🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Study: Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides

There are certainly other factors than just gun ownership rates. I don't think Sierra Leone is very good to compare to the USA. Certainly Germany is more politically and economically stable to compare to the us. Same with other countries in Europe.

You were comparing gun ownership with violent crime and gun homicides ... You don't get to pick and choose your data just to better suit your argument.
You have to count the bad (especially the really bad) with the good ... :thup:

Well we certainly have never had good gun control here. Why do you think our police are shot and killed weekly? Why do you think our police kill so many people themselves? We have quite the gun problem.

Here is gun control working:
Milwaukee Man Planning Mass Shooting Bought Machine Guns From FBI | HuffPost

Sure beats Vegas.

I am just saying that shitty gun control didn't stop the purchases of assault weapons during the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.
In fact the number of privately owned assault weapons immediately before, during and immediately after the Clinton ban almost doubled.
It didn't stop people like you (or the ones that produce studies to support your stance) from claiming a decrease in assault weapons crime was the result of the ban.

I mean really dude ... Why do you think they let it expire ... It was useless.
Just an imaginary band aide they told nut cases like you that it was going to help keep you safe ... And you suckers will fall for it every time.

I think it would have made vegas much harder if we did have the Assault weapons ban and magazine limits.

But to answer why it expired is very simple. To sell guns.

I didn't say anything is going well, you did claim conceal and carry was not going well, are trying to say law abiding citizens are now committing crime because of conceal and carry?

I'm saying we have too many guns. Criminals have more guns because of that. Would you try to rob someone unarmed? We have an arms race between citizens and criminals. Gun control has proven to greatly reduce mass shootings. It is also unheard of for law enforcement to be gunned down weekly in civilized countries with gun control.

Now your not just grasping at straws but struggling to grasp at them,
Would you try to rob someone unarmed?

first off why don't you just go ahead and say it is impossible to rob someone if guns are banned and see how ridiculous that claim is...and second, a thief is far more likely to rob someone he his 100% sure is unarmed...far more likely...way more likely...let me hear you say you disagree with that, just to make the folly complete

Yet crime in countries with low gun ownership rates is much lower than ours.

BULLSHITE! (In English accent, even)

Have you heard of Germany? Denmark? Japan?

Germany? Where Muslims are taking over? Move there, douchebag.

You're a confirmed idiot.

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

Gun waiting periods prevent hundreds of homicides, according to 45-year study

Yeah those criminals wait a long time for those background checks met me tell you.

And the guy who decides he's going to kill his wife but can legally buy a gun?

Drew Peterson didn't use a gun and neither do countless others. If a man decides to kill his wife, he probably will do so whether he owns a gun or not.
You want to trample the Constitution because of some future crime that hasn't happened yet?

Even Scalia admitted the 2nd amendment has limits. It isn't trampling the constitution to limit weapons for mass killing.

They are already both regulated and have limits on them.
Guns aren't weapons for mass killing. Of the millions of gun owners in this country, the percentage of those that abuse the right to own is very small.

If you are enjoying an evening at home and are interrupted by an intruder that means you and yours harm, would you like to have a firearm or the remote control to save you?

There are certainly other factors than just gun ownership rates. I don't think Sierra Leone is very good to compare to the USA. Certainly Germany is more politically and economically stable to compare to the us. Same with other countries in Europe.

You were comparing gun ownership with violent crime and gun homicides ... You don't get to pick and choose your data just to better suit your argument.

He was saying that crime is lower when there are more armed citizen. I simply pointed out that countries with much lower ownership rates than us have much lower crime rates.

So you think comparing us to an unstable country in Africa is fair?

I'm saying we have too many guns. Criminals have more guns because of that. Would you try to rob someone unarmed? We have an arms race between citizens and criminals. Gun control has proven to greatly reduce mass shootings. It is also unheard of for law enforcement to be gunned down weekly in civilized countries with gun control.

Now your not just grasping at straws but struggling to grasp at them,
Would you try to rob someone unarmed?

first off why don't you just go ahead and say it is impossible to rob someone if guns are banned and see how ridiculous that claim is...and second, a thief is far more likely to rob someone he his 100% sure is unarmed...far more likely...way more likely...let me hear you say you disagree with that, just to make the folly complete

Yet crime in countries with low gun ownership rates is much lower than ours.

BULLSHITE! (In English accent, even)

Have you heard of Germany? Denmark? Japan?

Germany? Where Muslims are taking over? Move there, douchebag.

You're a confirmed idiot.

And yet they have much lower crime rates. And their police aren't being shot weekly.

A study tracking handgun laws on wait periods over a 45-year period found that a delay in obtaining a firearm after purchase reduced gun homicides by 17 percent. That breaks down to about 36 homicides per year for the average state. As of 2014, such laws in 16 states and the District of Columbia prevented about 750 gun homicides per year. If all 50 states required a wait, around 910 more lives could be spared, the authors report.

Yeah those criminals wait a long time for those background checks met me tell you.

Drew Peterson didn't use a gun and neither do countless others. If a man decides to kill his wife, he probably will do so whether he owns a gun or not.
You want to trample the Constitution because of some future crime that hasn't happened yet?

Even Scalia admitted the 2nd amendment has limits. It isn't trampling the constitution to limit weapons for mass killing.

Guns aren't weapons for mass killing. Of the millions of gun owners in this country, the percentage of those that abuse the right to own is very small.

If you are enjoying an evening at home and are interrupted by an intruder that means you and yours harm, would you like to have a firearm or the remote control to save you?

A derringer would do just fine. Don't need and gun for mass killing for defense.

You don't understand what I posted ... The ban itself sold more guns ...Mainly because it didn't actually ban anything.
It just made people who might want one, go out and get one in case the government got stupid and actually banned them in the future.

All you could hear during the ban was ... You better get them now before they make it more difficult (which they never did and never will).

He was saying that crime is lower when there are more armed citizen. I simply pointed out that countries with much lower ownership rates than us have much lower crime rates.

I'm saying you're fulla Shite! UK has higher crime rates than US.

GFY, leftist tool.

If gun ownership lowered crime we would have the least crime in the world as we have by far the most guns. That is not close to being true however.

Uh, yeah ... And ... :dunno:

I mean the law only applies to handguns (in the state where I reside anyways) ... But that really doesn't matter.
I haven't really ever heard anyone complain about the law personally in this circumstance ... Albeit I am sure someone could find a case where that has happened.

It should still be up to the States whether or not they want to institute the policy.
The article is correct in that it doesn't limit anyone from getting a firearm of their choice.
It doesn't make it any harder to purchase a handgun ... You just cannot walk out the store with it that day.

Of course you could go to a sporting goods store and buy a black power pistol, without a background check and walk out the store with it.
That's just in case any of you folks are contemplating suicide and don't want to wait the four days.

Waiting period? But I'm mad now! I can't have the gun now? Dammit to hell then, I'll just use one of the other 30 guns I have to murder someone then!

You don't understand what I posted ... The ban itself sold more guns ...Mainly because it didn't actually ban anything.
It just made people who might want one, go out and get one in case the government got stupid and actually banned them in the future.

All you could hear during the ban was ... You better get them now before they make it more difficult (which they never did and never will).

And people ran out and bought them when it expired. It's all selling guns.

A derringer would do just fine. Don't need and gun for mass killing for defense.

How do you know a derringer would be just fine? Dude... you live in a land of unicorns and other such fantasies.

I'm saying you're fulla Shite! UK has higher crime rates than US.

GFY, leftist tool.

Do they? With the most guns how come we don't have by far the lowest crime rates?

Uh, yeah ... And ... :dunno:

I mean the law only applies to handguns (in the state where I reside anyways) ... But that really doesn't matter.
I haven't really ever heard anyone complain about the law personally in this circumstance ... Albeit I am sure someone could find a case where that has happened.

It should still be up to the States whether or not they want to institute the policy.
The article is correct in that it doesn't limit anyone from getting a firearm of their choice.
It doesn't make it any harder to purchase a handgun ... You just cannot walk out the store with it that day.

Of course you could go to a sporting goods store and buy a black power pistol, without a background check and walk out the store with it.
That's just in case any of you folks are contemplating suicide and don't want to wait the four days.

Waiting period? But I'm mad now! I can't have the gun now? Dammit to hell then, I'll just use one of the other 30 guns I have to murder someone then!

The eff bee eye is now following you.

How do you know a derringer would be just fine? Dude... you live in a land of unicorns and other such fantasies.

Anyone who has actually fired a gun in defense is more rare than bigfoot. Don't be so scared.

If gun ownership lowered crime we would have the least crime in the world as we have by far the most guns. That is not close to being true however.

All I said is that we have lower crime rates than some countries that don't have as many guns per capita.
If you need to extrapolate any additional data from that ... I'll rank it right up there with the rest of the garbage you come up with.

Anyone who has actually fired a gun in defense is more rare than bigfoot. Don't be so scared.

Have you ever? Do you own a gun?

So you are saying that a criminal trying rob rape or murder you won't be slowed or stopped by you having a gun? That pointing 12 gauge shotgun at someone trying to crawl through your window won't give them second thoughts and make them run away? Or that confronting an intruder in your house armed with a knife and you blowing his goddam brains out wont prevent him from completing his crime? What world are you lost in?

upload_2017-10-17_19-33-5.png

Forum List

Back