vegas.

A waiting period of three to five days to purchase a handgun which I don't have any problem with probably does prevent some crimes of passion like someone pissed at their ex or honked off at their employer but it won't have much if any effect on the career criminal or someone like the Las Vegas shooter.

Drew Peterson didn't use a gun and neither do countless others. If a man decides to kill his wife, he probably will do so whether he owns a gun or not.
You want to trample the Constitution because of some future crime that hasn't happened yet?

Even Scalia admitted the 2nd amendment has limits. It isn't trampling the constitution to limit weapons for mass killing.

Some of the countries (like Sierra Leone) with the lowest gun ownership per capita have the worst record for violent crime and gun deaths.

Those countries are usually the ones where only the government and militants have firearms.
The most common form of homicide in those countries is war crimes and genocide.

BULLSHITE! (In English accent, even)

Some of the countries (like Sierra Leone) with the lowest gun ownership per capita have the worst record for violent crime and gun deaths.

Those countries are usually the ones where only the government and militants have firearms.
The most common form of homicide in those countries is war crimes and genocide.

There are certainly other factors than just gun ownership rates. I don't think Sierra Leone is very good to compare to the USA. Certainly Germany is more politically and economically stable to compare to the us. Same with other countries in Europe.

BULLSHITE! (In English accent, even)

Have you heard of Germany? Denmark? Japan?

Well we certainly have never had good gun control here. Why do you think our police are shot and killed weekly? Why do you think our police kill so many people themselves? We have quite the gun problem.

Here is gun control working:
Milwaukee Man Planning Mass Shooting Bought Machine Guns From FBI | HuffPost

Sure beats Vegas.

I am just saying that shitty gun control didn't stop the purchases of assault weapons during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.
In fact the number of privately owned assault weapons immediately before, during and immediately after the Clinton ban almost doubled.
It didn't stop people like you (or the ones that produce studies to support your stance) from claiming a decrease in assault weapons crime was the result of the ban.

I mean really dude ... Why do you think they let it expire ... It was useless.
Just an imaginary band aide they told nut cases like you that it was going to help keep you safe ... And you suckers will fall for it every time.

Forum List

Back