Study: White liberals dumb themselves down when speaking to minorities

only the right wing, never gets it. i even try one liners for simplicity.

uhhhhh.....no.
That would be because of your limited vocabulary and lack of intellect actually.

But your "excuse" is perfectly aligned with typical Liberal BS so at least you're consistent.
I subscribe to the federal doctrine. There is no provision for excuses.

You simply understand practically nothing and like it.

I've read your drivel, same worn out shit all loons spew and you come across as dense

only the right wing, never gets it. i even try one liners for simplicity.

uhhhhh.....no.
That would be because of your limited vocabulary and lack of intellect actually.

But your "excuse" is perfectly aligned with typical Liberal BS so at least you're consistent.
I subscribe to the federal doctrine. There is no provision for excuses.

You simply understand practically nothing and like it.

I've read your drivel, same worn out shit all loons spew and you come across as dense
gossip from a girl? what drivel are you referring to.

Funny stuff, certainly not surprising:

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.
Because poor uneducated white people in Appalachia are so smart, that’s why they don’t even need education.

You're the one to ramble on about uneducated, anyone reading your drivel knows you struggled throughout any educational endeavors
So you attack the person, but not the message? Hmm, Interesting.

Who really thinks that talking down to people is a political thing owned by one party, sounds like a personal problem to me.

Cankles; " I ain't in no way tarrd" and she always carries hot sauce.

Like that?
Yes...just like that! Like talking to not very bright children. It's wonderful example of the inherent racism that goes into making a left winger....someone who knows po' colored folks are just too dumb to care for themselves so mommy has to do for them.

You are aware, of course, that that which is actually being done is generally the exact opposite thereof, no? A
Yes.
may not nearly be enough to remedy the results of centuries of racism?
Yes I know. I'm not suggesting it will solve everything.

Thanks, good to know.

Explain, then, if you will...

"The soft bigotry of low expectations". Definitely a liberal hangup.​

... how you jump from a study on language used while socializing to the slanderous, rightarded insult to intelligence directed at educational policies? For I can't find much by way of a link between the two, and even less of a link to Mac's bigoted stereotyping of liberals, for that matter.
I haven't any idea what you are asking.

So you attack the person, but not the message? Hmm, Interesting.
This, from the person who had just insulted a large group of people:
Because poor uneducated white people in Appalachia are so smart, that’s why they don’t even need education.
Mind-blowing.

Let people like this be a cautionary tale, folks. Don't let a partisan ideology consume you.

It blinds you, and it can make you this nasty and transparent and hypocritical.

And gee, they just keep trying to change the subject, don't they?

No surprise, of course.

Last edited:
Funny stuff, certainly not surprising:

White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends - The Washington Post

“White liberals may unwittingly draw on negative stereotypes, dumbing themselves down in a likely well-meaning, ‘folksy,’ but ultimately patronizing, attempt to connect with the outgroup,” argues the paper, titled “Self-Presentation in Interracial Settings: The Competence Downshift by White Liberals.”

The findings, based on what the authors stress is “preliminary evidence,” raise difficult questions about aspirations for a so-called post-racial society. The results reveal how subtle forms of discrimination may coincide with progress toward equal treatment, or what the paper identifies as “a significant reduction in the expression of explicit prejudice and endorsement of negative stereotypes.”

The psychologists further discovered that white liberals rarely admit to the goal of appearing less competent, a fact that highlights the role of implicit bias and “the covert nature of the competence downshift strategy.”

“It’s somewhat counterintuitive,” said Dupree, who is the lead author and whose research was supported by the National Science Foundation as well as by Princeton’s Joint Degree Program in Social Policy. “The idea that people who are most well intentioned toward racial minorities, the people actually showing up and wanting to forge these connections, they’re the ones who seem to be drawing on stereotypes to do so.”

Consumed with skin color. STOP LOWERING STANDARDS FOR MINORITIES. Enough already.

What's the point of this thread you started Mac? I think this report is mostly b.s. Sure, academics come up with this stuff for a living. Most of them don't have much real world experience I believe. In the meantime, Blacks and other minorities will continue voting mainly democrat because republicans have nothing to offer them.

the slanderous, rightarded insult to intelligence directed at educational policies?
Like this. If you are going to drop a bombastic, cryptic opinion, try to remember I cannot read your thoughts

Am I really expressing myself so badly as to be incomprehensible? All you needed to do was to remember what you yourself posted:

"The soft bigotry of low expectations". Definitely a liberal hangup.​

That's you quoting the rightarded insult to intelligence: "The soft bigotry of low expectations".

So, explain, please. Mac quoted a report on a study on socializing, adjusting verbiage to a target audience.

Starting from that, how did you arrive at "The soft bigotry of low expectations"?

For to me adjusting one's verbiage to the target audience is a social skill, as teachers addressing their students at a level the overwhelming majority can understand is a teaching skill. Besmirching either or both as bigoted seems to me to be missing the point of communication entirely. That's setting aside that education, and coping with students of profoundly different backgrounds and skill levels in a classroom, is a problem of such complexity, the attempt at debating it by way of a bumper sticker is grossly inadequate. And that's, again, setting aside that the slanderous insult ("The soft bigotry of low expectations") is but a rightarded propaganda ploy to undermine public support for public education. Rebleating same is, well, something I didn't quite expect from you, to be honest.

Forum List

Back