Study: White liberals dumb themselves down when speaking to minorities

Only the right wing Never gets it; that is why we try to dumb it down.

Is that what you call what you are doing? It kind of makes sense, given your tendency to make up word definitions as you go along.

Is that what you call what you are doing? It kind of makes sense, given your tendency to make up word definitions as you go along.
I don't make them up; I understand them better.

That's what I'm saying. You have your own "understanding" of what they mean that no one else does.
no wonder i keep trying to dumb it down for the right wing. only the right wing, never gets it.

That's what I'm saying. You have your own "understanding" of what they mean that no one else does.
no wonder i keep trying to dumb it down for the right wing. only the right wing, never gets it.

That's because you invent new meanings for words. There's no way to "get it" when you just make up new meanings. Example, in your world, unemployment compensation means you get paid even if you refuse available work. Equal protection under the law means you get paid even if you refuse available work. Do you understand?

Funny stuff, certainly not surprising:

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.

Thank God we have smart Republicans.

Come on, even right wingers have to watch this video and laugh. Bill Clinton got aids from Magic Johnson? And Republicans call me a liar? I could never think this stuff up. It would never occur to me.

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.

Come on, even right wingers have to watch this video and laugh. Bill Clinton got aids from Magic Johnson? And Republicans call me a liar? I could never think this stuff up. It would never occur to me.

Show me a "rightwinger" as stupid as Maxine Waters, for real.

Now as stupid as Maxine Waters is, imagine how stupid the voters in her district must be.

I'm not talking about political disagreements here , I'm talking about this woman is dumb. I would bet a lot of money that her IQ isn't above 80.

Now as stupid as Maxine Waters is, imagine how stupid the voters in her district must be.

I'm not talking about political disagreements here , I'm talking about this woman is dumb. I would bet a lot of money that her IQ isn't above 80.

Why do you think she’s stupid?

Seriously? You're asking why Maxine is stupid?!

He knows she's stupid.

He knows she's stupid.
Dean might just be stupid enough not to understand that Maxine is stupid.

That's because you invent new meanings for words. There's no way to "get it" when you just make up new meanings. Example, in your world, unemployment compensation means you get paid even if you refuse available work. Equal protection under the law means you get paid even if you refuse available work. Do you understand?
equal protection of the law means the People may also benefit. And, it is still more cost effective than welfare.

equal protection of the law means the People may also benefit. And, it is still more cost effective than welfare.

No, you want it to mean that you get paid even if you refuse available work.

As per usual with you, what you post makes no sense

Two liberal "icons" have overseen the two worst recoveries from recessions in this nation's history! Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Barack Obama gave us The Great Depression and The Great Recession.

You mean the ones which started when Republicans were in charge.

"Hey, you guys didn't fix what we fucked up fast enough!!"

"Here's an idea. Don't put you in charge where you can fuck things up!"

Here's an idea, Joey! Lean a little bit about the history of recessions in the US! We have them on a regular basis and some of them have been as bad if not worse than this last recession yet they didn't become prolonged like The Great Depression or The Great Recession? At what point do you on the left want to admit that progressive policies seem to make recessions linger on forever?

Ah...the irony of R-Derp accusing others of being stupid!

Here's an idea, Joey! Lean a little bit about the history of recessions in the US! We have them on a regular basis and some of them have been as bad if not worse than this last recession yet they didn't become prolonged like The Great Depression or The Great Recession? At what point do you on the left want to admit that progressive policies seem to make recessions linger on forever?

Again, if this is "normal", why did 9 of the last 10 start when Republicans were in charge?

The GOP argument is, 'You don't fix the economy fast enough after we fuck it up!"

I think it's time we call you jokers on this.

Forum List

Back